USTA: Bogomolov Must Repay Us, Exploring Options - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USTA: Bogomolov Must Repay Us, Exploring Options

If the USTA has no problem welcoming defecting players they should not complain if the traffic flows in the other direction!

I can understand why they'd be pissed if they funded and played him @ DC ties THEN HE DEFECTED but at 28, he's never played at senior level in the Davis Cup....Courier has gone on the record to say: "He hasn't factored into my thoughts for what our team is and will be ...I don't really see a scenario where he would be playing for the United States."

They're affectively saying we don't want to use you but we paid for the right that no one can either!

Last edited by tennis2tennis : 12-26-2011 at 12:05 PM.
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackerman View Post
The USTA is acting like they're directly responsible for his success. He hasn't received any help from the USTA either with coaching, finances or wild cards since the beginning of 2006. As recently as July 2010, the guy was $40,000 IN DEBT. Now they're going after him? Guess the USTA has to pay for that roof on Arthur Ashe somehow, even though it's the worst kept secret in tennis that they just sit on millions upon millions of dollars

Also, we're talking about a six-figure lawsuit here considering that he did get free USTA coaching for several years and a couple of main draw wild cards into the US Open. It's disgusting that they're trying to clean this guy out over taking an opportunity (Davis Cup/Olympics) that they were never going to give him in the first place.
Is it true ? do you have source of that info ?
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #33
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

With this story though, how likely would it be that say I dunno, Ryan Harrison were to change countries now? (assuming he could).

The US has recently lost Carsten Ball, Amer Delic and now Alex Bogolomov. Something has to be done to keep players in the US that are currently representing the US.

Imagine if players were leaving Moldova and Serbia to become US players, the outrage would be huge.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #34
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

The US will never lose young promise talent(like Harrisson).
Old 12-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #35
country flag mackerman

mackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond reputemackerman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Is it true ? do you have source of that info ?
http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...omolov-jr-game

Shortly after his son, Maddox, now 20 months old, was born, Bogomolov Jr. needed to pay off his American Express bill of about $40,000. Despite the hefty debt, he decided to hire a coach, Yoav Schab.

"You don't really make enough money for a family, to pay rent and cover expenses, on the Challenger circuit, so we just kept on swiping the AmEx," Bogomolov Jr. said. "We had some cash set aside for tennis, and so we took a big step and big risk and I hired Schabby. It was a very tough decision for Luana and I. Imagine, we have a kid, and now I'm telling Luana I need a coach."

It worked out. Bogomolov Jr. pocketed, yes, $40,000 at the Kennedy Funding Invitational Tennis Tournament in New York in July 2010 by downing fellow U.S. veteran Michael Russell, escaping from a 4-1 deficit in the third set of the final. The bill was history and Bogomolov Jr.'s ascent could truly begin.

"The fact that he was able to win that exact amount -- everything seemed to fall in place," said Goncalves, who has gone from knowing little about tennis to becoming an aficionado. "It was really emotional. To see my family and his family and friends all being there to watch that, it was a great start for the team."
mackerman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #36
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
With this story though, how likely would it be that say I dunno, Ryan Harrison were to change countries now? (assuming he could).

The US has recently lost Carsten Ball, Amer Delic and now Alex Bogolomov. Something has to be done to keep players in the US that are currently representing the US.

Imagine if players were leaving Moldova and Serbia to become US players, the outrage would be huge.
What needs to be done is the USTA needs to remove their heads from their asses. They've been the laughingstock of the tennis world for years now.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #37
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, who cares if the USA loses a bunch of players, they already have enough good players.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #38
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute

This would really really be unfair to Bogomolov who had a miracle year this year. Give the guy a break he deserves it.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #39
country flag Al_Loves_Tennis

Al_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond reputeAl_Loves_Tennis has a reputation beyond repute

When a national governing body decides to fund a player, is it written somewhere (in a contract, maybe) that they are to repay the governing body when they start earning enough money on their own? If not, then the money given to Bogomolov was NOT a loan, but rather a privilege that was extended to him for being a potentially elite player. If it was seen as an investment, then maybe they can call for a repayment, but without a legally binding written contract, Bogomolov is free to do as he pleases.
Al_Loves_Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #40
country flag guichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Loves_Tennis View Post
When a national governing body decides to fund a player, is it written somewhere (in a contract, maybe) that they are to repay the governing body when they start earning enough money on their own? If not, then the money given to Bogomolov was NOT a loan, but rather a privilege that was extended to him for being a potentially elite player. If it was seen as an investment, then maybe they can call for a repayment, but without a legally binding written contract, Bogomolov is free to do as he pleases.
"I certainly believe… I have no issue with Alex personally. From the USTA standpoint, he was born in Russia, he has family there, he should repay the USTA. He's actually signed something saying that and we'll see what happens."

I followed up asking if the USTA is continuing to explore options and McEnroe said, "that is correct." http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/ne...g=ycn-10742013
Old 12-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #41
country flag clandis

clandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous. He owes the USTA nothing.
clandis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #42
country flag guichard

The USTA has billed the Russian Tennis Federation $75,000 for poaching Alex Bogomolov Jr.
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/stor...fection-122811
Old 12-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #43
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

That's ridiculous, Russia should fight it. Players have switched to US plenty

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #44
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on the contract Bogomolov signed with the USTA. It would be grossly unfair, of course. It makes the USTA look really petty, as if it didn't have enough image problems already.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #45
country flag guichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I guess it all depends on the contract Bogomolov signed with the USTA. It would be grossly unfair, of course. It makes the USTA look really petty, as if it didn't have enough image problems already.
Yeah but if he signed it when he was broke and it was the only way he can get some funding to continue...