Federer 2008 or Nadal 2011? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Better season?

Federer's 2008 37 51.39%
Nadal's 2011 32 44.44%
Both are equal 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #46
country flag Egreen

Egreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer 2008 or Nadal 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
good thread.

both years are marked as ones when a top player got derailed. slight difference, in favor of nadal, is that in 08 it was top players top tournament that he was dumped out of (wimbledon). in my mind, because nadal kept the french open title, this season isnt as bad as 08 was for fed.
Federer defended his USO title by avoiding Nadal just like Nadal defended his FO title by avoiding Djokovic.

The fact that Federer was very close to defending Wimbledon in 2008 makes his year better. He almost won a second slam in 2008. Darkness was not his best friend....

Nadal was not close to winning a second slam this year, he only won a set in the Wimbledon and USO finals.
Egreen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #47
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah Nadal wasn't bad in this year just someone played much better. But Federer and that season wasn't too different I guess.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #48
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egreen View Post
Federer defended his USO title by avoiding Nadal just like Nadal defended his FO title by avoiding Djokovic.

The fact that Federer was very close to defending Wimbledon in 2008 makes his year better. He almost won a second slam in 2008. Darkness was not his best friend....

Nadal was not close to winning a second slam this year, he only won a set in the Wimbledon and USO finals.
darkness was not his best friend?

spare me.

fed lost wimbledon in epic fashion. his main rival took it away from him.

this year, nadal kept what he always had as his own turf.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #49
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
darkness was not his best friend?

spare me.

fed lost wimbledon in epic fashion. his main rival took it away from him.

this year, nadal kept what he always had as his own turf.
And is it Federer's fault that he had two different "turfs" for himself at both Wimbledon and the USOpen as opposed to Nadal who has dominated the one in Paris?
I always believed and still believe that Federer is a better Hard court player than Grass courter. Federer defended his own turf in 2008, he won the USopen beating Djokovic and Murray and lost his "other" turf at Wimbledon 7-9 in the fifth. Nadal got his ass handed to him by Djokovic in a four setter in which not even one set went to even twelve games. Go figure.

I do think Nadal's 2011 will pip Federer 2008, though it doesnt matter much - neither player will really want to remember this year. But to say Nadal kept his turf is not the reason. Federer did too. But Nadal was more consistent throughout the year and didnt lose to many mugs before the USO like Federer did in 2008.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #50
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
When did Fed have mono?
fed's mono is one of the most exploited ever
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #51
country flag Haelfix

Haelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal 2011 by a country mile. Federer had a terrible 2008 season, that was derailed by mono/lack of practise all the way into the early hardcourt season, and then he had a bad back that derailed the post USO romp. He did have 2 incredible throwback matches in the USO semis and finals that year (despite playing very mediocre tennis up till that point), but by and large he was very much a shell of himself. It wasn't until the claycourt season in 2009 that he started to play better again.

Rafa meanwhile has played under his level during 2011, but then its mostly about one player who has his number. Fed in 2008 was losing to people he routinely beat (Roddick, Blake, Karlo etc).

From a tennis standpoint, Rafa's overall level of tennis is superior in 2011.
Haelfix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #52
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond repute

Roger's 2008.