"you know, dude? I really wanted that cup" - Argentinian feelings about Davis Cup - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "you know, dude? I really wanted that cup" - Argentinian feelings about Davis Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
You know... Argentinian fans are one the most passionate fans in all the world. We've been described like that by so many people from so many different countries.
So... I think I can say that.

We're a Football (soccer) nation, and our biggest soccer clubs like Boca, River, San Lorenzo, Racing, Independiente or other ones can bring 40.000 people every weekend to a stadium.
When the National Football Team plays, there are always 60.000 tickets sold in less than a week.

We do care so much to the "National sports". For the most people here, Davis Cup is the most important tennis tournament, because they're not playing for themselves, they're playing for Argentina, for the argentinan flag. (I'll talk about this later).

So many people call us "The Argies"... Here, some people seems to hate that term. In my opinion, I love it. I love the world talking about my country. I love to be regognized.

The "Ussual argentinian" seems to be kinda... egocentric. "He" thinks he's the center of the world and he doesn't care about the other ones.
I think i'm not like that, but I take it the funny way and I like the Argentinian to be recognized as that, it's kinda cool .

When Davis Cup is played, the matches are broadcasted by the Open Television. In the TV channel with the most high rating (Canal Trece).

And those days, the whole country is behind tennis, you'd probably see people who only knows Nalbandian and Del Potro, and who doesn't give a shit about the sport, cheering for Argentina with his soul and his heart.

The Argentinian tennis fan, usually cares about DC too, and those fans are the ones who travel to anywhere in the country if they can, to cheer and scream like an elefant in every single point won by our player (whoever it'll be).

I was talking to my friends via Facebook, and one of them told to me "You know, dude... I really wanted that cup. I really wanted Argentina to win this and to be part of DC history".
He isn't a big tennis fan, he likes tennis, watches some Grand Slam matches, but he doesn't know (for example) how many titles did Delpo, Fed, Monaco or Nalbandian won in 2011.

But, in terms of Davis Cup, we are one.
One only big soul just wanting our country to win, and to be up there. With that Davis Cup in our hands.
We cried when Acasuso lost to Safin and Verdasco, we cried 'till we didn't have any more tears when Rafa screamed that big "VAMOS!".
Delpo cried too... He cried vs Ferrer, he cried during the match vs Nadal. But we don't care.
We lost fighting, we lost fighting like gladiators, like big men.

It's another lost final. But we're not gonna give up.
Vamos Argentina!!!!

Thanks MTF. I'm so happy I can share this with the world. It's just my humble opinion, my love to my country and the feelings DC awakes in eveyone of us.
I hope you can enjoy this.
I'm not Argentinian, but I was rooting for Argentina because I think that Nalbandian really deserves the Davis Cup. I was very touched by Delpo's tears. You have great players.

But Spain is unbeatable on clay. Nothing to regret. Well done.

Congratulations on your attitude. Good luck next year.
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
country flag tennishero

tennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "you know, dude? I really wanted that cup" - Argentinian feelings about Davis Cup

it's unfortunate delpo or nalbandian wern't at their best moment.

next year im sure both will give it their best, and the final will be played at home... 2012 is ours.
tennishero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

viruzzz: Interesting that your friend cared about the Davis Cup; I've always thought that only tennis fans know about it. I was rooting for Argentina too because I'm a Nalbandian fan and I really wanted him to win it. Even though he played badly on the big points, del Potro really put up a great fight against Nadal. I don't understand why some Argentinian fans are slagging him off for not winning; it's clear that he did the best with what he had and I would be proud of him if I were Argentinian. Better luck next year! I really hope you guys win it (before Nalby retires at least).
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)

Last edited by Action Jackson : 12-05-2011 at 12:21 AM.
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #19
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

You guys have a decent draw next year. Assuming Djokovic does not show up. You're almost guaranteed to the finals since the current team is more than capable of defeating Troicki/Tipsarevic. Though the final will be just as tough as this year. You'll have most likely either France or Switzerland. But the nice thing is you'll play them at Argentina so it'll be better than this year's. I think if you don't do it in 2012, you won't see any opportunities till a very long time since Nalbandian's body is banged up from age and injuries.

Good luck
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #20
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

i feel for argentinians really talented but constantly injured!
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Really, thabks.
I think i'm representing my country sharing my opinion.
Also my friends' opinion.

My idea is to show how we feel about this cup. I don't consider DC a player's tournament, it's a nation tournament, a team, a country besides some players.
That is what makes the Olympics, Davis Cup and the Ryder Cup so special. Most players love playing for their Country and being part of a team. Playing Davis Cup is one chance for singles players to be part of a team. I really felt sorry for Delpo, he tried so hard but could not quite overcome the clay. Had this DC been on hard courts, I think Argentina would have won the Cup. Home court advantage, for sure.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
country flag LaFuria

LaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond repute

Nice, thanks for such a positive topic after this.

Hopefully next year the luck is different.
LaFuria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #23
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people, me included, will be rooting for Argentina next year.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #24
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I see there's so much support for Argentina in the DC.
I must confess that it surprises me so much, but it's so damn great!

It really makes me feel good.
The funny fact about DC. (at least, it happens to me). When your country is out, you cheer for your favorite players' countries. In my case, Croatia, Switzerland, France.
But when your country still have chances, you want the "Least powerful" teams to win, so it could be an easier draw for your own country.

Kinda cool.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #25
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I think a lot of people, me included, will be rooting for Argentina next year.
Me too. Could be Argentina's chance again.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Hope Jaite can do some miracles but Delpo is too alone to win DC, Monaco can't help him and Nalby is now too old and damaged. Wish Delpo and David could have been at their peak together..they would have won DC easily but Mar del Plata is certainly heartbreaking, they wasted a fantastic opportunity
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote