Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the Austra

Yes – bigotry is simply unacceptable 37 41.57%
No – Court has the freedom of expression 52 58.43%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

In light of the recent row that erupted when Margaret Court gave an interview to The West Australian in which she came down strongly not just against gay marriage, but gays themselves.

Her comments were condemned by many in the sport
by both gay and non-gay in the tennis heirarchy

what's your view?
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

Good to see Aloimeh found themselves something to do while banned.

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
country flag thetennistimes

thetennistimes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should Tennis Australia change the name of the Margaret Court show court @ the AO

No.. why would they event think about changing the name??

Want to write about Tennis? Anyone can publish on TheTennisTimes and make money if your published - http://thetennistimes.com

thetennistimes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Now she was in a weak era.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Eh, no. A player's personal opinion is something he/she is entitled to, however despicable that opinion might be. It takes nothing away from her achievements in tennis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Good to see Aloimeh found themselves something to do while banned.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

who cares about wta

ffs

woman to kitchen

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

They should switch the name to Hewitt Court. He's a very humble, well spoken, non-controversial person.

Just ask his best friend Guillermo Coria.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
country flag Vilnietė

Vilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
who cares about wta

ffs

woman to kitchen

though I agree that WTA is boring to watch...

Last edited by Vilnietė : 12-18-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Vilnietė is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
who cares about wta

ffs

woman to kitchen
not a fan of the WTA either but it can have a negative affect on the sport in general...the scene in tennis is usually open-minded
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Changing the name of the court doesn´t make a big difference, but obviously Tennis Australia should make some statement abotu it, and then keep their distance to someone who is this stupid and ignorant.
Dougie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Eh, no. A player's personal opinion is something he/she is entitled to, however despicable that opinion might be. It takes nothing away from her achievements in tennis.

The fact that someone has the right to voice religious mumbo jumbo about gays (what a retarded person) does not mean we should not take a stance and say that we will not tolerate a society that ACTS to limit the right of gays. This woman is playing a role in trying to reduce gay rights (mainly through her ideas). We should fight her ideas and actions with those of our own. Changing the name of the court would be a symbolic way of asserting that we want a society that treats gays equally.

Most people have not had there minds warped by religion and can only stare in disbelieve at how any one can have a problem with what two men or two women do in their private bedroom.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute

What is funny about the poll options is that they are not mutually exclusive. They are consistent with each other, that is one can agree with both poll options. The part about her having the right to her own opinion and that bigotry is unaccepatable.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark73 View Post
The fact that someone has the right to voice religious mumbo jumbo about gays (what a retarded person) does not mean we should not take a stance and say that we will not tolerate a society that ACTS to limit the right of gays. This woman is playing a role in trying to reduce gay rights (mainly through her ideas). We should fight her ideas and actions with those of our own. Changing the name of the court would be a symbolic way of asserting that we want a society that treats gays equally.

Most people have not had there minds warped by religion and can only stare in disbelieve at how any one can have a problem with what two men or two women do in their private bedroom.
Don't misunderstand me, I fully agree that there should be something done about this - an official statement from Tennis Australia, for instance, that they do NOT condone Mrs. Court's opinions, would be most welcome.
I just don't think it's adequate to rename the court, as that court was renamed after her because of her tennis achievements, not because of her private opinions/activities.

Pretty hard to adequately deal with religious nuttery, unfortunately.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
country flag Dr.Slice

Dr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond reputeDr.Slice has a reputation beyond repute

I am not even slightly religious, but I agree with her views on gay marriage 100%. Of course, she was brave in saying what she said, because the "tolerant ones" will harrass her to maximum now.

Quote:
I think a totally dedicated and fit Serena can be in the top 200 of men's tour.

Hian talking about where Serena Williams would be in ATP
Quote:
Serena could be easily in Top 100.
Dr.Slice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
country flag Vilnietė

Vilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember right in Switzerland there was a discussion about giving a name of Roger Federer to some street but the society disagreed to name the stree after a living person because who knows what he'll do in the future. I like that way of thinking, tennis results is not everything the person should be respectful in all ways...