Tomic: "top 4 in a year" - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #181
country flag ogre

ogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tomic: "top 4 in a year"

There is a definite question mark over how good a player Tomic will ever become.

However reading this thread places a bigger question mark over the ability of forum members to extract meaning from what they read.

Thread title says 'top 4 in a year' and quotes an article that has a title: 'Tomic eyes top 4 in a year'. But did Tomic actually say he would be ranked in the top 4 in a year...? NO!!! He did NOT!!!

Tomic: "But I think until then I can play great tennis this year and... take my ranking to a good spot this year."

This year (the comment was made in January) he hope to take his ranking to 'a good spot'.

Then you read the comment answer "The next, you know, year, year-and-a-half, if I improve my body and get stronger." - but the article does not state what question he is answering.

Given that the article also quotes just how in awe of Federer Tomic is.....did not ANYONE get suspicious that he was not actually answering the question 'when can you be ranked in the top 4?'. It looked far more like an answer to 'when will you be able to challenge one of the top 4 in a match?'. In other words, not be ranked in the top 4, but have any chance at all of winning a match against any of them.

So....I did an amazing thing....I though I would try to check!
Search 'tomic if i improve'. And found the orginal interview in an article.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/xz...-1226250757980

And he basically says in 12 to 18 months he feels he will be in a position to score a victory against the top 4. Right now he feels he is a chance against anyone else. He does not say he will always beat everyone else, just as he does not say in 12 to 18 months he will regularly beat the top - just by then he could have a chance.

He did also say he thought it was possible he could one day be 'in that group'- but he never gave a time frame for that.

On Federer he said- "I don't think there will ever be as good of a player as him," Tomic said.

I am continually amazed how often quotes are attributed to people in order to insult that person....when it is clear the 'quote' is never what they said at all.
ogre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #182
country flag rutinos harcos

rutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
Keep telling yourself that, you know he's going to beat them in the future. I'm afraid you and all the haters will just have to live with that
You'll have to wait for a long time for that annoying/ugly brat to come even close to the level of the big four.
rutinos harcos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #183
country flag Asadinator

Asadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond repute

@ ogre, people on MTF don't want to hear the truth.

@ rutinos harcos, he'll never be at that level, but he will beat them from time to time.
Asadinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #184
country flag Thunderfish8

Thunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATPworldtour.com
Dodig saves 2 match points in memphis to edge Tomic...
Last I checked, top four players don't let this kind of shit happen. I have this funny feeling that somebody is going to bring up Cincinatti Dodig def. Nadal 16 76 76, however, that was during Nadal's loss of confidence last season.
This is Tomic with just about as much confidence as possible for a 19 year old who hasn't won a single title yet.

Berdych Monaco Granollers Troicki Roger-Vasselin Lu Paire

PAW Titles: Brisbane 2012 & 2014
FITD Titles: Marseille 2014
Tennis Tipping Titles
Singles: Orleans CH '11, Tampere CH '12, Medellin CH '12
Doubles: Noumea CH '13 w/ Chirag, Cherbourg CH '14 w/ BMT360
Thunderfish8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #185
country flag cmoss

cmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond repute

With his height,Tomic ought to have had a very deadly serve,like Raonic.But he's thin,and has a bad serve.

If he's stronger and can serve like Raonic,top 5?Yes.
cmoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #186
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

tomic is not that arrogant. he is a really nice guy off the court
too many tomic haters in here

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote