Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshadows View Post
When you think about it there probably isn't a single country that has tennis as their #1 sport.
discussed here

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Argentina all the best, I hope they get the DC they deserve.

But they're not the centre of the earth... the same things could be said about pretty much any other nation in the world.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaKz View Post
I am waiting for threads:
Australia - To be a tennis fan in a Rugby country
India - To be a tennis fan in a Cricket country
Sweden - To be a tennis fan in a Ice Hockey country
Korea - To be a tennis fan in a Short Track country
USA - To be a tennis fan in a NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA, MLS country
China - To be a tennis fan in a Table Tennis, Diving, Badminthon, Gymnastic etc.etc.etc. country
That would be fuckin awesome.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #19
country flag Helevorn

Helevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
Norwegian. I win.

We might get the match point from a grand slam final on televison. NRK (Norways BBC) bought the rights to Wimbledon a couple years ago, and I was so pumped. We got tennis on two free TV-channels most of the day, and free streaming of all courts on the web. That lasted two years before they sold the rights to keep eurovision. Not a joke unfortunately.

The reason is of course because we have no players. It is almost hilarious how bad we are at this sport. As far as I know Christian Ruud is our only top 100 player, and he never won an ATP-tournament. Sometimes a supposedly talented youngster will get hyped for a couple of minutes or on a sports show, but this is usually what they accomplish:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...dmoe.aspx?t=pa

*By the way, we don't really have any great athletes besides winter sports. The reason we thrive there is because no one else cares.
You have still Ulrikke Eikeri in the women's field, I love her
Helevorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When you think about it there probably isn't a single country that has tennis as their #1 sport.
That, basically.

It's the same where I live, Footie, footie footie. Tennis is an enigma of a sport. Appreciated all over the world where even sports like Football (/Soccer) is completely ignored in certain parts, but Tennis is never the biggest thing in any country. Many people all over the world acknowledge tennis due to the hype created by the grand slams and the biggest players and that tennis has always been one of the traditionally known sports.. I mean, nearly everyone knows who Federer is.. but those same people might not even know how the sport works.

For example, last year I was watching the WTF 2010 Final with a group of friends in a restaurant. I was the only one watching it by the way. I was sitting too far away and with my crappy eyesight was unable to see the score. I asked a couple friends (who are completely ignoring the screen) to tell me what the score says and they say- "errr, oh Federers playing! Nadal has 3, 6, 1 aaand 0 .. Federer has 6, 3, 2 and 15." Sounds incomprehensible until you realise they were reading the score sideways.. should have been 3-6, 6-3, 1-2 (0-15). Pretty sure I would have foamed at the mouth if it wasn't already stuffed with a kebab.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
For example, last year I was watching the WTF 2010 Final with a group of friends in a restaurant. I was the only one watching it by the way. I was sitting too far away and with my crappy eyesight was unable to see the score. I asked a couple friends (who are completely ignoring the screen) to tell me what the score says and they say- "errr, oh Federers playing! Nadal has 3, 6, 1 aaand 0 .. Federer has 6, 3, 2 and 15." Sounds incomprehensible until you realise they were reading the score sideways.. should have been 3-6, 6-3, 1-2 (0-15). Pretty sure I would have foamed at the mouth if it wasn't already stuffed with a kebab.
Dude, that was pretty damn funny.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #22
country flag Vilnietė

Vilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond reputeVilnietė has a reputation beyond repute

it reminded me... Once on some small radio station I heard that player A won against palyer B with result sixty-three to sixty-one
Old 12-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #23
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilnietė View Post
it reminded me... Once on some small radio station I heard that player A won against palyer B with result sixty-three to sixty-one
Basketball country!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #24
country flag abhinav_shaan

abhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond reputeabhinav_shaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
damn funny.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #25
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have much to complain about here. We have zero tennis players but the ATP coverage on cable is pretty good - we get full Grand Slams and Masters tournaments and selected 500 and 250 tournaments from QF onwards. WTA coverage on Eurosport is pretty bad though, but I don't follow it as much as ATP so it doesn't annoy me that much. I don't read the newspapers and I don't listen to mainstream radio or watch the news so I don't know what's reported and I don't care. :P There's a sizeable group of people here who are passionate about tennis - I've met a few people who live, sleep, breathe and eat tennis. It's pretty fun.

I also just found out a few months ago about an ATP Challenger in Singapore. And there's some WTA exhibition tournament coming up next weekend - the response seems pretty lukewarm actually based on the fact that the tickets are not sold out yet, but I bought my tickets ages ago and I can't wait to go!

Football is of course the most popular sport here, but I think for a small Asian country with next to 0 professional players, the level of interest is pretty decent.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #26
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaKz View Post
I am waiting for threads:
Australia - To be a tennis fan in a Rugby country
India - To be a tennis fan in a Cricket country
Sweden - To be a tennis fan in a Ice Hockey country
Korea - To be a tennis fan in a Short Track country
USA - To be a tennis fan in a NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA, MLS country
China - To be a tennis fan in a Table Tennis, Diving, Badminthon, Gymnastic etc.etc.etc. country
I think MLS is struggling more here than tennis...

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #27
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess in Switzerland tennis would be one of the most popular sports...
Not really. Still way below football, hockey and alpine skiing.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #28
country flag viruzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post
Not really. Still way below football, hockey and alpine skiing.
Really? I'm curious about that...
Would you tell us more? How's the "Sport-popularity distribution" round there.
What does the news say... etc.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #29
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Really? I'm curious about that...
Would you tell us more? How's the "Sport-popularity distribution" round there.
What does the news say... etc.
Of course Federer is by far the biggest Swiss sportsman and makes the headlines quite often. But in term of sports popularity, football and hockey are way above anything else.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #30
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of course not, same thing with golf. When you have "elitest" type sports like these, it is mostly played and viewed by the upper class, which is certainly never the majority in any country.