Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the Austra

Yes – bigotry is simply unacceptable 37 41.57%
No – Court has the freedom of expression 52 58.43%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Don't misunderstand me, I fully agree that there should be something done about this - an official statement from Tennis Australia, for instance, that they do NOT condone Mrs. Court's opinions, would be most welcome.
I just don't think it's adequate to rename the court, as that court was renamed after her because of her tennis achievements, not because of her private opinions/activities.

Pretty hard to adequately deal with religious nuttery, unfortunately.
I responded to you because you are a good poster. And I was rewarded with a good post.
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Slice View Post
I am not even slightly religious, but I agree with her views on gay marriage 100%. Of course, she was brave in saying what she said, because the "tolerant ones" will harrass her to maximum now.
I don't understand you--you aren't religious yet you agree with her views that marriage is, according to god's word, between a man and a woman? If you aren't religious, I don't get how you can agree with her views on the laws of a deity?

Change it to Bernard Tomic Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Just change to Atomic Tomic arena already...

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
country flag siffleanimaux

siffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Fucking love it.
siffleanimaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #20
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

How is her opinion on something non-tennis related event relevant? You could argue that it gives the AO a bad image, but most of the revenue-generating public wouldn't even know who Margaret Court is. Besides, I initially read the title as "Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court to slow court @ the AO", in which case it's a resounding yes given the aptness of the reflection upon the surface.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #21
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Yes, and play must only be allowed until 9pm.

Dr. Slice, I'm saddened to share one word of my user name with you.

Nathii - AHAHAHA
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #22
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
In light of the recent row that erupted when Margaret Court gave an interview to The West Australian in which she came down strongly not just against gay marriage, but gays themselves.

Her comments were condemned by many in the sport
by both gay and non-gay in the tennis heirarchy

what's your view?
No. Court is entitled to her opinions, even if they conflict with opinions of the liberals. Australia is a country where freedom of speech is still practiced. Even though I am an atheist and couldn't care less about the "magic book" I believe in person's right to express his/her ideas, no matter how delusional they might be...

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #23
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Good to see Aloimeh found themselves something to do while banned.
couldn't goodrep you for this.

I disagree vehemently with her hateful drivel but it doesn't take away from her contributions to her sport. She's entitled to her own (shitty) opinion.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #24
country flag Zare1

Zare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond reputeZare1 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvVnrV1tow
Zare1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #25
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verd View Post

The idea that what Court said is just a private opinion that should just be ignored is . Activists in various countries are trying as hard as they can to stop suicides among LGBT youths, and it has been documented that the kind of hate speech spewed by public figures like Court in the name of her deity is one of the root causes of the self-hate and despair these young people feel. To argue that renaming MCA to censure one of the sports' most prominent Aus. legends for her CONTINUED hate speech would somehow be a blow against free speech is laughable. No one would be stopping Court from continuing to speak her bigotry by renaming MCA; they'd just be sending the counter-message that many people vehemently disagree with her brand of idiocy.
If they are so weak they they commit sucides because of comments someone made, they probably don't deserve to be here anyway. This planet has over 7 billion people already. I doubt they'll be missed.

Quote:
As for the idea, I'd love to see MCA renamed but there clearly isn't the will or leadership to make it happen. As the ridiculously ignorant comments in this thread proves, there would be a bigger public uproar over the renaming of an arena to censure a bigot than there would be over the bigot's actual odious behavior, which is a sad comment on people. I much prefer the idea of ticketholders going to MCA with rainbow flags and/or banners protesting Court's words. If people can wave their flags around in the stands in a show of jingoistic d-ck-waving, surely a rainbow flag or a "Court Doesn't Speak for Me" banner would be perfectly acceptable.
She has a right to express her opinion, end of story. Thankfully Australia is still democratic and people are still free to speak their mind unlike in communist Europe where you can get jailed for denying holocaust People are free to do what they want, no matter how controversial it is, so wipe the foam from your mouth and accept it.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #26
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Eh, no. A player's personal opinion is something he/she is entitled to, however despicable that opinion might be. It takes nothing away from her achievements in tennis.
thats true but it doesnt address the issue.

arthur ashe didn't get the new york stadium named after him mainly because of his tennis and some of the residents of basel have refused to name their street 'roger federer' not because of his lack of achievements...
Old 12-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #27
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
thats true but it doesnt address the issue.

arthur ashe didn't get the new york stadium named after him mainly because of his tennis and some of the residents of basel have refused to name their street 'roger federer' not because of his lack of achievements...
But Laver and Court have ones named after them specifically for tennis achievements (I don't know of any causes that they sponsor or if they've contributed any other way to society). If other tournaments choose to name theirs a certain way it's their prerogative. There's no hard and fast rule on how to name venues.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #28
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Rafter is obvious choice if they rename it, though Hewitt would also have a shot. As they should. What an awful ambassador

I personally like "Chris Guccione Arena"

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #29
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
But Laver and Court have ones named after them specifically for tennis achievements (I don't know of any causes that they sponsor or if they've contributed any other way to society). If other tournaments choose to name theirs a certain way it's their prerogative. There's no hard and fast rule on how to name venues.
true but at the time their images were not tainted by controversial opinions that defied the common establishment.

to use a rather common but inexact analogy, i can assure you that uncle laver wouldnt have a court named after him if he had been pro-nazi, regardless of how many Grand Slams he would have won.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 AM   #30
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
If they are so weak they they commit sucides because of comments someone made, they probably don't deserve to be here anyway. This planet has over 7 billion people already. I doubt they'll be missed.
You have said some pretty awful stuff, but this is just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote