How did you become a Federer fan? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #46
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you become a Federer fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by intikab
Up until the magical Wim 2003 SF, I was following tennis only casually - just watching late round GS matches - having no real favorite player since Edberg retired. I didn't know much about Roger except for brief mentions by Jon Wertheim as a talented player. In fact, I didn't even know he was the one who ended Sampras's reign at Wimbledon. I had known Roddick from 2002 US Open - I developed an instant dislike for him with all the hype and his clumsy, power game.

So I sat down to watch the 2003 Wim SF to see if the guy playing Roddick could stop him, which I honestly thought was not very likely. As the match unfolded, it was amazing to see the winners flowing from Roger. Even in the close first set, Roger had 24 (!) winners, double Roddick's. Plus, Roger was SV'ing on almost on all first serves, which was so refreshing to see. Then in the last two sets, Roger gave one of the most glorious exhibitions of tennis - the only match I have seen where somebody played such breathtaking tennis was Edberg in 91 USO Final against Courier.

From that day on I got hooked on to Roger and tennis in a big way. I read these forums, tennis ware-house forums, rec.sport.tennis newsgroup, and read every article about him on the web.

I just feel previleged to be witnessing such greatness and rooting for a soon-to-be-a-living legend.
Welcome. I was a fan long before that semifinal, but I will still never foget that match, as it was one of the finest displays that I've ever seen. Federer had like 63 or somewhere around that, winners, and put on a beautiful display of serve and volley tennis.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2004, 04:31 AM   #47
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I have to keep this short due to certain circumstances.

I saw Roger play juniors and then in Auckland 2000 I saw him and thought this guy has something and his 1st round opponent day wasn't a bad player either. You will have to guess that.

He has such a natural game, and a very easy going manner as well. So I decided to follow his results and then I saw some of the good results like the DC matches, the Wimbledon win and also some of the poor performances.

Being a grasscourt phobe I have to say thanks to Roger I can actually watch a lot of more Wimbledon than I used to, he is very humble unlike that other former great player who was #1 before him.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:14 PM   #48
country flag Raquel

Raquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond reputeRaquel has a reputation beyond repute

I really became a Roger fan back in 2000 when I saw him play in the old indoor tournament thay used to have in Battersea in London. I just knew right away that I liked the way he played and I didn't see him again on TV until the US Open that year but always followed his results in between then.
C'mon Lleyton!
HoPp FuNkY Flo!
Raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #49
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

I expect some new posters who show up in the future to say that they became Rogi's fan by watching that 20-18 TB against Safin!!!! Not only for winning it but for keeping his composure with that terrible call on MP.
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:08 AM   #50
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
I have to keep this short due to certain circumstances.

I saw Roger play juniors and then in Auckland 2000 I saw him and thought this guy has something and his 1st round opponent day wasn't a bad player either. You will have to guess that.
You mean Ferrero, and unfortunatly he lost that match.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:12 AM   #51
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
I expect some new posters who show up in the future to say that they became Rogi's fan by watching that 20-18 TB against Safin!!!! Not only for winning it but for keeping his composure with that terrible call on MP.
actually I also sort of expect many new posters show up and said they became Rogi's fan because of his lovely hair
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #52
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex
You mean Ferrero, and unfortunatly he lost that match.
Yes, but there are certain reasons why my initial post on this subject was so short.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-21-2004, 01:52 AM   #53
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Have I already posted here? Can't remember but I know I've posted on a similar topic elsewhere.

I first noticed the lovely talented young Swiss boy when he lost to my fave old Barcelona boy, Alex Corretja, in the QF of RG01... he looked so sweet and fresh and was managing so-so v. my Catalan toro! It was a good-natured match [only saw the last few games... too bad] and I thought... hmmm... this guy they've been talking about is quite sth.

I just thought of sth... that's not the first time... it was when Rogi lost to Pat Rafter, my all-time fave Aussie, in Miami, some earlyish round... same year... Rogi didn't play v well but was quite lovely... I took notice for sure.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:58 AM   #54
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88
Have I already posted here? Can't remember but I know I've posted on a similar topic elsewhere.

I first noticed the lovely talented young Swiss boy when he lost to my fave old Barcelona boy, Alex Corretja, in the QF of RG01... he looked so sweet and fresh and was managing so-so v. my Catalan toro! It was a good-natured match [only saw the last few games... too bad] and I thought... hmmm... this guy they've been talking about is quite sth.

I just thought of sth... that's not the first time... it was when Rogi lost to Pat Rafter, my all-time fave Aussie, in Miami, some earlyish round... same year... Rogi didn't play v well but was quite lovely... I took notice for sure.
Always knew you had great taste.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-21-2004, 02:00 AM   #55
country flag Fedex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88

You liked Rafter?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:11 AM   #56
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Aww, thanks, George!

Rafter, oh yes... a fan of that lovely Aussie guy! He had class and talent and personality! The whole package! And he was NOT a 1-slam wonder as JMac used to accuse him of... dork!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #57
country flag WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond repute

When he played Agassi in the final of the Nasdaq-100. I saw so much talent there and I really thought he could win if only he'd been more consistent. That was the first time I actually payed attention and I'd expected big things from him since then, but Carter's death derailed him totally and he needed to get to 2004 to show what he really had in him.
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:01 AM   #58
country flag Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond repute

Well, really - compared to some of you, I'm relatively new to tennis. I've been playing tennis in the summers for quite a few years now, but I didn't start following it much till 2003. Before 2003, I believe I had heard the name 'Federer,' from my dad, but I don't think any of us really knew much about him, except that he was a top tennis player. In 2003, I got some interest in him in Wimbledon, seeing a few of his matches, but even then I wasn't a complete fan yet. Then came the Masters Cup 2003. And I was watching the matches at night; I saw Federer's final against Agassi, and I just became a complete fan of him. I know, it sounds kind of weird, to have not that much knowledge of professional tennis, and to suddenly become a fan of somebody, but that's how it is for me most of the time.

Roger then came to the Aussie Open and I was rooting for him all the way, and I saw his final with Safin, which just further confirmed my fanhood, if that's the word. I also later saw his matches in Indian Wells against Henman and Agassi - I was real disappointed to hear that he lost against Guga in the French - and in Wimbledon, I was rooting for him all the way. Now, he's the only player I'm a super-fan towards, and it'll probably stay that way, though I do have an interest and wish good luck to other players, too.
Flibbertigibbet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:29 AM   #59
country flag onewoman74

onewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond reputeonewoman74 has a reputation beyond repute

I became aware of Rog when he beat Sampras at Wimbledon. I remember wanting this new kid to beat Sampras so badly(I'm not a fan) and when he did I couldn't believe it. I also remember Sampras' look of disbelief of losing that match contrasted w/ Rog's jubilation. That match will always stay in my memory!
onewoman74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:12 AM   #60
country flag rotin

rotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond reputerotin has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How did you become a Federer fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
since 2000, as a hingis fan i follow some other swiss players and niticed Roger,
the same to me
i know more about him when he come to shanghai and join the mastercup

but i really become a federer fan when he win the wopen last year
and he cried .and i was absorbed in
rotin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote