Fed/Rafa/Djoker: how often they've faced the top 5 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed/Rafa/Djoker: how often they've faced the top 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
Congrats Mimic. I have it on good authority that these stats will mean that the tennis authorities will now proceed to Fed's house, and remove at least 6 of his GS trophies, and furthermore, all traces of his having won them will be deleted from the record books
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
MIMIC trying to downplay Fed's (and Nadal's) GS achievements with lousy irrelevant statistics again. What else is new.
I didn't realize this was a Federtard circle jerk forum and every stat had to suggest that he did everything better than everyone else. My apologies.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

nice staats but I think it should be the top 8 .Also since Fed has won 12 slams more than Novak ,thats why his number is low
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
country flag American278

American278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Don't try to sugarcoat Olderer's slam runs Blake was a mug who never reached a slam SF and was Olderer's pigeon as much as Verdasco for Nadal. Both were top 10 players and Verdasco actually made a slam SF

Second, Davydenko is a known slam choker, shit best of 5 player and another Olderer's pigeon. Youzhny actually beat Nadal comfortably on some occasions...

Lastly you are actually comparing all serve clown like Roddick to Djokovic? lol...Maybe you need a reality check. Olderer played absolute clowns in most of his GS finals, while Nadal's wins were much more impressive.
till 2009 roddick had djokovics number so at this time you couldn`t call roddick an all serve mug and it was just fair to compare them ...
American278 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

The top players (top 5), right now, almost always reach the QF/SF of slams. So slam winners of the last couple of years tend to face fellow top players. Whereas before, upsets happened more often. Some guy ranked outside the top 5 would play crazy tennis for 2 weeks and found themselves in the later stages of slams. Simple really.

The reason for that (sentence in Bold), however... (weak era, homogenized surface, top 4 too strong, etc.) is up for debate.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
country flag American278

American278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond reputeAmerican278 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
I was bored and was wondering how often the Big 3 had to beat a top 5 opponent whenever they won a slam. Soooo.....

Djokovic
Slam titles: 4
Top 5 opponents faced: 7
Number of top 5 opponents per title: 1.75

Nadal
Slam titles: 10
Top 5 opponents faced: 13
Number of top 5 opponents per title: 1.3
(NOTE: Nadal faced 6 top 5 opponents during his first 4 slam wins [vs. Djokovic's 7])

Federer
Slam titles: 16
Top 5 opponents he faced: 19
Number of top 5 opponents per title: 1.19
(NOTE: Federer faced 6 top 5 opponents during his first 4 slam wins [vs. Djokovic's 7 & Nadal's 6] and 12 top 5 opponents during his first 10 slam wins [vs. Nadal's 13]. Also, he didn't play a single top 5 seed in two of his slam titles: the 2007 Australian Open [10th slam] & Wimbledon 2009 [15th slam])

Hmmmm....
but you forget that rankings can lie...look at the australian open 2004...safin wasn't even seeded due to injury ...you know what? he played like a top 5player no offence to your stats but they are most useless because rankings doesn`t always tell you the truth about players abilities , form and so on
American278 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time when a player is in the QF+ of a tournament they are in form and playing above their usual standard. The difference in the last few years is that the top 4 are making the SF most of the time regardless of how well they play.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Then there are some players who will never beat the top 4 due to either mental or skill gaps. Playing them is considered an easing circumstance.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Useless thread by a bored noletroll.

Only relevant thing to the History books is:

16>10>4

Period.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't realize this was a Federtard circle jerk forum and every stat had to suggest that he did everything better than everyone else. My apologies.
What does it mean to say that Nadal faced 0.11 more top 5 players than Federer per GS? You haven't given us any reason why we should care about these statistics.

Especially since they tell us nothing about players outside the top 5 (is it 'better' to beat 2 players ranked 6 vs. 1 player ranked 5?), and because they tell us nothing about players' form. Maybe if this thread had any kind of analysis, it might not be totally worthless.
Singularity is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post

16>10>4

Period.
Sad, really. it could be understandable a month ago but tennis is back, there are live matches on, and this guy harping on some numbers game
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

To be frank, Nole had it tougher than Nadal and Federer to win his slams. The competition was much tougher than before.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #27
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

whats wrong with giving numbers .I believe he needs to give it for the top 8 but still 12 slam difference screws the numbers
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #28
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
What does it mean to say that Nadal faced 0.11 more top 5 players than Federer per GS? You haven't given us any reason why we should care about these statistics.

Especially since they tell us nothing about players outside the top 5 (is it 'better' to beat 2 players ranked 6 vs. 1 player ranked 5?), and because they tell us nothing about players' form. Maybe if this thread had any kind of analysis, it might not be totally worthless.
How bout I post the career resumes of every single player they have ever faced (and every player that THEY'VE ever faced) so we can be as thorough as possible, huh? They've all played shitty seeded opponents and they've all played in-form unseeded opponents. This isn't just exclusive to Federer. So let's just ignore that please. If anything, comparing the actual top 5 opponents would be more beneficial.

And yes, I arbitrarily drew the line at top 5. I could just as easily ask you is it better to beat 2 players ranked top 7 vs. 1 player ranked top 6 and could go on and on until we're talking about a player ranked No. 300 so let's just leave it at top 5, OK? When you think "Top 5", you don't think "untalented clowns" do you? So it's not like I'm trying to disingenuously create a group of guys to suit a particular agenda or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingiskingfineon View Post
whats wrong with giving numbers .I believe he needs to give it for the top 8 but still 12 slam difference screws the numbers
It's in the OP: "Federer faced 6 top 5 opponents during his first 4 slam wins [vs. Djokovic's 7 & Nadal's 6] and 12 top 5 opponents during his first 10 slam wins [vs. Nadal's 13]."

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post

16>10>4

Period.
You are free to create a "This is the number of slams Novak, Rafa, and Roger have" thread, BTW
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Most of the time when a player is in the QF+ of a tournament they are in form and playing above their usual standard. The difference in the last few years is that the top 4 are making the SF most of the time regardless of how well they play.
+1
Old 01-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How bout I post the career resumes of every single player they have ever faced (and every player that THEY'VE ever faced) so we can be as thorough as possible, huh? They've all played shitty seeded opponents and they've all played in-form unseeded opponents. This isn't just exclusive to Federer. So let's just ignore that please. If anything, comparing the actual top 5 opponents would be more beneficial.

And yes, I arbitrarily drew the line at top 5. I could just as easily ask you is it better to beat 2 players ranked top 7 vs. 1 player ranked top 6 and could go on and on until we're talking about a player ranked No. 300 so let's just leave it at top 5, OK?
It doesn't make the question any less valid, does it? If you want to evaluate the overall level of opposition in each slam, you have to consider all the opponents; not just the ones who fit within the top 5. Your argument is: "well that's too much work". OK, but that's just means we don't reach any conclusions.

It doesn't mean you can decide arbitrarily, just because you're too lazy to do the actual work (i.e that outside the top 5 there was no difference in the average rank of opponent). In any case you haven't even made any arguments, based on the data you supplied. Data without interpretation is meaningless.

So Nadal faced 0.11 more top 5 players per slam than Federer. Great! Do we know how often each player towelled off during the change of ends? Maybe I should present that data in a new thread.
Singularity is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote