Is it polite to ask a woman her age? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is it polite to ask a woman her age?

It is ok in certain circumstances 18 85.71%
No way, never ask a women her age no matter what 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it polite to ask a woman her age?

Traditionally, the word is no, you never ask a woman her age. I believe this is meant as women get older, you really don't wanna ask how old she is, it just comes off a bit disrespectful I guess. But what about young girls? How about when I am out, and I am not sure how old a girl is? Especially if she looks around 18. Maybe she is 18, but she could easily be 20, 21. But at the same time, she could just be a really matured 17 year old.

In this scenario, is it polite to ask a woman her age?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it polite to ask a woman her age?

You are fully entitled to ask me my age, Jon.
Perhaps I won't answer.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

WTF why should it be deemed unrespectful to ask a girls age, yet alright to ask for a males age? Double standards much?
White knight Mark Lenders crew
Lifts at 1:00 am so I don't have to interact with anyone crew
Get nervous as fuk when I have to say hi to the gym receptionist crew
Too many clowns, not enough time to own them crew
Anti PopCon crew
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Really? You're going to pretend that you give a damn about being "polite" to women?

I'll drop you a friendly hint, then: this is impolite (to say the absolute least).

I think that your best bet for politeness to women is actually just to keep your mouth completely shut (to and about them) for about 5-10 years.

Hope this helps.
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Traditionally, the word is no, you never ask a woman her age. I believe this is meant as women get older, you really don't wanna ask how old she is, it just comes off a bit disrespectful I guess. But what about young girls? How about when I am out, and I am not sure how old a girl is? Especially if she looks around 18. Maybe she is 18, but she could easily be 20, 21. But at the same time, she could just be a really matured 17 year old.

I think you can find out without asking. I can see why its important at that age to know for sure, so find a way to bring it up without asking the age straight up.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

is that before or after groove...? just need some clarification here...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Don't see why not. Of course, it may not be too nice to ask a woman in her forties or fifties about the exact age, but if a barely adult girl gets insulted then so much the better, such a brat is not worth spending time with anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
Really? You're going to pretend that you give a damn about being "polite" to women?

I'll drop you a friendly hint, then: this is impolite (to say the absolute least).
Wow, just seen that. Not only impolite, more like something a full-blooded redneck would be proud of
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

funny how our views of the world can drastically differ, not only would I fail my gynecology exam if I didn't ask my female patient about her age during my history taking interview, I would also fail if I didn't ask about details of her menstrual period, including duration, amount and color
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have any problem with being asked for my age in any circumstances where it's appropriate and where it would be considered fine to ask a man his age.

I'm not in favour of the old-fashioned stereotype that it's rude to ask a woman her age because only women need to feel bad about getting older. Either let's all be okay with aging, or let's all be miserable about it equally
Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #10
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you Johnny Groove?

Did that question offend you?

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal!
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

If a woman is vain enough to care about her age, you shouldn't be trying to fuck her.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #12
Guest12315544
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Guest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest12315544 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
I think you can find out without asking. I can see why its important at that age to know for sure, so find a way to bring it up without asking the age straight up.
Good answer I really don't think you should ask anyone their age. I know when you go to a doctor for the first time you have to fill out forms that ask for your date of birth, but that is a different situation.
Guest12315544 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

It's fine to ask I say. Only problem is when they lie and you believe them.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
is that before or after groove...? just need some clarification here...

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Is it polite to ask a man his age? Yes? There's your answer. Equality should have next to no exceptions.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote