1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson, etc. - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #256
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

Did you check out the Kzoo draws yet?
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #257
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

Just did, well for the 18s anyway.

Would love to see Krueger and Rubin meet in the quarterfinal, not a bad draw for either player.
Also would like to see Kwiatkowski and Escobedo battle it out in the 3rd round, but I think Novikov will be the winner from that section.
I think Schneider, Craig, or Adams will come out of section 4.
Would love to see a Papa-Brymer match , Hiltzik will be tough to beat.
I think Vinsant will be the one to beat in section 6.
Kozlov should be able to make it to the 5th round along with Halebian.
As for the last section, it is hard to see anyone get past Redlicki.

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #258
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Noah got the win by retirement, GL to him against Ilyushin, who is a good college player.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #259
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
Noah got the win by retirement, GL to him against Ilyushin, who is a good college player.
Since the K-Zoo starts tomorrow, wouldn't he have to lose the match to make it in time?

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”

Last edited by SapELee : 08-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #260
country flag Smoke944

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Since the K-Zoo starts tomorrow, wouldn't he have to lose the match to make it in time?
No, he has a bye and then wouldn't play the next day
Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #261
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

So Kwiatkowski is heading to college according to his twitter. I wonder which school.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #262
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
So Kwiatkowski is heading to college according to his twitter. I wonder which school.
I don't see where he mentions himself going to college. He just retweeted someone else who's going to college.....
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #263
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nevermind then

Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #264
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Boys tennis: New Trier grad Jared Hiltzik prepares game for professional career

Quote:
WILMETTE — Even though he’s not played a college tennis tournament, Jared Hiltzik already is preparing himself for a future as a professional.

One of the highlights this summer for the New Trier graduate and incoming freshman at Illinois was earning a spot as wild card in the field at Winnetka’s ATP Challenger Tour event in July and winning his first match.

Hiltzik, the state runner-up as a junior to former teammate Robert Stineman, also played at a Futures tournament in Tampa, dropping in the first round of the main draw.

“It’s a new game,” he said, comparing the competition at the junior level. “I know I hit the ball well and move better than a lot of them. A lot of it now is mental. It’s all about the tournament play, and how you prepare and treat each match.”

A Wilmette resident, Hiltzik is in Kalamazoo, Mich., for the USTA Boys’ 18 National Championships this week. He’s playing both singles and doubles. The tournament started Friday and concludes Sunday to mark the end of Hiltzik’s splendid summer.

Continue reading: http://wilmette.suntimes.com/sports/...SATVqc.twitter
If he makes it to the final of K-Zoo, I will be very impressed. It would be his 4th consecutive National final (Winter Nat, Spring Nat, Clay Nat).

Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #265
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Seven of Top Eight Seeds Reach 18s Quarterfinals; Wiersholm Takes Out No. 3 Seed Aron Hiltzik in 16s at Nationals

Quote:
Wednesday's round of 16 at the USTA Boys 18 and 16 Nationals started at 9:30 a.m., finished at 6:30 p.m., and featured plenty of drama in those nine hours of play. It didn't produced many upsets, however, as seven of the top eight seeds reached the quarterfinals in the 18s division, with only Mackenzie McDonald, the No. 4 seed, failing to make the final eight.

No. 30 seed Shane Vinsant, who beat McDonald on Tuesday, continued his run today with a 7-6(1), 6-2 victory over No. 28 seed Harrison Richmond and will meet Jared Hiltzik, the No. 6 seed, in one of the two quarterfinal matches scheduled for Thursday. Hiltzik advanced by virtue of a 6-1, 7-6(5) win over No. 9 seed Spencer Papa, a match that featured two unusual occurrences. Playing on Court 1, which, along with Courts 2 and 3, has a radar gun, Hiltzik cracked a big serve in the first set. A glance up to the radar display showed the serve speed registering as 166 mph, which would be a world record.

"When I saw it, I looked up at my coaches and they were laughing the entire time, yeah right. I could hear them from up there," said Hiltzik, who said his top serve speed would probably be in the 123 to 125 mph range. "They knew I would get a big head because of it."

That serve was part of a nearly flawless first set that Hiltzik played, but in the second set, Papa eliminated most of the errors he was making to assist Hiltzik in the first, and Hiltzik was content to play less aggressively than he had.

"In the first set, I really came out with a game plan and was playing really, really well. I was loose," said the 18-year-old from Wilmette, Illinois, who was serving for the math at 5-3 in the second set. "In the second set I just went back to some old habits, thought too much about the match. He started making more shots, but that was because my level decreased."

The tiebreaker didn't go well for Hiltzik either, at least not until he fell behind 5-3. He hit a forehand winner for 5-5, then played some eye-popping defense on the next point, which Papa seemingly had won several times. Hiltzik final dipped a perfect running forehand pass by Papa who was waiting to put away a floater at the net, and when Papa lost the point, he threw his racquet, and when it landed on the other side of the net, the chair umpire announced a point penalty for racquet abuse, which ended the match.

"He was calm the entire match, and then just that one outburst," said Hiltzik. "The tiebreaker wasn't looking too good, even though I was up, it wasn't feeling too great. I got way behind in that point, but just hung in there and when he came up, I just used my speed to pass him. My defensive game is really good, it's just my offense that has to improve."

To that end, Hiltzik was out on an unoccupied court practicing with his coach Billy Heiser immediately after the match.

The other quarterfinal on Thursday will feature No. 8 seed Alexios Halebian against No. 2 seed Michael Redlicki, both of whom won three set matches to advance. Halebian defeated 14-year-old Stefan Kozlov 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, while Redlicki beat 16-year-old Deiton Baughman 6-3, 6-7(7), 6-1.

The two quarterfinal matches scheduled for Friday will find top seed Mitchell Krueger against No. 5 seed Noah Rubin, the third time they have met in late in a major junior event. Krueger defeated Rubin 6-4, 6-1 to win the ITF Pan American Closed final last October, and then beat him 7-6(4), 3-6, 6-2 in the semifinals of this past April's International Spring Championships in Carson. On Wednesday, Krueger defeated unseeded Mihir Kumar 6-3, 6-2, while Rubin had considerably more trouble with his unseeded opponent, Nick Wood. Wood forced a third set, but Rubin prevailed 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.

Last year's 16s champion Ronnie Schneider extended his Kalamazoo win streak to 11 matches with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over No. 31 seed Harrison Adams. Schneider's opponent in Friday's quarterfinal will be No. 3 seed Dennis Novikov, who beat No. 10 seed Thai Kwiatkowski 6-4, 6-4 on Wednesday afternoon.

In the 16s, top seed Mitch Stewart has been flying under the radar, or at least playing in the shadow of No. 2 seed and Kalamazoo resident Paul Oosterbaan. Oosterbaan drew the biggest crowd yet to watch his 7-5, 6-4 win over No. 16 seed Nathan Ponwith, while Stewart took care of No. 10 seed Will Showers 6-3, 6-2. But Stewart's efficiency in getting on and off the show courts has been part of the reason he hasn't drawn much attention.

"Three of my four matches have been on the center stage," said the 2012 Clay Court champion. "I just love this tournament though. You don't need to be recognized to have fun here. It's the best tournament in the country, I love it."

Stewart had beaten Showers in the quarterfinals at the Clays, but said Showers tried a different strategy today.

"In the beginning of the match he was just sort of grinding, moonballing," said Stewart. "At clays he was actually trying to hit big. I don't know if he thought he could hang with me in a rally, but he actually tried this time. But once he started getting tired he went back to hitting big, and that's kind of falling into my trap. They're prone to make more errors and my whole game is just running every ball down and not making errors."

Stewart will play Logan Staggs, the No. 13 seed, in one of Friday's quarterfinals. Staggs defeated unseeded Chase Colton 6-3, 7-5 to advance in the evening's last singles match.

Oosterbaan will play No. 7 seed Tommy Mylnikov in Thursday's quarterfinal. Mylnikov, a semifinalist at the Clays, beat unseeded Cameron Klinger 6-3, 7-5 Wednesday afternoon, using his big ground strokes to overcome 2011 14s National champion Klinger.

The other quarterfinal on Thursday will feature No. 32 seed Sasha Gozun against unseeded Shane Monroe. Gozun, who had played for nearly four hours in his win over No. 4 seed Logan Smith on Tuesday, had another marathon, this time beating unseeded Shawn Hadavi 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(4). Ironically, that was the exact same score of Hadavi's win over William Little on Tuesday, down to the last point of the tiebreaker. Monroe defeated unseeded Michael Genender 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Spencer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hiltzik8-8-12.jpg (51.9 KB, 0 views)

Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #266
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

YES!!!!! NOAH! def Krueger 6-2 6-4 Yes! Yes! Yes! What a win!
Hopefully Schnieder can take out novikov too.. that'd be a great opportunity in the semis for both of them.
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #267
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Congrats on the victory PTWahoo14.

Consolation Match:
Redlicki, Martin (23) def. Papa, Spencer (9) 4-6, 0-2 Ret(inj)

You got to be kidding me . Papa seems to be injury-prone. Looking forward to the Kozlov/Krueger match in the consolation tournament.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #268
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Novikov and Halebian Reach 18s Final; Wiersholm and Gozun to Decide 16s National Champion Sunday

Quote:
The stakes are high Sunday at Stowe Stadium, when No. 3 seed Dennis Novikov and No. 8 seed Alexios Halebian meet for the first time to determine the 2012 Boys 18s National Champion.

Novikov, a freshman at UCLA, and Halebian, who turned professional last year, are vying for the US Open main draw wild card that goes to the Sunday afternoon's winner, following impressive performances in Saturday's semifinals.

On an unseasonably cool but thankfully dry day, Novikov defeated No. 5 seed Noah Rubin 7-6(6), 6-3, while almost simultaneously, Halebian eliminated No. 6 seed Jared Hiltzik 6-3, 7-6(5).

The 16-year-old Rubin had held his own in the opening set, but the size and power of Novikov, who will be 19 in November took its toll.

"In the second set I felt he got a little tired," said Novikov, from San Jose, Calif. "He didn't serve as well as he did in the first set and I took advantage of my opportunities. He served a little worse and I stepped up my returns."

Novikov could also rely on his serve to get him out of trouble, as at 1-2 in the second set, when he faced a break point after a rare double fault. Novikov hit a service winner to save it, and two more good serves gave him the game. When Rubin was broken at love serving at 3-3, Novikov would have the only advantage he would need, and he began to dictate play on every point with his powerful ground strokes.

"I feel he struggled with my ball," said Novikov, who didn't have an opportunity to scout Rubin because he was playing his quarterfinal at the same time, but relied on his parents for advice. "My parents said yesterday he was hitting the ball a lot, going for winners and stuff, but I feel he couldn't really do that with me. I hit a heavier ball than who he played yesterday (top seed Mitchell Krueger)."

Rubin had Fox News television personality and family friend Sean Hannity supporting him from behind Court 2, but the New Yorker wasn't able to dent the Novikov serve late in the second set, and two backhand winners ended his run while propelling Novikov into his first National Championship final.

As he did in his quarterfinal win over No. 2 seed Michael Redlicki, Halebian got off to a quick start against Hiltzik, breaking him for a 2-0 first set lead and holding the rest of the way. In the second set, both players had many break point opportunities, but none were converted, leading to a tiebreaker.

"I thought I played a decent tiebreaker," said Halebian, and 18-year-old from Glendale, Calif. "I played okay, I thought. I hit a winner or two that was called out, it was close, but it really looked in from my point of view. He had his chances and didn't convert. He could have played a little better, I thought, and I don't know what happened, but it went my way."

Halebian is attempting to keep the US Open main draw wild card thoughts out of his mind as he prepares for the best-of-five set final Sunday afternoon.

"I'm just trying not to think about it," Halebian said of the biggest prize in US junior tennis. "It's a long day tomorrow, three out of five...I'm physically ready and I like long matches...I'm really excited to play tomorrow."

Novikov calls playing in the final of Kalamazoo for the first time a "great experience," one he hopes will lead to Flushing Meadows later this month.

"If I can get a win tomorrow, it would be an even better experience at the US Open," Novikov said.....

Old 08-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #269
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Novikov, Wiersholm End Perfect Week at Nationals with Singles Titles

Quote:
Dennis Novikov captured his first two gold balls in his last junior tournament this week, adding the USTA National 18s singles championship and another US Open wild card to the doubles championship he claimed on Saturday.

Novikov, the No. 3 seed, defeated No. 8 seed Alexios Halebian 7-6(3), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 to finish his ten days in Kalamazoo 13-0.....

Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #270
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-