Fed/Rafa/Djoker: how often they've faced the top 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fed/Rafa/Djoker: how often they've faced the top 5

I was bored and was wondering how often the Big 3 had to beat a top 5 opponent whenever they won a slam. Soooo.....

Djokovic
Slam titles: 4
Top 5 opponents faced: 7
Number of top 5 opponents per title: 1.75

Nadal
Slam titles: 10
Top 5 opponents faced: 13
Number of top 5 opponents per title: 1.3
(NOTE: Nadal faced 6 top 5 opponents during his first 4 slam wins [vs. Djokovic's 7])

Federer
Slam titles: 16
Top 5 opponents he faced: 19
Number of top 5 opponents per title: 1.19
(NOTE: Federer faced 6 top 5 opponents during his first 4 slam wins [vs. Djokovic's 7 & Nadal's 6] and 12 top 5 opponents during his first 10 slam wins [vs. Nadal's 13]. Also, he didn't play a single top 5 seed in two of his slam titles: the 2007 Australian Open [10th slam] & Wimbledon 2009 [15th slam])

Hmmmm....
MIMIC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
country flag eclecticist

eclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond reputeeclecticist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed/Rafa/Djoker: how often they've faced the top 5

sure, federer had some luck with his slam wins, especially with his first wimbledon title, but considering that he won virtually every slam from 2004-2007 other than RG and 05 AO, you can't really blame fed that top 5 players lost before having the chance to face fed in the later stages.
eclecticist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

not that much really, well some times they do go against them
Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
country flag RogerFedererNo1

RogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous stats. So Federer´s US Open 2006 draw was harder than Nadal´s US Open 2010 draw.

Q 2006: Federer against world no.7 James Blake
Q 2010: Nadal against giant killer Fernando Verdasco

S 2006: Federer against world no.6 Davydenko
S 2010: Nadal against Youzhny (who won in five sets against Wawrinka in the prevoius round)

F 2006: Federer against Roddick (he used to be a slam contender)
F 2010: Nadal against Djokovic (who won in 7-5 in the 5th set two days before)

Maybe it shows only that the rest of the field gets worse so that a player like Murray can reach all slam semis in a year ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
Also, he didn't play a single top 5 seed in two of his slam titles: the 2007 Australian Open [10th slam] & Wimbledon 2009 [15th slam])[/i]
So, according to you it would have been a greater achievement if he had beaten Nadal at the Australian Open 2007 although Gonzalez was way better in that tournament. Or it would have been greater if he had beaten Murray in the Wimbledon final and Djokovic in the semi, although both of them lost a better player in the previous round.
RogerFedererNo1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFedererNo1 View Post
Ridiculous stats. So Federer´s US Open 2006 draw was harder than Nadal´s US Open 2010 draw.

S 2010: Nadal against Youzhny (who won in five sets against Wawrinka in the prevoius round)

Maybe it shows only that the rest of the field gets worse so that a player like Murray can reach all slam semis in a year ...

So, according to you it would have been a greater achievement if he had beaten Nadal at the Australian Open 2007 although Gonzalez was way better in that tournament. Or it would have been greater if he had beaten Murray in the Wimbledon final and Djokovic in the semi, although both of them lost a better player in the previous round.
Don't try to sugarcoat Olderer's slam runs Blake was a mug who never reached a slam SF and was Olderer's pigeon as much as Verdasco for Nadal. Both were top 10 players and Verdasco actually made a slam SF

Second, Davydenko is a known slam choker, shit best of 5 player and another Olderer's pigeon. Youzhny actually beat Nadal comfortably on some occasions...

Lastly you are actually comparing all serve clown like Roddick to Djokovic? lol...Maybe you need a reality check. Olderer played absolute clowns in most of his GS finals, while Nadal's wins were much more impressive.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
country flag RogerFedererNo1

RogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFedererNo1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Don't try to sugarcoat Olderer's slam runs Blake was a mug who never reached a slam SF and was Olderer's pigeon as much as Verdasco for Nadal. Both were top 10 players and Verdasco actually made a slam SF

Second, Davydenko is a known slam choker, shit best of 5 player and another Olderer's pigeon. Youzhny actually beat Nadal comfortably on some occasions...

Lastly you are actually comparing all serve clown like Roddick to Djokovic? lol...Maybe you need a reality check. Olderer played absolute clowns in most of his GS finals, while Nadal's wins were much more impressive.
All serve clown beat Nadal in 2010 and served for the match at the WTF, too. And in 2010 Djokovic did not play that impressive (losing to Melzer after a 2-0 sets lead).
RogerFedererNo1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Um, I accounted for their entire careers not just one tournament.

Quote:
Murray has a leading H2H against Federer. I know you hate him (as do I) but I can at least acknowledge that he's a very good player.

Quote:
According to ME? I didn't make any conclusions. You're way too defensive.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was bored and was wondering how often the Big 3 had to beat a top 5 opponent whenever they won a slam. Soooo.....

Djokovic

Nadal
(NOTE: Nadal faced 6 top 5 opponents during his first 4 slam wins [vs. Djokovic's 7])

Federer
(NOTE: Federer faced 6 top 5 opponents during his first 4 slam wins [vs. Djokovic's 7 & Nadal's 6] and 12 top 5 opponents during his first 10 slam wins [vs. Nadal's 13]. Also, he didn't play a single top 5 seed in two of his slam titles: the 2007 Australian Open [10th slam] & Wimbledon 2009 [15th slam])

Hmmmm....
Why top 5? It should be top 4. Those are the guys you meet in the semis and finals. If you are going to include number 5 then make it top 8.
mark73 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you were "bored"

Believe it or not the quality of an opponent on any given day isn't determined by their seeding. If Federer wasn't playing seeded players that means they lost earlier, to better players.

It's particularly amusing that you highlight AO '07 and Wimbledon '09, two tournaments in which Federer played by far the best player from the bottom half in the final.
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #10
country flag MIMIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Yes you were "bored"

Believe it or not the quality of an opponent on any given day isn't determined by their seeding. If Federer wasn't playing seeded players that means they lost earlier, to better players
So there were more one-time wonder players back then?

Quote:
It's particularly amusing that you highlight AO '07 and Wimbledon '09, two tournaments in which Federer played by far the best player from the bottom half in the final.
Well the thread IS titled how often they've faced the top 5 It's highlighted because it contradicts the thread title. I thought that was obvious.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

:retard: clearly nadal had the harder draw
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So there were more one-time wonder players back then?
In a word, yes. Even as recently as '09 we've had Soderling, Roddick and Del Potro play fantastic tennis in slam runs even though they weren't seeded top 5.

Not that I'd consider any of those three "one-time wonder players".
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Djokovic

Nadal

Federer

Hmmmm....
Congrats Mimic. I have it on good authority that these stats will mean that the tennis authorities will now proceed to Fed's house, and remove at least 6 of his GS trophies, and furthermore, all traces of his having won them will be deleted from the record books

Respectfully,
masterclass

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Richard Cook
barbadosan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

MIMIC trying to downplay Fed's (and Nadal's) GS achievements with lousy irrelevant statistics again. What else is new.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Time to start a 'how often they've lost to a complete random mug outside of the top 5 in slams' thread

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote