Woman in her 60ies Executed for Sorcery - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #16
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woman in her 60ies Executed for Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Or maybe I am one of the few who's not brainwashed by political correctness and doesn't want the minorities screaming for their religious rights when they are living on that country's generosity... I am not intolerant , I just don't want primitive religions trying to make their mark in a free and democratic country. If they want to worship some magician and some pedophile prophet, they should stay where they are and not come to a country where people enjoy actual freedom and where women have actual rights and don't have to wear towels around their head or risk being murdererd.
I may be willing to accept what you're saying if you actually spoke in more concrete terms. Really, if you're going to blast Muslims at least have the courage to name them. I realise that every country has its problems with immigrants; I know that I have my own biases against PRC nationals in my country. But where I have a problem is such blanket generalising that does a huge disservice to immigrants that go to Australia in good faith, genuinely trying to start a new life, genuinely trying to adapt to Australian laws. You should be proud of a country that at least purports to uphold fundamental human rights, which includes the freedom of worship - what's the point of setting yourself apart from these "primitive" cultures/religions/peoples if you refuse to recognise this basic right?

Quote:
I just don't want primitive religions trying to make their mark in a free and democratic country.
Are you talking about terrorism here?
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 02:10 AM   #17
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
I may be willing to accept what you're saying if you actually spoke in more concrete terms. Really, if you're going to blast Muslims at least have the courage to name them.
Why should I have to name every individual? Do you think I remember or care to remember all the deviants, hooligans and rioters who have commited religious crimes in Australia when they have been accepted on good faith into the country? Why exactly should I have to do that? You have access to google, don't you? You can find all the crimes commited against people, especially women, by religious fanantics in Western countries for yourself...

Quote:
I realise that every country has its problems with immigrants;
I have zero issues with immigrants. I have tons of friends and associates who come from Western Europe, Russia, Asia etc. They are all intelligent people who make a wonderful addition to this country and it's fun to talking to them about our cultural differences. The key thing is despite our differences, their philosophies, morals and ethics do not promote mindless violence based on what some clown said 2000 years ago.

Quote:
I know that I have my own biases against PRC nationals in my country. But where I have a problem is such blanket generalising that does a huge disservice to immigrants that go to Australia in good faith, genuinely trying to start a new life, genuinely trying to adapt to Australian laws.
Like I said, I have no problem with those people. What I have problem with is trying to impose their archaic laws upon the majority and whine about "intolerance" when the resistance is met. Wishes of majority should always take precedence over the minority. It's only common sense...

Quote:
You should be proud of a country that at least purports to uphold fundamental human rights, which includes the freedom of worship - what's the point of setting yourself apart from these "primitive" cultures/religions/peoples if you refuse to recognise this basic right?
Freedom of worship is fine, as long as the religion isn't primitive, brutal, violent and doesn't impede basic human rights or promote violence, which Islam does. If someone came to my country and claimed his religion makes ritual cannibalism okay, would it sit well with the local authorities? No.

Quote:
Are you talking about terrorism here?
No, I am talking about employers being required to cater to employees observing Ramadan, making prayer rooms for Muslim employees, women wearing towels around their head in Western counties etc. These ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #18
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

Appalling. Not the method of execution per se, but the charge, and the injustice of it all.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #19
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which parts of Asia did you have in mind?
China is a powerhouse nowadays, they do not share much of the problems countries like Saudi Arabia have with law and religion, but that goes without saying. India has a multitude of religions, and visiting it showed me how 'Americanised' or similar to Western culture many parts of the country has become. Not going to comment on whether its a good or a bad thing, but the development towards modern Western culture in India is rapid. Alot of traditional religious customs are ignored nowadays and I can't say it looks to have hurt India.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #20
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with most of what you're saying Tdoc, though it'll definitely be construed as xenophobic unfortunately - It's not black and white like that. It's true that people shouldn't have to be bombarded with other religious views from those settling in a foreign country, it's also true that people shouldn't have to cater for those who have entered the country and uphold different views, ethics and morals, nor should they have to alter their behaviour to suit them.

One thing though, people who make a new life in another country should be free to practice their religion and ideals as they see fit, in a manner which shows consideration for everyone else. Sure, they should be required to educate themselves with the law and customs of the country and obviously not practice anything extreme. Women wearing "towels" as you call them ( burkha?) surely hurts nobody, and it's unfair to control something like that. They can wear whatever they want. Yes religion should only be taken so far when brought to other countries, but most religious people living here from other countries, including muslims I know practice it fairly and considering they aren't doing anything troubling or pushing their views on me, it's really all none of my or anyone elses business.

Should never forget it's still a minority which damage the name of religions and entire countries. In Saudi Arabia's case, it sounds like the Government itself.

Last edited by Sham Kay : 12-13-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 AM   #21
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why should I have to name every individual? Do you think I remember or care to remember all the deviants, hooligans and rioters who have commited religious crimes in Australia when they have been accepted on good faith into the country? Why exactly should I have to do that? You have access to google, don't you? You can find all the crimes commited against people, especially women, by religious fanantics in Western countries for yourself...
This was not what I meant. What I meant was that you were obviously talking about Muslims and yet avoided using this term. If you want to speak out against a group of people, you should at least have the courage to name them.

Quote:

I have zero issues with immigrants. I have tons of friends and associates who come from Western Europe, Russia, Asia etc. They are all intelligent people who make a wonderful addition to this country and it's fun to talking to them about our cultural differences. The key thing is despite our differences, their philosophies, morals and ethics do not promote mindless violence based on what some clown said 2000 years ago.
That's not entirely accurate - Muslims who immigrate to Australia are immigrants too. I'm glad that you're not racist, but you obviously are intolerant towards people subscribe to the Islamic faith and towards Islam itself. It may serve you well to understand that there is no one accepted interpretation of what Islam is and what the laws of Islam actually entail. What you object to is only the extremist interpretation of the religion - in which case it may also serve you well to state it as it is.

Quote:

Like I said, I have no problem with those people. What I have problem with is trying to impose their archaic laws upon the majority and whine about "intolerance" when the resistance is met. Wishes of majority should always take precedence over the minority. It's only common sense...
But there has to be a reason why the concept of 'minority rights' exist. If the majority trumps the minority every single time, the logical conclusion is that racist policies start finding their ways to national laws. Are you sure that's what you really believe in? Because you're not an intolerant person.

Quote:
Freedom of worship is fine, as long as the religion isn't primitive, brutal, violent and doesn't impede basic human rights or promote violence, which Islam does. If someone came to my country and claimed his religion makes ritual cannibalism okay, would it sit well with the local authorities? No.
Again, your understanding of Islam is fundamentally flawed. Islam does not promote violence; no religion does. It is only a certain group of adherents who interpret it in a way that suits their violent ends that commit violence in the name of their religion. I can tell you for a fact that there are MANY Muslims in the world who disagree with these people, and yet you're lumping them together with the extremists. How is this fair?

I can tell you for a fact, too, that I live and work with Muslims and I have absolutely no problem with their religion and religious practices.

The fact that you compared Islam to a hypothetical religion that ritualises cannibalism says A LOT about your inherent prejudice against Islam. Which brings me to my next point...

Quote:

No, I am talking about employers being required to cater to employees observing Ramadan, making prayer rooms for Muslim employees, women wearing towels around their head in Western counties etc. These ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Why not? How do these practices affect you in any way? Are they forcing you to do the same? Are you forced to observe Ramadan? Are your female friends forced to wear the tudung? Are you forced to enter a prayer room with your Muslim colleagues when they pray? Denying their basic right to worship according to their religion by saying that it's unacceptable for employers to cater to Muslim employees is intolerant. You may not want to admit it, but it is what it is.

I have been very critical of France and its anti-Muslim policies, which I'm sure you agree with. The reason is really quite simple: I come from a country where these things are accepted as givens. My Muslim friends go off for prayers for a few hours every Friday. I eat at Halal places with them. Some of them wear the tudung. So what? I continue to live my own life. No one is forcing me to convert to Islam; in fact, I meet more Christian evangelists than Islamic ones. IN FACT, I have never met anyone who tried to shove Islam down my throat. It's funny that you're trying to protect the freedom of "Western countries" when you're trying to deny basic religion freedom to those amongst you that practise a different religion.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)

Last edited by tripwires : 12-13-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #22
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
China is a powerhouse nowadays, they do not share much of the problems countries like Saudi Arabia have with law and religion, but that goes without saying. India has a multitude of religions, and visiting it showed me how 'Americanised' or similar to Western culture many parts of the country has become. Not going to comment on whether its a good or a bad thing, but the development towards modern Western culture in India is rapid. Alot of traditional religious customs are ignored nowadays and I can't say it looks to have hurt India.
The most common thing that holds Asian countries back from development isn't really religion, but a weak, corrupt and/or autocratic government. Corruption is actually a huge problem in Asia, especially Indonesia and the Philippines. And look at Burma - it is the way it is because of the junta. Nothing to do with religion, really.

An effect of development is that traditional cultural and religious customs are tossed to one side. It's just the way it is. Which is why I can't sympathise with Westerners whining about losing their cultural identity when they don't have a clue first-hand what it's REALLY like.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #23
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Quote:
The most common thing that holds Asian countries back from development isn't really religion, but a weak, corrupt and/or autocratic government. Corruption is actually a huge problem in Asia, especially Indonesia and the Philippines. And look at Burma - it is the way it is because of the junta. Nothing to do with religion, really.
Oh of course not. Just talking about the religious factors here, since it looks to be the main point to this execution, the poverty and corruption is another more complex matter entirely. Best to stay away from that!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #24
country flag tripwires

Quote:
I agree with most of what you're saying Tdoc, though it'll definitely be construed as xenophobic unfortunately - It's not black and white like that. It's true that people shouldn't have to be bombarded with other religious views from those settling in a foreign country, it's also true that people shouldn't have to cater for those who have entered the country and uphold different views, ethics and morals, nor should they have to alter their behaviour to suit them.

One thing though, people who make a new life in another country should be free to practice their religion and ideals as they see fit, in a manner which shows consideration for everyone else. Sure, they should be required to educate themselves with the law and customs of the country and obviously not practice anything extreme. Women wearing "towels" as you call them ( burkha?) surely hurts nobody, and it's unfair to control something like that. They can wear whatever they want. Yes religion should only be taken so far when brought to other countries, but most religious people living here from other countries, including muslims I know practice it fairly and considering they aren't doing anything troubling or pushing their views on me, it's really all none of my or anyone elses business.

Should never forget it's still a minority which damage the name of religions and entire countries. In Saudi Arabia's case, it sounds like the Government itself.

EXACTLY. I hope he listens to you - you're more able to put the same point that I made across in a detached and I suppose objective way. I can't be objective about this - it's too close to home. The fact that he calls it a fucking "towel" is just ridiculous.

I think he was referring to the tudung - it's a headscarf that covers only the head and leaves the face and the rest of the body exposed. This is the burqa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burqa

I'm not Muslim by any stretch of the imagination but it really riles me up to see people diss the religion in such an ignorant and ill-informed fashion. I also fail to see the problems that countries like France and people like Topspindoc have with Muslim-friendly practises. What France has banned in recent times has been in practice in my country since independence. It's how we all get along. It's how we are one of the most successful and developed countries in Asia. Anything less than this is unacceptable; anything less is simply discriminatory.

And it's not like the Singapore government is even really interested in freedom and democracy; it's just pragmatic as hell, and it actually makes sense in this case. How do we ensure racial harmony? By not discriminating against the minorities, obviously. And this obviously entails letting them practise their religion. Common sense.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #25
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Oh of course not. Just talking about the religious factors here, since it looks to be the main point to this execution, the poverty and corruption is another more complex matter entirely. Best to stay away from that!
True. I would think, though, that the main reason why the Middle East is backwards is because of religion - or rather, a certain interpretation of it. (Sorry, I don't consider the Middle East to be a part of Asia. )
Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #26
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

This event in Arabia actually has nothing to do with any religion at all. Most of the draconian measures there such as this particular one are made up by the Saud monarchy out of their own will. I thought it would be easy to thread to post to see what amount of users on here would be quick enough to blame the issue on the religion of Islam, instead of a corrupt govt. that tries to misrepresent the religion for their own evil purposes, and unfortunately, seems like tons of people fall for the bait, and are quick to think all these crazy laws originate in Islam or other religions.

An example is honor killings. This concept has nothing to do with Islam either. You can find honor killings all over different countries regardless of religion. But when they happen in higher frequencies perhaps in the West, and people happen to notice it among certain populations more so than others, they are quick to deduce that it is something Islamic, rather than realize that it's a broad concept among a few crazy people who take their cultural pride to extreme heights.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #27
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

^ We in the Western World are regularly bombarded with stories from the media from an early age, regarding religion and the acts committed because of it. It's no surprise that we automatically latch onto religious factors to explain things. It's just something engraved in our thought processes nowadays.

I'm still unsure with this particular story, but I'll take your word for it and leave it at that, without risking anymore in indulging in ignorance on the topic.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #28
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Or maybe I am one of the few who's not brainwashed by political correctness and doesn't want the minorities screaming for their religious rights when they are living on that country's generosity... I am not intolerant , I just don't want primitive religions trying to make their mark in a free and democratic country. If they want to worship some magician and some pedophile prophet, they should stay where they are and not come to a country where people enjoy actual freedom and where women have actual rights and don't have to wear towels around their head or risk being murdererd.
why do you feel the need to turn everything into an immigration debate? This is a Saudi Arabian woman in Saudi Arabia. This story is not about immigration and minorities.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #29
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
This event in Arabia actually has nothing to do with any religion at all. Most of the draconian measures there such as this particular one are made up by the Saud monarchy out of their own will. I thought it would be easy to thread to post to see what amount of users on here would be quick enough to blame the issue on the religion of Islam, instead of a corrupt govt. that tries to misrepresent the religion for their own evil purposes, and unfortunately, seems like tons of people fall for the bait, and are quick to think all these crazy laws originate in Islam or other religions.

An example is honor killings. This concept has nothing to do with Islam either. You can find honor killings all over different countries regardless of religion. But when they happen in higher frequencies perhaps in the West, and people happen to notice it among certain populations more so than others, they are quick to deduce that it is something Islamic, rather than realize that it's a broad concept among a few crazy people who take their cultural pride to extreme heights.
I think it's interesting that they charged her with sorcery rather than fraud. It's almost like they are saying that her claims of curing illness are true! They should have put her in jail for being a con (and not executed her, obviously).
Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #30
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

i blame harry potter
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote