Robby in 2012 - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #31
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Robby in 2012

I totally jinxed him His serve betrayed him in the final.

the good news is that Robby moved upward in the rankings more than any other person in the Top 300 this week (+61 spots), and is currently the highest ranked player to play less than 10 tournaments in the last 12 months.

A challenger win could move him up another 70-80 spots, and get up around 175. He needs to keep it going!
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #32
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

He definitely needs to keep it up! But you know I wonder if Robby isn't thinking of the wrapping up of his tennis career? He waited a long time to become engaged unlike other players maybe thinking that a career of a Pro Tennis Player is not the best career for a married man to have? And I have to say I agree with that myself! I will, of course, continue to follow Robby's career until he hangs up his Pro Tour Tennis Racquet for good.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
country flag dusb2p

dusb2p is on a distinguished road

There is also another bright side: without a dominant US player right now, he can steal the light from the other colleagues easier than before on condition that his way to be up & up.
dusb2p is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

If his way is up and up? And isn't Mardy still in the Top 10?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #35

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
If his way is up and up? And isn't Mardy still in the Top 10?
Yes, Mardy is still Top 10. I'm guessing the comment is assuming that Robby climbs higher and higher up the rankings, this could become a storyline that gets him attention. Not sure I would go there, but I guess the possibility exists. Sam Querrey will also be coming back to some extent, and that will likely give him attention if he does well. Although, Robby's fallen the farthest from grace it seems out of the US players that have been ranked in the Top 20, so a true comeback would certainly be a powerful story.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 AM   #36

Nice article from Shubert where he talks about hitting with Robby and the conclusion of the Honolulu tournament. Sounds like the match ended with a controversial line call

Quote:
I didn’t ask to take a picture with Robby Ginepri today. I was in a different mindset this time and had different ideas about the whole situation as I hit with the legendary grinder this morning. It was a last minute thing this morning as I got a call requesting to see if I could hit with Robby before his final round match against Japanese #99 Go Soeda of the $50,000 Honolulu Challenger. As usual, I sprung at the opportunity and jetted over the H3 freeway through the mountains over into quiet Kailua.

When I arrived, Travis Rettenmaier and Amer Delic were warming up on a court getting ready for their doubles final and Robby was happy to see that I came and could warm him up. I was nervous and warmed up as best I could doing my shoulder band exercises and getting my legs ready. My strokes or timing aren’t clean in the wind, it’s something I need to be exposed to more (I played 4 years of college tennis basically indoors the entire time). Granted I am from Hawaii but with the balls traveling faster and deeper it’s something that takes getting used to.

Robby and I hit through the middle of the court at first, I tried to hit Soeda’s flatter and low-trajectory ball while maintaining consistency to give him a good hit. Then we switched to cross courts then some volleys where I moved him side to side, giving him some realistic balls on the run. He joked around a little bit with Travis and had a few words with me and it was a really cool experience, I felt like we were just hanging out as normal tennis dudes hitting some balls, he doesn’t have a huge ego and it was cordial. At one point during our hit, I did lose my concentration off the ball and realize, this guy hitting backhands to me right now is a guy I was watching on TV, and he’s hitting really well on top of being a really cool dude. Of course I had to block these kinds of thoughts out and just tried to follow through on my backhand! Haha

What I admire the most about Robby is his workman like attitude. When his Under Armour hat goes on his head, it is his work hat. He gets his pail his racket his hat, and he goes to work. He’s one of the most solid grinders ever in my opinion and if you remember his US Open semifinal run, how many 5 set matches did he have to go through to get there?! This whole week he was mentally fit to work through his points and not get agitated or supremely fired up. No codes, no huge come on’s, just workman-like in his approach to the game.

Rettenmaier and Delic won the doubles title over Jack Sock and Nick Monroe. It was very windy throughout and it was tough for either team to develop a solid rhythm on return games. There were some exciting volley to volley exchanges that usually ended with Delic or Rettenmaier smashing away a ball.

Unfortunately Ginepri wasn’t able to win his final match against Soeda. Soeda was able to play a bit more solidly and hit through his shots more cleanly. So I guess you can blame the warm up (I know I know) but it was amazing to see Soeda’s footwork and movement again. There were many points at 30all and ad points where Soeda just came up with the goods. Most of the match commentary for Soeda would’ve been: “That’s too good” – “He’s on fire right now” – Late in the second set: “Oh wow he finally made an unforced error”. So that was the kind of player Robby had to deal with today and while he came back from being breaks down and take the 2nd set to a tiebreak, Soeda was able to hang tough and close the match out with a controversial passing shot winner that appeared to be out by the ball mark but the line judge missed the call. Game Set Match Go (Soeda).

It was interesting being a part of Team Ginepri for the past few days and it’s something I will hold onto. I didn’t ask for a picture because maybe this is something that can continue later in the future when I go out on tour and see them again. At least that’s my personal thought or hope right now – Usually I give you guys a photo of me hitting with current or former pros. I believe I can learn alot from the Ginepri game and attitude, something that will benefit my own game. We parted ways and he called me later in the day to ask which beach would be appropriate for a chill-out session. I told him about a few of my personal favorite secluded spots and sent him, his fiance, and Travis on their way with good luck and safe travels.

Time to get back to full-time training tomorrow as I have hits lined up at UH and physical workouts at Punahou School. Aloha from the 2012 Honolulu Challenger!

Shubert
Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #37
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

So the line calls are even bad at CHs! They were awful at the A.O.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
So the line calls are even bad at CHs! They were awful at the A.O.
apparently so... but at least at the A.O. some courts had hawkeye. Yes, the lower ranked players generally have to settle for whatever call they get whether they agree with it or not.

7,000th post in the Robby forum!!! Thanks, Mae, for helping keeping the forum alive
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #39
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by idolwatcher1 View Post
apparently so... but at least at the A.O. some courts had hawkeye. Yes, the lower ranked players generally have to settle for whatever call they get whether they agree with it or not.

7,000th post in the Robby forum!!! Thanks, Mae, for helping keeping the forum alive
Your welcome

IMHO hawkeye should not be used at all unless it is available on all courts! But no one cares what I think
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #40

I know how you feel In a sport where a single point can make the difference between a loss or a win, line calls can be very important. I wish hawkeye was easy to place on every court, that way they could put them on all of them. Sometimes I wish I had it when I'm playing tennis, and I can't tell where the ball landed

I'm curious what Robby's draw in the Dallas challenger is going to look like. Some good players sprinkled are in there.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #41
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

I just checked the Dallas CHs Tournament. You are right about the players in there I wish I could have done my first T.T. Tournament there, but I didn't have time to entry there and the week I got I don't know a lot of the players I doubt if I get one win in T.T. I have so lost touch with the players even on the ATP Tour that I look at names on entry lists and think whose are these people anyway?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #42
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

I found out that at of the time I did the above post I could have made that CH for T.T., but not now
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #43
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Oh well I backed out of T.T. anyway. I hadn't even heard of more than 4 players in the Draw. And only heard of 1 of the Alts! I would have been totally lost Sometimes I have to wonder if that isn't how Robby feels out on the tennis court--totally lost
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #44

^ not sure... I can only guess, but from what I've witnessed, it seems like when Robby isn't playing well, it's either because he's not feeling well physically, or it's because he just isn't focused out there... I think he's one of those players that can be too aware of what's going on around him, and he let's too many different things distract him at the same time. Once he starts doing that in a match, it's really hard for him to knock it off, because he only adds more for himself to think about as he loses momentum, etc. As cliche as it sounds, of all people, Robby really just needs to focus on one point at a time, and make sure he's doing all he can to put himself in good position to win each point, and if he loses a point, to think only about being in the next point. When he does that, that is when he is most successful.

Robby plays Rhyne Williams in the first round at Dallas.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #45

Robby wins his first round match. His serve seemed to improve slightly in the 3rd set, but overall, his serve isn't rising to the occassion like it needs to for him to play more dominantly on indoor hard courts... Next up for him today is Carsten Ball, who had an impressive 11 aces in straight sets in his last match against the top seed. It's going to be tough for Robby to win, unless he's serving really well and on top of his game. Good luck to him, but this could go either way...