Rafa at the WTF 2011 - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #76
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafa at the WTF 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by !VamosRafa! View Post
6-3 6-0
I predicted it to be in straights, but who expected a bagel?

This is definitely the end of Rafa and it has been all year I'm afraid he's already won his last Grand Slam and I think he will fall out of the top 10 in the next year and a half(mostly because he has a lot of points), and I can see him retiring in 2 years.
I expected straights also, but not as bad as it turned out Still you must remember that Rafa had been ill plus playing indoors is Rafa's worse surface. So I wouldn't completely give up on him yet.

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #77
country flag !VamosRafa!

!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute!VamosRafa! has a reputation beyond repute

^ but he won 3 games

he also lost 6-2 6-0 the last 2 sets in Tokyo to Murray

Is that the future we want from Rafa, or is it better if he just retired?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #78
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond repute

What? I watched it with a friend of mine who is actually a hater, and he said not to read too much out of it given the circumstances. We assumed it was in a way a tank knowing that a win against Tsonga will put him through regardless of what happens in the other match. Saving energy after the exhausting stomach problems is the best strategy. If he had retired he couldn't play the third match. So the next best thing was to play it easy. Probably it wasn't planned to be that bad but definitely he planned not to stay very long.
04.07.10 - Rafa's Express Faster Than The Rest!
13.09.10 - Who is the GOAT now?!
05.06.11 - Where is clayGoat Djokovic?
11.06.12 - NoleSlam denied! 7th Heaven it is!
09.06.13 - Hi8tory!
09.09.13 - #Lucky13
08.06.14 - Unsto99able!
Foxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #79
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
What? I watched it with a friend of mine who is actually a hater, and he said not to read too much out of it given the circumstances. We assumed it was in a way a tank knowing that a win against Tsonga will put him through regardless of what happens in the other match. Saving energy after the exhausting stomach problems is the best strategy. If he had retired he couldn't play the third match. So the next best thing was to play it easy. Probably it wasn't planned to be that bad but definitely he planned not to stay very long.
Tank?? You will see against Tsonga was this a tank or he just don't have any power in his shots or any idea how to win a match

He is going home after RR, better for him and all of us
Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #80
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't really think "tank" is a word that Rafa would even use much less actually do! But please remember he has been sick. A stomach problem takes a lot out of people anyway and to actually be playing tennis while the trouble is on going I just don't even want to think of how he must have felt at the time. And it takes time to recover from that. That illness just really occurred at a bad time not that there is ever really a good time to be ill!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #81
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
No I don't really think "tank" is a word that Rafa would even use much less actually do! But please remember he has been sick. A stomach problem takes a lot out of people anyway and to actually be playing tennis while the trouble is on going I just don't even want to think of how he must have felt at the time. And it takes time to recover from that. That illness just really occurred at a bad time not that there is ever really a good time to be ill!
Exactly, he did not have enough power or energy yet after the stomach bug to play sublime Roger, and mind you the fist service games went OK.
This year is lost anyway, I am more worried about the DC final. He wants to give everything for his country but will it be enough after such devastating losses and horrible play on hard courts? He could do that after the USO final but can he do it again?

Dee and others, the retirement talk after every loss is just ridiculous. Roger has gone through some worse times and people said it's the end of him, he should retire etc etc. See how he is playing now, won Basel and Paris.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #82
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal_Power View Post
Tank?? You will see against Tsonga was this a tank or he just don't have any power in his shots or any idea how to win a match

He is going home after RR, better for him and all of us
Tank is probably not the right word in the case. My bad. Call it - not using all cavalries so he buys a little more time to recover into the tournament especially knowing the result of the previous match. Why spend the small amount of energy he had after the draining stomach issues to the fullest in a match he most probably lose anyway. Even if he lose against Tsonga it does not prove the above statement false. He just couldn't recover in time after all. He will have enough time to recover for the Davis Cup though. Cheers.
09.06.13 - Hi8tory!
09.09.13 - #Lucky13
08.06.14 - Unsto99able!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #83
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Well two good things right off about the D.C. Final is that it is on red clay and it is in Spain I'm sure it will help Rafa to be back in Spain on his red clay It's hard for me to hear retirement talk from people who claim they are his fans. Rafa is only 25 years old! Why talk about retirement for a player of that age? Tommy Haas is still on the Tour at age 33 after 3 shoulder surgeries, hip surgery, and I can't even remember all his other illnesses and injuries. Tommy just says he is on his 3rd Career on the ATP Tour Rafa should be around for a long time to come

Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #84
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Mae but imagine if Rafa should lose the DC final at his home. Now THAT would be completely totally and uttery devastating even more so than 0-6 to Nole this year. And I won't talk about it any more in order not to jinx him.

Post-match presser video.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #85
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
You're right Mae but imagine if Rafa should lose the DC final at his home. Now THAT would be completely totally and uttery devastating even more so than 0-6 to Nole this year. And I won't talk about it any more in order not to jinx him.

Post-match presser video.
Do not go there Players really amp it up for Davis Cup. I always use Andy Roddick as an example and say if Andy could have had as good of a career for himself and he did for the U.S.A. he would have had a wonderful career. Not that he has had a bad career, but when he is just Andy Roddick on clay he is awful when he is put on clay for a Davis Cup Match you would think that was his best surface! And now how much of what Rafa said will I be able to understand BTW thanks for posting the presser

Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #86
country flag Foxy

Sampras lost to Agassi 62 62 in RR then to reach the final and win it in straights in 1999 against Agassi.
09.06.13 - Hi8tory!
09.09.13 - #Lucky13
08.06.14 - Unsto99able!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #87
country flag MariaV

Thanks for that piece of encouraging info Foxy.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #88
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Wow I understood every word and I hope all of Rafa's fans listen to that presser. He said it wasn't the end of the world and that he was going to keep fighting

Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #89
country flag Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae View Post
Wow I understood every word and I hope all of Rafa's fans listen to that presser. He said it wasn't the end of the world and that he was going to keep fighting
I learned never to read too much into pressers anyway. He is not going to say it is the end of the world and that he will stop fighting. As he will never give any excuse if there is one. So it was a nice political style interview. Nothing more, nothing less.
09.06.13 - Hi8tory!
09.09.13 - #Lucky13
08.06.14 - Unsto99able!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #90
country flag MariaV

But it isn't then end of the world and I'm glad he has positive attitude.
Although lately I read somewhere that the positive attitude and thinking positively doesn't really prevent from negative things happening.