Federer wins the 2011 Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award? - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #121
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who deserves to win the 2011 Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award?

rigged

Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #122
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
That toilet break was AO'10 and he didn't win SE award for 2010, did he?

Anyway, it is a popularity contest first and foremost. But also, Federer didn't do anything suspicious or dubious this year on the courts as far as I can remember anyway.
Even then none of the top 3 should ever be considered for this award, but it has become a parody. It's a joke lucky Edberg is a quiet guy keeps to himself, as much as I didn't like the guy, at least he was the proper sportsman unlike these 3.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #123
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Even then none of the top 3 should ever be considered for this award
I never disagreed with that. But it is voted on by the players and by the nature of it being a popularity contest (ergo, who has the most sportsmanship out of the most popular players in the world), I think Federer does have a case of being a better on court sportsman than Nadal and Djokovic.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #124
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
I never disagreed with that.
As we know, it's a popularity contest which has become a parody. Then again the ATP are clowns.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #125
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a popularity contest pure and simple, if not then Nieminen would have been nominated beforehand.

He took a toilet break to disrupt Davydenko's rhythm at the AO which he admitted, the sportsmanship award winner shouldn't be doing that.
This myth is the biggest steaming pile of ever perpetrated upon the tennis community. Here's what really happened:

In the first set, Davydenko served for the set at 5-2. He won his service game and won the set 6-2. Federer's toilet break took place at this time... during the break between sets 1 and 2! At most he might have extended an existing break by one minute. If you must take a toilet break, this would be the fairest time to do it; not in the middle of the set (even if it's on your own serve, during the longer 'changeover' break).

And it was on Federer's serve. He served to open the second set. The disrupted, disoriented, utterly shattered Davydenko quickly got up 15-40 on Federer's serve, and had another BP before Federer managed to hold. Davydenko continued in his "Playstation" mode, holding serve and then breaking Federer in Fed's next service game, then held again for 3-1 in the second set. Then Davydenko had two more break points on Federer's serve for a double break. Federer saved these bps, and managed to hold serve, then rattled off like 12 straight games or something. But that was at least 10 (if not 15 minutes) after the fateful toilet break that allegedly rendered the Russian impotent. I mean come on.

Here's the youtube for anyone who wants to revisit this part of the match
part 4 of 13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-9m...eature=related
part 5 of 13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2KD...eature=related

For a guy (Federer) who takes one toilet break every two years, and does it at the fairest time possible during a match, using this as evidence of gamesmanship is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #126
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Definition for sportsmanship:
Web definitions: fairness in following the rules of the game.

Anyone who's followed tennis cannot seriously argue that Fed has not been fair in following the rules of the game. In this sense, he fully deserves the award. Is he the only ATP player to exhibit fair play? Obviously not. But compared to Nole and Nadal, he's more deserving. And it's not his fault that more players voted for him than for Qureshi. It's also not his fault that Ferrer, Isner and Nishikori weren't nominated.

Seems to me like you're just bitter that most of whatever Roger's said about Murray has been nothing but the truth. Could he have reined in his criticisms a bit? Sure, he could have. But you can't deny that most of his criticisms have been spot on. You also can't deny that, as far as on-court behaviour and respecting the rules of the game go, Roger's one of the most impeccable players to have ever played the sport.
Can you read? From a fucking dictionary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sportsmanship
": conduct (as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport"
Only a tard would try to alter the definition of a word to narrowly define it as not explicitly violating rules on court. Um hurray for Fed? He's disrespectful and ungracious to Djokovic, Murray and others. It simply isn't good sportsmanship.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #127
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As we know, it's a popularity contest which has become a parody. Then again the ATP are clowns.
Which makes me a little pissed my parody Efan Stedberg Bad Sportsmanship Award thread was deleted.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #128
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
This myth is the biggest steaming pile of ever perpetrated upon the tennis community. Here's what really happened:

For a guy (Federer) who takes one toilet break every two years, and does it at the fairest time possible during a match, using this as evidence of gamesmanship is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
What are you failing to comprehend? The award is a joke, the fact there are players outside of the top 3 who are legit in sportsmanship stakes shows it's a popularity contest. I have no problem with Federer's press conferences when he states what he thinks, but if you are disrespecting your opponent and he has a few times, then that doesn't come across as good sportsmanship which is what the award is meant to be awarded for.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #129
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Can you read? From a fucking dictionary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sportsmanship
": conduct (as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport"
Only a tard would try to alter the definition of a word to narrowly define it as not explicitly violating rules on court. Um hurray for Fed? He's disrespectful and ungracious to Djokovic, Murray and others. It simply isn't good sportsmanship.
Search for the word "sportsmanship" here: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I don't resort to personal attacks much, but you're really just an idiot. Way to go to completely ignore Roger's tremendous respect for the rules of the game, which is as much a part of sportsmanship as graciousness and respect for one's opponent in the definiton that you highlighted, and accusing me of narrowing defining the word to suit my purpose. What a striking story. I honestly think that you're just bitter that your idol has never won a set off Roger when it truly mattered, and that Roger's been pretty much right about Murray all along.

I don't deny that Roger has his moments of lack of graciousness and being a sore loser. But YOU cannot deny that his on-court conduct has been mostly impeccable through his years as a tennis professional. People can actually LIST moments when Roger had an outburst or did something dubious on court, such as the racquet smash in Miami, because they are so far and few in between. I really don't care that people think he's a sore loser for making bitter remarks in press conferences after a loss, but it annoys me to no ends when blind haters hate him to the extent that they don't even recognise that he's played his sport with fairness and utmost respect for the rules.

And also, way to go to make it sound that he's ALWAYS disrespectful towards his rivals. What a joke.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #130
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What are you failing to comprehend? The award is a joke, the fact there are players outside of the top 3 who are legit in sportsmanship stakes shows it's a popularity contest. I have no problem with Federer's press conferences when he states what he thinks, but if you are disrespecting your opponent and he has a few times, then that doesn't come across as good sportsmanship which is what the award is meant to be awarded for.
I think what you're failing to comprehend in Kat's post is that the toilet break that you cited is not an example of an instance when Roger "disrespected his opponent".
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #131
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post

In the first set, Davydenko served for the set at 5-2. He won his service game and won the set 6-2. Federer's toilet break took place at this time... during the break between sets 1 and 2! At most he might have extended an existing break by one minute. If you must take a toilet break, this would be the fairest time to do it; not in the middle of the set (even if it's on your own serve, during the longer 'changeover' break).

And it was on Federer's serve. He served to open the second set. The disrupted, disoriented, utterly shattered Davydenko quickly got up 15-40 on Federer's serve, and had another BP before Federer managed to hold. Davydenko continued in his "Playstation" mode, holding serve and then breaking Federer in Fed's next service game, then held again for 3-1 in the second set. Then Davydenko had two more break points on Federer's serve for a double break. Federer saved these bps, and managed to hold serve, then rattled off like 12 straight games or something. But that was at least 10 (if not 15 minutes) after the fateful toilet break that allegedly rendered the Russian impotent. I mean come on.

Here's the youtube for anyone who wants to revisit this part of the match
part 4 of 13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-9m...eature=related
part 5 of 13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2KD...eature=related

Since when having a toilet break is considered gamesmanship?
Let's forbid toilet breaks, medical time outs and even tiebreaks! Players could just play to death until one of them drops! And maybe then we can consider them proper sportsmen.

And Nadal versus Fish the other day... it was so obvious that he felt sick and had some gastroenteritis. Of course he needed the toilet break! Did you want him to shit his pants? Jesus, people you are so unreasonable it's not even funny.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #132
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Search for the word "sportsmanship" here: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I don't resort to personal attacks much, but you're really just an idiot. Way to go to completely ignore Roger's tremendous respect for the rules of the game, which is as much a part of sportsmanship as graciousness and respect for one's opponent in the definiton that you highlighted, and accusing me of narrowing defining the word to suit my purpose. What a striking story. I honestly think that you're just bitter that your idol has never won a set off Roger when it truly mattered, and that Roger's been pretty much right about Murray all along.

I don't deny that Roger has his moments of lack of graciousness and being a sore loser. But YOU cannot deny that his on-court conduct has been mostly impeccable through his years as a tennis professional. People can actually LIST moments when Roger had an outburst or did something dubious on court, such as the racquet smash in Miami, because they are so far and few in between. I really don't care that people think he's a sore loser for making bitter remarks in press conferences after a loss, but it annoys me to no ends when blind haters hate him to the extent that they don't even recognise that he's played his sport with fairness and utmost respect for the rules.

And also, way to go to make it sound that he's ALWAYS disrespectful towards his rivals. What a joke.
How conveniently people forget Federer's beginnings. He wasn't the poster boy for good behavior on court. He would get angry, smash rackets and do everything the other players do. And then he changed. But he's always been an arrogant and sore loser, that hasn't changed one bit.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #133
country flag Roadmap

Roadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Since when having a toilet break is considered gamesmanship?
Let's forbid toilet breaks, medical time outs and even tiebreaks! Players could just play to death until one of them drops! And maybe then we can consider them proper sportsmen.

And Nadal versus Fish the other day... it was so obvious that he felt sick and had some gastroenteritis. Of course he needed the toilet break! Did you want him to shit his pants? Jesus, people you are so unreasonable it's not even funny.
Nadull would finally have been doing something entertaining on a tennis court, so why not?
Roadmap is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #134
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Federer gets such a bad rap for being "arrogant" but all of the top players are arrogant, they just show it in a different manner. Federer does it by petulant comments in interviews, Nadal and Djokovic do it by acting above the rules with their constant time delaying.

If I were a player though I'd rather their unsportsmanship come to me in words (words are just words after all, sticks and stones and all that) after the matches rather than on court while I'm playing getting bothered by their MTO's and constant delays in serving or getting retired on in a match which is an indirect way of saying "you only beat me coz I'm injured." I guess the players feel the same way I do which is why they voted Federer
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #135
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
How conveniently people forget Federer's beginnings. He wasn't the poster boy for good behavior on court. He would get angry, smash rackets and do everything the other players do. And then he changed. But he's always been an arrogant and sore loser, that hasn't changed one bit.
Exactly - he changed. He sure wasn't racking up awards for sportsmanship when he was behaving like a petulant brat on court. That's why I said "mostly" impeccable in my original post.

I don't doubt that he's a sore loser. If I had the talent that he has, I'd be damn sore about losing to people whom I deem less talented than me. (For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not implying anything about the precious top 4 in case some tard wants to start another stupid flame war. This is a general comment.) He just hides it better sometimes I guess.
Closed Thread