Kim Jong-Il is dead - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #166
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kim Jong-Il is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post

I remember watching a documentary about Cuba, and some young girl told the American camera man, that she could careless about $70 high quality Nike shoes, as long as Cuba meets her basic needs, in which she felt the Cuban govt. did meet those needs. There was also countless highly talented Cuban baseball players who refused to leave Cuba out of national pride even though they could have signed million dollar contracts with the MLB. The thing is buddyholly, not everyone around the world, is obsessed with the best shoes, the best cars, the best food, the best phones, the best income, the best weather, the best everything! If these people support their leaders/govt., that's their problem, not yours.

But when you try to impose your ethnocentric racist view of what is "right" and what is "wrong", that's just stupid. Because every country around the world is ran differently, and if the people want to change it, believe me, they will change it (that is what revolutions, reforms, etc are for). But if they want to keep things the way they are, they will keep it. This is common sense.
"Ethnocentric racist?'' Nice phrasing. If you really believe that people will just change things to suit themselves in a country like Cuba, then common sense is something you lack. You have no idea.
Cubans don't necessarily want the best of everything. Most of them would just like any kind of phone, car or income. The weather, at least, Castro has graciously permitted. But show me a young Cuban that truthfully says he/she doesn't want a pair of Nikes from relatives in Miami. I don't think so. In fact, I don't think you have any idea what Cubans really want.
You probably would deny that that young girl was just parroting what she has been taught since birth. The wish for something beyond basic existence has already been drummed into her brain in school as a ''non-patriotic'' wish.

I get pissed when people like you would make statements like ''Oh the Cubans are so lucky that they don't have those awful McDonalds on every corner." My experience in Cuba is that Cubans dream of the forbidden luxury of being able to sample a Big Mac. That is hardly an obsession with the best.
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #167
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
abraxas will go to any length to justify his dislike of the West. Even to the ridiculous point of asserting that the N. Koreans are the free society whereas the South Koreans are just the ''occupied'' dupes of the US. This thread has confirmed my conclusion reached after years of study of Cuban Castrospeak. That is: someone who knows he is truly a clown has only one recourse - to call everyone else a clown.
And you'll go to the opposite lengths to justify your love of the US and its beliefs.

Though in this case, the North Koreans are obviously in limbo and I hope some negotiations are made with this ugly mug of a new president.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #168
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
And you'll go to the opposite lengths to justify your love of the US and its beliefs.
I was defending the West against abraxas' rantings. He hates you too, you know.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #169
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was defending the West against abraxas' rantings. He hates you too, you know.
i don't hate anyone, mate, and rocketassist is a solid poster for the most part.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #170
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
next up: assad, chavez, castro
Chavez isn't a despot.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #171
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
show me a young Cuban that truthfully says he/she doesn't want a pair of Nikes from relatives in Miami. I don't think so.
the hilarity of the situation is that you don't even realize how ridiculous you sound
Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #172
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
Maybe this Cuban is not a spoiled arsehole such as yourself. Ever thought about that
No that particular Cuban was not spoiled, he was impoverished.

I arrived in Canada with $400 and went straight to work in the far north. I have never owed a cent to anyone and have earned everything I now have.
Please enlighten me and tell me who spoiled me? Or did I spoil myself, maybe?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #173
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Actually, I've heard a couple of times before, and even read yesterday in some article (CNN maybe? can't find it now) that South is horrified about possible costs of the unification. From the example of West and East Germany, where huge money was spent and the result not exactly what they expected. In case of North Korea it would've been even worse, since they need more help.

Of course, once it clicks it would make one bad-ass country, but it would need a lot of time and a lot of cash, who knows
Indeed, lot of lessons can be learned from German reunification.

This is all assuming the North eventually opens up but best would be to keep independence for at least 10 years while the economy catches up. Maintain low Eastern European style taxes and encourage foreign investment from China, Japan, US and EU. Once GDP per capita reaches 50% of the south, adopt a single currency and fiscal policy then remove the border.

Unfortunately, theory can never be applied to reality. Emotion always plays a major role, Korean families will reunite and the South will want to flood the North with cash. Messy but that's how it usually works out.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #174
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Unfortunately, theory can never be applied to reality. Emotion always plays a major role, Korean families will reunite and the South will want to flood the North with cash. Messy but that's how it usually works out.
yeah, it must be truly unfortunable how human compassion gets in the way of money sometimes...

libertarians
Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #175
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Chavez isn't a despot.
Crackpot. Pol Pot wannabe.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #176
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
the hilarity of the situation is that you don't even realize how ridiculous you sound
Yes, no doubt Cubans across the island are rolling on the floor at the very idea that they might like to have a pair of imperialist Nikes. Oh, wait.......... nobody in Cuba will read this. I mean, are you really saying that it is ridiculous of me to say that Cubans would love to own a pair of Nikes? Or are you going to come back and say you never said that? And then claim that what you actually said is that I made a ridiculous statement that yes, they would.

So which is it? It is ridiculous to think Cubans would like to have Nikes? Or just ridiculous to say so?

To your ears, I hope I always sound ridiculous.

Last edited by buddyholly : 12-23-2011 at 06:08 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #177
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Yes, no doubt Cubans across the island are rolling on the floor at the very idea that they might like to have a pair of imperialist Nikes. Oh, wait.......... nobody in Cuba will read this. I mean, are you really saying that it is ridiculous of me to say that Cubans would love to own a pair of Nikes? Or are you going to come back and say you never said that? And then claim that what you actually said is that I made a ridiculous statement that yes, they would.
Quote:
New Air Jordans Cause Nationwide Shopping Frenzy

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: December 23, 2011 at 8:43 PM ET

SEATTLE (AP) — Scuffles broke out and police were brought in to quell unrest that nearly turned into riots across the nation Friday following the release of Nike's new Air Jordan basketball shoes — a retro model of one of the most popular Air Jordans ever made.

The mayhem stretched from Washington state to Georgia and was reminiscent of the violence that broke out 20 years ago in many cities as the shoes became popular targets for thieves. It also had a decidedly Black Friday feel as huge crowds of shoppers overwhelmed stores for a must-have item.

In suburban Seattle, police used pepper spray on about 20 customers who started fighting at the Westfield Southcenter mall. The crowd started gathering at four stores in the mall around midnight and had grown to more than 1,000 people by 4 a.m., when the stores opened, Tukwila Officer Mike Murphy said. He said it started as fighting and pushing among people in line and escalated over the next hour.

Murphy said no injuries were reported, although some people suffered cuts or scrapes from fights. Shoppers also broke two doors, and 18-year-old man was arrested for assault after authorities say he punched an officer.

"He did not get his shoes; he went to jail," Murphy said.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...?_r=2&ref=news
imperialist nikes
Old 12-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #178
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
why is that?

im not an apologist for kim's dictatorship but i do try to understand the history behind it, as uncomfortable as that might be for most westerners. in that sense, who knows, maybe if the USA hadn't bombed Korea to the stone age, right now we wouldnt be scratching our heads thinking such an opressive man like kim could have ruled a country for so long.

but of course, no-one wants to take any degree of responsibility. esp. not the yanks
I'm not a Westerner despite my country's desperation to be one of "them", so I sympathise with your general anti-West stance to some extent. You may even be right in that the US might have contributed to N Korea's current situation. However, history can only tell us so much; it can only absolve a dictator of that much liability. The choices that Kim made were his alone. Us ex-colonies can blame the colonists all we want, but the truth is that after the foreigners fucked off from Southeast Asia or wherever, it's up to the local population to build their own countries. My country prospered so hurray for me. Kim fucked up his. The chain of causation has to stop somewhere.

(PS. What's so great about Nike? )
Old 12-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #179
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
imperialist nikes
Looked like Havana when the government store had a container of frozen chicken parts arrive from Canada.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #180
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, this has gone long enough conversations will be moved to the religion thread.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote