Canadian MTFers Members Introduction Thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian MTFers Members Introduction Thread

Hey guys, I figure I start up a thread about ourselves and why we like tennis, and particularly, get to know all each other since all of us support our fellow Canadian players. So I'll start with myself,

==
About me:
Well, I'm originally from Quebec but moved to BC a year ago. My real name is Tommy. I've been following tennis since 1999. Ever since then, I've been suppporting the Canadian pro players like Nestor, Lareau, Niemeyer and now, the current crop of players we have.

I myself enjoy playing tennis. They got courts here in Quesnel, British Columbia. Whenever the season is right, I got out to play. I've been playing tennis since I was 15. Last summer, I played lots of tennis, like 3-5 times a week every week. My style of tennis is serve & volley. I like to charge the net.

My favorite players on the ATP tour include Patrick Rafter, Pete Sampras, Goran Ivanisevic, Sebastien Grosjean, Marat Safin, Andre Agassi, Robin Soderling, Roger Federer, Daniel Nestor, Milos Raonic, PLD, Erik Chvojka, Peter Polansky.

I'm a staunch supporter of Canadian tennis. If it were possible, I wish Canadian players could win Slams every year and populate the ATP Top 10 every season but realistically speaking, that's a lot to ask and not too possible but I got high hopes for Milos and Vasek. Those two guys will be the rock core of our Davis Cup team for years to come. Also, I would love to see more ATP 250 events in Canada like one in Vancouver and another in Calgary and then another in either Montreal or Toronto. I think we should embrace grass courts as our national surface.

==

Anyways, anyone else's turn?

oh yes, mods if you see this thread, sticky it.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
country flag Miss Molly

Miss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Molly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian MTFers Members Introduction Thread

I live in Toronto and have been following tennis since the 70s. I don't really play anymore but I did play a ton when I was younger, mostly doubles. I've been a Federer fan for years and love watching our Canadians now. I still can't believe we have so many good Canucks, especially Milos, doing such amazing things at tournaments not named Rogers Cup!
Miss Molly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
country flag xpatkate

xpatkate is on a distinguished road

Hi all!

I've been a tennis fan since around 1995 when Martina Hingis started to capture my attention early on in her career, I really loved her style of play. I mainly followed women's tennis until another Swiss (coincidentally) awed me with his first Wimbledon victory, these days I tend to mostly watch men's tennis. I have lived in Ottawa and Montreal but now call Amsterdam home. Went to as many Rogers Cups as I could when I lived in Canada (watching Nadal beat Agassi in the Montreal final in 2005 was particularly memorable).

I've enjoyed following Milos' ascent in the rankings over the past year (hope Pospisil can crack the top 100 soon too) and try to watch as many of his matches as I can. Glad to hear they seem to be broadcasting more tennis back in Canada lately.

Anyways, I have been lurking on this board for awhile and figured I would join and add my 2cents here and there or post relevant news.
cheers
xpatkate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpatkate View Post
Hi all!

I've been a tennis fan since around 1995 when Martina Hingis started to capture my attention early on in her career, I really loved her style of play. I mainly followed women's tennis until another Swiss (coincidentally) awed me with his first Wimbledon victory, these days I tend to mostly watch men's tennis. I have lived in Ottawa and Montreal but now call Amsterdam home. Went to as many Rogers Cups as I could when I lived in Canada (watching Nadal beat Agassi in the Montreal final in 2005 was particularly memorable).

I've enjoyed following Milos' ascent in the rankings over the past year (hope Pospisil can crack the top 100 soon too) and try to watch as many of his matches as I can. Glad to hear they seem to be broadcasting more tennis back in Canada lately.

Anyways, I have been lurking on this board for awhile and figured I would join and add my 2cents here and there or post relevant news.
cheers
Glad to see you posting. Hopefully you join us on here more often
Old 01-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Glad to see you posting. Hopefully you join us on here more often
Hey Snowwy, why don't you introduce yourself?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg6 View Post
Hey Snowwy, why don't you introduce yourself?
I live in Canada. Followed tennis really closely since 2005 and in passing since the late 90's. Favorite player of all time is Patrick Rafter. Challenger and futures circuit are much more interesting to me than the ATP circuit. I probably follow tennis Ontario as closely as the ATP outside grand slams.

Not sure what else to say.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
country flag tommyg6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
I live in Canada. Followed tennis really closely since 2005 and in passing since the late 90's. Favorite player of all time is Patrick Rafter. Challenger and futures circuit are much more interesting to me than the ATP circuit. I probably follow tennis Ontario as closely as the ATP outside grand slams.

Not sure what else to say.
How come you find challengers & futures more interesting? and who's that person on your avatar picture.

Last edited by tommyg6 : 01-15-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
Snowwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg6 View Post
How come you find challengers & futures more interesting? and who's that person on your avatar picture.
Well following Canadian tennis usually leads to futures in the past and the rare challenger. But there is much more variety in terms of events, surface and field. I just find the real tour with Roger, then Rafa and now Novak winning everything, its just not as exciting. In a futures event, you can get a top seed ranked 250 in the world and have him lose to a player ranked 1000 since the player ranked 1000 might be a top college player or maybe that player is really streaky. I just find the parity very nice.

My picture is my future wife (obviously). Viktoria Azarenka.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
country flag RogerExpress

RogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond reputeRogerExpress has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a canadian (I was born and live in Buenos Aires, Argentina) but usually post in Raonic forum and support Canada in Davis Cup (except you play against Argentina). I began follow Milos after watching the match against Gonzalez in Montreal '09. Started watching tennis in 2001 when "La Legion" (Coria, Cañas, Gaudio, Calleri, Chela, etc) was doing his 1st steps. Tennis is my second favourite sport after football soccer, also like NBA (I'm a Warriors fan)
RogerExpress is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
country flag Brad1973

Brad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Miloslav Mecir play in 1987 and I've been hooked ever since. I've been a Federer fan since 2001 when he single handedly demolished the American Davis Cup team by rushing the net frequently. I don't regret picking him. I used to go to the Canadian Open quite regularly, both in Toronto and in Montreal, but in recent years I prefer going to see Davis Cup. I can't make it as often as I would like because of my schedule. I've been to Canada's home ties against Peru (in Calgary, in 2003), Belarus (Toronto, 2005), Ecuador (Toronto, 2009, heartbreaker!) and Dominican Republic (Toronto, 2010). I won't be Vancouver next month.

I have rarely played, which is good because I'm prone to knee problems.
Brad1973 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Katarina. I was born in Serbia but have been in Toronto almost continuously since the age of 4. I work for a local weekly newspaper as a proofreader/listings coordinator.

My dad played tennis when he was young and was a fan of the sport, so as far back as I can remember, I sat with him and watched tennis on TV. I remember liking Edberg and cheering for Sampras and Safin before I became a huge Federer fan.

I'm glad to have some promising Canadian players to cheer for, though I can't cheer for anyone else vs Fed.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
country flag Jeffy

Jeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond reputeJeffy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fellow Canadian tennis fans.

I've been lurking here for a while now and decided to finally sign up.

I was a fan of tennis in the 70's (McEnroe, Borg, Lendl, et al) and played during my early teens, but lost interest as none of my friends cared about the game. By the time I was about 14 or 15, playing tennis with my Mom was not high on my list of priorities.

The emergence of Milos Raonic and the other Canadian players over the last few years has rekindled my interest. I attended the Davis Cup tie in Vancouver last year with my Mom (enjoying tennis with my Mom and my Dad is again high on my list of priorities now that they are both in their mid-70s and still play tennis regularly) and I have attended Indian Wells and the Odlum Brown Challenger in Vancouver and loved every minute of it.

I will no doubt be labelled a Canatard here because I support all Canadian tennis players (Pospisil is my favourite), but I appreciate all players and styles.

Jeffy
Jeffy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote