Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top? - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Yes, and he will cement his reputation as the best player ever 199 55.43%
No, he will forever be two weeks short of the record 160 44.57%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #181
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer become number 1 again?

that wasn't the full quote, though. this is:

Quote:
Q. Off of the question he just asked, one of the criticisms of you came recently from Martina Navratilova saying that she doubted whether you'd be back at the level of three or four years ago or back at No. 1. The fact it's coming from her, does that register at all for you?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure. You'd rather hear other things, you know. Maybe she missed the London World Tour Finals. I don't know. Maybe she was somewhere else climbing Kilimanjaro. I don't know. I love her. Look, I think she's been an inspiration to my wife and I always love seeing her, but if you had the microphone in front of you and you get a negative question, you get dragged into it. You have to answer it. So that's what happens. And she's in front of the microphone a lot of times, you know, like other experts, as well, and eventually you can't just say only good things. You have to also say more negative things. Then you pick up on these, and next thing you know it's like I'm being asked and then I have to answer it, which is unfortunate. I have no problem with Martina. She's allowed to say.
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #182
country flag YouCantBeSerious

YouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond reputeYouCantBeSerious has a reputation beyond repute

No time to read 11 pages of responses here but without injuries or major upsets in early rounds of his rivals it will be difficult. That said however I feel he can still win grand slam titles. Would anyone be shocked if he found top form this summer and won Wimbledon and the U.S. Open? I don't feel a player should retire when he is still capable of winning majors.
YouCantBeSerious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #183
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #184
country flag Mungo

Mungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is he became no.3 again, which is good for the game.
Mungo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 AM   #185
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

Fed's got a lot left, hasn't bombed out early at any tournaments and has the most points since Toronto.
He just recently said he'll play better than he has also, well on that note we'll just have to see. There are areas he can improve, the serve is one area that can be improved and just needs to be worked on some. He lost some points because of it to Nole.

He's still pretty motivated and will be working hard.

Whether it's age, injuries or just not hitting the practice courts it doesn't matter.

He has shown a high level, higher than anyone else recently except Nole.
Don't expect him to lay down anytime soon.

It's not over yet, you can bet on it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #186
country flag Silvester

Silvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond reputeSilvester has a reputation beyond repute

I think his best shot is if he would have defended his AO title, but now i'm not so sure anymore. He would need to win Wimby & USO most likely
Silvester is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #187
country flag nsidhan

nsidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond reputensidhan has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see Roger win 2 more slams...both Wimbledon. That's it!
nsidhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #188
country flag Xristos

Xristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond reputeXristos has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it.
Pick-A-Winner (PAW) #33 2014 Gerry Weber Open WINNER
Xristos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #189
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

I think his reign is truly over.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #190
BIGMARAT

BIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond repute

No and it really doesnt matter.
He's getting older and his days at the top is really over.
But I wont count him out at wimbledon just yet to add more grandslam.
BIGMARAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #191
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
It will interesting to see if Djokovic can do to Federer and Nadal what Lendl did to McEnroe and Connors 25 years ago; dominate with physical strength and condition and commitment and take over the number 1 spot for a long time.
I've thought this way a long time ago : Djokovic incarnating Lendl, Fed Borg, Nadal McEnroe
... except that here McEnroe was an incarnation of a beautiful genious tennis whereas Nadal is an incarnation of physical strength in my eyes : Nadal may be more fragile than Djokovic in the end, but anyway he's much stronger physically than Nole.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #192
country flag Blackbriar
Banned!

Blackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Sampras, so i hope it will happen just once. But i'm not confident.
Blackbriar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #193
country flag guy in sf

guy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond reputeguy in sf has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but Federer has passed his prime and from now on the competition gets harder for him not easier. Also as he gets beaten more often even the lower ranked guys will have more confidence against him because they see that he is not unbeatable. No matter what happens from now on Fed is already considered the GOAT by most but even the GOAT can only be on top for so long and he's been on top for a very long time now. I just don't see him regaining #1.
guy in sf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #194
country flag siffleanimaux

siffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond repute

I just want him back at World No. 1 to overtake Sampras in weeks at No. 1. Otherwise, I hope Djoker takes it.
siffleanimaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 AM   #195
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

He most definitely will not! Nadal and Djokovic are clearly better on clay and most hard courts events. The trend is and will continue to be negative for Rogie.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote