Will Federer regain the #1 spot? - Page 67 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Yes, and he will cement his reputation as the best player ever 200 55.56%
No, he will forever be two weeks short of the record 160 44.44%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #991
country flag bleu_cheese

bleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the

I think this will be the last tournament before the USO where Federer will be less of a favorite than both of the other two. He'll at least be on equal footing on the grass, and above Nadal at the two US Masters. Of course, any slip up and he can say goodbye to having the number 1 again.

Gasquet-Gulbis-Cilic-Dolgopolov-Stebe-Glasspool
Haase-Del Potro-Wawrinka-Kavcic-Giraldo-Berankis
bleu_cheese is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #992
country flag networthy

networthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu_cheese View Post
I think this will be the last tournament before the USO where Federer will be less of a favorite than both of the other two.
True.

Quote:
He'll at least be on equal footing on the grass, and above Nadal at the two US Masters.
Very true.

Quote:
Of course, any slip up and he can say goodbye to having the number 1 again.
So very true.
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #993
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Those numbers are still pretty good for him... I still think he can do it.
If Federer rechaes RG semis, he would still be 1st in the race... And then the path from Wimbledon to Shanghai could show a great Fed.

IDK... Sharperer needs to show up now.

He needs to serve like a beast and convert every break point he has.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #994
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Conversely, if Nadal and Nole slip up at any of the Majors, and Federer doesn't, they can say goodbye to #1.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #995
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

If RN/ND slip at any majors (especially RN) I think Roger gets a big boost to his chances of finishing the year in front of them in the rankings. I think he'll still do better than RN at the tail-end of the season. Djoker is another story there as he can play indoors if he's not too drained.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #996
country flag nick the greek
Banned!

nick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice Winner View Post
Conversely, if Nadal and Nole slip up at any of the Majors, and Federer doesn't, they can say goodbye to #1.
Muger can only go down,not up.So,you can forget about him being #1 again.Oh well,you'll always have those slams from weak era to be happy about.
nick the greek is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #997
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick the greek View Post
Muger can only go down,not up.So,you can forget about him being #1 again.Oh well,you'll always have those slams from weak era to be happy about.
Actually make a contribution to MTF for once instead of being an airhead.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #998
country flag Fireballer

Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not but be honest he deserves those 2 weeks
Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #999
country flag dazed1

dazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Actually make a contribution to MTF for once instead of being an airhead.
Won't happen lol!
dazed1 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #1000
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Anyways, I hope Roger has a decent showing at RG and Wimbledon. I read on RF.com that if he gets a W and a F and Djoker doesn't reach a F in the channel slams, he nicks #1 by a few points. I can only dream but it would be sweet to see the Fedman finish off Wimbledon as the #1.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Snowwy : 05-24-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Removing reference to deleted post
Looner is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #1001
country flag nick the greek
Banned!

nick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody who really loves the game can't wish the weak era champion to return to #1.
nick the greek is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #1002
country flag comesbackatlast

comesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond reputecomesbackatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick the greek View Post
Anybody who really loves the game can't wish the weak era champion to return to #1.
If the "week era" champion becomes #1 in the "strong era" (supposedly winning slams on the way), then your argument is...?

Chuck Norris Facts in Tennis - "Best of"!
comesbackatlast is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #1003
country flag networthy

networthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond reputenetworthy has a reputation beyond repute

As expected, at the French Open both Nadal and Djokovic once again narrowed Federer's lead in the race to #1 by Shanghai. Federer still leads but his position is vulnerable. Here are the standings, assuming Nadal wins tomorrow:

Federer: 7960 (Basel 500, Paris 1000, WTF 1500, Doha 90, AO 720, DC 25, Rotterdam 500, Dubai 500, IW 1000, Miami 45, Madrid 1000, Rome 360, FO 720)
Nadal: 7080 (WTF 200, Doha 90, AO 1200, IW 360, Miami 360, DC 280, MC 1000, Barcelona 500, Madrid 90, Rome 1000, FO 2000)
Djokovic: 6680 (Basel 180, Paris 180, WTF 200, AO 2000, Dubai 180, IW 360, Miami 1000, MC 600, Madrid 180, Rome 600, FO 1200)

Next stop should be Halle, next week, where both Nadal and Federer are on the entry list.

After that it's Wimbledon, Olympics, Toronto, Cincinnati and USO. Those are all tournaments where Federer, at least on paper, has a good chance to keep the lead. It's now-or-never time for him...
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #1004
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to win a slam or make finals in both IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #1005
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Roger did well to stay ahead of those guys after the clay season. Now, theoretically, Roger has more chances to win Halle/Wimbledon/Olympics/Canada/Cincy/USO than he did on clay.

But we will see, still 6 big events left for Fed's last real chance to get back to #1.

He'll need to win at least one of Wimbledon or USO, this we know for sure.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread