1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson, etc. - Page 50 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #736
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbazumba View Post
What happened to Halebian?
struggling

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #737
country flag zumbazumba

zumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
struggling
Struggle at that stage is normal. Btween the ages of 17-21 these young men should grind it out on the lower levels and hopefully break the top 200 by the time they are 21. We ll just have to wait and see.

Who in your opinion is not struggling from this generation of the kids?

Last edited by zumbazumba : 01-27-2013 at 08:30 PM.
zumbazumba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #738
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Struggle at that stage is normal. Btween the ages of 17-21 these young men should grind it out on the lower levels and hopefully break the top 200 by the time they are 21. We ll just have to wait and see.

Who in your opinion is not struggling from this generation of the kids?
There are many 1994 guys that are doing well: Saville, Pouille, Harrison , Pavlasek, Monteiro, Peliwo, Coppejans etc. Even Krueger is already in the top 800. Halebian has yet to crack the top 1000 mark and can't even get out of qualifying. Hopefully, he will find a way to get through it.

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #739
country flag zumbazumba

zumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond reputezumbazumba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are many 1994 guys that are doing well: Saville, Pouille, Harrison , Pavlasek, Monteiro, Peliwo, Coppejans etc. Even Krueger is already in the top 800. Halebian has yet to crack the top 1000 mark and can't even get out of qualifying. Hopefully, he will find a way to get through it.
I am sorry, I should have clarified. I meant American kids. I am well aware of the success of the non-american kids. Kruger got majority of his points from the WC into the qualies of the US open. I am not so sure he would have been in the top 1000 without those points.

It all comes down to where they are by the time they are 21. Temporary advantages (being ranked ahead of someone for a short while) are exactly what they are- temporary advantages. I think we need to revisit this in 3 years and see who is where when the smoke clears.

This time last year, Thai was nowhere where Papa and Rubin were. Yet a year later he leads Americans in the ITF race. So in tennis, the only thing that is a constant is change.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #740
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Kruger got majority of his points from the WC into the qualies of the US open. I am not so sure he would have been in the top 1000 without those points.
Even without his qualifying points there, his futures semifinal run last fall along with his other points would be enough to put him inside the top 1000. Krueger regularly qualifies for futures since turning pro; can't say the same for Halebian.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #741
country flag zumbazumba

Quote:
Even without his qualifying points there, his futures semifinal run last fall along with his other points would be enough to put him inside the top 1000. Krueger regularly qualifies for futures since turning pro; can't say the same for Halebian.
you are absolutely right. We can t say that about Halebian. YET
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #742
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
This time last year, Thai was nowhere where Papa and Rubin were. Yet a year later he leads Americans in the ITF race. So in tennis, the only thing that is a constant is change.
To be fair, Noah couldn't defend his points this month b/c of a broken wrist. As bad as Spencer is, he still leads them in singles points (not by much though).

In your opinion, who do you think will have a better career between Harrison, Krueger, and Halebian?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #743
country flag zumbazumba

Quote:
To be fair, Noah couldn't defend his points this month b/c of a broken wrist. As bad as Spencer is, he still leads them in singles points (not by much though).

In your opinion, who do you think will have a better career between Harrison, Krueger, and Halebian?
NOah could not defend his points and chances are that spencer will not defend his from last year (and he has to defend close to 350 of them) but still Thai had a better last 6 months and therefore he is where he is. I don t think Spencer is bad or Noah is bad, They are both great players. My point was that everyone goes through patches during a 12 month period. So last 6-9 months were better for Thai than for Spencer. However last year this time, Spencer was deemed a better player and Thai was not even in a conversation. If Spencer loses his 350 points or even 200 of them in the next two months, he will fall out of the top 100 and may not even make the slams. So, of course the naysayers will start talking crap about the kid, he is struggling, can t even stay in the top 100 and etc.

I look more at the level of play than other things. I think that all the kids mentioned above are at the same tennis level, however, Rubin is a better competitor than both Thai and Spencer, therefore he will have steady results until he hits futures and challengers.

As for the other group of kids, I think Harrison so far has proven to be ahead of the others ranking wise. And i think that Harrison will do better than Kruger and probably better than Halebian for the next two years or so. But by the time they are all 21 and have played futures and challengers for 3-4 years, I do not see either one of them really separating from the others. They will all probably be somewhere around 250-300. Of course give or take 30-50 spots (especially if usta will still support kruger and give him a bit of the preferential treatment)
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #744
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

USA F4

Florian REYNET (FRA) [1] Vs. Vitali RESHETNIKOV (RUS)
Alexios HALEBIAN (USA) (WC) Vs. Dennis NEVOLO (USA)
Jason JUNG (USA) Vs. Henrik WIERSHOLM (USA) (Q)
Jake DEVINE (USA) (WC) Vs. Gregory OUELLETTE (USA) [5]

Marek MICHALICKA (CZE) [4] Vs. Yannick THIVANT (FRA)
Bjorn FRATANGELO (USA) Vs. Jean-Yves AUBONE (USA) (Q)
Terrell CELESTINE (USA) (WC) Vs. Romain ARNEODO (FRA)
Caio ZAMPIERI (BRA) Vs. Thiago MONTEIRO (BRA) [7]

Michael QUINTERO (COL) [6] Vs. Patrick DACIEK (USA) (WC)
Vahid MIRZADEH (USA) Vs. Spencer PAPA (USA) (Q)
Enrico BURZI (ITA) Vs. Julio PERALTA (CHI) (Q)
Pedro SAKAMOTO (BRA) (Q) Vs. Alberto BRIZZI (ITA) [3]

Thales TURINI (BRA) [8] Vs. Juan LIZARITURRY (ESP)
Daniel NGUYEN (USA) Vs. Alexander RITSCHARD (SUI) (Q)
Stefan KOZLOV (USA) (Q) Vs. Kevin KING (USA) (Q)
Felipe ESCOBAR (COL) Vs. Arthur DE GREEF (BEL) [2]

Good luck to everybody!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #745
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

I look more at the level of play than other things. I think that all the kids mentioned above are at the same tennis level, however, Rubin is a better competitor than both Thai and Spencer, therefore he will have steady results until he hits futures and challengers.
And mentally tougher too, even Kozlov is a better competitor than those two + Corinteli It seems like the players with physical disadvantage tend to have a better fighting spirit than their counterparts.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #746
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Escobedo and Pura qualified for Mexico F2: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/463/mds.pdf

Good luck guys!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #747
country flag zumbazumba

Quote:
And mentally tougher too, even Kozlov is a better competitor than those two + Corinteli It seems like the players with physical disadvantage tend to have a better fighting spirit than their counterparts.
It s quite simple really. I don t think that Kozlov and Rubin have physical disadvantages, they are just smaller guys. The fighting spirit will last for a long time but if the other boys will learn to compete better and become mentally stronger, then it will come down to physical abilities and advantages. Therefore, I keep saying that Noah will have steadier results until he hits challengers and ATP but once he is there, being mentally tougher will not yield the same results as in junior tennis. Guys on the challenger circuit will compete and stay mentally tough and everything resets back to zero. So in the long run, I will still take a kid like Papa or Thai or Corinteli and predict a better career for those than Rubin. Of course, this being that everything else is equal but we all know that it is rarely always equal.

If I were a betting man and was asked to put my money on one of those kids, I can tell you that Rubin will not be my choice.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #748
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
It s quite simple really. I don t think that Kozlov and Rubin have physical disadvantages, they are just smaller guys. The fighting spirit will last for a long time but if the other boys will learn to compete better and become mentally stronger, then it will come down to physical abilities and advantages. Therefore, I keep saying that Noah will have steadier results until he hits challengers and ATP but once he is there, being mentally tougher will not yield the same results as in junior tennis. Guys on the challenger circuit will compete and stay mentally tough and everything resets back to zero. So in the long run, I will still take a kid like Papa or Thai or Corinteli and predict a better career for those than Rubin. Of course, this being that everything else is equal but we all know that it is rarely always equal.

If I were a betting man and was asked to put my money on one of those kids, I can tell you that Rubin will not be my choice.
That's what I meant by physical disadvantage, their size. Sorry that I didn't make it clear. Most of us here are aware of their size; it has been touched upon many times in the past. And I agree that it will be tough for those with physical limitations to have a good career unless they are really skilled.

I love Thai, but I'm not completely sold on him. Yes, he has a good size and good serve. He mixes his game up well with the occasional serve and volley and net play, but his ball-striking is pretty average IMO. A lot of time, he struggled against good ball-strikers with size. I haven't seen too much of Spencer, but he seemed to strike the ball better than Thai. I have no comments on Luca since I have never seen him play. But he lost twice to Kozlov, can't help but wonder if he is a brainless ballbasher They all have long way to go, so it should be fun to see how they fare in few years. Will be interesting to see if Spencer will join them in college.

As for Noah, I'm not sure how I feel about him. Even though he is a small guy, I think he is a very talented baseliner, moreso than Thai. He is crafty and can produce nice rackethead speed.

All in all, I still favor Spencer over them even if he is hopeless at the moment JD is my 2nd favorite even though I have never seen him play. I loved his junior orange bowl videos

Last edited by SapELee : 01-30-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #749
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

USA F4

Halebian def. Nevolo 63 64

Much needed win, too bad he got Reynet next. Devine and Celestine lost today.

Mexico F2

Escobedo won his first round match over Astorga 3&4, will play Evan Song next. Pura lost.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #750
country flag zumbazumba

Quote:
That's what I meant by physical disadvantage, their size. Sorry that I didn't make it clear. Most of us here are aware of their size; it has been touched upon many times in the past. And I agree that it will be tough for those with physical limitations to have a good career unless they are really skilled.

I love Thai, but I'm not completely sold on him. Yes, he has a good size and good serve. He mixes his game up well with the occasional serve and volley and net play, but his ball-striking is pretty average IMO. A lot of time, he struggled against good ball-strikers with size. I haven't seen too much of Spencer, but he seemed to strike the ball better than Thai. I have no comments on Luca since I have never seen him play. But he lost twice to Kozlov, can't help but wonder if he is a brainless ballbasher They all have long way to go, so it should be fun to see how they fare in few years. Will be interesting to see if Spencer will join them in college.

As for Noah, I'm not sure how I feel about him. Even though he is a small guy, I think he is a very talented baseliner, moreso than Thai. He is crafty and can produce nice rackethead speed.

All in all, I still favor Spencer over them even if he is hopeless at the moment JD is my 2nd favorite even though I have never seen him play. I loved his junior orange bowl videos
I have seen all the kids mentioned here many times, so I don t have to rely just on looking up the results.

Thai has a pretty big forehand, lately has been serving very well and in general is a well rounded player. He does have to become less of a headcase than he is now but even in that department he has made some progress in the last 6 months. I remember reading an article around last year s Orange Bowl and by his own admittance, Thai talked about the mental aspect of his game.

I know you like Papa but being a brainless ballbasher is more a description of his game. Papa certainly needs to learn to actually play tennis (something that Rubin is very good at). One-dimensional player with a very low tennis IQ, however, an unreal athlete and very strong. Needs a lot of work on the backhand side as well as serve, both first and second. I won t even comment on volleys, they are pathetic. Still, a lot of upside there, since once he does learn how to construct points, develops a little tennis IQ and manages his temper on the court, he will be a player.

Corinteli is the farthest thing from a ball basher, all around player with a very good net game (good at dubs, soft hands for a big guy), has a big first serve and a pretty nasty second serve kick but certainly needs to learn how to manage all the goods. Double faults often, goes for too much on the second.I have seen him play very good, at times brilliant tennis and at times, horrible, pathetic, including bad shot selection and decision making. Needs work on the forehand side. Overall, also has a lot of upside because of the size and strength.

Rubin does everything well, just about as well as he will ever. So pretty much he is playing at capacity. Not a natural volleyer, therefore a poor dubs player. I don t see him having much of an upside, since he is already playing at almost 100 percent of his ability.