AO 2012 SF: Nadal def Federer 6-7(5) 6-2 7-6(5) 6-4 - Page 33 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: ...

.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #481
country flag nadalwon2012
Banned!

nadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AO 2012 SF: Nadal def Federer 6-7(5) 6-2 7-6(5) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Fed should have done what McEnroe suggested - just hit to and approach on the Rafa's backhand until his forehand side is wiiiiiiiide open - then hit the winner. It's almost like Fed plays instinctively - playing the "correct" next shot (against everyone else) but not Rafa. He could have hit all those approaches to Rafa's backhand. I wonder if it's as Cahill says - Fed doesn't really analyze the video of the match - just going from memory. And WTH was with those 2 first serves in his last game that he just spun in - too tired?

Maybe it is as McEnroe said - it's too boring for Federer to keep hitting to Rafa's backhand? Or that the variety in his game is so engrained in his head that he can't just have a simple, straight-forward game plan as hit to Rafa's backhand over and over and over again?

Predicted correctly in the poll - too bad I'm too chicken to bet - I always go with my heart anyways. Nole will pound Rafa's backhand on Sunday as Fed should have. Wonder what all the "experts" who question Fed's GOATness say about Rafa with regards to Nole's ownage of him. Well, at least this match was competitive. I am happy to be watching Fed play at this level at this age - don't know how long it'll be before he retires - sure beats watching Shankerer (well he did show up after the fireworks).
If Federer hit every ball to Nadal's backhand, it would not work unless every ball Federer hit was a bullet. Nadal can make backhands into forehands if the ball is not a bullet. Additionally, all Nadal has to do is hit to Federer's backhand and then the next ball Nadal receives will not be a bullet, unless Federer is willing to go for broke with a backhand. Federer can go for broke with a backhand, but not all of them, or the errors will flow.

Last edited by nadalwon2012 : 01-27-2012 at 01:38 PM.
nadalwon2012 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #482
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdqfC...eature=related

it helps, believe me
Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #483
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond repute

oh well...this sucks
Retire Rog and stop embarrassing yourself
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #484
Banned!

nadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
Given the freakish lopsidedness of that score, I would be fascinated to see what happens next time they meet at the AO. Nadal has won their last 4 outdoor hardcourt meetings. Tsonga won their meeting at the indoor WTF last year, but it went the distance and was tight. But yeah, that 2008 AO semi reminds me of the 2011 Wimbledon match where Tsonga won the last 3 sets from Federer, with devastating aggression.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #485
country flag rhinooooo

rhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond repute

Paul Annacone: Listen Rog, just hit to Rafa's backhand on 90% of the points...
Roger Federer: Nah, bro. I'm the goat.
rhinooooo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #486
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinooooo View Post
Somehow I don't think that's far off

Fed started well, was peppering Nadal's backhand with tons of success. At some point he decided to hit the vast majority of his approach shots to Nadal's forehand. Great strategy, that was.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #487
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinooooo View Post
Sounds about right. Surprised he even has a coach after 2004.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #488
Banned!

Average 1st Serve Speed:
Federer 185 KMH
Nadal 172 KMH

Break Point Conversions:
Federer 3 of 10 = 30 %
Nadal 6 of 16 = 38 %

Winners:
Federer 46
Nadal 36

Net Approaches:
Federer 35 of 57 = 61 %
Nadal 5 of 15 = 33 %
Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #489
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
It actually was in doubt. It was in doubt when Roger was toying with Rafa in the first set up 3-0. It was even more in doubt after he won the 1st set. It was further in doubt when he broke at love in the 2nd to lead 76 10. Also in doubt at *43 Roger in the 3rd.
Yeah I know it was. What I actually meant is that it ALWAYS goes like that, Roger has chances in every sets, and fails to convert most of them.

On a side note I feel somehow relieved: I spent six months thinking how would that RG 2011 final be if Fed had won that first set. Now I know.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #490
country flag Steelq

Steelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Sounds about right. Surprised he even has a coach after 2004.
He hired Annacone only cuz he got bored of journalists questioning his decision to be coachless after every loss.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #491
country flag bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond reputebandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
Federer can't push Nadal from side to side . I guess he doesn't have a penetrating backhand and a spin forehand to control the rally.
This...against all other players, Federer can get away with his weak backhand..but Nadal just totally destroys that wing.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #492
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjill888 View Post
Can I break that finger ? What was he trying to show after that semi that he is the real champion of champions ...dude, go and learn to play raf first. Shame .Shame.

It's also a shame I have converted from being a fed fan to raf fan to nol fan and nowadays I'm on an all-time low frame of mind that I have become a murray fan . Can someone have pity on me
I don't know why people are still questioning this. Mr. Federer was asked in an interview at the US Open (day 6) by the Tennis Channel's Ted Robinson what the finger meant and he said it meant that he had “one more match to go”. Unfortunately for Mr. Federer, the one more match was against the Roland Garros Clay King, Rafael Nadal. Mr. Federer has clearly been second best there.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #493
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalwon2012 View Post
If Federer hit every ball to Nadal's backhand, it would not work unless every ball Federer hit was a bullet. Nadal can make backhands into forehands if the ball is not a bullet. Additionally, all Nadal has to do is hit to Federer's backhand and then the next ball Nadal receives will not be a bullet, unless Federer is willing to go for broke with a backhand. Federer can go for broke with a backhand, but not all of them, or the errors will flow. Also, Federer would have to completely give up on hitting backhand slice, because Nadal can run around them and hit forehands.
Pretty much spot on. Except he still needs to throw in the occasional slice, either if on the extreme defensive, or a deep offensive slice, just to keep Mr. Nadal off-balance.

As I've said elsewhere, the real problem for Mr. Federer against Mr. Nadal is that when the court/balls are playing slowly (such as was the case in the semifinal at night in the cooler weather), he has to play very high risk tennis, flattening out his shots to make consistent winners without a slew of unforced errors, and no one, not even someone with his talent can keep that up succssfully for very long. Notice that when he had new balls to work with for the first 3 games or so, he was able to hit his penetrating shots with a bit more spin for winners and have easier service games. But after 4 games or so, that simply didn't work. Mr. Nadal was able to retrieve balls that would normally be winners, and make Mr. Federer hit more shots. Mr Federer then had to start flattening his shots so much that his margin of error decreased substantially, and with the higher risk, he was frequently hitting the top of the net. He tried other strategies, but these were also low percentage plays against Mr. Nadal, such as drop shots, which are risky, and serve and volley which are difficult to carry out successfully when its playing slower, especially against Mr. Nadal with his passing skills. And the more he made those errors, put even more pressure on him. I think in slow conditions, one's only chance against Mr. Nadal is to simply stay out there, be patient, rally back and forth in the middle of the court so as not to give too many angles, and not try to hit winners as much until there is a clear opening, such as a short ball. But this requires a lot of patience, and is not how Mr. Federer prefers to play the game.

Even with conditions against him, Mr. Federer did well to win a set, and kept the score close in 2 out of the other 3 sets. Once the conditions were evident, I expected worse.

I believe he would have had a much better chance against Mr. Nadal during the heat of the day when the balls were clearly sailing through the court faster. This is probably why he requested day matches, esp. with Del Potro. Unfortunately for Mr. Federer, semifinals are only played at night at the AO, so he was behind the proverbial eight ball against someone with the retrieving capabilities of Mr. Nadal. When conditions favor Mr. Federer (i.e. fast court/low bouncing balls), he can make Mr. Nadal look like a fish out of water. But with the move toward surface homogenization we don't see those conditions as much any more. And where we see them, Mr. Nadal is less likely to go deep enough to meet Mr. Federer, except at the WTF, where it is round robin.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #494
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Pretty much spot on. Except he still needs to throw in the occasional slice, either if on the extreme defensive, or a deep offensive slice, just to keep Mr. Nadal off-balance.
True that

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post

I believe he would have had a much better chance against Mr. Nadal during the heat of the day when the balls were clearly sailing through the court faster. This is probably why he requested day matches, esp. with Del Potro. Unfortunately for Mr. Federer, semifinals are only played at night at the AO, so he was behind the proverbial eight ball against someone with the retrieving capabilities of Mr. Nadal. When conditions favor Mr. Federer (i.e. fast court/low bouncing balls), he can make Mr. Nadal look like a fish out of water. But with the move toward surface homogenization we don't see those conditions as much any more. And where we see them, Mr. Nadal is less likely to go deep enough to meet Mr. Federer, except at the WTF, where it is round robin.
Ironically, Lleyton Hewitt said Federer would beat Nadal because 'at night the court plays like an indoor hardcourt'.

Of course, no matter what time of the day, the court will never play like the indoor World Tour Finals, and the bounce will never be low like that. So I didn't fear what Hewitt was saying.

Last edited by nadalwon2012 : 02-09-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #495
country flag Hian-GOAT
Banned!

Hian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal: Mister Sucksobeat.
Hian-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote