Will Federer regain the #1 spot? - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Yes, and he will cement his reputation as the best player ever 200 55.56%
No, he will forever be two weeks short of the record 160 44.44%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #196
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer become number 1 again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy in sf View Post
Sorry but Federer has passed his prime and from now on the competition gets harder for him not easier. Also as he gets beaten more often even the lower ranked guys will have more confidence against him because they see that he is not unbeatable. No matter what happens from now on Fed is already considered the GOAT by most but even the GOAT can only be on top for so long and he's been on top for a very long time now. I just don't see him regaining #1.
Are you kidding? The new generation is a collection of gutless clowns. They'll never beat Olderer until the day he retires.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #197
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Navratilova said he would never be N°1 again...but her comments offensed his majesty who replied that he won Master
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #198
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbyfan View Post
Navratilova said he would never be N°1 again...but her comments offensed his majesty who replied that he won Master
this question was asked by a journalist, not by Martina, and came after another one which was about him "sinking", etc. ... I'm impressed how the journalists actually want to bury him now, that he's finished, done, he has lost all motivation (read Bodo), etc :

what's the pleasure about burying a man ?
what's the journalist's honor or "feeling of job done" for that ?

Bodo said that once a journalist questioned Sampras's sincerity when he said that he thought he could still win a slam : he says that Sampras wanted to punch the journalist out (and he says Fed is too calm comparing to that)

And yes he won another grand slam. Because life and sport are like that : it's not all or nothing, it's not the favorite who always wins, and the other ones who are spectators, it's uncertainty. And it's challengers having some hope to make better.

I really wonder : aren't there other topics than Federer in tennis ?

once they have buried him, what are they going to talk about ?

I'm impressed about all that, the topic now should be "Nadal or Djokovic" but ... no it seems
Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #199
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Let the wise men speak : Andy Roddick

Quote:
He would love to win another Grand Slam, and would love to be No. 1 in the world, but insists he can be equally happy at No. 8.

“I measure success with my own scope now,” he said. “I can sleep very comfortably as long as I know that I’ve maxed out, done everything I possibly can to win a match. I still get really pissed when I lose, but if I know I tried my best, I’m ok with that. I’m older now, and see things different. I stopped worrying about other people’s scopes when I realized, ‘Wait a minute, I’m No. 3 in the world and they’re bagging on me.”

“It seems when you become a top player, when you play well, everybody gets really excited; when you play badly, they’re ready to kind of put you away quickly . I guess that makes a better story.”

Fed about him : “Considering everybody is always so negative around him, especially in terms of the press, I think he knows what he achieved. The players know it, too, and that’s why he’s so respected. His career is not over yet.”
Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/2...ns-secure.html

Roddick about Fed this week (end of the video) :

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-03-23/6635.php

Quote:
« That’s ridiculous
« Whoever wants to criticize Roger for his tennis right now had better be very good at his job – very good »
Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #200
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
this question was asked by a journalist, not by Martina, and came after another one which was about him "sinking", etc. ... I'm impressed how the journalists actually want to bury him now, that he's finished, done, he has lost all motivation (read Bodo), etc :

what's the pleasure about burying a man ?
what's the journalist's honor or "feeling of job done" for that ?

Bodo said that once a journalist questioned Sampras's sincerity when he said that he thought he could still win a slam : he says that Sampras wanted to punch the journalist out (and he says Fed is too calm comparing to that)

And yes he won another grand slam. Because life and sport are like that : it's not all or nothing, it's not the favorite who always wins, and the other ones who are spectators, it's uncertainty. And it's challengers having some hope to make better.

I really wonder : aren't there other topics than Federer in tennis ?

once they have buried him, what are they going to talk about ?

I'm impressed about all that, the topic now should be "Nadal or Djokovic" but ... no it seems
Its nothing personal against federer but happens to ALL great sporting atheletes & famous individuals,it happen to Mc enroe/borg/wilander/sampras etc so fed is no exception,, all these players are victims of their own success/Prime. When they are finished with fed,they will start on nadull etc.Especially if Novak takes him out in a clay event.

THE GREAT TACTICAL RIVALRY OF THE OPEN ERA
FEDERER 10 VS TONI NADAL 20
ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
RAPHEAL NADULL,A PRETTY FACE & MUSCLE
NOTHING MORE

Fed 2 nadull 13 fed is nadull CLAY TURKEY. THE REAL ERA 2003-2010.
luie is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #201
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

federer isnt losing any sleep over reaching number 1 again

Quote:
Federer Unfazed By World No. 3 Ranking; Praises Djokovic
Miami, USA
by James Buddell

© Getty Images
Roger Federer won back-to-back Sony Ericsson Open titles in 2005-2006.
Roger Federer insists he doesn't mind being No. 3 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings.

Speaking ahead of the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami on Wednesday, the Swiss said, "I still think I've had a great six months. I feel like I'm playing really good tennis, and right now Novak [Djokovic] is just a bit better than the rest. And that's okay.

"I've gone through phases like this on multiple occasions with Rafa [Nadal], with [Andy] Murray, with even [Andre] Agassi and [Lleyton] Hewitt and [Andy] Roddick and so forth. It's just something that's part of the game.

"I never expected myself to dominate for 15 years. I think at the top right now I think actually everybody is playing well."

Federer has a 36-10 record at Crandon Park, the venue of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament, picking up the Indian Wells-Miami title double in 2005 and 2006. Only six players in history have achieved the feat.

FedEx Reliability Zone: Masters Of The Court

"I guess it's hard to win back-to-back [ATP World Tour] Masters 1000s in general because you have a lot of good players in the early rounds," said Federer. "You have no excuse not having had enough time off, because there is enough time so you actually can get ready. It just seems like I guess here and in Indian Wells usually everybody is playing pretty well, because the season is underway for a couple of months.

"Everybody can play on hard courts, so it's not really a surface that favours a particular playing style. The South Americans have their chance, like the Europeans and the Americans have and so forth. So I think it's pretty straight forward, and that's why I think they're tough to win back-to-back.

"But then again, if you're hot, like Novak at the moment, or me back a few years ago when I won back-to-back Indian Wells and Miami, you could do it. Just because the draw falls into place, you are playing well, you are not thinking too much, and you are very just better than the rest at the moment."

Federer is scheduled to meet either Fabio Fognini or Radek Stepanek in the Miami second round.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...-Rankings.aspx
Old 04-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #202
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

losing in straights to pocahontas on an hardcourt outdoors again doesn't seem like a good sign
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #203
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Will Federer become number 1 again?
Nope. Sorry. With Del Po back, Novak playing like a monster, and Nadal getting better, Federer is only going to drop

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #204
country flag Jaz

Jaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Even for a Federer fan, I just can't see that consistency coming back.
Jaz is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #205
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
No.

Even for a Federer fan, I just can't see that consistency coming back.
Fed is not getting any younger. Every year, he will drop some more. I am a big Fed fan but you can't beat age. It will catch up to Nadal too.

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #206
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

i think it's safe to say now that he won't.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #207
country flag Zagor

Zagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah,it's very doubtful he'll ever go back to #1 spot but I still honestly believe he has a slam or two left in him,time will tell if I'm right about that.
Zagor is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #208
country flag Hingisova

Hingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond reputeHingisova has a reputation beyond repute

When you've been to the top as long as Roger has..when you have become the "greatest" player to ever play tennis, when you're swimming with trophies, money, fame and fortune there comes a time when you have got to fall...down to #3, then 4,5,6 and probably retirement. At 30, like in all sports, it becomes more difficult to compete mainly as in Roger's case...motivation for one thing..playing with his twin daughters is likely more pleasurable than beating his opponent on the other side of the net at the moment..the man has amassed more titles, more grandslams than anybody else..he demands our outmost respect for what he has accomplished in the game..a terrific ambassador for tennis and the sport...he has become "normal" his dwindling skills prove it...will his legacy ever be surpassed? That would be a better question. My vote is "no"...so speculation about future accomplishments as a #1 contender is mute...of course not...any athlete whose been to the "top" knows its all downhill from now on...but what a glorious "ride" he had!!

Hingisova
Hingisova is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #209
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

It will be very very unlikely and it does not appear to me that he will be able to reach number one again. Nadal will dominate as usual Monte Carlo and Roland, Novak will hang in tough as well on clay. However nothing in life is impossible, but Roger reaching number one seems very improbable.
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #210
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is: very, very unlikely, unless both Rafa and Djoko are suddenly found with their legs and arms falling off.
I'm not counting on that to happen (and for the trolls ready to bash me for saying this, here's the Disclaimer: I. Do. NOT. Want. Anything. Like. That. To. Happen. Either. )

I was very very surprised to see a lot of hatred still directed to Rafa on certain pro-Federer websites. Even rooting for Djoko against Nadal at IW for this reason.
Apparently those folks don't seem to understand that in order to regain the #1 position on the ATP ranking list, the first job to do is... regain position #2.
Hmmm?

hee hee, guess I´m on the Fedtard Shitlist right now, just as much as I´ve been on the Rafatard Shitlist for at least three years by now. Vamos! Hopp!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 04-03-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread