The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #256
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Seingeist bad repped me for giving my opinion. Intolerance isn't cute.

I didn't even say shit about his religious beliefs. Or say God is unreal, or stereotype all Christians as idiots and immoral. If you create a thread, expect views you may not agree with, or don't start it at all.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #257
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Seingeist bad repped me for giving my opinion. Intolerance isn't cute.

I didn't even say shit about his religious beliefs. Or say God is unreal, or stereotype all Christians as idiots and immoral. If you create a thread, expect views you may not agree with, or don't start it at all.
He bad repped me too Worst religious fanatic on this site by far

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #258
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
You said it yourself already.
My main problem is about 'religious' folks claming to have 'higher morals', which is complete rubbish and which I see happening all too often.

You obviously have no idea at all about my country. I consider this a bit of an insult, to be honest.
It only happened to me once, when a friend's wife asserted at dinner that believers are just better people. Didn't bother me.

I know a little about Holland and was brought up an Orangeman. But I don't see the insult, I was assuming Holland was at the forefront of tolerance. Why would that insult you?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #259
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Well, if you don't experience it I guess it must not exist. Go through the links I provided to you. Do you live in the southern states?

By the way, you do realise that Theo van Gogh was murdered in Holland, right?
I don't live in any states and I don't think Sunset of Age does either, so it would be hard to be harassed by people there.

van Gogh's murder had nothing to do with atheism, as far as I know.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #260
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
My liking Pink Floyd music, Hitchcock's films, Rod Laver's style is subjective truth. No scientific theory can describe it.

An artist's creativity is subjective truth.

I've explained it in the previous post. Reason is not everything in life. So thinking it is is thinking it's sacred.

By the way, in the French language, the 'supernatural' does not appear in the definition of 'superstition'. Hence if your post was corrected. The English language is Newspeak-like (meaning reduction). Wouldn't surprise me.

I've always implied here that what was frightening to me was the belief that everything in life was rational and that irrationality should be wiped off (which means Art, Freedom, Love - or Hate-, Creativity, Beauty, etc.). Why should such blind faith in Science deserve such respect after all the harm done.

Some of these visionaries were deist - but anti-Christian - like Robespierre, for example.

If I were to choose between a Deist with such fanatical belief in Science and an atheist "derationalist" (like Nietzsche), I'll choose the latter without the shadow of a doubt, even if they're inconsistent. I haven't seen much of that on this thread.

By the way, it seems that atheist are more frightened than believers on this thread.

I know. There's always a bypass anyway. While for the reverse thing, there's none, despite the facts.

Inquisition never reached France. And you'd better read my whole alinea instead of singling out every sentence.

I was sure the verb 'invent' would've been the problem. You link Science with Freedom, do you? I'm telling you that it's nonsensical.

Between 1917 and 1991 in Russia, for starter.
You don't get it. Yes, atheists have done horrible things. There is no connection between atheism and those things, though. It's like blaming a murder on someone's belief that unicorns don't exist. Religious beliefs have behavioural consequences because they entail far more than just the belief in a deity.
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #261
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I don't live in any states and I don't think Sunset of Age does either, so it would be hard to be harassed by people there.

van Gogh's murder had nothing to do with atheism, as far as I know.
It had to do with an atheist speaking out against Islam.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #262
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
My liking Pink Floyd music, Hitchcock's films, Rod Laver's style is subjective truth. No scientific theory can describe it.

An artist's creativity is subjective truth.

That isn't truth. That is taste.

Things are either true or not. In other words, it is true that you like Hitchcock films. That isn't subjective truth. It is simply truth. As they say, you can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #263
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

“Subjective truth” seems a bit of an oxymoron.

I can’t grasp that concept. Truth something that is a verifiable fact. The rest is belief, supposition etc.

I guess I can understand it a little bit in that someone might be testifying truthfully although inaccurately in that the person thinks what he is saying is true, but is mistaken in what he saw or experienced.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #264
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
“Subjective truth” seems a bit of an oxymoron.

I can’t grasp that concept. Truth something that is a verifiable fact. The rest is belief, supposition etc.

I guess I can understand it a little bit in that someone might be testifying truthfully although inaccurately in that the person thinks what he is saying is true, but is mistaken in what he saw or experienced.
Echoes is confusing truth and opinion, I believe. It's a binary concept.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #265
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Aloimeh. This is comedy gold.

Outraged words? I think you understated the nature of the words that you chose to use in that post of yours.

I don't agree with what Sunset claims to do, but I definitely don't think it's as bad as what you wrote, precisely because of the standards to which you hold yourself and the fact that you call yourself a Christian. This may be news to you, but to a non-believer like me who knows nothing about Christianity apart from the "gentle, sweet and mild image" that my friends present to me, a person who claims to be Christian shouldn't be sprouting the kind of vile hatred - yes, it is hatred - that you directed at Sunset. What's this thing about turning the other cheek? I know nothing about Christianity, so please educate me.
Why don't you read what Jesus did in the Temple with the money changers. Not a lot of cheek-turning there. Destroying scripture is as low as it can get.

I'm not here to educate you. Ask your friends about Jesus. Or read the Gospels. He demands total obedience, not this wishy-washy Christianity in vogue nowadays.

Quote:
It's not Christianity according to you. My boyfriend doesn't think my best friend's version of Christianity is Christianity. So what? They both believe in the same God, as do you. And you know what? I way prefer their saccharine version of Christianity than what you've portrayed it to be in this thread and on this forum.
The only "version" that counts is the one that's backed up by scripture. Otherwise it's just whatever anyone pleases. Truth cannot be so fickle.

Quote:
Sure. But Catholicism is a form of Christianity, is it not?

I don't know anything about Christianity except for some random hymns and information that I picked up from my friends. Catholics and Christians, however, essentially (note this word) believe in the same God, do they not?
No, it isn't. It's false Christianity posing as the real thing. It's in many ways more dangerously deceptive than a crazy cult.

Quote:
Don't worry, it's not just Christianity that I'm not convinced of. I grew up in an extended family that practises a form of Taoism. I don't believe that either.
What makes you think I care?

Quote:
I can definitely accept that you're an intelligent person. This is why it befuddles me, to say the least, that you're capable of saying the things that you do. See, I don't have a problem with your faith; why should I? It's none of my business and what you choose to believe doesn't affect me one bit. It does agitate me, however, when I see people like you directing hatred and judgment towards those that don't share your belief system. This is my fundamental problem with religious people, no matter of what faith. It breeds intolerance, which leads me to this...

Pretty much speaks for itself, does it not?
What a morass of cliches. "Belief system," my own business, judgment, intolerance blablabla...

Hate means not telling hell-bound sinners they're going to hell and instead deluding them that it's all OK. It's not my "hate" that they need to deal with, it's God's wrath against unrepentant sinners.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)

Last edited by Aloimeh : 11-29-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Aloimeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #266
country flag Aloimeh

Aloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond reputeAloimeh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Brainwashed.. you know you've been brainwashed when you blindly believe what you're taught without ever stopping to wonder whether something else might be right.. maybe what you've been told is incorrect. Hey, much of what the bible or other religious scriptures say might be true for all I know, but likely untrue due to it just being words without evidence, for all we know the life you lead is pot luck and at the end regardless of how you were as a person everyone has the same fate.. the point is, being so sure about things that can't be proven apart from by pages written by people - strangers even.. is a bit demented.. you can try arguing about it all day, but there's nothing to argue about.. whether it ends up being true or not, being so sure is idiotic.

Not as if you'd blindly trust some random hobo who told you rats were all powerful.. yet you see people claiming they know what God wants of us, they know he/she/it exists, they know the Bible/Quran/Harry Potter speaks the truth and must be adhered to otherwise we're all going to some place that sounds eerily similar to what is said in fairy tales.

One thing about the bible and religion though.. this blind belief may have caused death and suffering, but we would most likely not be as safe as we even are today in the world without religion. Even though I'm pretty sure it's all bullshit myself, I would never want to see a world without religion as a peaceholder. Law and science can only hold up society for so long until things come crashing down around us.. without people having some hope in there being a blessing for the righteous believers after death, rather than the most likely eventuality of just rotting in the ground regardless of what tripe you are told is the truth, crime would be high.. there would be nothing to contain the religious nutters without religion.. they would just be nutters.

Many folk have and will prevent themselves from descending into crime and corruption due to the one thing we most adhere to: fear. In fact the brainwashing begins with fear, the act of believing in God and what he/she apparently told us is a great way to control us and our natural evils.. I suppose they figured that out as we developed and became more aware of our violent tendencies.
A lot of fluff here, can't spend all day processing it. The gist seems to be that I'm brainwashed. Well, I'm not. So you can present your evidence that I'm brainwashed and we can go from there. The fact that my beliefs are rigid and unpopular doesn't mean that I'm brainwashed. Most of the people posting here, however, are brainwashed about what constitutes logical reasoning, what constitutes "hatred," what Christianity is all about, etc.

You can bet Djokovic's mom just screamed "Another king is dead" right about now - in the remotest corner - of her bathroom - followed by "The other one is buried." (from tennisplanet.me, following Madrid 2011 Djokovic d. Nadal 7-5 6-4)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #267
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Your constant pointing fingers left, right and center would make you a decent apprentice for an inquisitor. You're a classic case of holier than thou attitude, what on Earth gives you the right to behave like that? Or to borrow your words, don't you have any sense of measure...?
A holier than thou attitude implies that I say I am better than others. I never said that I was better than others, only that Jesus Christ is better than the other alternatives.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #268
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
good, at least you realize that the Old Testament style is bad to say the least, even though you "accept" it because you are too brainwashed and hasn't grown up from scary childish visions of Hell to judge it for what it is and act accordingly
So are you saying that everything that isn't palatable cannot be true? By your account death shouldn't be real either, but it is. If God saw fit to punish the Canaanites as He did, well...that's up to Him. He is the Lord, not I.

Quote:
funny how people keep attacking Saudi Arabia whenever they feel like attacking me, as if they are proving anything against me by doing that
It's no worse than the many instances of ethnic baiting you've engaged in.

Quote:
it's a fact that God often exacted his judgement using other people in the Bible regardless of them being sinners or not, so I thought since you are so literal and adherent to it you might as well do what pleases the God of the Bible
I do not transpose history about others to myself in the present.

Quote:
it all down to your beliefs, the God of Islam would punish you in exactly the same way you think your God will punish Muslims, given there is no absolute proof on either side and that both positions require blind faith, there's a very good chance you will be condemned to hell yourself if a God did exist
Except that Jesus was morally perfect - by the Gospel accounts, and no contrary information has been presented by secular or Jewish sources - whereas Mohammed was a lying, pedophile, murderer. So Islam falls flat on its face from it's very inception.

Quote:
if a supposed God truly endorsed you as a fine and good believer, he is not a god worthy of love let alone worship, let's not get started on a God that endorses the OT
How about you stop talking about me and deal instead with what's in the Bible and what it says about you?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #269
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
Have you ever set foot inside a Catholic church?
Yes, two funerals and a wedding.

The wedding was one of the most horrific experiences of my life, especially the Mary Queen of Heaven abomination.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #270
country flag Aloimeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Why is faith a virtue? Why do people like Aloimeh think blindly believing in a supernatural Kim Jong-Il is not only acceptable, but desirable and praiseworthy? In fact, they go further than that. They say faith is the only thing that matters, after all.

Why? Why??? What is so admirable about blind faith? Humankind has progressed incredibly in an incredibly short period of time. Societies, at least the Western ones, are now better, fairer, safer, freer. And they have not achieved that thanks to faith, belief or unfounded superstitions. They have achieved that through logic, rational thinking and a scientific, empirical approach to life. That is a fact, examples of that are all around us. We know that that approach works, we know it is the way to go, we have seen its fruits and fully understand and share its predicament.

Yet the religious would make us believe an approach that is the exact opposite of that, an approach based on unfounded, unsupported belief and blind faith is not only commendable, but the most commendable of all human attitudes!

I for one do not want to cherish a God that values my believing in him in the lack of any shred of evidence over my integrity and goodness as a person.
Faith is a deep expression of love and trust, is it not? I never said that faith is all that matters or that it's a blind faith. It isn't. It's experiential. Those of us who believe have enough evidence to believe in God - whether because of moral law, personal sense of sin and need for repentance, injustice that needs vengeance, the creation, prophecy in scripture, etc.

I don't think reason is wrong. I just don't think there's anything about reason that tells us that it's the only approach to knowledge. Revelation is another - equally powerful and arguably more efficient - means of coming-to-know. The fact is that most of what I know in life was revealed to me by other people (parents, teachers, friends, etc.) or written sources (internet, books, etc.). There are very few things I know of my own accord, which would be things like my current research project and unique observations I may make of the world. This form of knowledge is extremely narrow and limited and is hardly as methodical as you would make it out to be.

You have no integrity or goodness in you. None of us do. All are evil and need to salvation from God. Stop the self-righteousness, the posturing, and the lies.