Do you think you need to have a lot in common for a relationship to work? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Relationships, need someone like minded for them to work?

Yes 4 26.67%
Not always 5 33.33%
Depends 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you think you need to have a lot in common for a relationship to work?

Ive dated a variety of different girls from different backgrounds, myself being a city guy, have dated country girls, city girls, girls who were more like tomboys who liked sports and a lot of the things I liked, girls who liked the same kind of music as me (rare indeed), and conversely, girls who I had little in common with.

Needless to say they all failed as im single!

Quite frankly all the relationships went similar and from my experience, having more in common didnt save or prolong any of them. Infact some of the ones that failed quickly/specatcularly were actually the ones I had a lot in common with and had a big spark with.

What do you feel? When looking for your life partner, do you think you have to share a lot of common interests/views? Or do you think it makes no difference? Obviously someone who you disagree with all the time will just piss you off, but is a happy medium best?

I personally liked dating the country girls, experiencing horse riding, things id never done before. Although I didnt massively enjoy them I did enjoy pursuing new interests id never tried, rather than just doing the same things as always but with a new person.

Stories?

Also some cultres have arranged marriages and im sure some of them work out. I guess those are a huge lottery. Likewise are blind dates that work out. Similarly I guess relationships that are based largely on convenience, financial arrangements or looks might not be impacted too much.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
country flag EddceLLent

EddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think you need to have a lot in common for a relationship to work?

Having personality traits in common is a great thing, like if you share the same sense of humour obviously that's going to help you.

Conversely I think having hobbies and interests in common isn't really helpful at all. In fact, I think it can be unhelpful sometimes because if you have all the same interests then you don't have things that you can do on your own, and whatever anyone says I think people need space and to be able to hang out with their friends away from their partner occasionally.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think you need to have a lot in common for a relationship to work?

It's like how you put it 2003. It depends on the situation, and it's quite unpredictable. Guess that's life.

In regards to arranged marriages, this depends mostly on the culture/religion of that society. If both genders have mutual respect toward each other, it will work out most of the time. But if one of the men or one of the women, breaks that trust or doesn't believe so much in the culture/religion of that society, then that could lead to breaking up, divorce, etc.

In today's world, I still believe, money, careers/status, and looks are all important. I even think if you have all 3, then you probably maximize your chances for whatever you want.

I think if it comes down to strict looks (without a career or decent living) vs. a guy who lacks looks, but has career/money, I think most women would prefer that ugly guy instead, at least from what I'm noticing.

Times have changed a bit.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddceLLent View Post
Having personality traits in common is a great thing, like if you share the same sense of humour obviously that's going to help you.

Conversely I think having hobbies and interests in common isn't really helpful at all. In fact, I think it can be unhelpful sometimes because if you have all the same interests then you don't have things that you can do on your own, and whatever anyone says I think people need space and to be able to hang out with their friends away from their partner occasionally.
Yeah, this. You need superficial differences to add spice & fundamental similarities to avoid resenting each other in the long run. Superficial attributes in this context are things such as political outlook, cultural background, race, nationality, interests, & hobbies. These can be as different as you want. Fundamental attributes include need for pleasure (sex, drugs, sleep, food, etc.), ambition in the broadest sense, degree of openness & honesty, level of individuality, & attitudes to others' faults. Big differences in any of those and the relationship is doomed in the long term.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

More imortant than this, I think, is that spark, that magic that is in the air when you are with someone you really dig.

You know it when you feel it and know it when you don't.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
More imortant than this, I think, is that spark, that magic that is in the air when you are with someone you really dig.

You know it when you feel it and know it when you don't.
I should have added - fancying each other kinda helps too.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
country flag Nikki♥

Nikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond reputeNikki♥ has a reputation beyond repute

Opposites attract but similarities keep you together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Bičuj me mamita!
Nikki♥ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

commonalities and demographics are very powerful in seduction and lead to more healthy relationships.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
commonalities and demographics are very powerful in seduction and lead to more healthy relationships.
hmm... yes... hmmm where have i heard that before...

oh yes... Chapter 5, paragraph 22 of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus...

an apt and timely recital... one of your best...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

If we are talking about married life here, then definitely yes, having a lot in common is very important. 'Sparks', 'magic' and similar are good enough for dating I guess, not going to cut it for the real thing
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

There needs to be a sexual attraction, first and foremost. If you don't feel an intense desire to fuck with that person, it wont last.

It's really all about a spark. A person can be your total opposite in appearance and personality, but if there is a spark, then there is a spark.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

^^Yea, sure. For example, if you stumble on a problem, you will fuck/spark your way out? Good luck with that
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #13
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki♥ View Post
I had never heard that before. I said it depends because what works for some people isn't necessarily going to work for other people.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
^^Yea, sure. For example, if you stumble on a problem, you will fuck/spark your way out? Good luck with that
Angry sex is some of the best sex there is.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #15
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki♥ View Post
This is the way it works for me. My BF is clearly an 'opposite' when it comes to our characters, but it's our common interests, morals, and general feeling about 'what truly matters in life' that has kept us going for over ten years now.

BTW, how many of your folks have actually been in a long-term relationship?
Meaning, not just a couple of months, but actually a decade or so?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote