1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson, etc. - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #61
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

Zootennis:
Quote:

Spencer Papa, who reached the semifinals of the Grade 1 Asuncion Bowl in Paraguay last week, collected his first Grade 1 singles title yesterday, winning the Banana Bowl in Brazil as an unseeded wild card. Papa, who trains at the USTA's Boca Raton National Center, beat No. 15 seed Daniel Santos, No. 3 seed and Asuncion Bowl champion Gianluigi Quinzi, and No. 10 seed Juan Ignacio Galarza on the red clay before taking out qualifier Quentin Halys in the semifinals. In the final, Papa beat unseeded Pietro Licciardi of Italy 6-2, 6-3, completing his run to the title without dropping a set.
Spencer plays Jared Donaldson in the first round of Grade A Copa Gerdau. This sucks b/c I think these two have the best chance of going deep out of this group . May the best boy win.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #62
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

The guys with Stefan Kozlov (1998) at Copa Gerdau GA in Brazil.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #63
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Aledo's Krueger learning from tennis' greats

Quote:
To catch up with Mitchell Krueger of Aledo, you better have plenty of frequent flier miles.

The 18-year-old Texas A&M signee spent last week rubbing shoulders with legends in Zurich, Switzerland, and today he's off to California to defend a couple of titles.

Krueger teamed with two-time Grand Slam champion Marat Safin of Russia in the Zurich Open, which combines former stars of the ATP Tour with top-level juniors.

Krueger and Safin, who retired last year, just missed reaching the doubles final, losing to Henri Leconte of France and Julien Cagnina of Belgium.

"[Safin] was definitely a little rusty," Krueger said. "I don't know how much he's been playing since he retired, but he's still really good. We really had a lot of fun."

In singles, Krueger reached the finals in the Talent Division before losing to Kyle Edmund of Great Britain in a match that was decided in a third-set tiebreaker.

"It was definitely a different kind of tournament, but it was a lot of fun," said Krueger, who was initially picked to play with Jimmy Connors.

A hip injury forced Connors to pull out at the last minute. He had hip surgery this week and returned home from the hospital Friday.

Krueger returned to the North Texas this week in time to help out a friend. He was in Dallas on Friday to hit with Sam Querrey on the clays courts at Dallas Country Club. Querrey is preparing for the upcoming U.S. Clay Court Championships in Houston.

Today Krueger heads for California to compete in the ITF event in Carson before competing in the Easter Bowl. He and Shane Vinsant of Keller are the defending doubles champions at both events.

"I've been flying a lot lately," said Krueger, who moves to A&M in August.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03...#storylink=cpy
Great experience for him.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #64
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Logan Smith

Quote:

Two unseeded 15-year-olds took the singles titles Saturday at the ITF Grade 4 tournament in Claremont, Calif. Mayo Hibi, who turns 16 on Tuesday, beat No. 2 seed Julia Elbaba 6-4, 6-2 to win her first ITF junior title. Logan Smith, playing in his first ITF 18-and-under event, won the boys title, beating Deiton Baughman 3-6, 6-1, 7-5. - Zootennis
Congrats on the title and good luck in the 16s International Spring Championship. Needs to play more ITFs .

Last edited by SapELee : 04-01-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #65
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
USTA ISC‏@USTA_ISC

No. 3 B18s seed Noah Rubin of Long Island tells Ken Thomas of Radio Tennis he hits with John McEnroe twice a week when both are in town.
Rubin, along with most of the top American juniors, is currently competing in the USTA ISC.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #66
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
For Rubin, the 16-year-old who is now seeded third in the 18s after winning the younger division last year, the circumstances of his return are a bit different from Crawford's.

"It's a different division, so it's a whole new ballgame, but I'm having fun just being out here," said the New Yorker, who hits with John McEnroe at his Academy when both are in town. "I'm still young, compared to some of the other kids. I love California and I love hard courts especially, and the memories from last year pump me up a little bit when I need it."

Rubin didn't need much of that in his 6-1, 6-1 win over wild card Justin Butsch.

"I was a little bit more consistent than normal, and that worked out in my favor," said Rubin. "I feel that I'm in a condition now where I can run for an extended period of time, and I didn't know about his physical condition, so I wanted to test him for a little bit and see how long he would stay in the points. He kind of bailed out a little early and I got lucky at times, but it was a good match. He played well too."

Top seed Mitchell Krueger took the court for his first round match with Charles Boyce at 8 a.m. and despite the early start time looked very sharp, winning the first eight games. Boyce won the next three games however, putting the match on serve in the second set, but Krueger put together another winning streak to close it out 6-0, 6-3.

Thirteen of the 16 boys seeds made it through to the second round, with No. 8 Ricky Medinilla of Mexico, who was beaten by wild card Ronnie Schneider on Monday, the highest seed eliminated. No. 15 seed Thomas Colautti of Great Britain lost to qualifier Henry Craig of the US 6-3, 6-2 on Tuesday, and No. 16 seed Santiago Munoz Quiroga of Mexico fell to Harrison Richmond of the US 6-2, 6-2 on Monday.

Zootennis
18's Draw
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #67
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default USTA ISC, Carson, USA (G1)

Code:
Quarterfinal

Mitchell KRUEGER (USA) [1]        7-6(5) 6-2      Alexios HALEBIAN (USA) [5]       
Noah RUBIN (USA) [3]              5-7 6-0 6-4     Ronnie SCHNEIDER (USA) (WC)           
Stefan KOZLOV (USA) [12]          6-4 3-6 6-4     Mackenzie MCDONALD (USA) [4]              
Luca CORINTELI (USA) [14]         6-3 7-6(4)      Ernesto ESCOBEDO (USA) (Q)
Great week for many of our juniors.

Nice to see Noah back playing again, only 8 ITFs ; It's a good thing he is efficient with them.

Great showing for Schneider and Escobedo, who rarely play ITFs

Good to see Corinteli having good result after a disappointing South American claycourt swing.

And get well soon, Spencer Papa
Old 04-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #68
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Rubin's comeback earns him another shot at top seed Krueger in ISC semis

Quote:
Trailing 4-1 in the third set of his International Spring Championships quarterfinal match with wild card Ronnie Schneider, No. 3 seed Noah Rubin hadn't yet let go of his hope for a semifinal berth against top seed Mitchell Krueger.

"I remembered the last time I played [Schneider] at Clays," said Rubin, who won the final five games to take a 5-7, 6-0, 6-4 victory Friday afternoon. "I lost the first set, like I did here, and then came back and won 2 and 1, I believe, so I knew I had an opportunity in this match, knew I had the potential."

For the second match in a row, Schneider lost a second set 6-0, but despite dropping serve to start the third set, he was able to recover to break Rubin the next two times, building his 4-1 lead. Schneider, who won the USTA Spring National Championships three weeks ago, had three game points for a 5-2 lead, but Rubin got back on serve, converting his only break point when Schneider netted a forehand.

Rubin, the 2011 International Spring Championships 16s winner, held at love, then again capitalized on his only break point to put himself in position to serve for the match. At 30-30, Rubin hit a forehand winner the ultra-quick Schneider could only lunge at, and on his first match point, Rubin put away an overhead for the victory.

The 16-year-old New Yorker now gets a second shot at top seed Mitchell Krueger, who beat him 6-4, 6-1 in the final of the ITF B1 Pan American Closed last fall in Tulsa.

"I was at the Futures with him in Texas, and he's playing very well as always," Rubin said.

Asked whether he learned anything in Tulsa that he could employ in Saturday's match, Rubin said, "We'll find out tomorrow."

The 18-year-old Krueger, who has been hitting with pros from Indian Wells to Zurich to his home in Dallas in the past month, reached the semifinals with a 7-6(5), 6-2 win over his doubles partner Alexios Halebian, the No. 5 seed.

Krueger was twice up a break in the first set--at 2-1 and 4-3-- but both times immediately gave the break right back. He also had a 4-2 lead in the tiebreaker before Halebian came back to make it 4-4. Krueger was steadier in the later stages however, with Halebian hitting a backhand way long to make it 5-4 Krueger, who forced an error with a deep backhand to give himself two set points. Halebian saved the first with a forehand pass that Krueger argued was wide, but he double faulted on the second to give Krueger the 70-minute first set.

"It was a good set, he was hitting some good shots," said Krueger, who was a regular hitting partner with Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic during the BNP Paribas Open last month. "It was a pretty close tiebreaker, and other than that double fault, it was a pretty good tiebreaker."

Krueger was immediately broken to open the second set, with his unforced errors the primary cause, but he got the break back immediately and got his opportunity with Halebian serving at 2-3. After a long rally on break point, Halebian missed, and the left-hander from California, pounded his racquet into the court, drawing a point penalty (he had received a warning for ball abuse at the end of the first set). That point came in handy in the next game, as Krueger needed four game points before he could finally convert, but he held his lead, then broke Halebian again to end the match.

With his recent stint at the Zurich Open with the ATP Champions tour, Krueger is not accustomed to being the oldest player on the court, but that is his position in this tournament, his first junior tournament of the year.

"I'm not used to it," said Krueger. "It feels weird."

The other boys semifinal will feature 14-year-old Stefan Kozlov, the No. 12 seed, who beat No. 4 seed Mackenzie McDonald 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, and 16-year-old Luca Corinteli, the 14th seed, who defeated qualifier Ernesto Escobedo 6-3, 7-6(3).
Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #69
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Krueger will be playing for Texas A&M next year.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #70
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
Krueger will be playing for Texas A&M next year.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Good luck to him and nothing is wrong with going to college.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #71
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I think Schneider is also planning on playing college tennis, can't remember but I'm thinking Carolina.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #72
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Congrats to Krueger on making the final, will play Kozlov for the title

Rubin
Old 04-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #73
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Zootennis:

Quote:
Top seed Krueger, who turned 18 back in January, kept his emotional balance throughout his two-and-a-half-hour 7-6(4), 3-6, 6-2 semifinal victory over No. 3 seed Noah Rubin, even though he felt fortunate to win the opening set.

"He started off the match way more aggressive than I was," said Krueger who was broken in the opening game of the match. "He was pushing me all around. I was lucky to get back in the first set. But I just hung in there, tried to compete on every point. I felt I played well when I needed to on the big points."

Krueger got the break back in the seventh game, and in the tiebreaker, used his serve to his advantage, with two consecutive service winners. Leading 5-4, Krueger raised his level, hitting a forehand winner to give himself two set points. After a long rally and a good approach by Rubin, Krueger hit a perfect top spin lob that even the extremely quick Rubin could only wave as he raced back to the fence.

The 16-year-old Rubin showed no signs of frustration and kept going for the lines and hitting them with great regularity. With Krueger serving at 2-3 in the second set, Rubin pounded winner after winner for the break, which was all he needed to close out the set.

"He broke me by hitting four winners," said Krueger, who has committed to Texas A&M. "Maybe I could have given him balls he didn't like, but there wasn't a whole lot I could do. That was pretty much the set right there."

The first break in the final set went to Krueger, but, as he has been doing regularly this week, he gave it right back. He broke Rubin again, the third break in a row, and was able to hold, but even with a 5-2 lead he didn't relax.

"I knew it was far from over," Krueger said. "He comes back all the time, like yesterday. He's always in every point, doesn't miss a whole lot, doesn't give you a lot of errors."

Rubin took a 40-15 lead serving at 2-5, but Krueger won the final four points of the match, the last on a netted backhand by Rubin.

Krueger and Kozlov have never played, which is no surprise, given the four-year difference in their ages, but Krueger has heard about the prodigy.

"I've seen him play," said Krueger. "It will be interesting. When you play him, you can't think about his age. He's just as good as any of these guys. I'm pretty excited to see how it goes."
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #74
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
I think Schneider is also planning on playing college tennis, can't remember but I'm thinking Carolina.
yes North Carolina. I'm not happy with that. Can't have UNC getting elite suddenly.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #75
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
yes North Carolina. I'm not happy with that. Can't have UNC getting elite suddenly.
I'm okay with that since I live in the area . But tennis is not that big here though, it is college basketball 24-7.