How did you become a Federer fan? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-16-2004, 12:27 AM   #1
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute
Default How did you become a Federer fan?

Well?

I first noticed him in Marseilles, I think it was in 2000 or 2001 (can't remember) when he played Rosset in the final there. At first I didn't think all that much about him coz he had a quick temper and was very erratic.

But then, his greatest victory in his early years was also one of the most painful for me- his win over Sampras at Wimbledon 2001. At the time I was really dissappointed, but after I got over the loss and learned to appreciate the achievement, I thought to myself "this guy could really be awesome if he only pulled himself together on a consistent basis".

I was still a Sampras fan till the day that Pete retired, but from that Wimbledon 2001 and on I kept my eye firmly on Roger, waiting for him to tap his amazing potential.

During TMC 2002 when he really pushed Hewitt hard in their semifinal meeting but lost, that was more confirmation that he really had the ability to beat the world's best, but just had to find a way to toughen up mentally.

Then I was happy that he started winning tournaments on a consistent basis during the early 2003 season, but was still so annoyed that he didn't play the tennis I knew he was capable of during the grand slams.

When he lost to Horna in RG 2003, I was sooooo pissed off
Seeing him win in Halle re-ignited that spark of hope for Wimbledon, but I must admit at the time I was highly skeptical.

But he worked his way through the draw, and when he beat Schalken to make his first appearance in a grand slam semi I thought to myself "here we go! Finally a new personal best result in a slam". I was really happy and was hoping for him to go as far as possible. But in my wildest dreams I didn't imagine he would have such unbelievable performances against Roddick and Philippoussis. I was so ecstatic after the final, I almost cried too. I finally thought "this is it!!!!!! This is the moment I've been waiting for!!!". I was so thrilled.

But then his hard court swing revived a bit of those old doubts- those matches he should never have blown against Roddick in Montreal and Nalbandian in USO .

Towards the end of the year, after his abysmal performances in the TMS fall events all I was hoping for was for him to rest and be fresh for 2004. But then he showed up in TMC and again, when I least expected it, played some of the most incredible tennis I had ever seen. When he whipped Andre in the final, I KNEW he had finally validated himself, and that Wimbledon victory was no fluke.

Then, at the AO at the beginning of the year, he totally erased any doubts I had left about him, especially the Hewitt and Nalbandian matches- two players who really had him baffled and he beat them both at the highest tier, I knew at that moment that he had turned the page. And when he won the final against Marat, I knew winning a 2nd GS title proved he was no one-slam wonder, he was the real thing!

From that moment on, it was one huge party all year long, and I hope it doesn't stop
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you become a Federer fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
Well?

But in my wildest dreams I didn't imagine he would have such unbelievable performances against Roddick and Philippoussis. I was so ecstatic after the final, I almost cried too. I finally thought "this is it!!!!!! This is the moment I've been waiting for!!!". I was so thrilled.
lol, well who would of thought that Federer would play that well against Roddick and then Mark? Who would of thought that he could destroy the worlds best server that easily? I didnt think so. I was actually calm about that match, I thought Roddick would win. I am still in shock of the shots that he came up with in that Roddick match.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:52 AM   #3
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How did you become a Federer fan?

I also a Pete fan forever ,

I be Roger's fan at he win Pete in Wimby 2001 ,he beat my idol !

But I attract by Roger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:54 AM   #4
country flag Yoda

Yoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond repute

Same here...saw Roger play in juniors and wondererd how his shotmaking abilities would fare in the ATP circuit. And come Wimby 2001 vs Sampras, I was in awe of that performance. Been a big fan ever since but had to wait patiently since 2001 for Rogi's potential to come through (have been telling my friends how great Roger is since 2001).

Now I just hope Roger stays healthy and and keeps the tennis public mesmerized with his fantastic skills. Like most fans, I want him to break records and take his place among tennis immortals, but more importantly I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

FEDERER
, Malisse, Baghdatis, Melzer, Agassi, Berdych, Safin, Santoro, Koubek, O.Rochus, Nadal, Hewitt, Gasquet, Acasuso
Yoda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:42 AM   #5
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

since 2000, as a hingis fan i follow some other swiss players and niticed Roger,
Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:26 AM   #6
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been a fan of Federer since I first saw him play. It was early 2000 a first round davis cup tie between Australia and Switzerland in Zurich.

I had only heard briefly of Federer at the time and didn't expect much resistance from him against the Australians. But then Roger played great tennis to beat Philippoussis, win the doubles and had the upper hand in large parts of the match against Hewitt, despite losing.

Since then I knew it would be a matter of time since Roger would begin playing well, he looked very weak mentally in those early years but I knew that he would still eventually win at least 1 slam with a bit of luck. Never did I expect him to reach the level he did at Wimbledon in 2003 or USO 2004 though.

The 2002 Wimbledon/FO disasters were disapointing but interestingly enough I was most concerned about Roger very early this year prior to the Australian Open. Roger played magnificent tennis to win in Houston yet seeing him in a warm up event in Australia when he first arrived there Roger could barely keep the ball in the court and I was worriedthat Roger may be another Safin, plenty of talent but very rarely does it all come together for him to play well.

Roger got rid of those fears during AO
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:46 AM   #7
country flag forever_rafter

forever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute

I saw him for the first time in 1999, Roland Garros 1st round match vs Patrick Rafter. As a "to die for" Rafter fan I was a bit shoked wgen Rogi won the firts set, but Pat quickly focused and gave Rogi a lesson of tennis. Still, I remember that Eurosport comentator was very impressed of Roger;s tennis skills and he was only 17-years-old back than
forever_rafter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute

I've cheered for Roger since the first time I saw him playing. I think it was the end of 2000. Then I didn't hear of him and in Februari 2001 I saw him again on tv, the first whole match I saw of him, it was the final of Rotterdam-tournament vs. Escude (Roger lost ) but since that moment I've been really following him.

Hopp Suisse!
Nymeria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #9
country flag federer_roar

federer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond reputefederer_roar has a reputation beyond repute

I chanced upon Roger on TV playing in Wimbledon this year. It's a magic, since then I am addicted to his game.

Sometimes it's really irritating when some ppl turned up their nose on me as if I have to take a course to be a tennis fan ! It's totally crap. I maybe new to tennis, but it doesn't mean I don't know how to appreciate the game. Anyway it never be difficult to fall in love with Roger and his game.
federer_roar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
country flag avocadoe

avocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond reputeavocadoe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure but it was love at first sight I know I enjoyed his Wimby win over Pete and from then on I have been a big fan. I waited for him to agin a mind hold on himself, and he did. At IW last year, 2004, I spent so much time beside his practice court, I was afraid I'd get arrested for stalking. In 2003 also at IW he still was carrying the burden, the discrepency between what he felt he could/should be and where he was. He looked burdened. This year, all that put to rest, in looked free, light as the desert air
avocadoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #11
country flag forever_rafter

forever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond reputeforever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute

nicely said, avocadoe
forever_rafter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
User ID 4783

User ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond repute

I became a Federer fan because I simply adore his kind of play
User ID 4783 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
country flag ZaZaGook

ZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
since 2000, as a hingis fan i follow some other swiss players and niticed Roger,
Same here Daniel..
ZaZaGook is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #14
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAGIM
Same here Daniel..
Esther? Good to see ya here as well

Hopp Suisse!
Nymeria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:35 PM   #15
country flag ZaZaGook

ZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond reputeZaZaGook has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
Esther? Good to see ya here as well
Legolas? i'm not familiar with your nick here..
ZaZaGook is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote