Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the Austra

Yes – bigotry is simply unacceptable 37 41.57%
No – Court has the freedom of expression 52 58.43%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #121
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
that's were we split...it says we endorse what she says and your feelings are irrelevant
Indifference is not endorsement & it's borderline totalitarian to insist otherwise. There is more to life than politics.
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #122
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Indifference is not endorsement & it's borderline totalitarian to insist otherwise. There is more to life than politics.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing

indifference is endorsement because it allows biogtry to go unpunished!
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #123
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing

indifference is endorsement because it allows biogtry to go unpunished!
Being against gay marriage isn't "evil" & nor must it be punished.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #124
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

While it´s true that the court was named after Margarert Court because of her accomplishments ( not opinions), it is not supposed to honor the GS-titles she won, but to honor the person who accomplished all those titles. And that person happens to be someone with horrible, discriminatory, stupid and ignorant opininons. Does she have a right to have those opinions? Of course. But Tennis Australia has an equal right ( in fact, a responsibility) to distance themselves from that person and those comments, and say "these are not our values, this is not what we stand for, and these opinions have no place in tennis". Yes, the court should definitely be renamed. There must be better role models and ambassadors of the game in Australia.

There is a thing called "silent approval", and if Australian Tennis Federation doesn´t take a stand here, they are not only continuing to respect someone like Court, they are also disrespecting every gay player and fan attending the AO.

Originally I didn´t think the whole issue was that significant, but after reading this thread, I realise that opinions like Court´s are still worryingly common. And these kind of opinions should not be defended, or even silently approved. In fact, every chance should be taken to make the world get rid of this kind of nonsense. And Australian Tennis Federation has that kind of chance right now. I hope they do the right thing.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #125
country flag Sophocles

This is like trying to argue with a religious sect. Can we please move this to Off Topic?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #126

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Being against gay marriage isn't "evil" & nor must it be punished.
what she said goes beyond the realms of politics and into 'civil rights'...it doesn't matter whether you believe homosexuality is natural or not - saying people should not be allowed the same rights she enjoys is evil -
Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #127
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Naming an arena after a player is a big honour. It doesn't only reflect the player's achievements as a sportsperson, trophies reflect those achievements.

When you honour somebody, you're making a statement that the person honoured represents the values and ideals of the body doing the honouring.

I don't think this is about being politically correct, it's about making a statement about what modern tennis' values are. In that sense, I think Margaret Court's comments should be an embarrasment for Tennis Australia. But maybe those statements accurately represent Tennis Australia's views, and that's one of the many reasons why she was chosen for that honour.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #128
country flag Sophocles

Quote:
what she said goes beyond the realms of politics and into 'civil rights'...it doesn't matter whether you believe homosexuality is natural or not - saying people should not be allowed the same rights she enjoys is evil -
No, no, no & NO. What are "civil rights" other than a political concept? Whatever else it may be, it simplly is not evil to argue that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to marry.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #129
country flag Sophocles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
When you honour somebody, you're making a statement that the person honoured represents the values and ideals of the body doing the honouring.
Yes, but those values & ideals may have nothing to do with the highly niche concerns of a particular vocal minority.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #130
Kip

Kip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She's free to have personal beliefs but so are the Australian Open organisers - when it comes to the reputation of the game -

You ask so what if she was a neo-nazi - exactly what kind of a message would TA be sending if they allowed all the Jewish/Muslim/non-white players to play in a stadium names after someone who thinks they're inferior beings!
Did anyone say they were not? The Australian Open can choose to respond or not, in whatever manner they deem fit.

I simply hold the belief that Margaret Court like Rod Laver received the honor based on athletic achievement. Otherwise, neither would have the honor and you wouldn't care what they believed in their personal life.
Kip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Did anyone say they were not? The Australian Open can choose to respond or not, in whatever manner they deem fit.

I simply hold the belief that Margaret Court like Rod Laver received the honor based on athletic achievement. Otherwise, neither would have the honor and you wouldn't care what they believed in their personal life.
Why are players tested and punished for use of recreational drugs?

Techinically they're not cheating, its their personal lives! Because what you do outside of a tennis court can bring the sport into disrepute! People don't just say Maragret Court is a homphobe or a racist ...etc they say Maragret Court the Australian tennis player is a homphobe or a racist

Last edited by tennis2tennis : 12-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #132
country flag PiggyGotRoasted

PiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
I fail to understand what's your point, then...
My first comment was sarcastic
PiggyGotRoasted is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #133
country flag Sophocles

Quote:
Why are players tested and punished for use of recreational drugs?
God knows. They shouldn't be: it's an infringement of liberty & privacy.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #134
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
God knows. They shouldn't be: it's an infringement of liberty & privacy.
So saying "Martina Navrátilová and other lesbian and bisexual players are ruining the sport of tennis and setting a bad example for younger players" is quite okay, but then getting tested for illegal drugs is "an infringment of liberty and privacy"??
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #135
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
What if she was?

You have to ask the Australian Open if they named the court in honor of Court's tennis achievements or because of her personal beliefs?

I think we all know the answer.
Her name will stay.
of course maggie got her name stamped in the arena because of her tennis achievements but that doesn't mean that if her vocal personal beliefs (whatever they were) had been controversially enough at the time, the tennis federation of oz would have still decided to name the arena after her.

at the grand scheme of things tennis is only a sport and there will always be more important things for the people of a any nation. i can assure you that if maggie had showed critical opinions about sensible topics like being pro-terrorism, anti-australia or whatever, she would have been forgotten and most likely she would have even been banned from playing in tennis.

so, in response to your "what if she was" a neonazi, i think it's pretty fair to say that it does matter a hell of a lot.