Federer on surface homogenisation - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger admitted that surface homogenization helped him and Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple Tree View Post
19 year old Federer beat Sampras on the old Wimbledon grass playing serve and volley when Pete was on a 30 match winning streak. It was the match of 2001, so you are either like 10 years old or just being a willful idiot. Since you've heard of Laver, I'm going with the latter.
1 match against a very old sampras who wasn't in it anymore hardly means anything foolish fool

federer has a average record on carpet whilst nadal has possibly the worst record of any tp player in history on carpet

both players were shit on the surface, unlike becker sampras and the 80s 90s era (lendl mac)

ive heard the argument that the cheat strings have such a huge sweet spots that passing shots are so easy- a serve and volleyer would have no chance on any surface

but i would love to see how edberg and nadal would fare on a carpet surface-

im a federer fan but i acknowledge (as does roger) that homoeginization is the only reason he and rafa have career slams
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite clear that the surface speeds are snail-like compared to even Fed's domination era (2004-07)

Novak Djokovic beating Rafael Nadal in a WIMBLEDON final was the final nail for me.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Courts helped Rafa, end of story, cuz if it was the 90s, he would have no business winning slams outside of Roland Garros.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
country flag Quadruple Tree

Quadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
1 match against a very old sampras who wasn't in it anymore hardly means anything foolish fool
Sampras was older, but to say he wasn't in it anymore really is foolish. He still went to the finals of the US Open that year and won the US Open the next year. Yes, he wasn't as good as he was in the mid-90's but neither was Federer at his peak. It would be 2 more years before Federer won his first Slam.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

He is just very candid. Has been since I can remember.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple Tree View Post
Sampras was older, but to say he wasn't in it anymore really is foolish. He still went to the finals of the US Open that year and won the US Open the next year. Yes, he wasn't as good as he was in the mid-90's but neither was Federer at his peak. It would be 2 more years before Federer won his first Slam.
in 2001 sampras was all over the place

in 2001 federer was improving- i dont know why federer declined in 2002 vs 2001- but by 2003 federer was back there again

it wasnt really an even standing by any standards

yes sampras was on a 31 match winning streak but he was like an old boxer holding onto a title when he was way past his best

the first slowing down of wimbledon happened in 2001, the second more fatal slowing down happened either in 2003 or just after wimbledon 2003

by 2004 it was a totally different place

if todays surfaces were all homoginized to be really fast- there is no way anyone would beat sampras

so thats why a total medium slow homog tour suits no one and dents legacies

rafa has a lousy record on carpet
federer's is average
Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean that Fedtards will start counting all of Nadal's victories over Roger instead of excluding and/or dismissing the clay ones?
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute

For Federer it's been a double-edged thing at best IMO. It will help Djokovic too.

David Nalbandian ♦ Roger Federer ♦ Mikhail Youzhny ♦ Dustin Brown ♦ Nikolay Davydenko ♦ P-H. Herbert

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
country flag born_on_clay

born_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond repute

It hurts Roger, we all now it
Good you didn't cry on court this time
64 Titles | 27 Masters 1000 |Olympic Games Singles Gold Medalist | 139 Weeks at no.1
3 year end no.1 | 4 Davis Cups | 699 singles match wins
born_on_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #25
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post

federer has a average record on carpet whilst nadal has possibly the worst record of any tp player in history on carpet

both players were shit on the surface, unlike becker sampras and the 80s 90s era (lendl mac)

ive heard the argument that the cheat strings have such a huge sweet spots that passing shots are so easy- a serve and volleyer would have no chance on any surface

but i would love to see how edberg and nadal would fare on a carpet surface-

im a federer fan but i acknowledge (as does roger) that homoeginization is the only reason he and rafa have career slams
Having only read the op's excerpt, I don't think that's what he said. He just said it [homogenization of surfaces] is why he and Nadal achieved these things so quickly. Not that it's the reason why they achieved them at all.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
country flag Poirot123

Poirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
It was his most open & honest presser yet.
Listening to federer speak it seems as though he has made some peace with himself - he has 16 grand slams, and he is happy and content with it. He loves tennis and he will keep trying to win more, but if he can't, he won't get all depressed about it. And instead just be happy for Rafa. That's a great place to be. No regrets. Just enjoy it.
Poirot123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Several posters in this thread appear to have severe reading difficulties.
Is there anything wrong with what Fed said? Nope. He's entirely right, even more, admitting that the slowing down of the courts helped him as well as it did Rafa is something I rarely see admitted by a lot of his fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poirot123 View Post
Listening to federer speak it seems as though he has made some peace with himself - he has 16 grand slams, and he is happy and content with it. He loves tennis and he will keep trying to win more, but if he can't, he won't get all depressed about it. And instead just be happy for Rafa. That's a great place to be. No regrets. Just enjoy it.
That's the spirit.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
country flag mikkemus23

mikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
It has mainly benefited Nadal I think. Federer has always had the game to play on fast courts. He abandoned serve and volley when he realised it was getting him nowhere due to the changing courts. Wimbledon has become a joke. If you serve and volley at SW19 you will get slaughtered for sure unless you have a Karlovic serve.
+1
Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #29
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Federer usually goes to pressers as soon as he can after the match to get it over with. And he babbles a lot "Look", "you know", "I mean" etc. Of course his English is fine, but don't get too attached to the words in the presser as some window into his soul. He might say a similar thing in another interview, worded slightly differently, and everyone here would be parsing it to death.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
country flag BodyServe

BodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that these guys killed carpet.
BodyServe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote