Federer wins the 2011 Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award? - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #106
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who deserves to win the 2011 Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post

fans and players alike recognize him as their favorite, the world is in love with him
He is our God

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #107
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how anyone can cheer this graceless thug. He can't give his opponents any credit, yet wins an award for sportsmanship? What a joke.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is online now View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #108
country flag fifthsetshootout

fifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond repute

The players and fans vote for it. End of discussion. If you're a Novak stan or a Muzz stan, I'm sure neither of your players voted for Fed. Fed won anyway, and the fan favorite award too.

I can understand your grievances against Fed, but I'm not sure that depreciates the value of his Sportsmanship Award to the extent that you imply it does. Are you then implying that Novak should win the award for sportsmanship? After retiring three points from defeat in a match he clearly stated he was capable of completing? Are you implying Muzz should have won the award, with his regular obscenity-strewn temper? Or Rafa, who has faced complaints about his time between serves and a couple of his MTOs?

I'm not implying each player is a bad sport and some of these issues are controversial (time, MTOs), with each side having valid points. My point is that Fed is no more flawed than any of your respective players. You can wax on for hours about how XYZ would "never say this about an opponent," but on-court conduct also speaks volumes about the way your opponents will perceive you. On court this year, Fed played his matches with minimal fuss and not too many stand-out incidents--he plays at a quick pace, he doesn't retire from matches (strategically or non-strategically), and he's rarely mouthed off at himself or others.

A perfect composite of the winner of the sportsmanship award would have Fed's on-court manners, Novak's graciousness as a loser, and Rafa's ability to give credit to his opponents. Fed may lack the third, Rafa may lack the second, and Novak/Rafa may lack the first. If Novak had won sportsmanship, people'd be talking about how ridiculous it is for him to receive the award, after retiring three points from defeat in Cincinnati. And so on and so forth.

You know the award is voted by the players, you know that even if Qureshi seems like a lock-in for the award, that the "popularity-based" nature of the award also renders his candidacy an unlikely proposal. So stop with the bitter sniping and the clawing and the passive-aggressive praising of other players as a means to attack the one you're really angry about. Stop and do give a thought to what attributes Fed brings with him to the court. 2011 may be the last year he wins the award, but he's won it 6-7 times now and he's won the Fan Favorite 9 times. There's no way you can dismiss those basic facts. Each time, the players and fans voted for him. Either hold your own private vote and pity-party, or quiet down on the sniping front.
fifthsetshootout is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #109
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthsetshootout View Post
The players and fans vote for it. End of discussion. If you're a Novak stan or a Muzz stan, I'm sure neither of your players voted for Fed. Fed won anyway, and the fan favorite award too.

I can understand your grievances against Fed, but I'm not sure that depreciates the value of his Sportsmanship Award to the extent that you imply it does. Are you then implying that Novak should win the award for sportsmanship? After retiring three points from defeat in a match he clearly stated he was capable of completing? Are you implying Muzz should have won the award, with his regular obscenity-strewn temper? Or Rafa, who has faced complaints about his time between serves and a couple of his MTOs?

I'm not implying each player is a bad sport and some of these issues are controversial (time, MTOs), with each side having valid points. My point is that Fed is no more flawed than any of your respective players. You can wax on for hours about how XYZ would "never say this about an opponent," but on-court conduct also speaks volumes about the way your opponents will perceive you. On court this year, Fed played his matches with minimal fuss and not too many stand-out incidents--he plays at a quick pace, he doesn't retire from matches (strategically or non-strategically), and he's rarely mouthed off at himself or others.

A perfect composite of the winner of the sportsmanship award would have Fed's on-court manners, Novak's graciousness as a loser, and Rafa's ability to give credit to his opponents. Fed may lack the third, Rafa may lack the second, and Novak/Rafa may lack the first. If Novak had won sportsmanship, people'd be talking about how ridiculous it is for him to receive the award, after retiring three points from defeat in Cincinnati. And so on and so forth.

You know the award is voted by the players, you know that even if Qureshi seems like a lock-in for the award, that the "popularity-based" nature of the award also renders his candidacy an unlikely proposal. So stop with the bitter sniping and the clawing and the passive-aggressive praising of other players as a means to attack the one you're really angry about. Stop and do give a thought to what attributes Fed brings with him to the court. 2011 may be the last year he wins the award, but he's won it 6-7 times now and he's won the Fan Favorite 9 times. There's no way you can dismiss those basic facts. Each time, the players and fans voted for him. Either hold your own private vote and pity-party, or quiet down on the sniping front.
Standing ovation for this wonderful post.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #110
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
I concur.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #111
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
It really is a good post, hope Djokovic and Nadal fans actually read it and don't just reply to it with their usual "neener-neener, our faves won slams this year" rhetorics.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #112
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
I don't know how anyone can cheer this graceless thug. He can't give his opponents any credit, yet wins an award for sportsmanship? What a joke.
Bitter much?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #113
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
We'll see when Nole is already 30 yo old man, see if by then he will have won 16 slams, 5 YEC, 237 consecutive weeks as #1, Stefan Edberg's sportsmanship award for 7th consecutive year, and Fan's favorite award for 9th consecutive year.
We'll also see if Nole will be able to get to Slams final and win Master by the time he is 30.
But in the decline thread, doing this at 30-years-old doesn't mean shit Why are you making a big deal about it in THIS thread? Oh damn, I forgot. Right now, it's convenient.
MIMIC is online now View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #114
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthsetshootout View Post

What a load of bullshit. Fed isn't a good sport because he snipes at players in interviews and tries to detract from their victories and accomplishments. Qureshi or some other player outside of the top 4, that actually displayed a modicum of good sportsmanship. Ferrer or Isner or Nishikori or almost anyone would have been better.
"So stop with the bitter sniping and the clawing and the passive-aggressive praising" Maybe you should tell Mr. Sportsmanship that!

Seriously, every player has fans that make absurd arguments and down other players to support their own favorite. Federer is the only top player to stoop to the level of his tards in interviews.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is online now View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #115
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
his opponents don't seem to mind, as they voted for him
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #116
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What a load of bullshit. Fed isn't a good sport because he snipes at players in interviews and tries to detract from their victories and accomplishments. Qureshi or some other player outside of the top 4, that actually displayed a modicum of good sportsmanship. Ferrer or Isner or Nishikori or almost anyone would have been better.
"So stop with the bitter sniping and the clawing and the passive-aggressive praising" Maybe you should tell Mr. Sportsmanship that!

Seriously, every player has fans that make absurd arguments and down other players to support their own favorite. Federer is the only top player to stoop to the level of his tards in interviews.
A lot of Federer fans (including myself) will agree with you that players like Ferrer, Isner and Nishikori deserves this award more than Federer but it is somewhat a popularity contest and it's honestly mostly a contest between the top players. And between the three most popular players in the world, there is no clear cut case you can make that Djokovic deserves it more than Federer or Nadal deserves it more than Djokovic, and so on and so forth. Because all three players have their faults which is what fifthsetshootout have said.

Mostly, I think SE award is for fair play and as Federer never retires from matches, and I can't even remember the last time Federer asked for an MTO, he doesn't do time delaying tactics - he is considered a fair sportsman on court where it matters the most. Maybe his post match conferences comments leave a lot to be desired, but on court he is a sportsman and I guess in the end, that's what won him this award.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #117
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Definition for sportsmanship:
Web definitions: fairness in following the rules of the game.

Anyone who's followed tennis cannot seriously argue that Fed has not been fair in following the rules of the game. In this sense, he fully deserves the award. Is he the only ATP player to exhibit fair play? Obviously not. But compared to Nole and Nadal, he's more deserving. And it's not his fault that more players voted for him than for Qureshi. It's also not his fault that Ferrer, Isner and Nishikori weren't nominated.

Seems to me like you're just bitter that most of whatever Roger's said about Murray has been nothing but the truth. Could he have reined in his criticisms a bit? Sure, he could have. But you can't deny that most of his criticisms have been spot on. You also can't deny that, as far as on-court behaviour and respecting the rules of the game go, Roger's one of the most impeccable players to have ever played the sport.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #118
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
A lot of Federer fans (including myself) will agree with you that players like Ferrer, Isner and Nishikori deserves this award more than Federer but it is somewhat a popularity contest and it's honestly mostly a contest between the top players. And between the three most popular players in the world, there is no clear cut case you can make that Djokovic deserves it more than Federer or Nadal deserves it more than Djokovic, and so on and so forth. Because all three players have their faults which is what fifthsetshootout have said.

Mostly, I think SE award is for fair play and as Federer never retires from matches, and I can't even remember the last time Federer asked for an MTO, he doesn't do time delaying tactics - he is considered a fair sportsman on court where it matters the most. Maybe his post match conferences comments leave a lot to be desired, but on court he is a sportsman and I guess in the end, that's what won him this award.
It's a popularity contest pure and simple, if not then Nieminen would have been nominated beforehand.

He took a toilet break to disrupt Davydenko's rhythm at the AO which he admitted, the sportsmanship award winner shouldn't be doing that.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #119
country flag rickcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
It's a popularity contest pure and simple, if not then Nieminen would have been nominated beforehand.

He took a toilet break to disrupt Davydenko's rhythm at the AO which he admitted, the sportsmanship award winner shouldn't be doing that.
That toilet break was AO'10 and he didn't win SE award for 2010, did he?

Anyway, it is a popularity contest first and foremost. But also, Federer didn't do anything suspicious or dubious this year on the courts as far as I can remember anyway.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #120
country flag tripwires

Nadal won it in 2010 and he did a lot of things last year which the recipient shouldn't be doing, most of which (if not all) Roger has never done.
Closed Thread