Kiwi interviews & articles - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #31
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi interviews & articles

thank you so much neely!!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #32
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kiefer's aces high for Asian tsunami victims
Agence France-Presse

German tennis star Nicolas Kiefer said on Tuesday he will donate $100 per ace he serves in three Australian tournaments towards victims of the Asian tsunamis.
"For every ace, starting now in Adelaide, then in Sydney, and finally in Melbourne, I will donate $100.

"Against Sjeng Schalken, I served five aces, or $500," for the victims of the devastating tsunamis in the Indian Ocean area that killed almost 150,000 people, Kiefer said on his website.

"I'd love to improve on that figure against my next opponent, Frenchman Cyril Saulnier — and of course progress in the tournament," he said.
from HindustanTimes.com

Old 01-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #33
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Big Boris Becker Interview...

Quote:
"They only go for winners"

Before the start of the Australian open: Boris Becker about ways out of the crisis of the German tennis and the model Jürgen Klinsmann.

20 years ago, Boris Becker won for the first time Wimbledon. "Only with the age coming, you're really conscious", he says, "what there really has happened."

By Stefan Frommann and Alexandra Gross

There could have been a hardly more beautiful start. The German tennis was after 10 years again in the Hopman Cup final, the Mixed Championships for tennis professionals in Perth. That's no Australian open, even less Wimbledon, but a positive note after a year, which was more a headache than joy for the German tennis.

But Tommy Haas had to retire after winning the 1st set 7:5 against the French-Open finalist Coria and fears for his participation for the Australian open, which will beginn on 17 January in Melbourne.

Where does the German tennis stand in 2005? Which hopes can Haas, Kiefer & CO awake? The Berliner Morgenpost spoke with Boris Becker (37), the former number one.

Welcome in 2005, Mr. Becker. How do you feel, 20 years for your first Wimbledon victory?

Boris Becker: More experienced, wiser. My God, that's already twenty years ago? Some moments and game situations from that time are still very present to me. About some others I forgot completely. But that's probably better this way.

Also does the admiration for your sports successes grow with the age?

If you are in the middle of it, you don't realize some things at all. Only at the age, once becomes conscious, what actually really passed there. I am after 20 years still the youngest Wimbledon champion and I hold further records.

When did you tell your children the last time about Wimbleon?

In principle, I do not tell them nothing at all about it, only if they ask me. And they do that only, if they are in London and run around on the area. I didn't tell a Wimbledon story at Christmas.

The only thing, which was constant from German view on the tennis year 2004, was the inconsistency. The most pleasing was probably the comeback of Tommy Haas, wasn't it?

After two difficult shoulder operations and an 18 month break, it was unsure if he could pick up playing professional tennis at all again. When he returned with the tournament win in Houston, that was impressive. He knocked again at the door for the world's elite. Many did not expect that in such a way. What a pity that he had to retire with injury at the Hopman Cup.

Haas seems to have become more mature.

The difficult times also let him develop as a person. As a half Florida native, he also had to see that heavy crisis exist and that there is not only sunshine. Besides that, he experienced who are his real friends and upon whom he can rely on at difficult times.

Nicolas Kiefer found the way back again to old strength. However, he was stopped due to his right wrist injury during the US Open

That was very unfortunate. Kiefer was on an unbelievably good way back. If he remained healthy, he would have finished the season as the best German player. After some grey years, he recognized his chance and made use of it.

What seperates Kiefer from the others?

He has a terribly quick hand, and its strongest impact is the return. That can be done only if you have a eye hand coordination, which is particularly fast. So he can decide in last second, where he returns. Kiefer's most important body instrument is the wrist. Therefore, even more heavily weighed his wrist injury.

Rainer Schüttler was in 2003 in the Masters semi-final, now he is ranked #42 in the world.

Figurativy expressed one can say that Rainer ran out of gas. The strongest weapon was always his body. Rainer was the fittest player on the Tour. But recently, the body was his weakness. But I think, that his problem was mental and pyschological. He was mentally simply flat. He had to endure a lot of first round losses which left its impact on his self-confidence. I hope that Schüttler becomes again a feared opponent.

We should still speak about the youngest one, about Florian Mayer. Does he have things to create the break-through in 2005?

He came out of nowhere, but the pressure for Mayer increased, the opponents got accustomed to his play and have a plan ready against him. That is new for him. However, he is our hope and a very bright spot. I am sure that he will improve and that he will be ranked higher.

That would be good for the German tennis. 2004 was not a success when failing to get to the World Group.

If Haas, Kiefer, Schüttler, Mayer and maybe Alexander Waske for the double are healthy, I have no doubt that we will get back to the World Group this year. Presumed the best team is playing. Once when Germany returned to the World Group, this team has the chance to go far in the 2006 Davis Cup. How far this will be, that is difficult to predict. The only thing that is sure is that we have world class players.

Is Patrik Kühnen an ideal captain for such goals?

He accomplished something what neither Becker nor Stich or Steeb have created. He formed again a unit between the young players. Therefore, not only the DTB, but above all, the players decided that Patrik in any case should continue his job.

Does a sports like tennis have a future in Germany?

I am convinced that we crossed the bottom of the valley. But the mountain is high. Graf, Stich and Becker were quite good at their times. And the young players were rated for a long time on our successes and our tennis boom. That was not completely fair and it is one of the reasons, why we came at all into this low. But now the real tennis fans and sponsors are again there. For example, the booking of tickets for the Hamburger Rothenbaum Masters is going much better than the previous two years.

But each successful kind of sport needs their star.

Naturally, everybody is waiting for one to come, for someone who reaches the semifinal in Wimbledon or who takes the Davis Cup team back to the World Group, and immediately everbody would talk again all about tennis. Many partners, sponsors and investors are waiting for that to happen, they want to jump again on tennis.

Saying that, you already almost soundlike the future president of the German Tennis Federation.

However, furtunately, I'm not. I am the biggest tennis fan of Germany, but not more.

In tennis, you are what Franz Beckenbauer is for soccer. Wouldn't it be a logical consequence that you become DTB president some day?

Honestly - that does not stand to discussion for me. That isn't even worth a consideration. It is simply not my desire, but I am now perhaps still 20 years too young. I am good friends with the current president, Mr. Georg von Waldenfels. There is a good exchange of ideas. That could be still intensified and tied together more closely. As a Chairman for Masters at the Rothenbaum, I am more than occupied. There I can do all things that I want.

Can there be a tennis boom in Germany again?

That's well possible. The people now want the new ones, the field is there. It is about the players to notice and to take this chance.

How should Haas, Kiefer or Mayer to drag masses along, how you had done it at that time?

The conditions for that are not blue eyes and not black curls - those are victories. Only if you win, you arouse emotions, passion, highlights - and also pain after defeats.

Would one of the German Top players mentioned have the necessary charisma to keep again fans awake at night in front of the television?

I cannot judge that. But each player has its personality and naturally also errors and weaknesses. Clear is, that the fan changes the sides quickly. At the moment he switches on the television, he wants to be entertained. And best would be by a victory - tiebreaks and five sets included. The basis however always is that the player wins. When Schüttler reached the final in Melbourne, suddenly the newspaper pages were full about it. Everybody asked, who is Schüttler, from where does he come from? This can go very fast. If all factors accumulate, then you get a Roger Federer. But this happens once in a hundred years. Another example comes to my mind with Jürgen Klinsmann in soccer.

Why Klinsmann?

He was extremely criticized in summer. There he said exactly what he wants to do. Now he won a few times, and everything is good. You go to a winner afterwards. Why is Franz Beckenbauer so popular? That got the World Championship not only as a player, then as a coach, but now as a National Committee President.

What's your biggest wish for the tennis year 2005?

That the German Davis Cup team returns to the World Group, that we have again a top 10 player and second one who is close to that. And, of course, that at the Rothenbaum one of our guys reaches the semi-final.

Who is the most capable to do that?

The first name which comes to my mind is Tommy Haas. Nicolas Kiefer is also not far away.

On which would you rather bet: That Germany becomes FIFA World Champion in 2006 or that a German tennis player wins Wimbledon?

(after long considering): That Germany become FIFA World Champion.

Why?

Because the goal is clearly formulated in soccer. Jürgen Klinsmann and also Michael Ballack clearly said: We want to become World Champions. From Haas, Kiefer or Schüttler I did not hear such statements ever. As a sportsman you need a clear goal and the correct attitude, in order to also reach the goals. Without a goal the pressure situation is not so large. I miss with the German tennis professionals the statement: I would like to be the best player of the world. Point, end, out.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:26 AM   #34
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

SpaceCowgirl posted this over in the AO thread... If anyone could translate I'd love you for life

Quote:
Kiefer exklusiv: "Feinabstimmung verbessern"

Sie leiden unter einer Erkältung. Können Sie in dieser Hinsicht schon Entwarnung geben?

Nicolas Kiefer: Noch nicht ganz. Ich habe in den letzten Tagen nie mehr als 45 Minuten am Stück trainieren können. Ich brauche diese Erholung, schlafe viel, trinke viel - etwa acht bis zehn Liter am Tag. Es ist doch besser jetzt krank zu sein, als in zwei Wochen. Ich hoffe natürlich, dass ich so schnell wie möglich wieder fit bin.

Vor ihrer Erkältung lief das Jahr schon sehr gut an. Wie sehen Sie ihre Chancen für die Australien Open?

Kiefer: Das ist immer eine Frage der Tagesform. Aktuell bin ich noch nicht in Top-Form. Ich muss mich einfach in Geduld üben und meinen Ehrgeiz ein wenig zurückschrauben. Von meiner körperlichen Verfassung im letzten Sommer bin ich noch ziemlich weit entfernt - da muss ich mich erst wieder langsam herantasten. Und wie bei jedem großen Turnier muss man sich erst einmal dort "hineinspielen" - das geht nicht von einer Sekunde auf die andere.

In den letzten Jahren hat das nicht immer ganz geklappt. Das Aus kam schon relativ früh. Wo sehen Sie rückblickend die Gründe, dass es in Melbourne seit 2001 nicht mehr so gut für Sie gelaufen ist?

Kiefer: Das liegt alles lange zurück. In den drei, vier Jahren ist eine Menge passiert. Ich bin reifer, älter und erwachsener geworden. Ich höre jetzt mehr auf meinen Körper. Aus diesem Grund habe ich zum Beispiel auch nicht diese Woche in Sydney gespielt. Ich war müde, was sicherlich auch auf meinen Virus zurückzuführen ist. Ich versuche einfach, mich angemessen auf die großen Turniere vorzubereiten. Die körperliche Verfassung ist - abgesehen von meiner Erkältung - gut. Den ganzen November und Dezember habe ich komplett für die Vorbereitung nutzen können.

Alles zu den Australien Open 2004

Ihr Ehrgeiz ist unverkennbar. Sie waren ja auch schon sehr erfolgreich in Melbourne, standen zwei Mal im Viertelfinale. Wenn sie in diesem Jahr die ersten zwei Matches überstehen, was ist dann noch drin für Sie?

Kiefer: Wie gesagt - man muss sich einfach ins Match hineinkämpfen und hereinspielen. Letzte Woche hatte ich zusammen mit dem Doppel fünf Matches. Diese Woche muss ich mich natürlich angesichts der Erkältung wieder "auffrischen". Ich versuche aber immer, an meinen Stärken anzuknüpfen. Ich arbeite quasi wie ein Motor, der braucht immer wieder mal Öl, um zu laufen. Bei mir muss eben auch wieder alles ins Laufen kommen.

Wie entscheidend ist die Auslosungsfrage, um ganz weit nach vorne ins Halbfinale oder Finale zu kommen?

Kiefer: Eindeutig ist mein Ziel bei den Turnieren vorne mit zu mischen. Ich habe den großen Vorteil aufgrund meiner letzten Ergebnisse wieder gesetzt zu sein. Das kann mir helfen. Die gute Form, die ich zum Jahresende vorweisen konnte, motiviert mich erneut. Da möchte ich wieder hinkommen. Ich will so viel wie möglich gewinnen. Ich treffe den Ball gut, die Feinabstimmung fehlt bei manchen Schlägen noch etwas. Die ersten Runden werde ich dafür nutzen, um diese Schwäche zu überwinden. Es gilt die Devise "Best of five" - da kann immer viel passieren.

Wie sehen Sie den Rebound Ace-Belag in Melbourne? Passt er zu Ihrer Spielweise?

Kiefer: Es wurde viel darüber diskutiert, ob er zu schnell oder zu langsam ist. Ich bin mit dem Belag sehr zufrieden, hohe Absprünge sind gut möglich und eigentlich alle sonstigen Schläge auch. Ich bin zwar erst seit Sonntag hier und habe seitdem noch nicht sehr oft auf dem Belag spielen können, aber die paar Male verliefen ohne Probleme.

Wer sind für Sie die Favoriten in Melbourne?

Kiefer: Natürlich Roger Federer. Ich habe ihn beim Trainieren ein wenig beobachtet. Er wird sicherlich wieder ganz vorne mit dabei sein. Ein paar "Underdogs" gibt es natürlich auch immer. Entscheidend ist wie gesagt, dass man sich schon in den ersten Runden ins Turnier "hineinkämpft".
Old 05-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #35
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

http://focus.msn.de/hps/fol/newsausg...e.htm?id=13875
Quote:
Liebeskummer: Kiefer kämpft um seine Ex

Es gibt etwas, was sich Tennis-Crack Nicolas Kiefer mehr wünscht, als Platz 1 in der Weltrangliste.

Kiefer will seine Ex-Freundin Inga zurück, von der er sich kurz vor Weihnachten getrennt hatte, wie „Bild am Sonntag“ berichtete. „Wir haben uns auseinandergelebt. Ich ständig auf Tour, sie büffelte für ihr Examen als Juristin", so Kiefer. Doch er habe nie aufgehört, sie zu lieben.

„Telefonieren fast täglich“

„Ich gebe zu, nach der Trennung habe ich oft geheult", gestand Kiefer. „Eine wie sie kriege ich nie mehr.“ Jetzt habe er wieder Hoffnung. „Inga hat ihre Prüfungen endlich geschafft. Wir telefonieren fast täglich, treffen uns zum Essen.“

Er wolle sie nicht drängen, doch er hoffe auf ein erneutes Liebes-Doppel. „Das wäre schöner als Platz 1 in der Weltrangliste", so Kiefer.
Heartsickness: Kiefer is fighting for his ex-girlfriend

There is something what would be more important for tennis pro Nicolas Kiefer than being ranked #1 in tennis.

Kiefer wants to have his ex-girlfriend Inga back, with whom he split up short before Christmas, as reported by "Bild am Sonntag". "We drifted apart. I'm always on the Tour, she was studying for her exam as lawyer", said Kiefer. But he never stopped loving her.

"I admit that I cried often after we split up", Kiefer said. "I will never get again one like her." Now, he has hope again. "Inga finally has done her exams. We are talking on the phone almost daily, we are going out for food."

He doesn't want to push her, but he hopes for a renewed "love doubles". Kiefer: "That would be nice than #1 in the rankings"

---------------

Poor Kiwi
I wish him the best possible solution that he can be happy off and on the tennis court

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Old 05-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #36
country flag kek

kek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond reputekek has a reputation beyond repute

Nicolas seems to wear his heart on his sleeve. I hope he and Inga gets back together. I like the fact that she wants to have her career as well and seems like a smart independent woman. I always hate seeing players with their trophy looking gf's who have as much intelligence as a rock.
kek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #37
country flag Neely
-

Sport1 interview translated:
http://www.sport1.de/coremedia/gener...205_20mel.html

Quote:
"Then I should better not play there anymore"

Hamburg - Nicolas Kiefer was upset because of two reasons.

First, because he lost to Sebastien Grosjean in the 2nd round of the Hamburg Masters, second, because the late scheduling drove him crazy.

"We must get support"

Simply because of the TV broadcast, Kiefer had to play the evening session, although he had agreed with tournament director Walter Knapper to be scheduled on the afternoon.

The 27 year-old will draw the consequences about that: "I like playing tournaments in Germany, because I owe that to my fans. But I'm thinking about it if I'm coming back to Hamburg next year. If that happens again, I'm not coming anymore. Why should I play there if they're scheduling my matches when they want? We're in Germany here and the German players have to be supported", he said angrily on Sport1.de.

"I was agreed upon with Waltner Knapper, that I can play in the afternoon. Normally, you would think that German players are accommodated at a German tournament. I prepared myself as if I had played at noon and then I get to hear that I'm going to play at the evening", said Kiefer.

Because of the warmer temperatures, the surface would have been faster what would have suited Kiefer's game. Instead of that, the Hannoverian had to play at evil cold around half past eight at the evening.

Bad TV ratings

The calculation with the TV ratings of the channel XXP didn't come out even, neither did Kiefer's match: Only 20000 were supposed to have followed the match.

"I spoke with Boris about that, he also couldn't understand the late scheduling because of this little channel. That cannot be an explanation and it's simply a lame excuse. The evening before, a German also didn't play. If XXP really had an interest in me remaining in this tournament, they'd better had it done the way I liked it", Kiefer explained.

Home court advantage not used

Despite all, Kiefer doesn't want the outer circumstanctes to be valid as an excuse, like other German players did it.

"I started really well and I played agressively as I wanted to. Then I lost a bit my plot and the tension. This can happen, but it's a pity because I wanted it so badly", Kiefer said disappointed.

"At the end it's me and about me what I do on the court. I had my chances and I didn't take them, but to really let me advance, they should have better scheduled me at noon, when the surface was faster. We must use our home court advantage, like in Davis Cup, but this isn't done here. I'm coming to Germany and I'm getting disadvantages. So why should I play here again?", the 27 year-old was wondering.

Planning reliability in Düsseldorf

Kiefer knows about that he isn't going to create himself many friends by saying this critic. But the he holds on his oppinion and doesn't want to disguise.

His anticipation is the World Team Cup in Düsseldorf next week. There he has two certainties: He can play there three times and it's going to be for sure in the afternoon.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:00 AM   #38
country flag Neely
-

http://www.netzeitung.de/sport/tennis/340728.html

Quote:
Kiefer: "Jeden Tag so ein Spiel, dann ist man reif für die Anstalt"

Nicolas Kiefer hat sich gegen Arnaud Clement ein denkwürdiges Match geliefert. Nun steht er bei den French Open in der dritten Runde - und traut sich einiges zu.

Von Jörg Allmeroth, Paris
Es war ein schrilles Vergnügen an der Grenze zum Wahnsinn. Es war ein ebenso bizarrer wie leidenschaftlicher Kampf von Nicolas Kiefer gegen Arnaud Clement und 14.000 tobende Fans. Und es war ein ziemlich verrücktes Abenteuer, das für den siegreichen deutschen Tennis-Profi mit der zutreffenden Erkenntnis endete: «Jeden Tag so ein Spiel, dann ist man reif für die Anstalt.»

Dramatisches Duell
Vier Stunden lang brauchte Kiefer am Donnerstagabend, um den unermüdlichen Tennis-Arbeiter Clement auf der Hauptbühne der French Open, dem «Court Central», in die Knie zu zwingen. Hinter den nackten Zahlen des 4:6, 6:2, 6:2, 4:6, 6:4-Sieg verbarg sich eins der dramatischsten Duelle der letzten Pariser Grand Slam-Jahre – und eins der denkwürdigsten in Kiefers Karriere: «Was sich da draußen abgespielt hat, war nicht mehr normal», befand selbst Kiefers sonst so stoischer schwedischer Coach Thomas Hogstedt.

Fast wie Martina Hingis in dem unvergesslichen Damenfinale des Jahrgangs 99 gegen Steffi Graf hatte Kiefer schließlich die ganze Arena gegen sich aufgebracht – mit zweideutigen Gesten, angezweifelten Schiedsrichterentscheidungen und wilden Wutausbrüchen, bei denen er den Zuschauern in der ersten Reihe bedrohlich nahe kam. «Heute standen wahrscheinlich zehn Kiefers auf dem Platz – der gute Kiwi, der böse Kiwi, der brave Kiwi, der aggressive Kiwi», sagte Kiefer später; «die Stimmung war echt brutal, das hat mich aber erst so richtig heiß gemacht.» Statt die Atmosphäre zu beruhigen und zu entspannen, reizte Halb-Franzose Kiefer die Masse hitzig bis aufs Blut – in einer Verfassung, die mitunter an Untergangslaune oder vorsätzliche Selbstzerstörung erinnerte.

Kurioses Spiel
Genau so unberechenbar wie Kiefers Emotionen war auch seine sportliche Performance – ein kurioses Wechselspiel zwischen himmlischem und höllischem Niveau. An geniale Schläge reihte der Hannoveraner unfassbare Fehler an, über die sich, so Argentiniens Ex-Star Guillermo Vilas als Augenzeuge, «auch ein blutiger Amateur zurecht bitter geärgert hätte.» Wie ein unfreiwilliger Verwandlungskünstler kam sich auch Kiefer selbst vor: «Es war mal supergeil, dann grottenschlecht. Ich war oft genug an einem Herzinfarkt dran.»

Nach der turbulentesten Spielphase, als er im vierten Satz nach 0:5-Rückstand und Aufholjagd zum 4:5 doch sein Service zum 4:6 verlor, flüchtete Kiefer sogar unter höhnischem Gelächter und einem ohrenbetäubenden Pfeifkonzert aus dem Sand-Kasten. In der Toilette brüllte der Deutsche sich selbst im Spiegel an und ahnte später, «dass einige Leute sich da sicher gefragt haben: Was ist denn mit dem los?»

Immerhin: Im Nervenspiel des fünften, alles entscheidenden Durchgangs blieb Kiefer kühl genug, um ein frühes Break zum 1:0 eisern zu verteidigen. «Dass ich mich da behauptet habe, gibt einen Riesenschub.» Auch Kiefers mitleidende französische Oma Emilienne beglückwünschte zu guter Letzt den Enkel telefonisch zur gewonnenen «Schlacht im Hexenkessel», wenn auch nicht ohne erhobenen Zeigefinger: «Sie war überglücklich. Aber sie war auch ein bisschen sauer wegen der Mätzchen», so Kiefer, «sie kennt sonst eben nur die lieben Seiten von mir.»

Das Ende aller Nettigkeit auf dem Court nahm Kiefer aber auch als gutes Zeichen, wieder an die Stärken aus dem Spätsommer des letzten Jahres anknüpfen zu können – der Zeit vor seiner Handgelenksverletzung bei den US Open 2004: «Ich bin innerlich wieder explodiert. Da sind endlich die richtige Emotionalität und das nötige Selbstbewusstsein drin», sagte der 27-jährige, der überhaupt zum ersten Mal seit vier Jahren wieder die dritte Runde eines Sandplatzturniers erreichte.

Dort muss für ihn gegen den Russen Igor Andrejew noch längst nicht die Endstation erreicht sein: «Das ist eine machbare Geschichte. Aber ich muss vom ersten Moment an Vollgas geben.» Eine neue, bizarre Saga wie gegen Clement will Kiefer tunlichst vermeiden, schon wegen seiner Oma: «Auf Dauer hält sie das nicht aus.» Die Dame ist schließlich schon 90 Jahre alt.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:14 AM   #39
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely

i have no idea what that article says, but i LOVE your new avatar
Old 05-28-2005, 02:19 AM   #40
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
Kiefer tanzt Polka
Der deutsche Tennisspieler zeigt in Paris viele Gesichter

PARIS, 27. Mai. Doch, auch als gespaltene Persönlichkeit kann man ein schönes Leben führen. Zumindest, wenn man so strukturiert ist wie Nicolas Kiefer, 27, und ein großes Spielfeld hat, auf dem die Persönlichkeiten miteinander Polka tanzen können. Ein paar Schritte in eine Richtung, hopp, ein paar in die andere, hopp, dann alles wieder von vorn. Nach der abenteuerlichen, fast vier Stunden dauernden Partie gegen den Franzosen Arnaud Clement berichtete er sichtlich amüsiert, zehn Kiefers hätten diesmal auf dem Platz gestanden: der gute, der böse, der aggressive, der passive, der verrückte und diverse mehr.

Da stellt sich natürlich die Frage, ob er wirklich die ganze Tanztruppe braucht. Ob es nicht sogar passieren kann, dass sich seine Jungs gegenseitig aus dem Konzept bringen und sich auf die Füße treten. Wenn der eine protestiert und mit dem Schläger Blumen aus der Dekoration köpft, worauf das empfindliche Pariser Publikum gleich mit gellenden Pfiffen reagiert, und wenn sich der andere drei Sekunden später wieder so im Griff haben muss, dass er mit einem Aufschlag von 200 Sachen einen Breakball abwehren kann. "Vielleicht brauchte er das alles, um sich anzuspornen", meinte der besiegte Clement, und Kiefers Beschreibungen lassen darauf schließen, dass der Franzose mit dieser Einschätzung nicht falsch liegt. Er sagt, die Reaktionen des Publikums hätten ihn noch heißer gemacht; das Ganze sei ein Riesenspaß gewesen, und das spektakuläre Wechselspiel seiner Hochs und Tiefs habe ihn an Athen erinnert, an das Doppelfinale mit Rainer Schüttler. Ein gefährliches Spiel, auf das er sich da eingelassen hat, denn im Schwall der Emotionen hat schon mancher den Überblick verloren.

Alles sehr heiter
Andererseits ist Kiefer immer dann am besten gewesen, wenn er nicht den coolen Jungen spielen wollte, sondern sein Innerstes nach außen kehrte. Gegen den instabilen, schon seit mehr als einem Jahr nicht in Bestform spielenden Clement machte er mit sehenswertem Kampfgeist vieles wett, gegen einen stocksoliden Spieler wie den Russen Igor Andrejew in der nächsten Runde wird er die Polkatruppe ein bisschen besser koordinieren müssen. Auch, um seiner armen Großmutter weitere Aufregungen zu ersparen.

Die alte Dame ist 90, lebt 200 Kilometer von Paris entfernt und sieht den Enkel immer dann bei der Arbeit, wenn er vom französischen Fernsehen gezeigt wird. Er sagt, sie kenne ihn nur von der ganz lieben Seite, habe ihn wegen des Wechselspiels gegen Clement beim Telefonat danach aber auch ein wenig zur Ordnung gerufen. Doch, man muss schon sagen, die Stimmung im deutschen Tennis ist Ende der ersten Woche in Paris schon lange nicht mehr so gut gewesen; alles sehr nett, alles sehr heiter.

Thomas Haas und Nicolas Kiefer für Runde drei qualifiziert, für bilaterale Begegnungen mit den Russen Nikolai Dawydenko (Haas) und Igor Andrejew. Und auch Anna-Lena Grönefeld, 19, ist weiter am Werk. Die Blondine aus dem Norden spielte beim souveränen 6:1, 6:0 gegen Anna Smashnova aus Israel wie aus einem Guss und registrierte zufrieden eine deutliche Steigerung gegenüber der ersten Partie.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:28 AM   #41
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleternity
i have no idea what that article says, but i LOVE your new avatar
Thanks, yours are also brilliant as usual Damn, this match gave us some good material
As for the articles, well, I've just collected a two that I thought are interesting enough to read (for those who understand German) and just for the archive as I think (hope) he doesn't play such matches too often
I will translate the most relevent and interesting parts of it tomorrow (I'd better say "today") when I have some more time.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:32 AM   #42
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
Thanks, yours are also brilliant as usual Damn, this match gave us some good material
As for the articles, well, I've just collected a two that I thought are interesting enough to read (for those who understand German) and just for the archive as I think (hope) he doesn't play such matches too often
I will translate the most relevent and interesting parts of it tomorrow (I'd better say "today") when I have some more time.

Yes I saw these pictures before I found out about the drama that went down during his match but he's soooo adorable in the pictures and so happy that Rafa and Carlos Costa had to take a back seat to Kiwi again We are the winners of most awesome avatars

Awesome I just commented cuz I couldn't rep you again so soon...
Old 05-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #43
country flag Neely
-

--
Quote:
Kiefer: "Every day such a match, and you would be used up for the madhouse"

Nicolas Kiefer was involved in a memorable match with Arnaud Clement. Now he's in the third round and has reason to hope for more.

Of Jörg Allmeroth, Paris
It was a kind of flashy pleasure at the frontier of insanity. It was a very weird, but at the same time a very passionate battle of Nicolas Kiefer against Arnaud Clement and 14000 uproarious fans. And it was a bizarre adventure for the German tennis pro with the fitting conclusion: "Every day such a match and you would be used up for the madhouse."

Dramatic duell
Nicolas Kiefer needed four hours on Thursday evening to get disposed of the never-ending to fight Arnaud Clement on the main stage of the French Open, the Court Central. Behind the bare numbers of the 4:6 6:2 6:2 4:6 6:4 victory was hidden one of the most dramatic duells of recent Parisian Grand Slam history - and one of the most memoric of Kiefer's career: "What was going on out there, was not normal anymore", even his normally stoically quiet Swedish coach Thomas Hogstedt noticed.

Almost like Martina Hingis in the unforgettable women's final of 1999 against Steffi Graf, Kiefer had the whole arena against himself - with ambiguous gestures, argueing calls and temper tantrums during those he came the spectators in the first rows quite close. "Today there must have been 10 Kiwis on the court - the good Kiwi, the evil Kiwi, the well-behaved Kiwi, the aggressive Kiwi", said Kiefer later, "the atmosphere was really tough, that got me fired up". Instead of calming down and relaxing the atmosphere, the half-Frenchman Kiefer set the crowd's nerves on edge in a way that looked like self-destruction.

Strange match
Equally unpredictable like Kiefer's emotions was his sports-wise performance which ranked between play from heaven and play from hell. The Hannoverian connected with unbelievable mistakes on pretty points and Argentina's Guillermo Vilas as eyewitness said that "every amateur would have been upset about these errors". Also Kiefer said: "It was very good, then grusome. I was close to a heart attack many times."

After the most eventful period of the match, the fourth set as he was down 0:5, rallied back to 4:5 just to lose his serve again for the set, Kiefer took refuge in a toilet break under sneering laughs and loud boos by the crowd. In the restroom he was looking into the mirror and yelled at himself and thought that "some people probably wondered what's going on with me?"

Nevertheless: In the battles of nerves, the all decisive set, Kiefer remained cool enough to defend his early break at 1:0 with everything he has got until the end. "That I stood up to the task is going to give me big confidence." Also Kiefer's grandma Emilienne congratulated his grandson for his won "battle in the pandemonium", but not without warning: "She was very happy. But also a bit upset with me because of the hokums", so Kiefer, "normally she only knows my good sides."

The end of niceness on the court was also taken as a good sign by Kiefer to get back to his strength of the summer last season - the time before his wrist injury at the US Open: "I innerly exploded again. Finally there was the right emotion and good confidence in a match.", said the 27 year-old, who finally reached the third round of a claycourt tournament for the first time in the last four years.

His next opponent, the Russian Igor Andreev, doesn't necessarily need to be his final destination. "That's a solvable task. But I have to be at full throttle right from the beginning." Kiefer wants to avoid a new bizarre match like against Clement, also being considerate of his grandma: "That would be too much for her in the long run." You must know the lady is already 90 years old.

Old 05-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #44
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

Neely! Thanks so much for the translation!!!

I love the end what he says about his grandma He's so cute! Hopefully she'll see her grandson overcome again today!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:19 PM   #45
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwi gave an interview to the french Tennis Mag' a few months ago. Would you like me to post scans then maybe someone (a francophone Kiwi fan?) would agree to translate it?
I liked what he said.
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote