The Fedal era seems to be completely over or will be by the end of this year - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #61
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Fedal era seems to be completely over or will be by the end of this year

Wake up people, Rafa is not done yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Ok - keep telling yourself that. At the end of the day when people look back at the records they will see 5 losses for Federer in 2006, 4 to an all time great and 1 to another great player (I presume Murray will win a slam and even if not his many Masters gives him some part in the history of the sport...). They'll look at who Novak lost to and say "Who was Tipsarevic? And who's this Nishikori that bagelled him?" (Unless Nishikori turns out to be a future GOAT!). Federer played at/near his best all of 2006 - Novak could only keep going till the US Open being AWOL for over 2 months of the season. I understand why and I don't blame him for getting tired but it still counts.

I'm not saying those guys beat the best Novak, clearly not - but if you have injuries or you're fatigued that doesn't show up on the record. I would put Nadal's Mayer & Dodig losses down to mental fatigue but ultimately he lost & it's on his record too... So Djokovic lost to all of those players, no matter what factors were involved.
so you prove your point by diminishing Nole's opponents. Nice one. Just one thing, don't forget that when people look back they might also remember a 10-1 h2h against FEDAL aka the tennis greatest,

I also think that Fed 2006 season was better than Nole's, but you're perspective is more than biased and I believe you don't see the big picture here.

You can obviously say that I am also biased, I am. But The difference is that I do know that my player's season was not the best, yet it had moments and statistics that were far more impressive than Roger's 2006.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #62
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Fedal era seems to be completely over or will be by the end of this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I also think that Fed 2006 season was better than Nole's, but you're perspective is more than biased and I believe you don't see the big picture here.

You can obviously say that I am also biased, I am. But The difference is that I do know that my player's season was not the best, yet it had moments and statistics that were far more impressive than Roger's 2006.
I don't see how I haven't seen the big picture. Did I say Novak's 2011 wasn't impressive? Or the 10-1 vs Fedal wasn't even more impressive? Of course it was. I was simply responding to the suggestion that the only real loss Novak had was to Federer - I'm saying all losses count. Of course there were moments that were better than Roger's 2006 (the streak for one...) but that wasn't the issue. The issue was can we say Novak only had one real loss? No.

I've actually always been more a Novak fan than a Federer fan, so Federer is not 'my player' - I just think on paper it's clear that his 2006 is a pretty untouchable season.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #63
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egreen View Post
Maybe outside of clay he is.
He made the Wimbledon and US Open final

Federer has gone out in the semi's or quarters for two years now, and yet he's still talked about like he's the big favourite to win them? Nadal makes the final, after winning them the year before, and he's 'done'?

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #64
country flag Egreen

Egreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Wake up people, Rafa is not done yet.
Maybe outside of clay he is.

The only slam he might win is RG.

He has not won a title off clay in ages(not even a mm title) and it's not just been Djokovic stopping him off clay in the past year but other players like: Davydenko, Ferrer, Tsonga(twice), Dodig, Fish, Murray, Mayer, Federer, Monfils.

I edited my post.

Last edited by Egreen : 01-09-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Egreen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #65
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
He made the Wimbledon and US Open final

Federer has gone out in the semi's or quarters for two years now, and yet he's still talked about like he's the big favourite to win them? Nadal makes the final, after winning them the year before, and he's 'done'?
Federer is always overrated by the pundits and forums Nadal always underrated. Its a bit like the way both the guys like it too in a way..
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #66
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

silly jumping the gun thread......

of all the players last season, Nadal had the second most successful! It's funny how you all jump on board throwing a player under the bus as soon as they do not preform exactly at perfection.

Nadal has good 2011 season in general just not one up to his regular standards. his level of play was not THAT low, despite being not as high as regular, and it is an illusion that players 'other' than NOvak Djokovic can beat him and are figuring him out. Nadal always loses in the asian and indoor season so his recent losses have not been unusual whatsoever.

and if you're basing it off of Doha then that is just silly, he's never won Doha despite all of his successful seasons and falls in the QF or SF over and over.

it is really really jumping the gun to say this about Nadal as his form was actually pretty good in Doha and you are in for a surprise if you think someone as determined as him will not win more.

Federer I still believe will be on top of the game for multiple years too. for gods sake he won the world tour finals handedly just a month ago and was on a big win streak. he is not done either.

the fedal era is over in that they are not dominating every single big tournament like they once did, but do not mistake that for meaning they are not going to remain on top of the game.

don't jump the gun

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #67
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
the fedal era is over in that they are not dominating every single big tournament like they once did, but do not mistake that for meaning they are not going to remain on top of the game.

don't jump the gun
Some sanity at last. To be honest to me it says a lot that despite Nadal being mentally pretty scarred by those Djokovic losses from about Madrid onwards, and also having his worst clay form since he joined the tour, he still managed to win RG & then get to the finals of Wimbledon & the US Open. Even after the US Open he was able to find reserves to help Spain win another Davis Cup & got to the final of Tokyo. Similar to 2009 where in the final half of the year his form wasn't there but still good enough to get to the final of Shanghai 09; semis of US Open; have a very consistent year in all the Masters Series & finish no.2.

Even his 'diminished' level is usually enough to get by average competition most of the time. To get past the top 4-6 though he needs to be in a better mental state - just like he got to in 2010 after 2009 and he sounds motivated to get to this year. Doesn't mean he won't end up falling behind Djokovic or Murray for example - that's not only in his control - but a freefall where he's losing to everyone in sight is difficult to see as yet. 2005-2010 level dominance (where Fedal won 3 or 4 slams a year) is over but their days as top players don't look to be done - just look at the top 20. Who's a real threat outside the usual Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro? Tsonga has still to show consistency over a whole season...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #68
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Because he's been getting ridiculous draws at Slams. Mugs were never able to beat him and he keeps getting said mugs in Slams. Of course he'll get far as possible because the ATP needs $$$ from finals where he gets spanked by the new boy at No.1, Djoko. It does not say anything about his said mental toughness.

I'd love to have seen him play Tsonga at Wimbledon or the USO. I bet he would have showed a lot of mental toughness in getting his arse kicked out of the (formerly) sacred grass of Wimbledon. Or did I misunderstand you and you meant mental toughness of the kind he showed against DelPo where he called for the trainer when the Argentinian was on a roll?

Last edited by Looner : 01-09-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #69
country flag Ash86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Because he's been getting ridiculous draws at Slams. Mugs were never able to beat him and he keeps getting said mugs in Slams. Of course he'll get far as possible because the ATP needs $$$ from finals where he gets spanked by the new boy at No.1, Djoko. It does not say anything about his said mental toughness.

I'd love to have seen him play Tsonga at Wimbledon or the USO. I bet he would have showed a lot of mental toughness in getting his arse kicked out of the (formerly) sacred grass of Wimbledon. Or did I misunderstand you and you meant mental toughness of the kind he showed against DelPo where he called for the trainer when the Argentinian was on a roll?
Why don't you come up with a list of "non-mugs" that would have thrashed him in slams? Tsonga is one though he lost for the first time to Tsonga this year since 2008 so I hardly think Tsonga on grass means an annihilation.

In this year alone he played 3 "non-mugs" (for the strength they've shown against Nadal in the past of course!) in the slams - Soderling; Del Potro; Nalbandian. Who in the top 20 should he have got that would have been a better test? (Oh and he played Isner too - one of those big servers he doesn't like). Not many seeds fell early in his draws either - he faced Murray in 3 semis - a much worse match up for him than Federer (despite the more one sided H2H). So please do enlighten us about all the players that should have been stopping him from getting far but were thwarted by the ATP and their rigged draws...

The simple facts are the top 4 are at a different level to the rest of the tour (I will add Del Potro & Tsonga as matching them at their best, but the consistency is an issue...) - they rarely lose in slams without having a bad day themselves too - the match is very very rarely on the racquet of the opponent in a best of 5 match when Fed/Djoko/Nadal/Murray are involved. Even Fed's loss to Tsonga involved some real poor play from Fed - basically being unable to return for 3 sets....
Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #70
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

You should place a tl;dr on your posts as I don't have time to read the same repetitive stuff every single time. The simple fact is Nadal is getting lucky (or deliberately lucky) with draws. Citing an old veteran as his nemesis is also hilarious. I gather Nalbandian is a GS contender in your eyes. You're just hilarious. As for DelPo, he cheated him out of a win so thanks for helping my case.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #71
country flag General Suburbia

General Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond repute

If it truly is over then I feel bad for Nadal. And even worse for the rest of tennis once Federer is gone (although not Federer himself, he's proven enough). And I feel EVEN WORSE now that Djokovic is number one. He's a beast for sure, great respect, but has one of the most boring games to come out in years.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #72
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Suburbia View Post
If it truly is over then I feel bad for Nadal. And even worse for the rest of tennis once Federer is gone (although not Federer himself, he's proven enough). And I feel EVEN WORSE now that Djokovic is number one. He's a beast for sure, great respect, but has one of the most boring games to come out in years.
that is one of my distastes about Djokovic. it's one thing to have such a boring game style but even his personality is SO stale on the court. besides a rawr here and there, nothing! like a robot!

he's hilarious off the court and has great class but wish he would not be so robotic 'in match'. maybe too focused?

definitely will be sad when "Fedal" both are gone as the tennis field will lack some flare but maybe (unlikely??) someone will make up for that in the near future

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #73
country flag Ash86

Quote:
that is one of my distastes about Djokovic. it's one thing to have such a boring game style but even his personality is SO stale on the court. besides a rawr here and there, nothing! like a robot!

he's hilarious off the court and has great class but wish he would not be so robotic 'in match'. maybe too focused?

definitely will be sad when "Fedal" both are gone as the tennis field will lack some flare but maybe (unlikely??) someone will make up for that in the near future
Agreed. Federer & Nadal have very distinct, unique styles. Djokovic on the other hand basically has all the textbook shots and pulls them all off insanely well very much like a tennis robot. That's one reason I find it laughable to suggest that Djokovic is the better shotmaker than Nadal - Djokovic is more aggressive but rarely does he hit the unbelievable shots that Nadal does (or Federer does) i.e. ones that wow the crowd and no one else seems to have in their locker.

The excitement Fedal brought had a lot to do with people who weren't normally tennis fans being to appreciate their game and also the real contrast in styles. I am in awe of Djokovic's consistency & retrieval skills but his style of play is not unique at all...
Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #74
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Boring game style

His game was one of the most electrifying last year in whole of sports.
Shinoj is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #75
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

Federer even at 30 still has the game to beat prime novak but his mental choking is what he has to overcome in 2012. Novak relies physically more on his game than federer did and he started slowing down a few months after turning 25 going into 2007 granted he won 3 slams but he had movement wise declined.

If this decline happens to nole, it will be more pronounced and debilitating since his game will be far more affected by decline in speed, movement, reflexes which are usually visible around 25. He'll win more slams but his physical peak is at this only going downwards.
FedvsNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote