What do you think? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
country flag GoGoKei

GoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you think?

Hello, everyone. Today I would like to talk about the difficulty of the sport tennis. I often think tennis requires a good balance of skills, athleticism, metal strength and intelligence. Even one of the components is missing, you can't be a complete player. Moreover, there are many different kind skills you need to master such as forehand strokes, backhand strokes, volleys and serves. Each of these skills takes at least a month or so to acquire. Unlike sports like soccer and basketball which almost every one can play at a decent level in PE class, only a few people with years of experience playing the sport can play at a competitive level. I have never met anyone who can hit any shot in tennis when he or she plays the sport for the first time. Unless you are super talented or something, it takes you at least a year to get to the level where you can play competitively. Of course, the time you need to get to the level varies depending on how often a week and how long a day you practice and talent does play a big part in determining the time you need; some people need less time to master certain skills than others. However, no matter how talented you are for tennis, you still need a lot of time to master the skills required in the sport. Let's say if you practice five days a week, two hours a day, you may still need a year or longer to be able to play without looking like a beginner. What other sport requires as much time and effort to master as tennis? What other sports requires as many kinds of skills as tennis? I can't think of any. This show the difficulty of tennis. Sadly, it seems this sport is not being fully appreciated by the general public. Only who are playing or have played the sport seriously to win can understand how difficult and deep the sport is. Most people who play tennis in Japan play the sport just for fun not to win. In fact, tennis is one of the most popular sports with people who are college students or older. They pick up the sport late in their life and mostly play the sport for the purpose of having fun and making friends. As a result, they never understand the sport fully. Well, of course the same thing can be said about any other sport. Only those who are playing or have played the sport know what the sport is really is. Those who are playing the sport for fun only know the fun aspects not the competitive elements such as pressure and athleticism as they don't need such knowledge. Another thing that shows tennis is difficult to acquire is that you need to start playing it at an early age. The earlier or younger you start, the more quickly you're likely to improve. Tennis is such a skill-based sport and requires a good hand and eye coordination, which are said to develop most during the ages between 5 and 8. After the golden period, you quickly start losing the ability. That's what makes the difference between so-called "junior" players and non-juniors. That's why you can often recognize that some players are playing more naturally and freely than others. Even those who started before and after 8 seem to play differently. Those who started before and during the golden period tend to show more natural shot making abilities than those who started after the period. It doesn't necessarily mean they are better and stronger tennis players, but they tend to play more naturally with much less thinking. In many other sports such as American football, you can start quite late in your life and still can be a good player, right? In marathon, you can start in high school and run in the Olympics. Since what's required differs from sport to sport, you can start some sports relatively late and can still be quite successful while you must start some sports early to be successful. Tennis is one of the most typical sports that belongs to the latter group.
Don't take me wrong here, though. I know most of you started playing tennis long after the "critical" period, but it doesn't mean you can't be good tennis players. It is true that you are more or less disadvantaged compared to those who started early, but sheer talent doesn't decide everything. Talent does play a part, but there are many things you can do to make up for lack of it. Most importantly, you can make as much effort as you can. Even if you re slow learner, if you have the patience and heart to put as many hours into practice as you can, you can overtake much more talented ones. Another thing is to use your head. Intelligence is such an important aspect in tennis. If you are smart, when you're faced with some difficulty problem, you try many different ways and approaches to overcome it. If one thing doesn't way, you try another. You continue trial and errors and eventually you will find a way to solve the problem. Just hitting many balls in practice mindlessly for hours doesn't get you anywhere. Hitting each ball in practice with purpose, you will improve much faster. In addition, you can also use your intelligence during a match to come up with the best strategy to beat a more skillful or physically gifted opponent. Your mental strength is also an important part of the game. If you can control yourself well on the court, you can play big points well. How you play big points in a mach really affects the outcome of the match. It also has nothing to do with how early you start the sport. As you can see here, there are many things you can do to make up for the fact that you started the sport late. So there's no reason you have to be discouraged for it. I'm not foolish enough to rule out the importance of how early you start, but it's no use regretting about something you can change. You should rather look forward and think about what you can do from now on to improve your game.
Today, I wanted to share my thoughts on how complicated and deep tennis. As someone who loves the sport, I want to know more about it. I'd appreciate your feedback on my opinion. Thanks for reading.
GoGoKei is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
country flag ViennaCalling
Team Thiem

ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think?

Wrong forum.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsManana View Post
Balls of steel, this Dominic of Lichtenworth.
ViennaCalling is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
country flag GoGoKei

GoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond reputeGoGoKei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaCalling View Post
Thanks for reminding me. I wasn't where there was a forum for it. However, I don't know how to move this thread to another place. I really want to know what other things of my writing and what they think of the sport tennis in comparison with other sports. If I can't move this over there, I'll let it stay here and keep bumping it back up here until I get some feedback on this. How does it sound?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:36 AM   #4
country flag GoGoKei

To the admin, please move this thread to the appropriate forum. I'm too old to figure it out myself. I'm damn serious about it. I don't want this to sin as if it were nothing. So please help me out here.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
country flag GoGoKei

Can anybody hear me?
Old 01-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
country flag Tight Lines

Tight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond reputeTight Lines has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is too long for anyone to read, especially in one single paragraph

I skimmed through it. I think I agree with everything you said, except the golden period. I don't think you necessarily have to start at that age to be successful as a pro.

Harry