Will Federer regain the #1 spot? - Page 76 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Yes, and he will cement his reputation as the best player ever 200 55.56%
No, he will forever be two weeks short of the record 160 44.44%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #1126
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #1127
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the

All doubts put to rest.
“What a fate: to be condemned to work for a firm where the slightest negligence at once gave rise to the gravest suspicion! Were all the employees nothing but a bunch of scoundrels, was there not among them one single loyal devoted man who, had he wasted only an hour or so of the firm's time in the morning, was so tormented by conscience as to be driven out of his mind and actually incapable of leaving his bed?”
- G.S; before his inevitable demise
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #1128
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
No chance in hell.
Probably the old man has only a couple of good years in him. But even then he will not win any slams. Anyone remember WTF 2010? I heard the same comments then than now and look what happened after.
Some time in the near future, people will wonder whether or not Djokovic and/or Nadal will eve win slams again or regaining their respective rankings; the lesson learned is that players such as these can never be counted out, no matter what historical trends predict and historical trends certainly did predict that Federer was highly unlikely to regain the #1 ranking.

From a historic perspective, this is really unprecedented territory for Federer in one respect.

--He regained the #1 for the second time after having lost it for at least 11 months each time. The first time he regained #1, it took him 11 months. The second time, it took him 2 years and 1 month.

Agassi, whose entire career is the most asymetrical of any great (or otherwise) tennis player's first regained the #1 in 1999 after 3 years and 5 months. He then regained it again after have lost it for 2 years and 8 months. It's highly unlikely anyone will ever do this again.

Connors regained the #1 after having lost if for 2 years and 9 months. While it was a great achievement, it was aided by the sudden departure of Borg from the game.

Sampras regained the #1 after having lost it for exactly one year.

What makes Federer's return to #1 rather remarkable is that he is playing in an era with two other dominant players in their or near their primes in Nadal and Djokovic who, the past two years, have had phenomenal years, i.e., Nadal in 2010 and Djokovic in 2011.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #1129
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

he still needs 1 more slam to repel Nadal in GS titles won record, imo (this is where Djoko comes in useful and hopefully Muzza some day)

but the Sampy ranking record is great, it was meant to be

lets hope he ends year #1 as well, he can still gain tons of points up till London/Paris indoor
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #1130
country flag crude oil

crude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond repute

Lolz.

times are tough for nole and wafatards.
crude oil is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #1131
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

This thread was prophecy
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is online now View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #1132
country flag zdravkelja

zdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond reputezdravkelja has a reputation beyond repute

lol at people voting now, after he did it

He will go over 300 weeks
zdravkelja is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #1133
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Golden thread.

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #1134
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
he still needs 1 more slam to repel Nadal in GS titles won record, imo (this is where Djoko comes in useful and hopefully Muzza some day)

but the Sampy ranking record is great, it was meant to be

lets hope he ends year #1 as well, he can still gain tons of points up till London/Paris indoor

I agree with you. The slam record is still not safe. He needs 1 or preferably 2 or even 3 more to make it safe. The Djoker did well last year to stem the Nadal tide. Murray is ready I feel to help the Djoker fight the good fight against the matador.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #1135
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
He certainly did it the hard way.

In all honesty in 2010 after the AO it was a much easier task.
yes, but actually more than the number of weeks record, it's much more remarkable and valuable that he gets back to number 1 at nearly 31 years old

Older than Connors, only less old than Agassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravkelja
it's very possible because the WTF and Bercy give him a huge advantage until they drop off, which means after Bercy.

Djokovic could take the number 1 back after the Olympics, but then with all the points Djokovic will lose, Fed has a big chance to get the number 1 back for a few months until the end of Bercy (see the numbers I posted in the "rankings discussion" thread : http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...1&postcount=72 )
Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #1136
country flag Tennis-Life

Tennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond reputeTennis-Life has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
I agree with you. The slam record is still not safe. He needs 1 or preferably 2 or even 3 more to make it safe. The Djoker did well last year to stem the Nadal tide. Murray is ready I feel to help the Djoker fight the good fight against the matador.
you guys funny , but I certainly agree with that

Couple of Slams would nail his records
Tennis-Life is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #1137
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianSensation View Post
I always believed he would win another slam, but didn't think #1 was within reach. Never been so happy to be proved wrong, and I will never doubt you again Roger
I concur.

I also thought the #1 was an impossibility for him. Especially when Nole 2.0 came to the scene.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #1138
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravkelja View Post
lol at people voting now, after he did it

I voted no last year.

I wished I could change it now lol
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #1139
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Federer should aim for 20, it just sounds like the perfect number to distance himself completely from other greats.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #1140
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
Federer should aim for 20, it just sounds like the perfect number to distance himself completely from other greats.
once at a time, he/we waited 2 years for this one, I think he will aim for once at a time