Which Nadalīs slam would you rank highest? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which Nadalīs slam would you rank highest?

RG 05 3 4.05%
RG 06 0 0%
RG 07 1 1.35%
RG 08 12 16.22%
Wimby 08 29 39.19%
AO 09 16 21.62%
RG 10 0 0%
Wimby 10 0 0%
USO 10 12 16.22%
RG 11 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which Nadalīs slam would you rank highest?

What do you think which slam for Rafa was most important - for his career, level of his game or just how memorable it was and so on.

RG 05- first slam
RG 06- 2nd slam
RG 07 - 3rd slam
RG 08- 4th slam, without loosing set
Wimby 08-first non-clay slam, one of best finals ever
AO- 09 - first HC slam, unbelievable finish, beating Verdasco in longest match in AO history and than taking down in another 5th setter arguably best HC player ever
RG 10- first slam after some time, without loosing set
Wimby 10 - 2nd Wimby
USO 10 - playing great HC tennis, serving better than ever before and after
RG 11 - 6th RG - equal Borgīs record
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Nadalīs slam would you rank highest?

I think both the USO and AO title. Who would have thought a few years ago, Nadal would EVER win a HC slam title? I know I didn't. That showed how determined he was to prove the naysayers wrong..

The only thing I think that could top that is him winning a YEC.
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

I think this has been done (at least several times).

My take on what you listed-

Obviously RG 2005 is the most important one. Set his confidence. The rest of his RG titles didn't really have anything to interesting to discuss.

AO 2009 was his most impressive slam. Only slam event where he was actually dominating with his backhand consistently. Too strong mentally when it mattered most.

I don't really view Wimbledon 2008 as great as many others. Sure, a lot of drama, but it was a chokefest. Federer had plenty of chances in the first two sets and blew them, while Nadal had plenty of chances in the 3rd and 4th sets and blew them. Then Federer again had plenty of chances in the 5th to go up a break, but failed to do so. Neither of them really played their best. Just happened to be the case where the scoreline stayed even.

US 2010 was similarly nothing special. He played solid in the final, but he got there with minimal effort. Benefited from a very good draw for himself.

Wimbledon 2010 is something I would put up there with AO 2009. Great tennis throughout especially mentally, although I still despise some of the "tactics" used against Philipp. Final was pretty boring, as Berdych, who I thought would end up being a consistent challenge to Nadal, failed to do anything special just like all their other matches since 2006. Pathetic.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
country flag GOAT = Fed
Banned!

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

For me RG '11.

He struggled throughout, but still got the job done. A true sign of a champion. Many people will say the hardcourt slams, but they fail to realise that Rafa did those achievements at the height of his play. AO 2009 was when he was at his absolute peak, and US 10 his serve was at its absolute peak.
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

For his level of play the USO 2010 was the worst thing that could have ever happened to him. Took away all his motivation, and right there he reached a level he was never ever going to reach again.

For his career and legacy it was the best thing that happened.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Reaching the 16-17 grandslam count should be enough for Nadal to keep going and wanting to achieve more. His motivation shouldn't have ceased at the USO last year
Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Rg 09
Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon 2008. Before this, Federer was winning most the non-clay slams (eight of the last nine!) and Nadal was winning Roland Garros. This made Nadal the unofficial number one and got the 'clay only' money off his back. Plus the match being a complete epic contributed to its importance.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

USO '10. Rafa may have been more impressive e.g. at '08 RG, but that was because of weaker field. I'd say he played at his top level at '10 USO, but the field was strong, too.
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

AO 2009, unforgettable trophy ceremony.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

AO 2009, BH was actually a weapon
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #12
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
I think both the USO and AO title. Who would have thought a few years ago, Nadal would EVER win a HC slam title? I know I didn't. That showed how determined he was to prove the naysayers wrong..

The only thing I think that could top that is him winning a YEC.
If Nadal wins the YEC/WTF, it's an impressive achievement that even tops his HC slams

Fed wins YEC/WTF for the 6th time, it's a joke of a tournament and not impressive at all
paseo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
country flag SetSampras

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
If Nadal wins the YEC/WTF, it's an impressive achievement that even tops his HC slams

Fed wins YEC/WTF for the 6th time, it's a joke of a tournament and not impressive at all
yea.. That will finally shut everyone up. First everyone said Nadal wouldn't win any hc slams.. He proved them wrong.. Then everyone says he couldn't be an all surface player, he proved them wrong.. Now people think he can't win a YEC.. That should be the ultimate mouth shutter there
Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #14
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal's U.S. Open.

He played more like a hard court player.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 AM   #15
country flag RafaNadal2012!!!
Banned!

RafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond reputeRafaNadal2012!!! has a reputation beyond repute

My Personal rankings of importance:
1. Wimbledon 2008
2. Us Open 2010
3. French Open 2008
4. Australian Open 2009
5. Roland Garros 2005
6. Roland Garros 2011
7. Roland Garros 2010
8. Wimbledon 2010
9. Roland Garros 2006
10. Roland Garros 2007

Level of play: