Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top? - Page 44 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Yes, and he will cement his reputation as the best player ever 197 55.18%
No, he will forever be two weeks short of the record 160 44.82%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #646
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the

Of course it Could happen. If Novak gets injured and can't play a Slam Fed could easily regain #1, just as he did when Nadal could not play Wimbledon due to injury. That is how Roger regained #1 when he lost it to Nadal a couple of years ago. Fed could also regain #1 if Novak falls into a slump and under performs, as he still has a lot of points to defend till the USO. Then Fed has lots of points to defend. One never knows!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #647
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_Nadal View Post
If Roger wins a slam he will be number one for atleast 2 weeks or do you think he cant win a slam. He can beat djokovic and djokovic can beat nadal
If you do understand the ranking system, you will realize that Roger would need to win more than one slam to get back to #1 ...one slam is not gonna cut it.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #648
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
If you do understand the ranking system, you will realize that Roger would need to win more than one slam to get back to #1 ...one slam is not gonna cut it.
it's unlikely but possible with only one slam.

As somebody showed you, Fed is already 1755 points ahead of Djokovic for the points after Shanghai thanks to all he did in the end of last year and the beginning of this one (WTF+2MS1000 tournaments+2ATP500 tournaments is 4500 points, more than 2 slams). Add one slam, possibly one final, and he may not be far.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #649
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Hey Mr. Alex. sometimes we can disagree.. that's ok and healthy I think.

I don't think we should completely discount Mr. Federer here. There are instances where a player has gone 2 years without a slam then won after getting on a roll in the non-slam tourneys. And he certainly has done that recently. If others can do it, why not Federer who is after all the current King of Slams in the Open Era? By the way, the most recent example of winning after 2 years is none other than Mr. Djokovic who won in at the AO in in 2008, then didn't win again till AO 2011. Granted, he was a younger player, but still... Sampras won the 2002 US Open after not winning since 2000 Wimbledon.

I would be the last one to put it beyond Federer. Can he do it? Yes. Will he do it? Who the hell knows? It's not easy to win majors. There many players trying to win these big events. I think either major is quite possible for him. Both? Well, if he were to win Wimbledon and possibly the Olympics, would you bet against him at the US Open? I wouldn't. He was stopped there by the smallest of margins the last 2 years. It wouldn't take a major change in his game to change the result.

Respectfully,
masterclass
bud, of course we can agree to disagree. You are a greet poster so it's all good. Don't get me wrong, my intention was not to discount Fed in any way. He is a great champion and I really respect him. I'm not saying it's impossible. Everything is possible, but it's not very likely. Roger nowadays is not as consistent as prime Roger. Yes, Fed can still win tournaments but still ... look what happened in Miami. Rog won IW (great win) and then he lost to Roddick. There are too many players who can beat Rog on any given day and I'm not talking about Djokovic or Nadal.

Djokovic is holding 3 out of 4 slams, many masters etc. and with all respect to Fed for still being able to play great tennis (at his age) he is not getting any younger. It's going to be tough.

I'm just trying to be realistic here and that's why I was a bit sarcastic towards that post that Fed will win W and the USO this year. to me it's more like wishful thinking on behalf of some Fed fans. Fed wasn't even able to beat Tsonga at W last year.

I also don't think that Fed spending another week as #1 is a big deal. what's really is important if he can somehow win another major .

cheers
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #650
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Alex : this thread is not about what is likely or not, of course it's about possibilities, if people make so many calculations it's only because they hope, not they think it's likely. If they really thought it's likely they wouldn't grab at figures to believe.

Quote:
Rog won IW (great win) and then he lost to Roddick. There are too many players who can beat Rog on any given day and I'm not talking about Djokovic or Nadal.
I don't understand the big deal people make about the loss to Roddick : to me it looked a lot like Roddick's win over Nadal in Miami 2010, Roddick stayed together with Fed by serving well and finally took fire for one set. It was obvious that Roddick was very motivated that night and Fed a little bit tired after playing a lot for one month and a half.

And Fed has not always been so comfortable over Roddick contrary to "MTF ostrich/duck debates" : during his 21 wins over him, he won 12 tie-breaks to 1 ! Once he loses a tie-break, he's vulnerable : he lost one tie-break in his 3 losses to Roddick.

In his interview, Djokovic said that he was not surprised because everybody knew that such things like losing to Roddick or Isner when on fire were possible. Even though Isner was even better against Djokovic than Roddick against Fed, yes.

For Fed winning one tournament + losing early next tournament is much better than making one final and a semifinal, he has 85 more points and less tiredness !
Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #651
country flag Federer_28

Federer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fed can get to # 1 without even winning a slam , all he needs to do is make 2 slams finals and a semi, win 2 more 1000 and its pretty much a done deal .

just what I mentioned would gain him 3000 ranking points to his current total and would bring him to 12000 .

I dont see Djokovic defending both wimbledon and US open and I dont see him defending all those 1000 series.
Federer_28 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #652
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
bud, of course we can agree to disagree. You are a greet poster so it's all good. Don't get me wrong, my intention was not to discount Fed in any way. He is a great champion and I really respect him. I'm not saying it's impossible. Everything is possible, but it's not very likely. Roger nowadays is not as consistent as prime Roger. Yes, Fed can still win tournaments but still ... look what happened in Miami. Rog won IW (great win) and then he lost to Roddick. There are too many players who can beat Rog on any given day and I'm not talking about Djokovic or Nadal.

Djokovic is holding 3 out of 4 slams, many masters etc. and with all respect to Fed for still being able to play great tennis (at his age) he is not getting any younger. It's going to be tough.

I'm just trying to be realistic here and that's why I was a bit sarcastic towards that post that Fed will win W and the USO this year. to me it's more like wishful thinking on behalf of some Fed fans. Fed wasn't even able to beat Tsonga at W last year.

I also don't think that Fed spending another week as #1 is a big deal. what's really is important if he can somehow win another major .

cheers
All good Mr. Alex Given the current point situation, it's difficult to say who will be end of year #1. Right now, Djokovic stands clearly as #1. It's a bit of a curse (albeit a nice one) that Mr. Djokovic did so well last year. He has so much to defend this year. But, we have to consider Mr. Djokovic has an advantage having already put the AO in the bag. I think he only needs to win 1 more major somewhere to ensure himself #1 for the year, whereas I think Nadal and Federer might need 2 to ensure it.

It's also dependent on how far Djokovic goes in the majors. If he reaches the final for the first time at Roland Garros, Djokovic gains 480 points, a win would give him +1280. At either Wimbledon or the US Open, he would only stand to lose 800 if reaching the final's there. I feel that Federer has to win at least 1 to just be in the hunt, even if theoretically possible to get there without one. Nadal probably RG + 1 other. And one never knows if a player outside the top 3 may jump up and get on a roll. That's why it's too early for any of the players to seriously think about end of the year #1 yet. There's much too much to do yet. We casual observers can debate it all in fun of course

P.S. Hope you got to dig into some Kipling...

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #653
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Alex : this thread is not about what is likely or not, of course it's about possibilities, if people make so many calculations it's only because they hope, not they think it's likely. If they really thought it's likely they wouldn't grab at figures to believe.

I don't understand the big deal people make about the loss to Roddick : to me it looked a lot like Roddick's win over Nadal in Miami 2010, Roddick stayed together with Fed by serving well and finally took fire for one set. It was obvious that Roddick was very motivated that night and Fed a little bit tired after playing a lot for one month and a half.

And Fed has not always been so comfortable over Roddick contrary to "MTF ostrich/duck debates" : during his 21 wins over him, he won 12 tie-breaks to 1 ! Once he loses a tie-break, he's vulnerable : he lost one tie-break in his 3 losses to Roddick.

In his interview, Djokovic said that he was not surprised because everybody knew that such things like losing to Roddick or Isner when on fire were possible. Even though Isner was even better against Djokovic than Roddick against Fed, yes.

For Fed winning one tournament + losing early next tournament is much better than making one final and a semifinal, he has 85 more points and less tiredness !
Re: Roddick and Miami, I have to agree with Mr. Duong. I'm sure Mr. Federer was ecstatic just winning Indian Wells out of the 2 slowest condition hard court Masters events. Roddick was his most dangerous opponent through to the QF of Miami. He's a former #1 (2003), and capable of throwing in a good performance for a single match if motivated. And Federer seems to motivate him, even if he rarely wins . He did give a very good performance, and Federer was rather listless in my opinion, especially in the first set, so Federer gets some extra rest in preparation for the next big part of the season.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #654
country flag Alex999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer_28 View Post
Fed can get to # 1 without even winning a slam , all he needs to do is make 2 slams finals and a semi, win 2 more 1000 and its pretty much a done deal .

just what I mentioned would gain him 3000 ranking points to his current total and would bring him to 12000 .

I dont see Djokovic defending both wimbledon and US open and I dont see him defending all those 1000 series.
well, if you don't see it that's fine with me. suit yourself . I have really nothing to add here. I understand that Fed fans want that record to be broken ... I don't see it... but it's sport. We all want the best for our fav. players. it's all good
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #655
country flag Federer_28

Federer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer_28 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well, if you don't see it that's fine with me. suit yourself . I have really nothing to add here. I understand that Fed fans want that record to be broken ... I don't see it... but it's sport. We all want the best for our fav. players. it's all good
Fed can get to # 1 without winning a major .

The only question is , will he make it .

those are 2 different things.
You mentioned its not possible for Fed to reach # 1 without winning a Major , in Theory he can .
so you're the one who doesn't understand the rankings
Federer_28 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #656
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

In theory anything is possible. But you expect Fed to do what he didn't do in the last two years
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #657
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

problem is if Fed isnt winning a major then its 99.9% sure Nadal or Nole won it

and if they 2 keep winning them then Fed will not get to #1
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #658
country flag Alex999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer_28 View Post
Fed can get to # 1 without winning a major .

The only question is , will he make it .

those are 2 different things.
You mentioned its not possible for Fed to reach # 1 without winning a Major , in Theory he can .
so you're the one who doesn't understand the rankings

no, what I said is that I didn't think that Fed could get back to #1 by winning only one major. and yes, theoretically everything is possible. but, but, but ...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #659
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

well he had an outside chance but R32 in Miami and not playing Monte Carlo have well and truly put the Kibosh on that
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #660
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
well he had an outside chance but R32 in Miami and not playing Monte Carlo have well and truly put the Kibosh on that
the key-period of this year for all the top-players, which will be very long this year, will be between Roland-Garros and the US Open,

and it's even more the case for Federer than for the other ones because Nadal and Djokovic have put a priority on clay this year, and Federer being old needs to prioritize his schedule more.

Federer desperately needs to be quite fresh in that summer period, and contrary to previous years he will not be able to have a break after Wimbledon because of the Olympics.

In Miami, the ultra-slow hardcourt championship, where Fed has never been at ease, the hopes were very slim in reality.

And Monte-Carlo, the slowest claycourt MS1000 tournament, is fit for a big duel between Nadal and Djokovic, it was not for Fed.

Not spending energy and preparing for summer during that moment is the best Fed can do.