2011 What Would You Change About MTF? thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #46
country flag Neumann

Neumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond reputeNeumann has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 What Would You Change About MTF? thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
So you want an exclusive sub-forum with about 20 posters in it?
Nah, you need a few hundreds to make a forum worthwhile. But as far-fetched as it may seem to some, MTF has hundreds of excellent posters.
Posters like you, scarecrows, tangerine_dream, finishingmove, etc.

But even posters like TMJordan or I_mac, who need the occasional trolling to fight the ennui and frustration coming from reading endless series of dumb and boring posts, would be great fun in a more challenging environment (don't get me wrong, they're fun now. It's the not-so-quick people who don't get their trolling/sarcasm/points that get tedious).

Heck, even smart but difficult posters like glennMirnyi might work in the proper context.

It's all about finding the right social dynamic, which is an awfully hard thing to do. Sometimes it's a simple change like diminishing the anonymity (there's various news sites that require you to comment with your Facebook account, for instance).
I thought about this elitist sub-forum, which could end up being interesting for people who want more coherent discussions and witty humor, and for lurkers like me. The onus would fall on the mods to select the right people, but MTF is blessed with pretty solid mods.
Neumann is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #47
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you're saying and in an ideal world thats what this forum would be in the first place. The best thing to do would be to make a sub-forum strictly for tennis discussion only but without the exclusivity. It would be pretty easy to ban any trolls from that forum only if they began shitting it up with the usual GM drivel.

Even then you'd struggle to get the volume necessary to make it worthwhile. There are a few technical/actual tennis threads in GM but they don't last long.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #48
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Many people are offended by r**e, but nobody is offended by motherfucker. Go figure.
People offended by a term for violent forced sex and not a slang term, imagine that

I am still confused about why buddyholly is so desperate to use the word, to be honest. It is really destroying him inside not to be able to use **** in NT, seeing as how the topic clearly comes up all the time in this forum.

+1 for a youtube embed button and for the IMG to work like the bold/italics buttons.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #49
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Ban all the boring crappy trolls, which means about 98% of the regular posters.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #50
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumann View Post
MTF has hundreds of excellent posters like [...] tangerine_dream
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #51
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nah, you need a few hundreds to make a forum worthwhile. But as far-fetched as it may seem to some, MTF has hundreds of excellent posters.

But even posters like TMJordan or I_mac, who need the occasional trolling to fight the ennui and frustration coming from reading endless series of dumb and boring posts, would be great fun in a more challenging environment (don't get me wrong, they're fun now. It's the not-so-quick people who don't get their trolling/sarcasm/points that get tedious).

Heck, even smart but difficult posters like glennMirnyi might work in the proper context.

It's all about finding the right social dynamic, which is an awfully hard thing to do. Sometimes it's a simple change like diminishing the anonymity (there's various news sites that require you to comment with your Facebook account, for instance).
I thought about this elitist sub-forum, which could end up being interesting for people who want more coherent discussions and witty humor, and for lurkers like me. The onus would fall on the mods to select the right people, but MTF is blessed with pretty solid mods.
This embracing of elitism reminds me of Prima Doucha.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #52
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

even without being around these days i sense the moderation level has improved; i mean, you are asking us questions, listening to opinions, and sometimes even fulfilling them

i've heard good words particularly on snowwy who bothers to PM people explaining in details the bans/infractions
good to see cobalt60 on the team, she's one of all time best posters on mtf and her sanity AND humour sense cannot be questioned by anyone

and the bump of the year award goes to slokid obviously

personally i find "player a ***** player b" titles and referrals as disgusting and also humiliating to real **** victims who post on this board (yes, there are a few people we're aware of plus probably more that we're not), but i agree with some previous posters this sort of phrasing should be rather dealt with individuals by infracting them (like "wishing injury on a player")

unlimited repping or bigger avatars would be surely cool to have

finally...... since 3,5 years us people from attention seekers thread have been promised having our old thread unmerged. i suspect even "from one million to zero" will be unmerged quicker, sadly, while this one is about our memories and history of mtf (i believe other big threads have been already unmerged; i think it's a discriminatory remark against us )

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #53
country flag SloKid
In hiding.

SloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we could be more helpful on the technical side of things, but I'm afraid we are often in the dark ourselves as to what plans and intentions the owners of the site have and what they can or cannot do, or better put what they are willing to improve.
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #54
country flag JolánGagó

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Get rid of all moderation, which is killing the site. Pay them if necessary to make them quit, offer alternative job, whatever...

Last night, darling, I lost my underwear
Sak Noel
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #55
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
A section on user cp perhaps, where it tells you if someone has quoted you in a thread.
This

Quote:
Subforum for the Fog
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
unlimited repping or bigger avatars would be surely cool to have
and this.

Also, concerning reps, we should be able to see (or search for) more than just the 15 latest we received.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #56
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
People offended by a term for violent forced sex and not a slang term, imagine that

I am still confused about why buddyholly is so desperate to use the word, to be honest. It is really destroying him inside not to be able to use **** in NT, seeing as how the topic clearly comes up all the time in this forum.
Your usual ''bullshit''. That is a slang term for uninformed, erroneous bovine excrement. Or ''crap'' to be precise.

I am not desperate to use the word. It is yourself who appears unable to distinguish between the legitimate use of words in a discussion and the use of the same words as slang terms. Some of us are more mature.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #57
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Apologize for my unfair ban.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #58
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post

personally i find "player a ***** player b" titles and referrals as disgusting and also humiliating to real **** victims who post on this board (yes, there are a few people we're aware of plus probably more that we're not), but i agree with some previous posters this sort of phrasing should be rather dealt with individuals by infracting them (like "wishing injury on a player")
The difference here would be whether the offended people would also be offended by reading the word in a discussion of current affairs. I don't know how you deal with it, but I don't think bowdlerizing the entire forum is the best way. There must be a better way.

At the moment anyone wishing ''death'' is banned. But I don't think anyone has ever suggested that ''death'' should be replaced by ***** everywhere on the forum. So why not use that method for all offensive language, when the all-important context of the use is taken into account?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #59
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Subforum for the Fog
So player forum requests is now open - why not open a thread there.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #60
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

When the British ruled India, they had a sign like this outside some of their regal residences. I think you may find it useful as a model.

This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote