Federer on surface homogenisation - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #61
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger admitted that surface homogenization helped him and Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen View Post
Does this mean that Fedtards will start counting all of Nadal's victories over Roger instead of excluding and/or dismissing the clay ones?

and they know it helped more djokovic than it helped their god. what a pathetic bunch of losers
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #62
country flag FEDtheGOAT

FEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeFEDtheGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Strange, my thread disappeared, but now I find the content in this one. The subject is somewhat related, but not exactly the same, and the title definitely doesn't convey the same meaning as my original saying that this was a deliberate move by the ATP/tournament officials.

Is it normal to have content merged like this?

Respectfully,
masterclass
hey i liked your long post and agree with all of it...sad really...

but explained...how come Tennis has been in it's lowest popularity speaking...in the U.S...

Do they homogenized the surface thinking the common fan , the one who doesn't really follow tennis, will be more attracted by the king of game we saw at THE AO 2012..

cause my mom watch the match and doesn't know a thing about tennis...and she complain about how the two guys stayed at the baseline all the time...asking if it was normal..
FEDtheGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #63
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
He's right. It has definitely helped Djokovic and Nadal more than him though. At least he won his earlier grandslams before the homogenization became ridiculous.
Against 2nd tier players. Still, Roger is an all-time great player. Laver is right about that. Laver was the best, overall, of his era but Rosewall was better on clay. I do think Sampras would successfully have adjusted his game if he were playing today. Again, there is NO GOAT, just all-time greats. Both Roger and Rafa are all-time greats. Nole is getting close.
thrust is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #64
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poirot123 View Post
Listening to federer speak it seems as though he has made some peace with himself - he has 16 grand slams, and he is happy and content with it. He loves tennis and he will keep trying to win more, but if he can't, he won't get all depressed about it. And instead just be happy for Rafa. That's a great place to be. No regrets. Just enjoy it.
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #65
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

No, it only help Rafa, not Rogi, no...
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #66
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Against 2nd tier players. Still, Roger is an all-time great player. Laver is right about that. Laver was the best, overall, of his era but Rosewall was better on clay. I do think Sampras would successfully have adjusted his game if he were playing today. Again, there is NO GOAT, just all-time greats. Both Roger and Rafa are all-time greats. Nole is getting close.
2nd tier players by what standard? As opposed to the all time greats Tsonga and Berdych that Djokovic and Nadal had to beat in some of their slam wins? Fact is, if the courts aren't so slow, Federer would have more of a chance in today's slams. Indoor courts are faster and he is almost unbeatable there.

Watching the finals between Nadal-Djokovic is crazy, it shouldn't have to be that physically impossible and straining to win a slam.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #67
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
2nd tier players by what standard? As opposed to the all time greats Tsonga and Berdych that Djokovic and Nadal had to beat in some of their slam wins? Fact is, if the courts aren't so slow, Federer would have more of a chance in today's slams. Indoor courts are faster and he is almost unbeatable there.

Watching the finals between Nadal-Djokovic is crazy, it shouldn't have to be that physically impossible and straining to win a slam.
he wants to say that this slow surfaces helps nadal but for don`t has problems , he talk about himself too.

in really fast courts , federer shold be more dominant against djoko and rafa.
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #68
country flag Evitman

Evitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond reputeEvitman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan27 View Post
he wants to say that this slow surfaces helps nadal but for don`t has problems , he talk about himself too.

in really fast courts , federer shold be more dominant against djoko and rafa.
+1. So much true.
Evitman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #69
country flag _maxi

_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute_maxi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but it helped more Rafa. Fed would have won 16 or similar without the surface slowing. He proved to be great on all surfaces. Nadal in the other hand proved to be great on clay but not so good on fast conditions. 0 wtfs is a proof of it.
_maxi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #70
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

NID

Didn't help Roddick much.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #71
country flag sco

sco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond repute

Federer would be an all-time great - no matter what the surface, era or technology. If 3/4 of the slams were on grass, he'd excel. If it were the 90's, he'd excel. Even with the slowing and homogenization of the courts in the 00s, he's still dominant. The FO would be a given vs Nadal/Borg, maybe even with Guga, and good/fair chance against anyone else.

Rafa would be a great on clay only in the 3/4 grass slams era, great only on clay in the 90's and with the homogenization of the surfaces able to sneak out a US Open and win 2 Wimbledons. It irks me to hear him winning the FO/W combination compared to Borg winning 3 such combos when the clay was really slow and the grass was lightning quick, slick and low-bouncing - completely different accomplishments given the difference in surfaces.

The powers that be in tennis want to generate the publicity of a calendar grand slam winner - thus the homogenization of the surfaces, the same familiar faces in all the GS finals and contrived rivalries. Nole will probably be the one to break through seeing as he owns Rafa mentally - even on clay. Now what does that say about Rafa's clay court status. Borg retired "undefeated" (except for his "young" losses to Panatta) on clay. Even if he had a mental block against McEnroe on other surfaces, he was still untouchable on clay. And what does Nole's ownage of Rafa say to McEnroe (who kisses Rafa's ass because he's a matchup problem for Federer) but has problems with an over 30 year old Federer?

Off topic: had a chance to watch the 100 greatest tennis players on tv. Sickening that they have Rafa at #6 ahead of #7 Borg. Last I checked, 11 > 10 and see above explanation about their FOs/Ws and supremacy on clay. Pity that this show was filmed in '10 before Nole's complete ownage of Rafa in '11 - ranking might be a bit different then.
sco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #72
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

The surfaces are so crap today. ATP slow shitty joke fest that has resulted in a boring baseline game. If I wanted that previously I'd head over to Paris, today it is everywhere. The death of big serve bots I can live with but quality volley? Ha! No. Borg is far superior to Rafa btw, to have Rafa above him is a joke, unlike Federer McEnroe and Connors were not mental midgets. They were fighters of the highest order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #73
country flag LastRocket

LastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evitman View Post
+1. So much true.
Agree and murray wouldn't be in the top 5
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #74
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post

Novak Djokovic beating Rafael Nadal in a WIMBLEDON final was the final nail for me.
Why? Both are slow-court players.

Djokovic 2007-2008 was better in faster surfaces and would have been much better than Nadal in really fast surfaces probably but he changed his game to adapt. That's impossible to know, but I don't find Djokovic beating Nadal in grass that surprasing (I certainly didn't expect him to beat Nadal that easily in clay last year).

In 2008 (in Queens) Nadal was at his peak and Nole wasn't in his 2.0 version and it wasn't an easy match for him.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #75
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it both benefited them cause adjustments are easy. Before it's hard to see a player win on clay then do well on grass the weeks after and ussually clay courters do not play wimble due to the extreme surface change. For me it should be different as it would provide more variety to a player. I think the goat is Steffi Graf as she achieved a Grand Slam (in a year) where there were a huge difference in court speeds. I think that Aussie Open should be slow hard, French Clay, Wimbledon Grass and US Open Fast Hard, not Aussia Open, Wimbledon, US Open on faster clay and FRench SLow Clay cause the courts are like that now.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote