Djokovic and defending titles... - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #46
country flag Smiling Buddha

Smiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond reputeSmiling Buddha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic and defending titles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Del Potro was flash in the pan .......and really what's with all the Indian people rooting for Rafa?
The Indian population must be grossly overestimated as Nadal got third place in this year's fan's favorite voting.
Smiling Buddha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #47
country flag Bobby

Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter how many titles he defends. It's a whole new year. If he's able to win a GS or two, a few big titles and keep his no1 position, it's an excellent year. I don't think he even aims for defending all his titles.

Singles Rank: 202
2007: QF Forest Hills CH, Turin CH, Scheveningen CH

Doubles Rank: 189
2007: W Turin CH (w/Dougie), F Scheveningen CH (w/Dougie)
Bobby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #48
country flag rutinos harcos

rutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond repute

This.
rutinos harcos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #49
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
I think he will have an even better year in 2012 and not only he will defend all his titles, but he will also win RG beating Federer in semis and Nadal in the final. Watch it, I'm hardly ever wrong with these things. The absolute domination of Novak 2.0 has just started. I kind of pity the other players and their fans.
Nobody could accuse you of lacking expectations from Djokovic. Can his shoulder and back really meet those expectations.

So you have upgraded from 4-5:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/poll...ts&pollid=9866

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 21 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 6 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 19 Master Series.

Last edited by DrJules : 12-26-2011 at 06:51 PM.
DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #50
country flag munZe konZa

munZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
This is more than a little ridiculous - so Novak at 25 will win over 10 titles including a calendar year slam (that's the implication if he defends all 3 slams and also wins RG!)?! Novak played an incredible level from Aus Open to about Rome/RG. After that despite winning 2 more slams his level was not unreachable at all and players like Fed, Murray, Del Potro, Tsonga and yes, even Rafa, will not be just handing over those trophies next year.

The domination of Novak 2.0 ended at RG - he didn't "dominate" Wimbledon (losing sets to Baghdatis & Tomic), he didn't "dominate" the US Open (in fact funnily enough Nadal's 2010 win was more dominant than Novak's 2011 despite Novak clearly being a better HC player! Tipsy & Dolgopolov were more of a handful than any of Nadal's opponents till the final in 2010....) and the less said about his season post-US Open the better. Dominating is winning a slam like Fed did Aus Open 07 or Rafa the French in 08 - that is very tough to do and even Novak with his 2.0 level will not steamroll every opponent in sight forever. Fed in 04-07 looked quite untouchable by most players - Novak apart from that early hardcourt stretch last year did not reach that level IMO - consistency, which was his best asset, is not something you can rely on to be there for years on end. Fed's forehand was a weapon that was simply unplayable at his best - Novak's backhand as good as it is cannot be compared in the same way.

On the topic itself - I think he has a great chance to still stay year end no.1 and defend 1-2 slams, and 2-3 masters (either IW or Miami - unlikely to be both; one of the clay masters and possibly Rogers Cup). He'll obviously defend Belgrade and probably Dubai too.
Both Fed and Rafa took advantage of the fact that many if not all contenders were retiring/near retirement and/or injured so it was free for all and the most opportunistic could take over. Those were the lean years. For Nole he will have to do it the hard way and beat in prime and very capable opposition into submission. None of these players are too old , too injured or on the verge of giving up so he has his work cut out for him.
munZe konZa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #51
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
Both Fed and Rafa took advantage of the fact that many if not all contenders were retiring/near retirement and/or injured so it was free for all and the most opportunistic could take over. Those were the lean years. For Nole he will have to do it the hard way and beat in prime and very capable opposition into submission. None of these players are too old , too injured or on the verge of giving up so he has his work cut out for him.
Umm... pretty sure Nole was one of Fed and Rafa's competitors these past 4 years or so?! Was he weak competition for them? Murray's been a factor since 08 (when Rafa became a more consistent threat on all surfaces), Del Po rose in 09, Tsonga was taking scalps in 08 - what competition is around now that Rafa and Fed weren't facing?

Rafa beat Murray and Djokovic en route to 2 of his 3 majors last year and he beat the only guy to ever beat him at the French (and the one who took out Federer) in the other one. Similarly Fed in 09 was given a tough test by Del Potro at the French and then lost to him at the US Open. The same players: Soderling; Del Potro; Murray etc. will be the main competition to Novak as were competition to Federer/Rafa respectively. It's no tougher for Novak than it was for Fed and Rafa to stay in the top 2 the last 4-5 years. If anything you could make an argument Novak has risen when Fed and Rafa are declining (relative to their peaks of 06 and 08) so he's in luck as 2 of the best players ever are now less threatening then they were a few years ago...

On this topic as people have said - he'll defend some; he'll win some he didn't win this year - all that really matters is getting enough points to end no.1 which he's still the favourite for as he's the current best on HC where there are most points and joint/2nd best on clay as of now.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #52
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

... he sucks at doing that.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #53
country flag rutinos harcos

rutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle joanna View Post
... he sucks at doing that.
We'll see little joanna,we'll see.
rutinos harcos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #54
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutinos harcos View Post
We'll see little joanna,we'll see.
I like this guy
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #55
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
Nobody could accuse you of lacking expectations from Djokovic. Can his shoulder and back really meet those expectations.

So you have upgraded from 4-5:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/poll...ts&pollid=9866
Yes, after I heard him say at his press conference in Dubai that he will go for the Career Slam this next season. I trust everything my man says. If he thinks he can do it, I believe him.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #56
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care if he doesn't defend any of his titles, but wins Monte Carlo, Roland Garros, Olympic Gold, Cincy and Shanghai!

Last edited by Yolita : 12-27-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Yolita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #57
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I don't care if he doesn't defend any of his titles, but wins Monte Carlo, Roland Garros, Olympic Gold, Cincy and Shanghai!
and then retires with the words "I did it all my way"
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #58
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
if he really does that
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #59
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
I think he will have an even better year in 2012 and not only he will defend all his titles, but he will also win RG beating Federer in semis and Nadal in the final. Watch it, I'm hardly ever wrong with these things. The absolute domination of Novak 2.0 has just started. I kind of pity the other players and their fans.
I would bet a thousand dollars against him winning a Calendar Year Slam next year. it just won't happen. unfortunately there are no oddsmakers doing that bet because it is so unrealistic.

I mean I understand supporting your favorite player and having faith in them, but such an outlandish guess? not even a guess, apparently basically a fact** to you. maybe if his form had been good at the end of 2011 but Novak himself seemed confused as to what was with his form at the World Tour finals!

you may be in for a big surprise my friend, because at the end of 2011 either injury, fatigue, or an overall mental lapse seemed to plague your man

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #60
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
I would bet a thousand dollars against him winning a Calendar Year Slam next year. it just won't happen. unfortunately there are no oddsmakers doing that bet because it is so unrealistic.

I mean I understand supporting your favorite player and having faith in them, but such an outlandish guess? not even a guess, apparently basically a fact** to you. maybe if his form had been good at the end of 2011 but Novak himself seemed confused as to what was with his form at the World Tour finals!

you may be in for a big surprise my friend, because at the end of 2011 either injury, fatigue, or an overall mental lapse seemed to plague your man
Blah bah blah... you've ben saying the same thing since January last year! And you have been wrong all the time. I have been enjoying watching all your predictions being shattered. Gotta take my popcorn for 2012 too?

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote