What's the problem with french tennis?? - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Why hasn't a male player won a GS for almost 30 years?

Structural problem in french tennis 3 4.84%
Lack of luck 8 12.90%
Just not good enough 18 29.03%
All mental midgets 33 53.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #76
country flag GugaF1

GugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the problem with french tennis??

The French have nothing to complain really. They have the best that a nation can hope to get with investment and appreciation for Tennis, a solid number of top 10 players and top 20, top40, top 100, etc.

Getting GS and being N.1, while highly desirable, is not a science and something that can be controlled, doesn't mean that something is not right. Now, having several top players is, and France is in that.

Last edited by GugaF1 : 01-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.
GugaF1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #77
country flag GugaF1

GugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassquet View Post
Call me crazy but I think Gasquet is way better than Murray. He only lacks a bit of fitness and especially a tennis brain. He plays the best tennis to lose. When he is really offensive throughout a match, he is a top-notch player (see his Gonzales A0 09, Roddick IW 10, Roddick W 07...) This guy is just a tactical and mental nonsense.
What is this best tennis to lose stuff? Gasquet is quite limited as a player man. While having a great shot in the game, the BH, he also has one of the weakest, the FH. The Forehand is the second most important shot in tennis, just behind the serve, having a weak Forehand like Gasquet has is no joke. In my view, He is one of the weakest of the top French players, now compared to Murray? he is not even in the same picture.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #78
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Anyway let's finish it, it's something I will never understand about you Gasquetfans,
I beg to differ. We are all not the same.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #79
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GugaF1 View Post
What is this best tennis to lose stuff? Gasquet is quite limited as a player man. While having a great shot in the game, the BH, he also has one of the weakest, the FH. The Forehand is the second most important shot in tennis, just behind the serve, having a weak Forehand like Gasquet has is no joke. In my view, He is one of the weakest of the top French players, now compared to Murray? he is not even in the same picture.
Their H2H say the contrary.
3-2 for Murray and two five sets wins for Murray when he only beats physically Gasquet.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #80
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
3-2 for Murray and two five sets wins for Murray when he only beats physically Gasquet.
Gasquet's sole wins were 5 and 6 years ago, Murray was what, 18 or 19 then? Last year Gasquet played pretty well and still lost in straights to Murray - maybe they were close when they were youngsters, but now they gap seems pretty wide.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #81
country flag GugaF1

Quote:
Really, you gonna pull the H2h on me? How does their Masters series, Slam finals, semi finals, time in the top 5 and victories over the top 5 compare? Come on man, I like Gasquet and I wish he didn't have such a major gap in his arsenal, that it makes his game flawed compared to solid top players.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #82
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri27 View Post
Hard to call "great" players who have such glaring weaknesses in their game (BH for Tsonga, rally FH for Gasquet, no weapons for Simon)
Who cares about their weaknesses. All players, even GOAT candidates have had glaring weaknesses. What separates them from the rest is their mental strength, being able to pull the right shot even with their weakest assets and being able to use their strengths as best they can. I mean Murray doesn't have a forehand similar to Gasquet and they both have excellent backhands, but who is #4 in the world? Tsonga is "successful" so he really shouldn't be in this equation. There can only be 1 winner at the slams and Tsonga is a bit unlucky to be in this field of the top 4. Simon was always going to have a tough time. Small frame, somewhat slightly shorter, etc. The way he plays, as in similar to Murray, really makes him matches rely on his opponents. Similar to Tsonga, I think he was just unlucky to be in this field. Gael Monfils is the only really questionable one, but as I have pointed out, it is all mental, especially for his case.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #83
country flag Shinoj
Banned!

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

They still value Style over substance...Style is allright in exhibitions but in matches you need pure Desire to win. And that is what is lacking big time in French Players.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #84
country flag Orangeball

Orangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
in the end of 2005 yes, in the end of 2006, I guess if the forum polls said that, it's because people just like Gasquet : it's the same as 60% of the people expecting Federer to win the Aus open before the tournament

What I remember from serious people in the end of 2006 was that Murray was the most expected one, Gasquet and Djokovic were close seconds but Djokovic was one year younger.
Hahaha those serious people would eat their words now hahahaha, Djokovic was a close second behind Murray? Was one of those people you? Be honest now
Orangeball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #85
country flag Orangeball

Orangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Gasquet's sole wins were 5 and 6 years ago, Murray was what, 18 or 19 then? Last year Gasquet played pretty well and still lost in straights to Murray - maybe they were close when they were youngsters, but now they gap seems pretty wide.
H2H record is there for a reason, so are you saying that Djokovic's H2H records against Nadal and Federer don't mean anything as most of Djokovic's losses to them were before Djokovic turned 21, I am a Djokovic's fan and wish that your analogy is valid but it's not, losses are losses and you just have to deal with that
Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #86
country flag Orangeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Nothing wrong with French tennis, so none of the above. It has lots of depth, maybe no GS winner but that doesn't define a good tennis program. In fact depth is probably a better indication of a strong program than a GS winner - ask the Swiss and Federer.

Stop obsessing about Grand Slams. A country has very little to do with developing a Grand Slam winner - those are few and far between. A GS winner has something special that comes from within not developed by a country.
Yes, I agree, it's the same with it doesn't matter how much England spend on football/soccer, it will never win the European championship, let alone the World Cup.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #87
country flag Federer-Fan

Federer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Tsonga is the only French player who can beat Federer, Djokovic and Nadal at their peak. Moreover, he's the only one who has a chance to win a Grand Slam.

Monfils, Gasquet and Simon are clearly behind Jo...
Federer-Fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #88
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

it's french.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #89
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

The French players as a group are my favorite to watch- lots of drama and shotmaking and/or hot guys

As to what is wrong with French tennis- nothing I don't think. What about Swiss tennis? What if Fed had decided to play for South Africa(where his mom is from)? Would look a lot different.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #90
country flag bbkdta

bbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond reputebbkdta has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait tonight Monfils will bring back the confidence for French tennis after he manhandled Delpo
bbkdta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote