1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson, etc. - Page 74 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #1096
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

Your 2013 Kalamazoo Champion, Collin Altamirano. Congrats to Collin, he was the steadier of the two. Thought the match was entertaining, a lot of good points from both players (better than the 16s final). I think it is better for Collin to get the USO mdwc. He seemed better physically, psychologically, and more experienced on big points at this time. I liked what I saw from Jared as well, but he really needs to work on his serve, conditioning, and mental game. Good luck to both guys at the USO

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates

Last edited by SapELee : 08-11-2013 at 08:56 PM.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #1097
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB View Post
Macdonald beats Johnson. Just days after losing to Brymer and Kozlov, he beats two top-100 players. And the guy who knocked him out at Kalamazoo lost 0 and 1 in the SF. Go figure.
Congrats to Mackie, first ATP maindraw

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #1098
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Since Collin has the USO mdwc, will be interesting to see if he decides to cash in and go pro.

Quote:
Melissa & Lloyd ‏@YourGameFace 5m

Congrats Collin Altamirano b18 champion #natszoo pic.twitter.com/PKjQcGMGDq

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #1099
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Was surprised to hear that Jared is sponsored by Head. Didn't think that he needs any sponsorship since he is filthy rich.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #1100
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

A bit better quality, had to make some adjustments/reconfigurations Doing the best I can.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #1101
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Beyond The Baseline ‏@SI_BTBaseline 3h

Funny. Mackenzie McDonald, who'll play at UCLA, says he made it a point to wear his UCLA colors on court vs. former USC-standout Johnson.
this is just too funny.

U.S. 18-year-old Mackenzie McDonald makes an impression

Quote:
MASON, Ohio — Last week: another junior tournament defeat. This week: a main draw appearance at one of the biggest men's tournaments on the calendar.

That pretty much sums up Mackenzie McDonald's life the past few days after the unranked 18-year-old wild card from Piedmont, Calif., shocked two top-100 players to qualify for the Cincinnati Masters.

On Sunday college-bound McDonald beat 100th-ranked American Steve Johnson 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. He beat No. 77 Nicolas Mahut of France in three sets Saturday.

"I'm just enjoying this," said McDonald, who had never won an ATP Tour-level match before or earned an ATP ranking point. "I'm 18 years old. I'm playing a Masters-1000 main draw that I qualified for, so it's pretty unique."

McDonald, who plans to enter UCLA next month, reached the Australian Open boys' semifinals in 2012 but has done little in the last few months, even on the junior level, to suggest such a breakthrough.

Four days ago, he lost in the round-of-16 of the boys' 18 national championships at Kalamazoo, Mich. He said he had geared his season toward winning the prestigious event, where the champion is traditionally awarded a main draw wild card into the U.S. Open.

"I definitely felt more pressure out there, because a U.S. Open wild card is at stake, and I really thought I had a great chance to win it," said McDonald, who was seeded No. 9. "I did get tight at times there."

As he departed the tournament, Jay Berger of the USTA men's player development program offered him a qualifying wild card in Cincinnati. He actually contemplated leaving it on the table to play a college event in Indiana but decided to take his chance.

McDonald, a rangy player with solid groundstrokes and a fluid, potent serve struggled to explain his success except to say he was serving better than ever and liked the added pace from the bigger hitters on the pro tour.

He was also more relaxed. Deep in the third set against Johnson, the 2011-12 NCAA singles champion from USC, McDonald repeatedly glanced over at his box in the 5,000-seat Grandstand court and broke into a deep smile.

"I'm having a blast out here, for sure," he said. I mean for me, there's a lot less pressure, maybe, than some of the other guys. I don't have much to lose."

McDonald, who finished his last two years of high school via online courses, has been working with former top-10 player Wayne Ferreira of South Africa in the San Francisco Bay Area since he was 11.

He called the decision to delay turning pro and attend college a tough one, but with extensive ties to UCLA — his father and grandfather are alumni and his sister is currently a sophomore — he felt it was a good one.

"There is a lot to gain from UCLA," said the 5-10 McDonald, who described himself as weighing 142 pounds "on a good day."

"I can get stronger. I can learn a lot."

Before taking the court, McDonald said he called the UCLA coach, Billy Martin, for advice, and made sure to wear his Bruins cap.

Unless he wins the tournament — a suggestion that made McDonald's eyes go wide — he will stick with his plan become a Bruin this fall.

But having already beaten a double college champion in Johnson — from rival USC no less — his college prospects appear extremely promising.

This weekend showed McDonald could be making noise in the pros soon, too.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #1102
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Your 2013 Kalamazoo Champion, Collin Altamirano. Congrats to Collin, he was the steadier of the two. Thought the match was entertaining, a lot of good points from both players (better than the 16s final). I think it is better for Collin to get the USO mdwc. He seemed better physically, psychologically, and more experienced on big points at this time. I liked what I saw from Jared as well, but he really needs to work on his serve, conditioning, and mental game. Good luck to both guys at the USO
He was by far the best player this week. So consistent and he moves very well.
This is so out of the blue that I have no idea what to think about his potential.
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #1103
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...istory-in.html

Quote:
When Collin Altamirano returns to Kalamazoo next year to defend the USTA Boys 18s National Championship he won Sunday afternoon at Stowe Stadium, he won't be an underdog, and he won't be rooting for one either.

After defeating No. 14 seed Jared Donaldson 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 in a best-of-five match that secured him an US Open main draw wild card, Altamirano is in the record books as the only unseeded player ever to win a singles title in the 71-year history of the Kalamazoo National Championships.

"There's a first time for everything, right?" said the 17-year-old right-hander, who lives and trains at the Arden Hill Tennis Club in Sacramento, California. "I've got to root for all the seeds now."

Altamirano secured his place in Kalamazoo history on a partly cloudy and cool afternoon, displaying impressive power, touch and defense against the 16-year-old Donaldson, who struggled on nearly all of his service games.

"He was very aggressive on the return, so I knew he could break me, but I knew I could break him," said Altamirano, who felt his own serve was also a bit erratic. "I wasn't too worried about it. I knew he wasn't holding, so it made me feel like I was going to be ahead in every set."

Altamirano actually lost his first service game in both the first and second sets, saying he was nervous to start the match, but he never trailed by more than one game. After taking six consecutive games to claim the first set, Altamirano broke Donaldson to go up 1-0, but gave it right back. After Donaldson finally saved a break point to hold for the first time in the match, taking a 2-1 lead, but Altamirano continued to play more controlled and error-free tennis on the important points.

Having surrendered only one game to top seed Gage Brymer in Saturday's semifinal, Altamirano was not as pleased with his performance against wild card Donaldson, and several "Gosh darn its" surfaced when he double faulted or committed an unforced error. But he managed to come up with big shots when the occasion called for it, such as the ace he hit on set point in the second set.

Donaldson began to look discouraged at 2-2 in the third set, with two double faults--one to start the game and one to end it--contributing.

"My serve has always been a little streaky," said Donaldson, who had quit tennis for three months back in February, but returned to the game after consulting with a sports psychologist. "It's come and gone throughout this entire tournament, usually actually it's been pretty good. I didn't serve well, I didn't return well. I didn't make that extra ball, win those few key points that I had done earlier in the week. He played really well."

Donaldson expressed disappointment at the result, despite his recent success at Futures and this week against the nation's best juniors.

"You come to tournaments to win," said the Cumberland, Rhode Island resident, who has trained in Argentina the past three years. "You don't come to tournaments to say you had a good tournament or you had good wins. Second place obviously isn't something to be ashamed of, but it's definitely something you don't come here for. Now, if someone had told me, back in February, when I thought I was done with tennis, that if you could take second in Kalamazoo, would you, of course I would say yes, but now that you're here, you always want more."

Donaldson will receive a wild card into men's qualifying at the US Open later this month, and he already had heard that Mackenzie McDonald, who lost in the round of 16 to Brymer, qualified Sunday into the ATP Masters event in Cincinnati, defeating Nicolas Mahut and Steve Johnson to do so.

"Mackie is obviously a really great player and he had a tough one in the round of 16 here," said Donaldson. "Tennis is a funny game. Mackie can lose round of 16 here, and the player he lost to lost 0 and 1 to the guy who won the tournament, then Mackie goes and beats No. 77 in the world and Steve Johnson."

Altamirano admitted that choking crossed his mind when he stepped to the line to serve out the match at 5-4 in the third, but then made every first serve, converting his first match point on a service winner. The 17-year-old, who played junior tennis in Northern California, just as McDonald did, is confident his game can measure up at the US Open in two weeks.

"I know my level's up there," said Altamirano, who is coached by Joseph Gilbert. "I've just got to believe it, and do it day in and day out. I know this tournament's tough, and to win it is huge."
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #1104
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"My serve has always been a little streaky," said Donaldson, who had quit tennis for three months back in February, but returned to the game after consulting with a sports psychologist. "It's come and gone throughout this entire tournament, usually actually it's been pretty good. I didn't serve well, I didn't return well. I didn't make that extra ball, win those few key points that I had done earlier in the week. He played really well."
Whoa! I did not know that. Is he mentally not cut out for the sport? He really seemed to focus on the negatives of his result and none of the positives. I hope he improves that mentality a bit.
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #1105
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
He was by far the best player this week. So consistent and he moves very well.
This is so out of the blue that I have no idea what to think about his potential.
We need more "out of the blue" players.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #1106
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWahoo14 View Post
Whoa! I did not know that. Is he mentally not cut out for the sport? He really seemed to focus on the negatives of his result and none of the positives. I hope he improves that mentality a bit.
Too bad he doesn't have Simon's mentality, the pro player that the commentator compared his body type to Jared, please eat more and bulk up.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #1107
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

How to Develop New American Tennis Stars: http://www.tennisconsult.com/develop...-tennis-stars/

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #1108
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

McDonald lost to Goffin 1-6 1-6 First round

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #1109
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond reputeshoparound has a reputation beyond repute

Same guy?

shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #1110
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoparound View Post
Same guy?

I'm not pretty sure. But We have another McDonald??

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote