Gael's Press Conference - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gael's Press Conference

QATAR EXXONMOBILE OPEN

January 1, 2013

Gael Monfils

DOHA, QATAR

G. MONFILS/M. Shanan Zayed
6‑0, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Congratulations. Can you just talk to us about the match and how you felt on court?

GAL MONFILS: Well, I think it was a good start, a good start. I think my opponent was a bit nervous today, and then it's always tough for a young player to play I think a player at his home tournament.
But actually, you know, I played simple and then I was happy.

Q. Is it difficult sometimes to play someone and stay concentrated throughout the whole match, someone whose level is not necessarily like yours? Because in the second set you did lose your serve once, right?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah, twice. I think I lost my serve twice. But then I was just trying stuff.
Obviously he was playing a bit better and put the ball in. He had two breaks. That's good.

Q. Is your shoulder fine?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah. Hopefully.

Q. Do you prefer to have a comfortable match like that to start with or something a bit more difficult?

GAL MONFILS: Well, for sure I prefer more difficult. I think for me prefer play a tough opponent because I need matches.
So it's okay. I take it. You know, I'm happy. It's a win. It's a win, it's a win.
But, yeah, for sure tomorrow will be interesting.

Q. Do you expect to get more match nerves because you have played so few matches in the last few months, too?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah. I expect like tough match like tomorrow for sure I will have a tough match.
You know, it just sometime it's good to have match like that, but obviously, you know, at this point I prefer to have a tough match.

Q. How do you get on against Philipp Kohlschreiber?

GAL MONFILS: Well, it will be interesting because it will be my first time out on the court against a tough opponent. I know Philipp is tough to move, is tough to play against him. He's always a rival with long matches.
No, I expect to be aggressive and try to just be myself again, and, you know, I will try to enjoy.

Q. Is your performance more important than the outcome of the match?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah, I think my performance for sure will be, will be pleased to have a nice performance.
But a win is still a win, but if I can win and play good, why not?

one world, one life, one love, only Lleyton Hewitt
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gael's Press Conference

QATAR EXXONMOBILE OPEN

January 2, 2013

Gael Monfils

DOHA, QATAR

G. MONFILS/P. Kohlschreiber
6‑4, 2‑6, 6‑4

Q. What pleased you most, getting the results or your physical condition or winning big points at the end?

GAL MONFILS: Obviously the three of these, yes? I mean, for sure the results because it's always good to have a great victory like this in your belt.
Then, yeah, physically I'm happy because I serving like very fast and no pain, nothing very special, so I was pleased with that.
And, yeah, definitely the end of the match, I was very aggressive, and I made the shots, so I was happy with that.

Q. He tried to come at you quite a lot in the end, as well, didn't he? Was he more aggressive than you remember him before?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah. I'm thinking in the start he was very aggressive. And honestly I was a bit scared because I saw the ball goes very fast, and I was expecting like long rallies.
Then I have to adapt, change my tactic. And that's why also I think I become more aggressive and I try to play a bit more loopy in the end sometime to give me time and make him play up there, because he has very, very clean winners when I was playing under his belt.
So then I think I had a lot of luck because I risk a lot of shots, and I made it. So it's not every day, but today it came through fine.

Q. Were you affected by the time violation warning in the second set? Did that affect you?

GAL MONFILS: Well, a little bit. I think I got a bit ‑‑I think I let down my concentration because I think I had one for nothing, because as I told the umpire and the other one, it's like, I'm fit. I'm not pumping at all. And if I'm taking time, it's because I'm just like try to dry my hands. So actually, it's not a violation, actually.
So then I tried to focus again, and then, you know, you have to make some obstruction, and I think I did it right.

Q. Yesterday Feliciano also had a problem with the umpire about the time violation. Obviously today also. Do you have a problem with the time violation?

GAL MONFILS: Well, it's a bit tough. It's like come for a long time without in tennis, and then they give you new rules like this.
Can be fine. Actually, I like it because I'm the type of player, you know, I play with my physique. So it's cool if you have short time to recovery, I'm happy with.
But actually, if you dry your hand, they have to be something because everyone can see, and I told him, I asked my towel, I was in the baseline every time. So I tried to make it good.
And then, as I told him, it's like if it can be ten second, I'd be happier, because I don't know any players can run for 10‑second maximum and get back 10 seconds. I think I'd be one of the best. So for sure it help me.
So they have to manage and to judge. I think the umpire have to judge if the guy is really taking time because he's tired or whatever or he's taking maybe two or three seconds more because of ball kids or whatever can happen.

Q. Are you in favor of a countdown clock on the courts between points? Are you in favor of a countdown clock on the courts, 25‑second countdown clock?

GAL MONFILS: No, I'm not counting, but actually you're in bit of rush, in rush. It's tough because it's the first time, so you still thinking about. But it will help me I think in the end.

Q. Do you think you were unfairly treated?

GAL MONFILS: On this one? I took it, the warning, but as I told him, if I have a penalty point it was like, yeah, unfair because I like these courts and I think it's cool. I'm happy with that because I'm not pumping at all. So it's fair enough. But if I dry my hand and it goes for 26 second, sorry, but 26 seconds is not the end of the day.

Q. When you were obviously out a lot last year, how did you fill your time besides rehab? Was it frustrating?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah, it was a bit frustrating because you're not doing what you love. But actually I was fine. I was with my family, stay a lot with my family, with my friend, and, you know, just discover like plenty of new stuff.
You know, actually you live your life. You know, you're a tennis player, but we have a life and I'm young.
So I traveled a bit, be with my friend, be a good kid to my parents. So it was different.

Q. Did you forget about real life from the road and it kind of renewed your interest?

GAL MONFILS: Well, it's not real life because the real life is you're a human being. The real life is when my mom ask me to take out the trash. This is the real life.
Here it's real life, too, but it's a job. So it's just like you're not going to play tennis, but, you know, I'm doing most of normal stuff, basic stuff, without playing tennis. It's the same. Actually, it's the same. The only exception is I not a tennis player.

Q. What inspired the new 'do?

GAL MONFILS: Here is nothing. I think it's getting taken off maybe tomorrow or in two days. It's just like I have long hair, very long hair. It's very long. Just take hair after hair and curl it and put the cream and put it like this. But I still have pretty long hair.

Q. How long has it been like that?

GAL MONFILS: For five days, five days.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
country flag Ausie

QATAR EXXONMOBILE OPEN

January 3, 2013

Gael Monfils

DOHA, QATAR

D. BRANDS/G. Monfils
6‑1, 7‑5

Q. What happened?

GAL MONFILS: Well, obviously I think today my opponent was better than me. I think he went for his shots more than me, and obviously at the end he was like blowing in like every ball. You know, he was better than me today.

Q. The first set you especially seemed, compared to last night, you seemed more sluggish. Took you almost the whole set to get going.

GAL MONFILS: Yeah, it was tougher because I felt a bit heavier, and, you know, it was my first tough match yesterday.
You know, I struggled a bit with my recovery, so I'm alone so it's a bit different. I have to get used to, and, you know, just adjust a couple of stuff to be better.
Actually, he was playing very fast at the beginning, and it took me a while to adapt and, you know, to just to see how he was playing.

Q. He's got a fairly extraordinary style of playing, hasn't he, with sort of one strike? Not only that, but when he wins his points, he wins them in big sequences. How disruptive is that? How difficult is that to play against?

GAL MONFILS: It's tough because he not give you a lot of rhythm. He just is going for every point, I would say, a winner.
I think my mistake is I was maybe too focused to return first and then try to catch his backhand. I think I should maybe open it more on his forehand to get his backhand.
And then today it was a good day for him also, I think, because he was hitting clean winners.

Q. He's also played a lot of matches here and previously; whereas you've played very few. Was that a factor?

GAL MONFILS: Well, for sure it's tough for me without any matches in my belt. But still, I think today he was better than me. It's like no excuse. The player I was against was more aggressive, and he go for his shots and made it.

Q. In terms of your long‑term preparation, is this still satisfactory, though, this week for you?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah, you know, it's good, you know. Even it's a tough loss but, you know, it's one more match on my belt.
I mean, competition, win, lose, I'm still in competition, so, you know, now I just need to prepare for my next tournament. That is the most important thing.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
country flag Ausie

MONTE-CARLO ROLEX MASTERS

April 16, 2013

Gael Monfils

MONTE CARLO, MONACO

A. MONTANES/G. Monfils
6‑2, 2‑6, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. You had a diesel start. The last two sets were good.

GAL MONFILS: I was not good at all for the first set. I had trouble getting my legs going. I was slow.

Q. Was it because you're back in France, because you were away for a long time? What made you tense?

GAL MONFILS: I was not tense. I was tired. I was not able to run properly.

Q. When did you arrive?

GAL MONFILS: Saturday night. It's not easy.

Q. During the last two sets you were hitting good shots and serving well. We thought you could make it. Why didn't you win?

GAL MONFILS: I don't know. If I knew I would have won. If I had the key as to why I lost, I wouldn't have lost. I'm just pissed off.

Q. What is most frustrating?

GAL MONFILS: Losing. Defeat is the most frustrating thing.

Q. Maybe this is the part of the process you have to go through.

GAL MONFILS: Nobody said you should lose to become a good player. Some come back and win immediately. I'm pissed off.
Losing first round is bad. But I'm not worried. If I'm not winning, I just have to work more.

Q. What is your schedule?

GAL MONFILS: I don't know. Work, work, work starting tomorrow.

Q. How about your relationship with Eric?

GAL MONFILS: It's good.

Q. Did both of you set a deadline for you two?

GAL MONFILS: I answered that question several times. There was even a press release about this.
This is dealt with specifically by the French Tennis Federation. I am not all the time with Eric. It's already very nice from the Federation to give me this opportunity.

Q. It's tough?

GAL MONFILS: Super tough.

Q. What do you want to do right now? Go and play a soccer match or what?

GAL MONFILS: I want to go back to work. I prepared well for this tournament. It's really bad that I lost this first round. I'm pissed off.
Of course, I've been through that kind of thing already. But still pissed off.

Q. This match can be encouraging because there were good parts of the match. You did good things.

GAL MONFILS: Nothing is positive in that match. The only thing I want is to win. There's nothing else to build up your confidence than winning. I don't care if I play well or bad, I want to win.

Q. But do you have fun on the court or not?

GAL MONFILS: A bit of both. Maybe I prepared too well and I no longer have that little crazy side of me on the court anymore.

Q. You seemed very controlled on the court today. Maybe you're working on this too hard.

GAL MONFILS: No. Eric tells me to focus on the simple things, which I try to do. The question is, is it good for me. Maybe if I have more fun, it will help me win. Who knows.

Q. You want to set the court on fire?

GAL MONFILS: Yes, exactly that. I would like to have an answer to this. For the time being, I just have to work.

Q. What did he have that you didn't have today? Maybe confidence?

GAL MONFILS: I don't know. You should ask my coach. A coach knows that kind of thing. I was hitting harder, serving better, and he wins.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
country flag Ausie

SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS

October 10, 2013

Gael Monfils

SHANGHAI, CHINA

G. MONFILS/R. Federer
6‑4, 6‑7, 6‑3

Q. After seeing the tiebreak go Federer's way, you regrouped and stayed strong in the third set. Talk us through how that went for you mentally.

GAEL MONFILS: You know, 'cause it was easy what happened. You know, I knew that I choke on this forehand at 5‑4. I was like, on this forehand, it goes like, okay, I'm going to stick to the plan. I repeat this one on his backhand. Obviously, I run into the net.
Then I change my ideas because I was maybe nervous, too. I repeat out. Then, okay, he played good. And then, okay, let's do exactly the same thing in the beginning of the third set.
Even I was tired, so I tried to play more aggressive sometime, go more for my shots and it worked. So I took advantage of it.

Q. Given Roger's not‑so‑great year compared to his previous years, do players now go into matches with him with a different mindset? Did you go into today's match more confident knowing the struggles he's had this year?

GAEL MONFILS: Well, not really. You know, 'cause every time, you know, like a lot of people say, like, it's not the same Rog because he got two other great player with him, Novak and Rafa. A third one play also very good, Andy.
But when he's on the court, he's still Roger. He can rip it from anywhere. He can do stuff that not many player can do. You know, when you go on the court, you just stick to your plan and just, okay, I'm going to challenge him. Then if you see the way, you took it.
But I think we still have fear when we play against him. Just, you know, matters a couple point. Then maybe helps a little bit because you know he had a couple loss. So it's less fear, but still, you know, you're not going, Okay, I play Federer, it's easy draw. No, definitely not.

Q. It seems like the home court of Federer. Each time they cheer for Federer. What did you think of that?

GAEL MONFILS: It is good. When it is noisy, crowdy, they cheer for him, for me, it's just blow me for emotion. That's where I'm very good at.
Even is against me, it's Davis Cup spirit, you know, and I love it. So I don't care actually.

Q. What surprised you today from Roger's side?

GAEL MONFILS: From Roger? I think he miss a little bit more than he used to play because he used to play aggressive and maybe miss a bit less. Maybe I took a bit advantage of this. I know he will try and go for his shot, but maybe he is a bit less confident.
You know, you might not try to play too risky and maybe make him play a bit more and let him rip his forehand and let him play another one, another one. Before, his hitting forehand, it's like 99% shot that it's over. This surprise me a little bit.
But then, as I says, he's still strong. It's just a matter of confidence, I think. I have no doubt that he will get back the way of journalist and people expect him.

Q. Considering there are four places left for London, and Roger is one of those trying to qualify, how big a win do you think this one is for you?

GAEL MONFILS: For me, it's a good match. You know, it's a good match. It's always good, you know, to beat Roger 'cause no matter what he is still the legend of the tennis.
It's a good win for me. Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for him because I know he's running for London. But it's tennis. He's going to have more opportunity those weeks coming up.

Q. You have the possibility of meeting Djokovic. How much of a boost does this win prepare you for that match?

GAEL MONFILS: Boost, I don't know. It make me tired because I know if I play against him, is going to be exhausted, too.
I don't really think about it. Try to relax and try to have a great recovery because I think is going to be the key no matter what.
If he's Novak, he's full confident. It's a long rally from the baseline, he can hit any shot, forehand, backhand. Is going to be a really, really tough one. So I think I need to be more than 100% and to be fresh actually in my legs because is going to be a lot of running for me tomorrow definitely.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
country flag Ausie

SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS

October 11, 2013

Gael Monfils

SHANGHAI, CHINA

N. DJOKOVIC/G. Monfils
6‑7, 6‑2, 6‑4

Q. Talk a little bit about the match and then also following the match from yesterday and coming out again.

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah, well, it was a tough match today, a tough battle. For sure I expected a tough battle like this from the baseline, a lot of rallies.
I think I did good. I did good. In the beginning, I was come out strong. That was a bit my fear, because I knew I was tired.
I had a strong start, then Novak pull up even harder. He was great. He was great. I think I had a bit of luck in the breaker. Then I went for my shot once, and I took the first set.
It was tough. He was tough. I was tired. Yesterday I hurt again my abs. It was really tough. I get a bit scared with my abs. It was tough for me to serve full bore. For sure against Novak is impossible to win if not serving 100%.
Then he start again put the pressure back, you know, on me. So obviously he get back and actually break me once. I had an opportunity at 3‑All. But I think he played a great shots, a good serve and a good forehand.
Then I sort of give him the second set a little bit. I work with the physio, release a bit my abs. Then I think I forget I have the pain. The third was close.
It's been a while since I did not play big matches like this. It was tough for me to make the right choice in the good moment. I think it's the details. It was about some details that he won it.
But I'm still happy. I haven't practiced much before here. To come up here strong was good, you know. He is one of the best player in the world, and I have no shame today.

Q. You were injured relatively early in the season. It's been a struggle since then. Looking back on the season, how many tournaments have you been able to play injury‑free?

GAEL MONFILS: I don't counting actually. But it's tough. It's tough. Actually this season was kind of all right, not too bad, not too bad. But not many matches.
But, you know, I'm still confident 'cause even, you know, with my abs hurt me, to come up and play a big match like this, so I just have to be strong and work out stronger to be fit.
Maybe next year I will adjust my schedule 'cause so far I see that, you know, I'm a guy who can play maybe two, three weeks, then I need maybe two, three weeks off, then maybe play two, three weeks.
Now I try just to get last point I can have to get a ranking allow me to skip a couple tournaments.

Q. The second set, you got a little upset with the umpire. Talk about what happened there and if this was a distraction.

GAEL MONFILS: Not really. You know, I love any (indiscernible). I'm not swearing at him. I like to do that.
He give me a warning violation, time violation. I told him that I split, then it's not that easy move. I hurt a bit my hamstring, so that's why I took a bit long.
But he told me I should lift my hand and tell him, Just give me extra 30 second. I told him, Can you do the splits? You will see I was not able to lift my hand.
So is nothing major.

Q. Did it distract you for the rest of that set?

GAEL MONFILS: No, no at all. Maybe you think that it distract me. But I was too focused on this match. Then I think just Novak played good. He played good.
Also sometime he helps you to release because, you know, I get a bit upset because I start to felt the pain. When something's going bad, you always find something to release on. It was Carlos, so thanks to him.

Q. You played so well in this tournament. Are you sad at all the season is ending?

GAEL MONFILS: Not really because, you know, it was a long road for me. It's not finished, but it's still a long road for me. I think in the beginning of the season, I was hundred and something. To get back where I am, I would never believe.
And then to come out today and play those big matches, also is the same. I'm happy, and try to focus on the last three tournaments.
I'm just now, okay, I will have a month and a half to practice, to get back on the top. I'm already looking forward for 2014.

Q. I talked to Jo about this before. We tend to think of the top nation in the top of the rankings as the Spanish, yet both you and Spain have the same seven players in the top 50. They have 14 in the top 100. You have 13 in the top 100. Why do you think we don't think of the French quite at that level with the Spanish?

GAEL MONFILS: I have no ideas actually. No ideas. Luck.

Q. Jo thought that maybe because you guys are not quite as tight friends as the Spanish, that you're not driving each other. Any truth to that?

GAEL MONFILS: Maybe. But obviously, you know, to be honest, we just had all luck. Even you're friend with someone, is your talent. Maybe our country exploited better the kids. Maybe that's why we have a bit more players.
But honestly I think it's just luck. Some generation is more, some not. So it's luck, I think.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
country flag Ausie

January 3, 2014

Gael Monfils

DOHA, QATAR

M. MONFILS/F. Mayer
6‑3, 6‑2

Q. Very well played, Gal.

GAL MONFILS: Thank you.

Q. You played so well. You have not had a close match yet. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

GAL MONFILS: Well, I think maybe both. I think it's good because it mean that I am in shape, and I am playing very good and actually I can keep the level through all the match.
And it's bad because for sure tomorrow I think is going to be tighter. Actually, I haven't been in that position, so for sure it's going to be interesting to see.

Q. What is causing your good form? Is it because you're now injury‑free or motivated or both or other things?

GAL MONFILS: Well, I have always been motivated, but it's a good point to say that I feel my body great. It has been a while, you know, that, you know, as you say, I'm injury‑free and I can move and recover good.
I think I have done a good job this year even had a longer period without playing, but as I said, when I had the problem with my knee I work hard all my other part of body and definitely the knee, but I felt much better last year. Then I start to feel much better this year, so hopefully it gonna be going like this for all the season.

Q. You were just talking about good things and bad things. Is it a good thing or a bad thing that you're playing without a coach at the moment? You have always been a free spirit. Does it allow you to express yourself a little bit more?

GAL MONFILS: Well, even, you know, when you have coach, you are not playing for him. You just express yourself. But same, I think it's positive way and negative way, you know. It's for sure positive way because it make me do the thing on my own and also try to build every day like motivation, strong motivation, and believe that I can beat the top player.
You know, every day is not that easy every day sometime to run, do the gym, and go on the court, but actually I have to do it. So give me more maturity.
Then I think it's negative because sometime it's not that easy. You know, sometimes I feel lonely. Just like I'm doing all my stuff all alone. So that is tough. Sometimes to debrief, actually I'm just watching sometime some videos alone. That's tougher, and, you know, it's always nice to share like tactic, to share like ‑‑actually, I have no one to tell me before the match, you know, some tips and everything, so this is tougher.

Q. Where did you do your offseason work? Because you come here and you're firing on four cylinders.

GAL MONFILS: Well, I have done a bit in Los Angeles and a bit, I do a week in just a bit outside Paris, and then I did the rest at home in Geneva.
Well, I think I had a great one. I think it was great. You know, I had a couple of people who helped me. So actually, I was happy with that, and I guess it was not a bad job with them.

Q. Who were they?

GAL MONFILS: I work with Rory Cordial. It's the former physio fitness coach of James Blake. I work a bit with him in the States. I work with Gerald Bremond just outside in Paris with Tennis Sarcelles. And then actually I work with my home, at home, I just work alone and I have a few sparring partners.

Q. Two times that you beat Rafa were here, been in the finals two times. Is there something about playing here that particularly suits you?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah, definitely. I like the condition, you know. I think I like the balls, the court. I think the court is fast, but still I can manage to run and to cover good the court.
I like play nighttime actually, I would say, because I always play night. So is great.
Actually, I just like the atmosphere, you know. I think it's nice, and there is a lot of French persons here. I feel like it's a bit like playing in France, so it's better for me.

Q. A lot of players obviously start a new year with kind of renewed optimism, Gal. How are you feeling coming into 2014 in general? Are you looking forward to what you can achieve this year?

GAL MONFILS: Well, for sure I have a couple of high goals in mind, you know. Then, you know, just trying to manage to do it, actually.
But, you know, for this year I'm just also try to be myself and don't give up, you know, any matches. You know, when you're happy I think you have like positive stuff happen, so, you know, I try to just be happy and don't even think about any negative stuff.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
country flag Ausie

January 4, 2014

Gael Monfils

DOHA, QATAR

R. NADAL/G. Monfils
6‑1, 6‑7, 6‑2

Q. Congratulations on a great tournament.

GAL MONFILS: Thank you.

Q. You managed to get back into the match. What do you think made the difference in the end?

GAL MONFILS: Well, plays tough. First of all, I think I start very slow, the match. But also I think Rafa put pressure on me like from the first point. So it was very aggressive, actually, like first game, and then was tougher, you know, for me to adjust.
Actually, you know, I thought like the fourth/fifth game was very tough, because actually this week he didn't play like this in the beginning, so he was tough, you know. I just see like a strong Rafa on his baseline, hitting very hard the ball deep. And is not that I was surprised but it was tough. You know, he was really tough.
So then I just start to hang around a little bit and just wait for the second set to be my turn, like, you know, I knew I would try to serve first. I think I managed to have like 15 more on my first serve. You know, I think I was 210 to 211, you know, I try to play like with more power and stronger, so make him feel that I'm not done with him, or I mean, he's not done with me, and I accept the challenge.
So then it was a battle, you know. Then I think I had the opportunity to close earlier the second set, and then I think I had a bit luck, because in the breaker was very close. I have a good shot. It was okay.
Then I think I had first opportunity in the third set, and I didn't make it, because I think it was ‑‑I don't know. I did not take the opportunity at 1‑All, Love‑30. Had a good rally, you know, and I remember that I say to myself, I need to hit this forehand, actually, because we have been in backhand, forehand, backhand, forehand, and then he goes to my backhand again.
Then I went, Okay, I'm going again. I had this short forehand, I think. I guess I just was a bit too nervous maybe.
Then at the end of the point I just had very bad forehand in the net. I think that was the first turn of the match, because that was the opportunity to actually put him Love‑40 and maybe chance for the break.
Then I have others, because I had twice Love‑15, and I knew that he would slice it, and I couldn't target my return, my backhand return today.
That laid me down a lot today. Then I had those Love‑40 to get back actually in the fourth, and he made a decent passing shot, actually. I came forward, and good passing shot backhand cross, and then also I think I could be a bit more aggressive, you know, a little bit.
Then at the end, it's still Rafa. Rafa is strong, hitting hard the ball. It's always tough to play against him, and at the end he was a bit better than me today.

Q. Do you feel confident going to Australia after a week like this?

GAL MONFILS: Yeah. I had I had a good week. But still, you know, I need to work hard still, you know. It's not that easy I think to keep a good game like this. You know, you need to work every day.
So I have a week, so I have to decide what I gonna do. But still work hard, and then I be confident the first day in Australia.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
country flag RU90

RU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond repute

THE LAST TIME...WITH GAEL MONFILS
Montpellier
by Stephane Gamez | 07.02.2014

The gregarious Frenchman Gael Monfils is a fan favourite both on and off the court. The 27 year old is a four-time champion on the ATP World Tour and one of the more athletic and agile players to ever play the game.

The former World No. 7 has registered his best results on home soil, with a pair of runner-up finishes at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament in Paris and a semi-final run at Roland Garros in 2008. This week, while competing in singles at the Open Sud de France in Montpellier, he sat down with ATPWorldTour.com to discuss the last time…

I cooked for myself or others?
It was two days before Davis Cup. I cooked something simple. Pasta with tomato sauce and some steak.

I flew economy class?
Short trips are always in economy. For long trips, it was with my best friend who is here. I flew to Miami. It was a very long trip!! But in economy it was nice actually.

I met a childhood idol?
Everyday!!! My dad.

I shared a hotel room with another player?
This one is a long time ago. I can't remember. I know I have shared rooms with friends, but with another player it was Olympics with Gilles Simon.

I paid money to hire a court or buy tennis balls?
It was actually three days before the Davis Cup, in Geneva.

I played a practical joke in the locker room?
Every day. Thirty seconds ago (laughs).

I forgot a family member’s birthday?
No. Never!!!

Being famous helped me?
Everyday (laughs).

I strung a tennis racquet?
Two years ago. My dad has a stringing machine and I went there in Guadeloupe and I strung my own racquets.

I lost something important?
Maybe last week. I have some lucky toys and actually I forgot them in the hotel in India.

I last asked someone for their autograph?
Actually I never ask for autograph. I always ask for pictures. Last time was in December. I was in Los Angeles. I have a picture with some basketball players but the last one was with with Floyd Mayweather, the boxer.

I played another sport that might have caused me a minor injury?
I think last time was last year. I played soccer and I took the ball in my face and actually twisted my jaw.

I was asked if I was a tennis player?
Last week (laughs).

I missed a flight?
It was funny. A couple years ago. I think I over slept in Frankfurt. I arrived from Las Vegas and I missed my flight home. It was stupid because it was like maybe four hours wait in the airport and I actually woke up two hours after the flight left.

I heard/told a good joke?
Never!! (laughs). No, yesterday Hugo (the ATP physio) told one. He is the best.

I failed an exam?
Easy. Years ago I failed the exam for the driving license. But I have one now.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...e-Monfils.aspx
RU90 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
country flag DBR

DBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.onthegotennis.com/home/qu...l-monfils.html - A quick chat with Gael Monfils

If you could only have 1 meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Dombres, it is a creole meal from Guadeloupe.

What is one thing that you would change about yourself?
Id be taller.

Really?
Yeah.

How tall?
Like in meters, well say 2.08, 2.10. [That is 69 and 610 for my American peeps.]

How happy would your rate yourself right now on a scale from 1-10?
A 10!

What is the last gift you gave someone?
Well, my best friend three days ago, I bought him a pair of shoes.

What kind of shoes?
Boots.

If I came to your house for dinner, what would you cook me?
Easy! Spaghetti with tomato sauce and steak! (laughter) That for sure!

If I called your mom right now, what would she tell me about you?
You wake me up! (laughter)

If you were a hip-hop artist, what would your name be?
I have no idea! Breezy, Greezy, something like this. Like Le Breezy, Le Greezy. (hilarious laughter)

If you could have a room full of anything what would it be?
My family.

If you could be any Star Wars character, who would you be?
Anakin Skywalker!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
DBR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote