The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #181
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
For a moment I was tempted to respond to Habibko's empty ramblings too but I refrained. His main goal is to ridicule christianity and there's not much to do about that really.
empty ramblings? I've asked plenty of direct questions here and none got answered, come up with a good answer for a start, this will go a long way in defending Christinity

I really don't understand how any decent person (this doesn't include someone like Aloimeh) could defend the God of the OT, let alone worship him

the truth is most believers don't actually worship him, they turn a blind eye on all the wrong parts in the ancient text and focus on Jesus meek and mild, for different reasons they are not courageous enough to face the reality of life as it is, and prefer to live in the delusion of their imaginary friend that answers all their wishes
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #182
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
To be fair, he only said that we don't need religion to explain how the world works and that things previously ascribed to Gods or explained by religion have been explained by science.

Nothing wrong with that
He said we no longer need God to explain the universe - which indicates science pretty much covers everything. (Which is far from true.)
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #183
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
empty ramblings? I've asked plenty of direct questions here and none got answered, come up with a good answer for a start, this will go a long way in defending Christinity

I really don't understand how any decent person (this doesn't include someone like Aloimeh) could defend the God of the OT, let alone worship him

the truth is most believers don't actually worship him, they turn a blind eye on all the wrong parts in the ancient text and focus on Jesus meek and mild, for different reasons they are not courageous enough to face the reality of life as it is, and prefer to live in the delusion of their imaginary friend that answers all their wishes
And this is the reason I didn't respond to you seriously. You show no respect at all towards me or my religion yet you still expect me to treat you with respect. I've seen this so many times, tired of it.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Old 11-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #184
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Who the hell says science has an answer for everything? Who?? I'll tell you who: religious people and people who epically fail to understand what the scientific approach is all about. Scientists are the first to say they don't have an answer for everything. Not yet, at least. They are happy to say "I don't know". They are not scared of ignorance, they see it as a fascinating and invigorating challenge. It is because of people with that mentality that you and me are living such a comfortable life with all possible commodities.

The pool of scientific knowledge doubles every few years. There is always less and less things we don't know. We might still don't know some things, and perhaps we'll never be able to know everything. While an apparently instinctive human reaction, trying to give an answer to everything is very illogical, limited and limiting approach.

The way to address a gap in knowledge is by saying "we don't know/understand this, therefore we'll keep investigating, experimenting, trying to work it out", certainly not by going "we don't know/understand this, but we MUST have an answer for this, and we must have it NOW, therefore we'll go with the particular supernatural explanation we fancy, which will most probably be the one we were brought up in".

As has already been said, there are a vast amount of things that used to be unexplainable and impossible to understand in the past and are now perfectly explained by science. When approaching unexplained things, what is more logical, then: to conclude that a supernatural being must exist to account for them, or that they will one day be explained by findings achieved through scientific analysis, like all others before?
Great post.

Quote:
He said we no longer need God to explain the universe - which indicates science pretty much covers everything. (Which is far from true.)
The post I alluded to, he said "our world". Depends on how you interpret things I guess .
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #185
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

*useless thread*
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #186
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wait, I think we understand differently the sentence "science has an answer for everything". I see it as meaning "science has not yet explained everything" and you see it as meaning "science can explain everything".

As I said, I don't see why there is reason to think science can't one day have an explanation for the things it hasn't explained yet.

Quote:
And this is the reason I didn't respond to you seriously. You show no respect at all towards me or my religion yet you still expect me to treat you with respect. I've seen this so many times, tired of it.
Where has he treated you with lack of respect?

As to your religion, why is it worthy of so much respect? If this were a discussion about political issues and he criticised your political ideas and stance with the same vehemence he's criticised your religion, I doubt you'd jumped and said he wasn't showing "no respect at all towards you or your political stance". Why is religion any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassquet View Post
*useless thread*
Useless post(er).

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #187
country flag Orka_n

Quote:
Wait, I think we understand differently the sentence "science has an answer for everything". I see it as meaning "science has not yet explained everything" and you see it as meaning "science can explain everything".

As I said, I don't see why there is reason to think science can't one day have an explanation for the things it hasn't explained yet.
I do. I doubt that science will ever be able to explain WHY things work in a certain way, why there even exists a universe and physical laws etc. Other than that I get what you mean.
Quote:
Where has he treated you with lack of respect?

As to your religion, why is it worthy of so much respect? If this were a discussion about political issues and he criticised your political ideas and stance with the same vehemence he's criticised your religion, I doubt you'd jumped and said he wasn't showing "no respect at all towards you or your political stance". Why is religion any different?
Oh please. He is accusing every christian of being delusional. If that is not lack of respect I don't know what is.

Gonna go catch some sleep now.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #188
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do. I doubt that science will ever be able to explain WHY things work in a certain way, why there even exists a universe and physical laws etc. Other than that I get what you mean.
Perhaps there just isn't an answer for those questions. Some things just happen out of randomness. And that would also be a scientific answer.

Quote:
Oh please. He is accusing every christian of being delusional. If that is not lack of respect I don't know what is.

Gonna go catch some sleep now.
Well, every atheist says that, by definition. You are basically saying that all atheists are disrespectful by virtue of disagreeing with you.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Old 11-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #189
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Useless post(er).
Coming from you
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #190
country flag Orka_n

Quote:
Well, every atheist says that, by definition. You are basically saying that all atheists are disrespectful by virtue of disagreeing with you.
Nonsense and you know it. It is possible to disagree with someone without telling the other person they're stupid.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #191
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Nonsense and you know it. It is possible to disagree with someone without telling the other person they're stupid.
When did he call you stupid? I must have missed that post.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #192
country flag Orka_n

Quote:
When did he call you stupid? I must have missed that post.
Oh I'm sorry, I'll correct myself. It is possible to disagree with someone without telling the other person they're delusional.

Later.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #193
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do not expect you to treat me with respect at all and don't ask for it (very rarely does anyone in MTF treat others with respect anyway), I only expect my questions to be answered

it's very typical of theists when they are stuck in a corner and can't defend the morally questionable parts of their faith to retreat to the "I'm offended" theme, the fact that my questions have very clear right answers that Christians can't admit as they would contradict their faith has a lot to do with you or Taejin's inability to answer them
Old 11-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #194
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry, I'll correct myself. It is possible to disagree with someone without telling the other person they're delusional.

Later.
But that is the whole point... atheists are implicitly calling all believers delusional by the mere fact of being atheists.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #195
country flag habibko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
I'm anxious to hear, which of those things that Jesus preached you consider despicable and not longer relevant to our life? Love your enemies? Forgive your brother? Do not judge others? Let's hear, which one is troubling you the most?
once again you avoid my question and bring what Jesus said, I've already answered you but you haven't replied

Quote:
I always found it strange when Christians act as if only what Jesus said or done matters, don't they accept the OT as the word of God? don't they accept and worship the God of the OT? what did HE have to say about homosexuality?

after all according to Christians Jesus IS the God of the OT or at least his son
Quote:
again, I'm not talking about what Jesus did, I'm talking about what the God of the OT and its prophets commanded and applied on their society, Jesus (according to Christian theology) is supposed to be one and the same in essence, so all the atrocities of the OT have been condoned by Jesus during a significant part of human history

you only have to answer a simple and direct question, do you believe the God of the OT did the right thing by condemning homosexuals and the homosexual act or not?