Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the Austra

Yes – bigotry is simply unacceptable 37 41.57%
No – Court has the freedom of expression 52 58.43%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #91
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Tennis courts shouldn't be called "courts" anymore. Does Wimbledon know about this? Center Court is screwed.

Basketball courts also need a new name.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #92
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verd View Post
MTF never fails to disappoint.

All you apologists who are and whining that this is just Court's "private opinion" and that she is free to express her beliefs are missing the mark.

No sh-t, under a free society she is free to express her beliefs, and guess what: under a free society the public is equally free to censure her for that speech. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from scorn for that speech, or freedom from consequences of that speech. If I was in school and I called a female teacher a b-tch or a black schoolmate the n-word or my gay teacher a f-g, do I get to cry "freedom of speech!" just so I can get out of being put in detention for three days after hatefully insulting someone for their nature? Pretty hilarious stuff to see all the so-called liberty-minded in this thread acting like renaming MCA would somehow be equivalent to putting a gag order on Margaret Court herself.

As for the "private opinion," argument, do any of you honestly think Court's "private opinion" on an equal rights issue would have made the news had she not been speaking in her capacity as a public figure as a minister and former tennis great? Let me remind people that she is not just addressing the public policy issue of same-sex marriage but was speaking about the very nature of gay people themselves, going so far as to say a crappy, dysfunctional heterosexual relationship is far better to raise a child in than a loving, caring, but "unnatural" same-sex home. And for those of you who clearly don't follow this type of news, let me remind you that this is not the first time Court has made anti-gay remarks, nor has she shied away from involving the tennis world in her anti-gay remarks (for those of you who think her views have nothing to do with the sport), famously remarking that lesbians ruined women's tennis... which is not only a hateful statement, but an extremely one, considering the WTA would not exist were it not for the efforts of one lesbian in particular, and the respected status Navratilova currently holds among anyone who follows sports.

For all we know Laver or Rosewall might feel the same way as Court, but you don't see them yapping to the press about how LGBT people are malformed and incomplete and have ruined tennis and don't deserve the same rights as everyone else because even the sh-ttiest hetero couple would make better parents than two well-adjusted men or women. Even if they held the same private opinion, the fact that neither of them have voiced those opinions in their capacity as public figures means that they have brought less harm on their sport. If you seriously think public comments like Court's aren't bad for the future of the sport and recruiting young people into the game when increasingly younger generations show an increasingly higher acceptance of LGBT people and when many young gay men are attracted to the sport for the absence of teammates who police each other's machismo and the relative unimportance of tiresome macho peacocking compared to other sports, then I have a bridge in the Gobi Desert to sell you.

The idea that what Court said is just a private opinion that should just be ignored is . Activists in various countries are trying as hard as they can to stop suicides among LGBT youths, and it has been documented that the kind of hate speech spewed by public figures like Court in the name of her deity is one of the root causes of the self-hate and despair these young people feel. To argue that renaming MCA to censure one of the sports' most prominent Aus. legends for her CONTINUED hate speech would somehow be a blow against free speech is laughable. No one would be stopping Court from continuing to speak her bigotry by renaming MCA; they'd just be sending the counter-message that many people vehemently disagree with her brand of idiocy.

As for the idea, I'd love to see MCA renamed but there clearly isn't the will or leadership to make it happen. As the ridiculously ignorant comments in this thread proves, there would be a bigger public uproar over the renaming of an arena to censure a bigot than there would be over the bigot's actual odious behavior, which is a sad comment on people. I much prefer the idea of ticketholders going to MCA with rainbow flags and/or banners protesting Court's words. If people can wave their flags around in the stands in a show of jingoistic d-ck-waving, surely a rainbow flag or a "Court Doesn't Speak for Me" banner would be perfectly acceptable.
In a free country adults should't get punished for their political views. What's important in naming tennis courts is what's important to tennis. Court's achievements on the court are vastly more important to tennis than any political statements about homosexuals. Not everybody is in favour of gay marriage & gay adoption & there's no reason why they have to be. Blather about allowing people to state their views while advocating punishment/ostracization by every supposedly autonomous organisation is disingenuous in the extreme, & uncomfortably parallels the situation homosexuals used to be in, when their careers could be ruined even if they weren't prosecuted. Persecution doesn't have to be state persecution to be persecution & the tyranny of the majority is still a species of tyranny.

I have no objection to the kind of protest you suggest at the end of your post but we should not expect autonomous institutions with no political purpose to count their members' political views above their contributions to the organisations' actual purposes.

Last edited by Sophocles : 12-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Sophocles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #93
country flag octatennis

octatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond reputeoctatennis has a reputation beyond repute

Should be call the supreme cout, where gay rights are respected.
octatennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #94
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Court got the court (pun intented) named after her due to her tennis achievements. Unless Court gets convicted in court (somebody STOP me) she shouldn't get attacked/punished for some statement she makes. That said, Court is nearly 70 now and I wouldn't want to court her. (Okay, that last one was ugly. )

Btw, why is this thread in General Messages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
I didn't see the match but I hope Nadal's injury isn't too serious. Get well soon Rafa!
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #95
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Court got the court (pun intented) named after her due to her tennis achievements. Unless Court gets convicted in court (somebody STOP me) she shouldn't get attacked/punished for some statement she makes. That said, Court is nearly 70 now and I wouldn't want to court her. (Okay, that last one was ugly. )

Btw, why is this thread in General Messages?
Best post in this entire thead.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 12-20-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #96
country flag PiggyGotRoasted

PiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
If there were a set criteria, they shouldn't take it away as freedom of speech. However, a business trying to sell tickets should strive to avoid offense, and these comments were clearly ignorant and offensive. I still think Guccione Stadium would be a good idea
Guccione is above having an outside stadium named after him, he would refuse and be very insulted at the idea.
PiggyGotRoasted is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #97
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
I was under the impression she had the court named after her because of her achievements in tennis rather than her political views.

Shouldn't this be in Off Topic?
Question - would the newspaper have called for an interview with her if it wasn't for her tennis background?
- I don't think she answered the questions in her remit as a former player...but its certainly why she was interviewed would her outburst get an inch of column space, let alone provoke such a strong reaction from the tennis community - if she wasn't the winner of 20 something grandslams...and an Australian tennis icon?
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #98
country flag Guy Haines

Guy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond repute

This shouldn't be in Off Topic, though I know anything that contains the word "gay" is shunted there as soon as possible by people who are a little more subtle with their condescension and disdain.

This subject pertains to the Australian Open, which is coming up in a month or so. It's one of the most relevant threads on the first page of GM right now.

While the gay marriage issue is at the forefront in Australia, I also think it's weird that Court is back in anti-gay action right after a countrywoman who is likely a lesbian won a major title. Court has continually been this way, since losing to Bobby Riggs before BJK owned his ass. She attacked Martina when Martina was at the top of the women's game taking considerable heat for being out. She is by no means a benign public figure.

Margaret Court shot off her mouth, and if there's any justice, she's going to get a visible and vocal public response to her comments at the arena named after her.
Guy Haines is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #99
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilnietė View Post
If I remember right in Switzerland there was a discussion about giving a name of Roger Federer to some street but the society disagreed to name the stree after a living person because who knows what he'll do in the future. I like that way of thinking, tennis results is not everything the person should be respectful in all ways...
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #100
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Haines View Post
This subject pertains to the Australian Open, which is coming up in a month or so. It's one of the most relevant threads on the first page of GM right now.
It does not pertain to the tennis at the Australian Open. It is about the political opinions of an ex-player. If threads about players' looks & families are officially Off Topic, I really don't see why threads about their political opinions aren't too. If people feel the need to engage in ritual abuse of everybody who dares to criticise current policy on homosexual matters, I wish they'd do it there.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #101
country flag Sophocles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
Question - would the newspaper have called for an interview with her if it wasn't for her tennis background?
- I don't think she answered the questions in her remit as a former player...but its certainly why she was interviewed would her outburst get an inch of column space, let alone provoke such a strong reaction from the tennis community - if she wasn't the winner of 20 something grandslams...and an Australian tennis icon?
I guess not. If I were a newspaper editor I shouldn't give a flying fuck about an ex-athlete's views on homosexuality but no doubt that's impossibly high-minded.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #102
country flag Amukinado

Amukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see the result of this thread if instead of gay people she had talk about black people.
Amukinado is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #103
Kip

Kip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond reputeKip has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret Court's name graces the stadium because of what she did as a player, not for her personal beliefs. Therefore, I would not support changing the name, despite not agreeing with Court's beliefs.
Kip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #104
country flag PiggyGotRoasted

PiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukinado View Post
I'd love to see the result of this thread if instead of gay people she had talk about black people.
Its obviously so much different...
PiggyGotRoasted is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #105
country flag Amukinado

Amukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond reputeAmukinado has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggyGotRoasted View Post
Its obviously so much different...
Discrimination when it comes to sexual orientation is acceptable but not when it comes to the colour of the skin? lol
Amukinado is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote