Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #31
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country

Same thing here in Portugal and I kind of like it. I like it that tennis is my thing rather than part if my culture.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #32
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Same thing here in Portugal and I kind of like it. I like it that tennis is my thing rather than part if my culture.
Did I just catch you on some kind of an 'elitist' approach?
Can't say I disagree.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #33
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
I think MLS is struggling more here than tennis...
idts, MLS is huge in Latino communities here and slowly gaining more coverage all over--I think it's third most attended sporting event after baseball and football. Big games get ESPN coverage and they are always playing EPL, La Liga and CL games on ESPN and Fox Sports.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #34
country flag Matt-TennisFan24

Matt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there

I'm from Buenos Aires too (not the city, the province - I live in Quilmes) and I agree that sometimes tennis over here is very much ignored for having so many top players in the tour.

However, one thing I can notice, is that everyone COMPLETELY ignores the Grand Slams when no argentine is still in the tournament, but however, when Delpo was going to play the DELRAY BEACH final (a totally unimportant tournament), everyone was talking about him, he was being mentioned in the radio, and even Direct TV Sports picked up the coverage of the final, just because Delpo was there.

This just truly sucks. I know we're a nationalist country, but hell, you don't need an Argentine player on your TV just to watch tennis. But well, I'm sure the attention tennis gets in Argentina is much better than in other countries. For example, I know that even big-tennis countries like USA don't even have full-coverage of matches sometimes (for example, I always hear complaints from americans saying that Tennis Channel shows live but matches but delayed!).

Anyway, going to the tournaments-held-in-here topic, I've only gone to the Copa Claro this year (The Copa Topper hasn't really called my attention due to its players, and even less the ITFs and Futures). I had a great time, I went one day for the Qualies and another for the Night QFs. However, I noticed a big lack of organization (or maybe it was just my bitterness for the situation) because it was a rainy-day, and they kept us waiting like THREE hours to see if finally tennis was going to be played that night (and we couldn't even find a good place to eat because many of the food-selling-stores were closed down because they didn't have all their papers in order!). So, finally, NO tennis was played that night, and they told us to come next morning to watch the matches we had paid for, but only for the ones THEY wanted. We were going to watch Nalbandian-Robredo and Monaco-Wawrinka originally, but the reorganized schedule said us night-ticket-holders could only watch the Nalby match and a conclusion of Chela's one, while simultaneously the day-ticket-holders (who just werent able to finish watching the Chela match) got to watch the Wawrinka-Monaco match from the start (and many of us were more eager to watch Stan than David!!) They didn't even want to give us our money back if we couldnt come the next day or didn't like the way THEY scheduled the matches! We were all so angry... but after all, I managed to watch Stan-Pico but no other match.

In spite of that, I plan to come back next year (hope the tickets dont cost more than they did this year!). But yeah, that's what I noted, the crowd when it's full is great, but it sucks the lack of organization it had this year.
Matt-TennisFan24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #35
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Did I just catch you on some kind of an 'elitist' approach?
Can't say I disagree.
omg you're right! it is a bit elitist from me.

But you know what I mean. Sports involves a lot of arguing between opposite fans, I could not do that about tennis I just want it all for me, no need to discuss it with anyone. I have MTF for that with the HUGE benefit that I only "hear" as much as I want to and reply only to those who I feel like replying.

Besides, just like Nole , I wouldn't have liked it in the first place if it was that popular
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #36
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Viruzzz,
Wel, you well know that football is the big sport in Argentina and everything is around it. And then come the rest where you can find specific fans of each one like Basketball, Rugby, Tennis, Golf, Car racing, etc... I don`t like the extreme fanatism on football and the way politics are involved on this sport so I try not to follow it that much any longer and love sports generally speaking. But this is just me.
But generally speaking I think that there`s a part of society that follows tennis and know of the sports. I like to go to the quallies even of small tournaments to see new players. And even on the quallies of the ATP Buenos Aires you can see crowds of people because it`s free (good way to promote the tournament). And this is not only in Argentina where tennis is in the shaddow of other popular sports as it was mentioned before. And aswell that happens all around the world that people generally speaking follow a sport when it is being succesful and forget about it when is it not in the best days.
I travelled a bit and in Wimbledon for example when you talk with people they only know about the players that do it well in their tournament but don`t have a clue of what happens in other tournaments the rest of the year. The only country where I found people outside of a tennis court really literate with tennis was in Australia (in Melbourne but not sure how it`s like in other big cities).
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cañas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #37
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute

Swedish tennis has mono. Hopefully it will recover for Rotterdam next year.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #38
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran70 View Post
I like to go to the quallies even of small tournaments to see new players. And even on the quallies of the ATP Buenos Aires you can see crowds of people because it`s free (good way to promote the tournament).
Hello Fran, thank you for your answer.
That's quite true, going to the qualies I knew and met some of the "young guns" from our junior tennis like Arguello, Schwartzman, Velotti, Pastor... It's the future and it's so cool to be into it. They usually recieve WC into the challengers main draws, that's also pretty good.

Quote:
I travelled a bit and in Wimbledon for example when you talk with people they only know about the players that do it well in their tournament but don`t have a clue of what happens in other tournaments the rest of the year. The only country where I found people outside of a tennis court really literate with tennis was in Australia (in Melbourne but not sure how it`s like in other big cities).
Well... I envy you
My dream is to go to Wimbledon, and I really hope one day I'd do it.
You really surprise me with that... It's a bit difficult to believe, I mean... I usually know the whole field in Wimbledon singles' draw.
Well... I think I'd know it in time. I can dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-TennisFan24 View Post
However, one thing I can notice, is that everyone COMPLETELY ignores the Grand Slams when no argentine is still in the tournament, but however, when Delpo was going to play the DELRAY BEACH final (a totally unimportant tournament), everyone was talking about him, he was being mentioned in the radio, and even Direct TV Sports picked up the coverage of the final, just because Delpo was there.
Hello
True. I have DirecTV and I remember they broadcast the final only for Delpo beeing there.
I mean, it's quite good for his die-hard fans who can watch it via TV and not with a live-broadcasting in internet, but it's kinda weird how the people act.
The magazines made an article about Delpo's Delray Beach, and that article is bigger than Federer's one winning Paris... I mean, come on!

It surprises so much what you say about the lack of organization in the Copa Claro.
I didn't live that, but, knowing the country, I believe you. And it's not good...
Next years' field would be better than the last one. I hope you can go, it's gonna be well deserved.
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #39
country flag Matt-TennisFan24

Matt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-TennisFan24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Hello
True. I have DirecTV and I remember they broadcast the final only for Delpo beeing there.
I mean, it's quite good for his die-hard fans who can watch it via TV and not with a live-broadcasting in internet, but it's kinda weird how the people act.
The magazines made an article about Delpo's Delray Beach, and that article is bigger than Federer's one winning Paris... I mean, come on!

It surprises so much what you say about the lack of organization in the Copa Claro.
I didn't live that, but, knowing the country, I believe you. And it's not good...
Next years' field would be better than the last one. I hope you can go, it's gonna be well deserved.
Thanks Yes, I try to forget the incident from this year (In fact, even a man wanted to break everything until they gave our tickets back ) That's so argentine-like, right? But yeah, this year is gonna be good, I hope Ferrer and Wawrinka will come, they're the ones who attract me the most of the field.

And I agree, I hate it when newspapers have like only a little square about the semis of the M1000 but a whole page when an argentine is doing well or when DC is getting closer. But that's why we have computers, right? Nobody needs newspapers anymore lol
Matt-TennisFan24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #40
country flag Monfils

Monfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond reputeMonfils has a reputation beyond repute

It's so interesting to read that thread. I think tennis is popular where players are strong and as they are only few players who win the big tournaments or big competitions (as Davis Cup), its never the "most popular". Here in France we can watch on free TV only French Open and Davis Cup. This year we had in more Bercy semi and final & WTF final and that's all. However we have many good players, 4 in top 20, and tennis is the 2nd sport played in the country, behind football.
But it's not really popular, because we don't have a grand-slam winner. The newspaper talks so much about football, we haven't any TV or radio show. We have a good coverage from media, but people don't know many things about tennis but Federer & Nadal.
I mean, persons who are interested by sport may know Tsonga, Monfils & Gasquet and the best players in the world, but they won't know who won Wimbledon!

I love Argentina fans and the passion about Davis Cup, France is a country where Davis Cup is important but we haven't same fans. We have good supporters who travel but it's not like Argentina where there's really fervor.

But I think, if we get a grand slam winner as you had with Del Potro, it would be a superstar during many years and for all tournaments which he would play in France.

I would like tennis be more popular, but i don't want it would be the "most" popular because it would have all football issues and going to a tennis stadium wouldn't be as cool than it's actually.

By the way, I love going to Roland Garros and Bercy and I love french players ! Alleeeez !
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #41
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monfils View Post
It's so interesting to read that thread. I think tennis is popular where players are strong and as they are only few players who win the big tournaments or big competitions (as Davis Cup), its never the "most popular". Here in France we can watch on free TV only French Open and Davis Cup. This year we had in more Bercy semi and final & WTF final and that's all. However we have many good players, 4 in top 20, and tennis is the 2nd sport played in the country, behind football.
But it's not really popular, because we don't have a grand-slam winner. The newspaper talks so much about football, we haven't any TV or radio show. We have a good coverage from media, but people don't know many things about tennis but Federer & Nadal.
I mean, persons who are interested by sport may know Tsonga, Monfils & Gasquet and the best players in the world, but they won't know who won Wimbledon!

I love Argentina fans and the passion about Davis Cup, France is a country where Davis Cup is important but we haven't same fans. We have good supporters who travel but it's not like Argentina where there's really fervor.

But I think, if we get a grand slam winner as you had with Del Potro, it would be a superstar during many years and for all tournaments which he would play in France.

I would like tennis be more popular, but i don't want it would be the "most" popular because it would have all football issues and going to a tennis stadium wouldn't be as cool than it's actually.

By the way, I love going to Roland Garros and Bercy and I love french players ! Alleeeez !
Hi there,
Nice post . I spent 10 days in Paris recently and in Eurosports they broadcast only female matches but for some reason I ignore there were non male tournaments broadcasted .

France looked for me pretty much like things are in Argentina where people generally speaking prefer team sports (lot of handball, basketball, football and of course rugby on tv on these days). I was there during the Rugby World Cup final and lot of people supported their players arrival after the defeat near Place Concorde if I`m not wrong.

I would love to go to Roland Garros one day btw .

Cheers

Fran
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cañas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #42
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi there,
Nice post . I spent 10 days in Paris recently and in Eurosports they broadcast only female matches but for some reason I ignore there were non male tournaments broadcasted .

France looked for me pretty much like things are in Argentina where people generally speaking prefer team sports (lot of handball, basketball, football and of course rugby on tv on these days). I was there during the Rugby World Cup final and lot of people supported their players arrival after the defeat near Place Concorde if I`m not wrong.

I would love to go to Roland Garros one day btw .

Cheers

Fran
HI, did you enjoy your stay in Paris ? Hope you did
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #43
country flag fran70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbyfan View Post
HI, did you enjoy your stay in Paris ? Hope you did
Paris is the most beautiful city in the world . That`s my 3rd time there and I can return there again and again and again . Definitely one day I will go there for Roland Garros.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #44
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your compliments, you're welcome over here. Did French people were amiable with you ? I know our reputation is not very good about it...but I always try to help foreign tourists when I can
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #45
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating to read about other countries. I should be glad for the tennis channel then and live streams And I have one friend at work I can discuss tennis with; then again he was an amateur player in his home country way back when
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote