Federer on surface homogenisation - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #121
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer: "These days players have same speed everywhere"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
What a surprise - 2008 onwards eh? Just when Fed started declining.

2011 US Open was slow definitely but that's not to say EVERY tournament is slower now than in 2004/2005 etc. And as I've said again find me ONE quote where the players complain about the speed? No one has. The court isn't even that much faster - the problem is it's so badly laid that you have to just grip and rip and can't construct a claycourt point on it. Not being able to move and slide means you have to play quick points.

If people want bad courts and strange conditions for variety than so be it. But the issue here is simply safety and poor quality - watching the top players in the world struggling to move is not my idea of an interesting match. What a waste of a tournament.
Avoidance noted.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #122
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
https://twitter.com/#!/alvarorama/st...63395003351040

Federer - the King of blue "clay". He can tell himself that Nadal isn't really that good on clay then. This guy is really something. Fed's still to win Rome & MC though - while Nadal's actually won Madrid (which according to Fed "has been slippery for years" - so there you have it - Nadal's won on slippery clay too apparently ).
He will be the Kind of Blue Clay if he wins the tournament.

He might be the favorite, but Tipsy, Juan and Tomas won't just gift him the win. So let's hold out this Kind of Blue Clay title till the tournament is over, shall we ?
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #123
country flag bluesoleil

bluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond reputebluesoleil has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to be the full quote:

Quote:
Q: Rafa already fallen by the way side and has had some very strong things to say about the blue clay, Do you share their concerns and frustrations having completed 3 matches?

RF: Er....look yes, I've said it already from the start this is not something we actually wanted it was more of a compromise to give this tournament a sort of a test week on blue clay, we are actually against it. So it was more of a deal made between the CEO and Tiriac, look...we thought to a degree it was innovated I really hoped the court was going to be perfect and not something that is silppy like this so I understand their frustrations, bu then again I came in a time back in 99 where indoors was brutally fast clay was slow grass was fast and we had to adapt every single week, then the last few years everything is more or less the same which is what their used too, so I think that's why there's big changes there a bit tricky for everyone, we have to look into things for next year with all the top guys but with also the rest of the field what they thought of this and then we need to take a decision whether it's blue or not next year.

English is not my first language. But I'm just as illiterate in my mother tongue
bluesoleil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #124
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post

Have you been having a few too many tonight?
It's nothing new that the Madrid court suits Federer a lot better than most of the other clay courts around, it's because Madrid is a relatively fast court.
Once again, nothing new.
Why otherwise did Fed managed to reach RG final last year again? - yup - it was FAST.

And yes, Madrid's court has been a slippery one ever since the very start when it became a clay tournament.
Of course it suits Federer and that's fine. But this year is NOTHING like the last few years. Nadal and Djokovic were totally fine in the final last year - no issues with movement - this year they looked like idiots. I can't believe that the surface is just the same. Nearly every player has said it's way more slippery so I'll believe them - Gasquet called it an ice skating rink and Simon said it was good practice for Wimbledon - so not just Nadal etc.

As for surface homogenization I actually agree it's bad - there should be more fast courts, more grass courts etc. Everywhere playing like Miami/IW is dull and that 6 hour Aus Open final was ridiculous in so many ways. As for quoting the whole interview I would but at this stage there are only quotes on twitter so have to go on that. It's clear that Fed's not supported Novak and Rafa though by going down his usual "we all must adapt" spiel - I think that's just selfish - there's adapting to a fast surface (and seriously Madrid is not that fast anyway - the ball flies more at altitude but it's hardly Cincy) and then there's wanting bizarre conditions not conducive to much good tennis and having players slipping and sliding...

I agree with Fed on a lot of things (e.g. him not backing Nadal on the stupid 2 year ranking) but this incident is him just once more showing that he goes with the status quo and doesn't stand up to other power figures. His role is to represent players not to be some kind of mediator between players and the ATP. Novak had the guts to lay into Helfant yet Fed's still talking about "getting on with things etc." - sometimes you need to take a stand and I really am intrigued as to when that point will be for Federer...
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #125
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, look, Federer doesn't actually like the surface, as it is.

That's what happens when you take a single isolated sentence and put it completely out of context.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #126
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What a surprise. President of the player's council sticking the knife in.

https://twitter.com/#!/FootFault_/st...54305476812800

Maybe someone should remind the Fed that he's won all his slams in the era of "surface homogenization" too. He's benefited just as much so to pretend otherwise is utterly stupid. He wasn't winning slams in 98.

And the fact is every player has complained NOT about the speed but the slipperiness. Nadal himself said that if this tournament was at the end of the year and safe he'd have no problem - it's the fact that it's 2 weeks before RG and is in completely different conditions that is the issue - he said it was like having Cincy on grass. Not one player has complained about the speed. In fast indoor courts, or even fast outdoor, they can still move without fear of hurting themselves and that's the key.

Fed's just being all "we'll need to look at it again for next year" etc. Stand up for your fellow players for once man.
Does it bother you so much that Rafa is not a true all surface champion?

Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #127
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesoleil
Q: Rafa already fallen by the way side and has had some very strong things to say about the blue clay, Do you share their concerns and frustrations having completed 3 matches?

RF: Er....look yes, I've said it already from the start this is not something we actually wanted it was more of a compromise to give this tournament a sort of a test week on blue clay, we are actually against it. So it was more of a deal made between the CEO and Tiriac, look...we thought to a degree it was innovated I really hoped the court was going to be perfect and not something that is silppy like this so I understand their frustrations, bu then again I came in a time back in 99 where indoors was brutally fast clay was slow grass was fast and we had to adapt every single week, then the last few years everything is more or less the same which is what their used too, so I think that's why there's big changes there a bit tricky for everyone, we have to look into things for next year with all the top guys but with also the rest of the field what they thought of this and then we need to take a decision whether it's blue or not next year.
OP really needs to learn to read in context...

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #128
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
Say it again, Nat... sigh...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #129
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Federer wasn't benefited from surface homogenization. Not at all.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #130
country flag tribalfusion

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's nothing new that the Madrid court suits Federer a lot better than most of the other clay courts around, it's because Madrid is a relatively fast court. Once again, nothing new.
And yes, Madrid's court has been a slippery one ever since the very start when it became a clay tournament.
You're really quite blind if you can't see the difference between Madrid up to this year and now.

And even less discerning if you don't see why this makes such a big difference and not in a way which helps the sport.
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #131
country flag shadows

shadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
I'm not too sure if I'm giving him too much credit, but I'm pretty sure he's choosing to only read the bits he wants to
shadows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #132
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Federer wasn't benefited from surface homogenization. Not at all.
He was, although not directly.

In fast courts, he'd be more prone to upsets/there'd more guys with a shot of taking him out. Serving him off the court like Tsonga last year.

The thing with fast courts is that it makes the top guys more vulnerable to upsets from an on-fire big hitter on any given day.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #133
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Say it again, Nat... sigh...
At that point there was only that quote. Additionally Fed's ho-hum answer as always doesn't change the fact that as usual he hedges - it's all about "we'll see" etc. - well it's a Masters tournament that no one's been happy with throughout and could jeapordize players' chances in upcoming tournaments - why not call a spade a spade and say it wasn't good? And he's brought up the speed issue when no one has talked about speed.

Anyway, the point is that Fed has not taken the opportunity to be a leader - he's doing what's best for himself which is fine but quite funny as it's Nadal, Djokovic etc. who are always accused of the same thing. It suits Fed to be seen as a diplomat - far harder to do what Nadal and Novak have done and take a stand.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #134
country flag r3d_d3v1l_

r3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond repute

I always knew this Ash was a major Nadaltard. Their scent is unique.
r3d_d3v1l_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #135
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
You're really quite blind if you can't see the difference between Madrid up to this year and now.

And even less discerning if you don't see why this makes such a big difference and not in a way which helps the sport.
Once again, yes, this year's Madrid surface is a disgrace, and I fully agree that it should make its way to hell asap.
But it was garbage last year as well. If anyone's blind, it's those who haven't noticed that - or whose memories seems to have failed.

Why didn't I see you complaining anythiing at all at the Monaco surface, where Pico Monaco and Julien Benneteau suffered truly horrible injuries?
Or are you only concerned about a tournament surface in case one of your favs bolts out early? you tell me.

Oh I see you already did. Thanks for that badrep mate.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote