The Religious Debate Thread : "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible etc - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #151
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Misogynistic" passages in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Similarly, the Inquisition was motivated by faith and the church. So I'd say it's bit of a simplification and a cop-out really to leave that part out of the equation.
Sorry, but I cannot agree. You have the Bible, and that's it. Nothing, and absolutely nothing Jesus preached there can be a base for what the Inquisition did. No person or church has the monopoly over that. What Pope and (a part of) Catholic church did then is solely their own responsibility, as it should be, there can be no collective responsibility.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #152
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Sorry, but I cannot agree. You have the Bible, and that's it. Nothing, and absolutely nothing Jesus preached there can be a base for what the Inquisition did. No person or church has the monopoly over that. What Pope and (a part of) Catholic church did then is solely their own responsibility, as it should be, there can be no collective responsibility.
How can you possibly say that faith did not motivate the Inquisition? It is so well documented. Whether or not you agree with their interpretation, it was religiously motivated. There are no ifs, ands, or buts.
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #153
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

What if you support gay rights? Are you also a Christian then?

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #154
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
How can you possibly say that faith did not motivate the Inquisition? It is so well documented. Whether or not you agree with their interpretation, it was religiously motivated. There are no ifs, ands, or buts.
I'm saying what they did had nothing to do with what Jesus preached. They pretty much made their own twisted religion and acted accordingly.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #155
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Certainly not. In fact, any who commit the evil of simply ignoring the plight of women and gay people are not true Christians. A proper Christian must go out of their way to destroy their rights. It's the Christian way.

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #156
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verd View Post
Your rabbits reminds me of the joke in Red Dwarf about the Seventh-Day Adventhoppists, whose source of inspiration came from a typo in the Bible: "Now abideth faith, hop, and charity, and of these the greatest is hop."
Don't you love how we can have our own off topic conversation anywhere? We are missing the other famous derailers though who don't post anymore..............Happy T day!
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #157
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Still think the bible is a great read. Fortunately most Christians don't take much of it literally.. just the basic stuff we should already know about to be genuinely good human beings. You'd have to be deluded to take everything written so long ago by people nobody in our society would be able to even remotely relate to, literally.

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #158
Slacker

Quote:
I'm not an expert on Bible, but I don't remember Jesus asked anyone about their sexual orientation, so I guess it's safe to say that it's not really pertinent issue.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #159
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not an expert on Bible, but I don't remember Jesus asked anyone about their sexual orientation, so I guess it's safe to say that it's not really pertinent issue.
Jesus didn't comment on it, but God himself did say in the OT that homosexuality is an abomination, and Paul condemned it in the NT as well.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #160
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I always found it strange when Christians act as if only what Jesus said or done matters, don't they accept the OT as the word of God? don't they accept and worship the God of the OT? what did HE have to say about homosexuality?

after all according to Christians Jesus IS the God of the OT or at least his son
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #161
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
I always found it strange when Christians act as if only what Jesus said or done matters, don't they accept the OT as the word of God? don't they accept and worship the God of the OT? what did HE have to say about homosexuality?

after all according to Christians Jesus IS the God of the OT or at least his son
Quote:
Jesus didn't comment on it, but God himself did say in the OT that homosexuality is an abomination, and Paul condemned it in the NT as well.
Well, a curious thing; lookie here:

Quote:
8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
8:4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
According to what you two say, Jesus here did what? Obviously he didn't do what Aloimeh's spiritual ancestors expected him to do, and you might even say he ignored and/or broke the law of the OT. Does that mean he's not a good Christian?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #162
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

According to what you two say, Jesus here did what? Obviously he didn't do what Aloimeh's spiritual ancestors expected him to do, and you might even say he ignored and/or broke the law of the OT. Does that mean he's not a good Christian?
this is not relevant and you are evading the point we are making, were the laws of the OT once preached and applied or not? what did God and his prophets say about homosexuality? you are supposed to worship that same God, how can you worship and follow a God when you think he was wrong?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #163
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
this is not relevant and you are evading the point we are making, were the laws of the OT once preached and applied or not? what did God and his prophets say about homosexuality? you are supposed to worship that same God, how can you worship and follow a God when you think he was wrong?
Not relevant? Are you kidding? If what Jesus said is not relevant for Christians, I don't know what is It's very obvious that God himself did something there, that was completely against OT and the law. So I would conclude that not everything is black and white like you are so eager to prove.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #164
country flag habibko

Quote:
Not relevant? Are you kidding? If what Jesus said is not relevant for Christians, I don't know what is It's very obvious that God himself did something there, that was completely against OT and the law. So I would conclude that not everything is black and white like you are so eager to prove.
so he realized he was wrong and corrected himself some hundreds of years later? this is the God one is supposed to worship?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #165
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

Jesus contradicted and corrected God. I mean himself... I mean God... I mean himself... aaaah!

Good luck coming to terms with that though. If Jesus himself contradicted God's teachings in the OT, what is the OT good for? And if the OT is the true word of God, what was that Jesus doing correcting it?

Of course, one might say God addresses humans differently according to the different periods of history. Still doesn't account for the cruelty of the OT. Seriously, read the Bible. From cover to cover. That bully just loves his killing...