Lolling at the Wikipedia blackout - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
country flag EddceLLent

EddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lolling at the Wikipedia blackout

I was amused to find out today that if you employ the leet hacker technique of pressing escape before it redirects you to the blocked page, you'll be able to view Wikipedia as normal.
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lolling at the Wikipedia blackout

LOL good find.

It's been really tough today..

Singles: (61/10) Finals: 1-5 ATP, 3-1 Challengers
W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12
Slams:1R,3R,3R,QF

Doubles: (9/5) Finals: 3-4 ATP, 8-7 Challengers
W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Slams:2R,3R,QF,W
orangehat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

I envy your flags today, as I am embarrassed to be associated with a country that is even having a chance of passing that bill. The internet would be destroyed as we all know it.
tennisfan856 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

What is that law all about anyway?

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

the music and movie industry want piracy to end, so they are forcing lawmakers to pass it. But there are so many wrong things in this bill that it literally strips away the freedoms of the internet.

For instance, since this forum is touching upon some affiliations with the ATP and its copyrighted product, it would be forced to shut down. Any forum or site that touches upon the subject of a company or brand (a gaming forum or blog) will be taken down. Twitter and facebook would be censured and crumble as well.

A lot of websites would be in jeopardy, specifically youtube. anything dealing with third-party content or another brand is in trouble.

We would be restricted to what we can see and put internet in a prohibition era.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

It's an awful bill.

'awaits buddyholly's excuse for why the US are doing it'
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't going to bother, because I haven't read the bill. I doubt you have either. I understand there may be problems with the bill as written because it would be possible to keep a website closed while complaints work their way through the courts.

But the basic concept of copyright needs to be protected. Nobody thinks they can walk into a music store with the right to walk out with whatever CDs they want. It should be the same with internet downloads.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
Twitter and facebook would be censured and crumble as well.
Whatever the problems with the bill, this alone makes it worth passing.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddceLLent View Post
I was amused to find out today that if you employ the leet hacker technique of pressing escape before it redirects you to the blocked page, you'll be able to view Wikipedia as normal.
Would this have been obvious to geeks in advance? I can't believe such a simple manoeuvre was not explained in newspaper articles beforehand.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #10

even if it does pass, hackers and pirates will always find a way to distribute the copyrighted material. Like senior citizens know what IRC is or newsgroups.

The bill is considered fruitless, yet damaging to all other aspects of the internet. Buddy, I understand you don't like that type of stuff but if those two sites are brought down, think of what else they could do. We would be back in the prehistoric era of the internet.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
I envy your flags today, as I am embarrassed to be associated with a country that is even having a chance of passing that bill. The internet would be destroyed as we all know it.
Then make sure you don't change your flag to a country that already has such legislation.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Buddy, I understand you don't like that type of stuff but if those two sites are brought down, think of what else they could do. We would be back in the prehistoric era of the internet.
That was a joke, but I do believe that the ironically-named ''social media'' sites like those have actually killed real-world social interaction. What is so social about only having internet strangers as ''friends''?

They should more properly be referred to as anti-social media.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
What is that law all about anyway?
It's happened in Spain already, apparently. The US involved of course, we can't keep our noses out of other countries' affairs
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...edly-involved/
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...t_sopa-sty.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
What is so social about only having internet strangers as ''friends''?
I have actually met many friends through twitter and I have met several of them in real life, usually at tennis tournaments, and we exchange Christmas and birthday cards and gifts. Every friend starts out as a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

is this comedy...? or a scene out of 1984...? i'm not sure i'm getting it
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong example. It's not stealing as it's simply a case of someone buying and then sharing with others. One can argue that by buying something, you have the right to what you want with said purchase as you now retain ownership.

If I buy milk and share it, the Dairyman has no business complaining as it's now my milk to do what i want with/
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I wasn't going to bother, because I haven't read the bill. I doubt you have either. I understand there may be problems with the bill as written because it would be possible to keep a website closed while complaints work their way through the courts.

But the basic concept of copyright needs to be protected. Nobody thinks they can walk into a music store with the right to walk out with whatever CDs they want. It should be the same with internet downloads.
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote