Austria vs Russia Davis Cup - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
country flag MightyJurgenfan

MightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Austria vs Russia Davis Cup

What are the chances for Austria? They are playing at home so will have the crowd with them.
Russia has a strong team with Youzhny and Bogomolov playing singles. For Austria, the hopes are Melzer and Haiden Maurer. It will be up to the new Austrian coach Trimmel as what team he uses in the doubles. He can chose from Peya and Marach and will most likely team one of them up with Melzer.
How do you feel Austria will do? I hope they can pull of a 3-2 win. It will be close I feel.
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
country flag Sweetspot

Sweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Austria vs Russia Davis Cup

I must admit I'm a little concerned about Jurgen (what's his nickname again, MJF?)

When he lost in straights to Karlovic in the first round of Australian Open, I couldnt help wondering whether his back was bothering him. He just didnt appear to be 100% in the doubles, either, being knocked out in the third round (somehow I expected melz/petz to at least make it to the quarters)

It was nice to see him win five singles matches at zagreb last week ........ he and peya lost their second doubles match there last week, so i'm hoping melzer will play doubles with marach, since they won the third rubber for Austria vs. France last September, but he should probably only play doubles if he's able to win his first singles vs. (I assume) bogomolov ..... shocking to see that Bogo is now ranked higher at no. 35 than Jurgen is at no. 41

oh ... I just listened to jurgen's interview yesterday with chris bowers @ http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/audi...-quarters.aspx

what a poised, articulate and intelligent man jurgen sounds like in that interview ... and he mentions that he w/b concentrating on the two singles rubbers, probably leaving the doubles to marach/peya ....... After all, they were tournament champions at Auckland a month ago! ..... sweet!

Sweetspot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
country flag Sweetspot

Sweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond reputeSweetspot has a reputation beyond repute

Schedule looks possible for Jurgen in the first rubber
Kuni leads their H2H 2-0, the most recent being USOpen six months ago ... BUT ... Melz has been succeeding a lot better than Kuni this year, so it's a good chance that the austrian can best the russian in austria on indoor hard this friday ... gooooooooo Jurgen!!!

Second rubber not quite so optimistic for austria, although haider-maurer can play above his class, especially at home (as he did in vienna 2010) ... i'd love it if he'd beat bogomolov

@ MightyJurgenfan
Did I once see you refer to Jurgen by a nickname? Or does he have one? Do you know? ... thx
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

MightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria vs Russia Davis Cup

R1 J. MELZER V I. KUNITSYN
R2 A. HAIDER-MAURER V A. BOGOMOLOV
R3 O. MARACH/A. PEYA V N. DAVYDENKO/M. YOUZHNY
R4 J. MELZER V A. BOGOMOLOV
R5 A. HAIDER-MAURER V I. KUNITSYN

Jurgen really needs to win his match.
He does have a nickname but I do not remember what it is. I think I saw it on his twitter web site once. It did not make sense to me and that is most likely why I can not remember it.
I think he is playing better now and he says he feels fine which is great for him. So many times he plays injured and never lets anyone know he haa a problem. As fans we do not need to know, but when he loses unexpectdly we wish we could know. I have never heard him use an excuse for losing even when he is playing hurt. In fact the only time I saw him retire during a match was years ago in memphis after he had food poisening. He retired in his singles match. Both he and Julian Knowle got it along with many other players. After two days rest Jurgen and Julian played in the doubles finals and lost. They were still sick and probably should not have played. They gave all the credit to their opponents.
I admire Jurgen and have been told by a friend who interviews him that Jurgen is a very intelligent young man and very knowledgeable on many subjects. I am deaf so can not hear the interview. I wish I could.
Please keep posting here. Sometimes I wonder if other people are reading my posts.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Why is Russia listing Kunitsyn over Youzhny?

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
country flag Sweetspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
Why is Russia listing Kunitsyn over Youzhny?
I was wondering the same thing ... maybe Youz strained himself and hasn't yet recovered from winning both the singles and the doubles titles at zagreb last week?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
country flag Sweetspot

Thumbs up Re: Austria vs Russia Davis Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyJurgenfan View Post
R1 J. MELZER V I. KUNITSYN
R2 A. HAIDER-MAURER V A. BOGOMOLOV
R3 O. MARACH/A. PEYA V N. DAVYDENKO/M. YOUZHNY
R4 J. MELZER V A. BOGOMOLOV
R5 A. HAIDER-MAURER V I. KUNITSYN

Jurgen really needs to win his match.

He does have a nickname but I do not remember what it is. I think I saw it on his twitter web site once. It did not make sense to me and that is most likely why I can not remember it.
that makes sense ... and now that you mention it, maybe I saw it in that same tweet cuz i vaguely remember having the same reaction

Quote:
I think he is playing better now and he says he feels fine which is great for him. So many times he plays injured and never lets anyone know he haa a problem. As fans we do not need to know, but when he loses unexpectdly we wish we could know. I have never heard him use an excuse for losing even when he is playing hurt. In fact the only time I saw him retire during a match was years ago in memphis after he had food poisening. He retired in his singles match. Both he and Julian Knowle got it along with many other players. After two days rest Jurgen and Julian played in the doubles finals and lost. They were still sick and probably should not have played. They gave all the credit to their opponents.
I also only saw him retire once ... can't remember which tournament at the moment ?maybe miami last year? ... he turned his ankle, was writhing in pain on the ground, and mohammed lahyani got down out of the chair to check on him ... his opponent (who might have been petzschner?) brought a bag of ice over to him ... still he got helped over to his bench and had the trainer come out and tape him up ... he went on for a while longer, maybe even finishing that set, then finally had to retire.

Quote:
I admire Jurgen and have been told by a friend who interviews him that Jurgen is a very intelligent young man and very knowledgeable on many subjects. I am deaf so can not hear the interview. I wish I could.

Please keep posting here. Sometimes I wonder if other people are reading my posts.
Well, I admire you youre the single most significant factor in getting us a Melzer forum IMO, so thanks!

Sometimes they have transcripts of those interviews, so I'll see if I can find it to post here ........ I, for one, read all your posts, so from now on I'll be a little more responsive ... lookin forward to seeing jurgen play tomorrow ... are you planning to watch?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #8

Is it possible for us to watch? What would I need to do? I usually follow the score but do not know how to watch the match.
There were some pictures from the draw on Yahoo tennis photos. I noticed you know how to post pictures on this thread. Do you think you could post them here.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
country flag Sweetspot

Quote:
Is it possible for us to watch? What would I need to do? I usually follow the score but do not know how to watch the match.
There were some pictures from the draw on Yahoo tennis photos. I noticed you know how to post pictures on this thread. Do you think you could post them here.
absolutely! ... that is, unless you live in either Ireland or United Kingdom

it does cost a little under $10 for the weekend Friday through Sunday @ http://www.itfteamevents.tv/page/Dav...,12916,00.html

they already have some short prematch vids posted there for free so you can check out the quality @ http://www.itfteamevents.tv/page/Dav...,12916,00.html

here's the link to the page where you sign up @ http://www.itfteamevents.tv/page/log...6%2C00.html%3F

... and if you havent done so already, you can also check out daviscup.com @ http://www.daviscup.com/en/video/index.aspx

I havent seen the yahoo pics yet, but i'll go check on that and post them here ... see ya!

===

for people who dont want to pay, there are some free streams (never quite as clear or unbuffered as the ones that cost, but better than nothing) available @ http://www.livescorehunter.com/Lives...re-Tennis.html

any questions that occur to you, please feel free to ask!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
country flag Sweetspot

Red face Re: Austria vs Russia Davis Cup

was it the euro yahoo where you saw the davis cup pics? i didnt find any right away on the american yahoo, but if you post a link, I'll copy them and post here

found this one only so far ... looks like he's being interviewed and has his game face on already ... sigh ... i just love those lips of his ... er ... um ... i mean never mind!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #11

I love the picture. Try looking up Tennis.com. scroll down to where it says Photo wire. You have to through several pages to find the ones of the Austrian team and also a picture of Jurgen pointing to show he plays Knuitsyn.
I rad that Bogo is injured and may be replaced.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #12

Any idea what time the matches start?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
country flag Sweetspot

Quote:
I love the picture. Try looking up Tennis.com. scroll down to where it says Photo wire. You have to through several pages to find the ones of the Austrian team and also a picture of Jurgen pointing to show he plays Knuitsyn.
I rad that Bogo is injured and may be replaced.
that's extremely interesting about Bogo ... it's hard to know about that guy ... he seems to be tempermental ... saw him tank bad in paris/bercy last season ... last week in zagreb he lost in the second round to Lukas Lacko which was a bit of an upset, even tho Lacko was hotter in zagreb than he has been for a while.

I'll check out the tennis.com site ...... meanwhile, I found these on the davis cup official site ... jurgen looking determined ...

Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really think, Jürgen will be up against Kunitsyn? Knowing Tarpishev as the fox that he is, I expect another joker from him.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
country flag Sweetspot

Arrow Re: Austria vs Russia Davis Cup

Quote:
Any idea what time the matches start?
yes ... these three all start at the same time: 1300 GMT (1400--2PM in their home countries)

you can keep tabs on the time in Wiener Neustadt, Austria @
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...en.html?n=2052