How did you become a Federer fan? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #61
country flag Eden
Team Rogerin :-)

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you become a Federer fan?

*As time goes by*

Thought to bring back this thread and hear how you fellow Roger fans took notice of him

I follow the tennisscene since the early 80ies, but I don't remember exactly when I have heard the first time of Roger. One of the first matches I have probably ever seen of him were at the Olympic Games in Sydney in 2000, but I'm sure I have catched a look at other matches of him before. Since the Wimbledon tournament in 2001 I'm backing him all the way.

As much as I always supported players as Becker, Edberg, Stich, Rafter or Agassi Roger is really special for me. Only Kuerten comes to close. But I was never as nervous or into the matches as now with Roger.

I feel so privileged to be able to witness his career and I hope he will be around for many more years to come
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #62
country flag ranaldo

ranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond reputeranaldo has a reputation beyond repute

I think the first time I really paid attention was back in 2001 against Corretja. I was thinking 'man this guy is good but he's probably too talented for his own sake !'. He lost in 3 though !
ranaldo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:38 AM   #63
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

lol. weird. i never saw this thread even though i joined rather early.

well i saw this guy play ferrero at the usopen in 2000. I thought "nice game, but no power, no weapons". Then i knew of him throughout 2001 because jmac couldnt stop talking about him, and though many of us get annoyed with jmac's current bias against federer, he was one a few who spotted fed's greatness before he stepped on court against sampras.

I saw the sampras - federer match thus heeding jmac's words carefully. Federer was mentally tougher, outclassed him in shotmaking, served almost as big. I was shocked. More than the impressive shots, i couldn't help but notice his beautiful footwork, technique and serene state of mind that he was in. He was like a "ninja" and an "artist" that sliced up the canvas effortlessly.

i was hooked and havent been bored since.
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #64
country flag Larsson

Larsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond reputeLarsson has a reputation beyond repute

It was his semi final against Roddick in 2003 when I really noticed him. I had heard of him but never really seen much of him (couldnt really remember the semi final with sampras as i wasnt really into tennis then) I remember thinking before that match that Roddick would win. I was in awe of the way Roger played and then the final i was like this guy is something else However i never dreamed how dominant he would be tbh Im not sure many people did. I only really followed Wimbledon until Roger came along and i started to follow all the tournaments and when he got his haircut I started to think hey hes kinda sexy too

ROGER FEDERER

Marat Safin

Last edited by Larsson : 09-26-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Larsson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #65
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I just because I watch Roger win 2003 Wimby~!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #66
country flag jhltennisfan

jhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond reputejhltennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How did you become a Federer fan?

I'm from Korea, and as you may or may not know, the tennis is not the most popular sports in Korea at all. There are a lot of people who actually enjoy playing tennis, but TV coverage of tennis matches are only for a few grand slam finals, if any. I, myself, also used to play tennis every Sunday, and followed tennis results through website. Until 2003, I heard about Federer very few times even after he won the wimbledon. I read the article about his talent in the newspaper, but I've never watched his play until 2004 US Open. I was lucky because I was in Boston for a business trip in September 2004, and finally I could see him play on TV. The match was Andre Agassi vs Roger Federer, (as you know QF match), and until then I was a fan of Andre, so I cheered for him, not Federer. (You may remember that the match was stopped due to rain twice, and Federer won 3:2). I kept following his Semi-Final & Final, and I became a crazy fan of him.... and felt sorry for Andre that I found a better player than he.
Luckily again, I got a job in USA in Nov. 2004, and I could start to watch his matches as much as I want. I felt so bad that I missed most of his past matches, so I tried to buy DVDs, and I almost watched all of his matches by now...(except his few defeats) I think I bought about 100 Federer DVDs.
I'm so happy and feel honored to see his play, and will be his big fan forever.
jhltennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #67
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

I became a Federer fan after he won set 3 vs Baggy in 2006 AO... Before then just on the fence.
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #68
country flag Tiklish

Tiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond reputeTiklish has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure when I exactly became a fan. I watched a lot of tennis back in the late 80's, then lost interest for about 12 years, Monica Seles's grunt was part of what chased me away, sadly now almost everyone does it. Then I started paying some attention to tennis again back in 2005 when I discovered that the number one men's tennis player in the world happened to also be very attractive AND had the most fantastic walk I'd ever seen. I still only watched occasionally, mostly Slam finals, and then this year after Wimbledon because of some things going on in real life that caused a desperate need for distraction, I decided to make Federer it during the tournaments leading up to the US Open. I had no idea letting him distract me from my troubles for a little while would lead to my current level of interest, which is very high.

Last edited by Tiklish : 09-27-2007 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Thought of simpler way to say something
Tiklish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 AM   #69
country flag Greenday

Greenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond repute

2004 US Open his QF against Andre......he jus amazed me in tht match....winning against an experienced player like andre in newyork with those terrible conditions and not even a single soul in the stadium supporting him..Since then i have been following him.....and from being a fan, I got promoted to a fanatic now.....I will probably move away from tennis once roger breaks tht sampras record....or at the max till his retirement......he jus takes too much of time
Old 09-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #70
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Oh,each Roger's fan have different reason become Roger's fan~~
Old 09-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #71
country flag LinkMage

LinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond reputeLinkMage has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember when I became aware of him. One of the first matches I remember watching him was the Miami final in 2002 against Agassi and I wanted him to win. He was one of the players I liked but I wasn't a fan of him at that point.

I didn't watch him win Wimbledon in 2003 because I was on vacations and I wasn't still a fan of him. It was in the 2003 TMC when I really became a fan and have watched almost every single match of him since then.
LinkMage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #72
country flag refero*fervens

refero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond repute

I've probably told this story a hundred times but for the record:

My family were over at a friend’s house in 05- these friends were tennis mad, as we knew; they kept us vaguely aware of tennis happenings although we didn't care then. 'Unfortunately' for us, the whole gathering was glued to the television screen watching the Australian Open. We had no choice but to sit down and watch with them, so I ended up becoming quite interested, gradually learning the rules etc -

Later that day was the big Federer-Safin semi. I think the whole room was cheering for Feds, but I remember rooting for Safin because I knew Hewitt was on the other side of the draw, and being a non-tennis fan but Aussie, I'd have liked to see him win - and despite not knowing anything about tennis, I had heard of Federer and him being no.1 and Great, so thought Safin would be an easier match for Hewitt. Well, lol.

Anyway, by the end of the match I was taken aback by this 'Federer' guy and quite suddenly enjoying tennis (not really the sports-watching family, us). After the AO, though, the tennis buzz quickly died down and forgotten until 05 Masters Cup in Shanghai. When I felt quite sad about Roger's loss against Nalby, that was when I realised I'd become a fan!

So...I've been a Federer fan since I started watching tennis, though that hasn't been very long

refero*fervens is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #73
country flag dimahenman

dimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond reputedimahenman has a reputation beyond repute

hello! i started liking roger a long time ago and when i met him he was very nice!! signs so many autographs he almost caused a trafic jam in usopen!! very funny but he still signed many autographs for everyone! if you meet him, he will sign for you probably!

and i like nole! and dmitry and tim henman!
dimahenman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #74
country flag SUKTUEN

I hope I can go to Shanghai and take pic with Roger again~
Old 10-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #75
country flag HNCS

HNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond repute

well i started to like tennis because of a japanese anime about tennis...then i started to watch tennis. and i fell in love with it.

My first big tournament i followed on TV was Australia OPen 2006 [austrailan free-tv sucks!!) and i immediately recognised Roger's brilliance even if i was a tennis begginner back then.

however, what made me a fan, a die-hard one in fact, was the A0 2006 speech. that just got me. it just took me away!! i feel in love with him, utterly and helplessly.

I remember listening to them announcing the grand slams he had won, and being a tennis begginner i was like, sounds like a big achievement. lol

I've been quick to catch up on all the tennis history though. =)

Richard Gasquet,David Nalbandian, James Blake,Marcos Baghdatis,Fabrice Santoro,Jonas Bjorkman,Mario Ancic,Mikhail Youzhny,Fernado Verdasco
HNCS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote